PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk rock n roll

Johnny70
06-27-2012, 08:54 PM
hey we could actualy have a thread about music? probably go over like a lead ballon...

how many bands today sound as good or better live than studio cuts? where is the "actual talent" in rock n roll today? what do you think of all the old timers rocking the stage in thier sixties?

Babytway
06-27-2012, 08:56 PM
pfft sorry i thought this thread said rob em and roll em

Paulio
06-27-2012, 08:57 PM
As I said in another thread, Led Zepellin = greatest band of all time

Babytway
06-27-2012, 08:59 PM
As I said in another thread, Led Zepellin = greatest band of all time

i could agree with that

Johnny70
06-27-2012, 09:00 PM
pfft sorry i thought this thread said rob em and roll em
lol thats why I love you

Steve0
06-27-2012, 09:01 PM
The band COLD

Johnny70
06-27-2012, 09:01 PM
As I said in another thread, Led Zepellin = greatest band of all time pretty much agree with you on this one cp gotta toss Pink Floyd in the same style, era-acid rock at its finest without a doubt

Johnny70
06-27-2012, 09:04 PM
The band COLD in no relation whatsoever to CK. the murderess of Kurt? Woody's squeeze when he played Larry?

mnju_03
06-27-2012, 09:07 PM
Johnny Cash. End of story.

Steve0
06-27-2012, 09:10 PM
I will just edit it.

Johnny70
06-27-2012, 09:13 PM
johnny cash, interesting carrer, kind of sad at the end.. the man in black. I had an aunt that I used to stay with for a couple of weeks in the summer when I was a kid that played johnny cash albums all day long, reminds me of her when I hear his songs..

Maniaxe
06-27-2012, 09:22 PM
what do you think of all the old timers rocking the stage in thier sixties?
Within the past ten years or so I have been lucky enough to see a fair amount of "Classic" Rock shows including Styx, Peter Frampton, The Eagles, Black Sabbath (Original), BB King, Bob Dylan, John Cougar Mellencamp, ZZ Top, Joe Walsh, Kiss, Eric Clapton, Willy Nelson, Steely Dan, Alice Cooper, and probably a few others that I had a bit to much fun at and can't remember.

While some where great because I thought i would never see them (Black Sabbath) and others where great because I simply loved the band. The greatest show I have ever seen from a performance point of view is surprisingly a hands down tie between KISS and John Cougar Mellencamp. Most of them put on a good show, but those two absolutely killed it. The pure amount of energy that was put out from a few guys and a road crew was incredible. Mellancamp for the surprising amount of energy he put out and KISS for the shear amount of theatrics involved was astounding.

What about you guys what has the best show you have ever seen and why?

Chester78
06-27-2012, 09:23 PM

I love you.

Paulio
06-27-2012, 09:25 PM
pretty much agree with you on this one cp gotta toss Pink Floyd in the same style, era-acid rock at its finest without a doubt

No doubt. Can't have a conversation about great bands without mentioning Pink Floyd.

Steve0
06-27-2012, 09:27 PM
Metallica and Godsmack Epic. Korn, 10 year, Mudvain also awesome

Maniaxe
06-27-2012, 09:39 PM
I didn't like Korn until I saw them live great musicians. Would love to see Metallica live, I got to see Slayer once and my entire damn body ached for days after the show.

Johnny70
06-27-2012, 09:40 PM
What about you guys what has the best show you have ever seen and why?[/QUOTE]

some of the best concerts Ive been to were because of the whole experiance, my wife made me go to a rod stewart concert "back in the day" and it was a great show and a momorable (misspelling intended it was the night our first daughter was concieved) and the Stevie Ray Vaughn concert I was so intoxified I ended up getting my azz kicked by these two guys whose girlfriends I kind of projectile vomited on (you wernt at that show were you wizzy?) it wasnt that big a deal it was raining out... it was Stevie's last show, I wish I remembered more of it...

Nyx
06-27-2012, 09:42 PM
johnny cash, interesting carrer, kind of sad at the end.. the man in black. I had an aunt that I used to stay with for a couple of weeks in the summer when I was a kid that played johnny cash albums all day long, reminds me of her when I hear his songs..

Why sad? His version of "Hurt" was pretty kick ass.

That said, love NIN...Trent, yum.

Steve0
06-27-2012, 09:46 PM
I have seen Metallica twice once in 1996 and in 2003, Korn also twice both were awesome shows. Man I really miss going to concerts.

Johnny70
06-27-2012, 09:50 PM
how about the first concert you ever went to? mine was J. Giles band. we went in a old caddilac hearse, there was five of us all guys with a 1\4 barrel of pabst blue ribbon in a wash tup of ice the back... flirtin with disaster before Molly Hatchet existed..lol never had much luck picking up chicks in that ride for some reason though...

dudeman
06-27-2012, 09:51 PM
Rush is awesome live.

Aerosmith is awesome live. I had a scream fight with Steven Tyler when I saw them. He had a mic, so he won, but every time it was my turn he would toss the mic stand in the air, catch the base of it, and point the mic in the direction of where I was in the arena, so he tried to make it fair!

Mötley Crüe is awesome live. The first time I saw them was when they opened that Aerosmith show (on a Monday night). My buddies and I were the loudest in the crowd (and probably the most intoxicated) and when we shut up for one song to save something for Aerosmith Tommy Lee stood up and asked "Where the fcuk are those loud guys over there?" while pointing right at us. So we had to stand up and be loud again and Tommy was all "Aw fcuk yeah, I fcukin love that sh!t!!!"

Van Halen w/ David Lee Roth is awesome live.

Deep Purple w/ a full orchestra is pretty cool live, but it didn't feel right without Richie Blackmore, and whatever the singing dude's name is, he doesn't sound like the records, probably due to age or too much cigarettes.

I think those are all the classic bands I've seen, but I could be wrong. I've seen Rush and Mötley Crüe twice each, and a bunch of more recent bands over the past 12 years.

Johnny70
06-27-2012, 09:54 PM
Why sad? His version of "Hurt" was pretty kick ass.

That said, love NIN...Trent, yum.

what was that song he did after june carter died? I saw the video and thought it was depressing not saying a bad song or anything just not how I would have liked to remember him..

Paulio
06-27-2012, 09:56 PM
Best shows I've ever been to, based on anything from the music, to the venue, to the atmosphere, to the experience. Here they are in no particular order:

Rolling Stones at Dodger Stadium (never thought I'd see 'em live)
Radiohead at the Hollywood Bowl (the first time. This is my favorite band that is still together)
The Mars Volta at the Palladium (they f*ckin rock)
Tool (mosh pit ... Need I say more?)
Incubus in a gym at UCSB (my first rock concert)
George Clinton and the Parliament Funkadelic at the same gym at UCSB (unexplainable)

Chester78
06-27-2012, 09:57 PM
how about the first concert you ever went to? mine was J. Giles band. we went in a old caddilac hearse, there was five of us all guys with a 1\4 barrel of pabst blue ribbon in a wash tup of ice the back... flirtin with disaster before Molly Hatchet existed..lol never had much luck picking up chicks in that ride for some reason though...

My first concert was Fugazi. I was 14 and I was wearing my maroon Doc Martins. I was also wearing a choker necklace. I blame it on the nineties.

Nyx
06-27-2012, 09:58 PM
what was that song he did after june carter died? I saw the video and thought it was depressing not saying a bad song or anything just not how I would have liked to remember him..

That must have been "Hurt", I loved it but yeah, it is a melancholy song.

Steve0
06-27-2012, 10:01 PM
Steve Miller band kinda, the one I remeber as my true first was AC/DC

Nyx
06-27-2012, 10:02 PM
Best shows I've ever been to, based on anything from the music, to the venue, to the atmosphere, to the experience. Here they are in no particular order:

Rolling Stones at Dodger Stadium (never thought I'd see 'em live)
Radiohead at the Hollywood Bowl (the first time. This is my favorite band that is still together)
The Mars Volta at the Palladium (they f*ckin rock)
Tool (mosh pit ... Need I say more?)
Incubus in a gym at UCSB (my first rock concert)
George Clinton and the Parliament Funkadelic at the same gym at UCSB (unexplainable)

Radiohead! I would kill to see them live!!! Actually, I'd love to see most of the bands on your list.

Johnny70
06-27-2012, 10:03 PM
Rush is awesome live.

Aerosmith is awesome live. I had a scream fight with Steven Tyler when I saw them. He had a mic, so he won, but every time it was my turn he would toss the mic stand in the air, catch the base of it, and point the mic in the direction of where I was in the arena, so he tried to make it fair!

Mötley Crüe is awesome live. The first time I saw them was when they opened that Aerosmith show (on a Monday night). My buddies and I were the loudest in the crowd (and probably the most intoxicated) and when we shut up for one song to save something for Aerosmith Tommy Lee stood up and asked "Where the fcuk are those loud guys over there?" while pointing right at us. So we had to stand up and be loud again and Tommy was all "Aw fcuk yeah, I fcukin love that sh!t!!!"

Van Halen w/ David Lee Roth is awesome live.

Deep Purple w/ a full orchestra is pretty cool live, but it didn't feel right without Richie Blackmore, and whatever the singing dude's name is, he doesn't sound like the records, probably due to age or too much cigarettes.

I think those are all the classic bands I've seen, but I could be wrong. I've seen Rush and Mötley Crüe twice each, and a bunch of more recent bands over the past 12 years.
all good bands for sure. I liked VH much better with DLR that was where he belonged, sammy was great in montrose. Ritchie was awsome with rainbow and deep purple.. deep purple, wow does anybody remember Tommy Bolin? check out Tommy Bolin - Private eyes good stuff.. damn I'm old lol

Paulio
06-27-2012, 10:06 PM
all good bands for sure. I liked VH much better with DLR that was where he belonged, sammy was great in montrose. Ritchie was awsome with rainbow and deep purple.. deep purple, wow does anybody remember Tommy Bolin? check out Tommy Bolin - Private eyes good stuff.. damn I'm old lol

You listen to Montrose? Awesome. I got a good buddy that played bass with Ronnie Montrose in a bunch of gigs over the last decade. Did you know he passed away earlier this year?

Paulio
06-27-2012, 10:08 PM
Radiohead! I would kill to see them live!!! Actually, I'd love to see most of the bands on your list.

You're in luck. They're touring right now.

Johnny70
06-27-2012, 10:11 PM
You listen to Montrose? Awesome. I got a good buddy that played base with Ronnie Montrose in a bunch of gigs over the last decade. Did you know he passed away earlier this year?
yeah man bummed me out when I heard, sat down broke out a fatty and listened to some hot sweet and sticky rock and roll to salute the man and his music!

DoubleBarrelMob
06-27-2012, 10:14 PM
Tom Petty is great, still rocks.

Best show was Billy Idol, Mobile Alabama, 1984. ( could be the best because that was my first concert)

Paulio
06-27-2012, 10:16 PM
yeah man bummed me out when I heard, sat down broke out a fatty and listened to some hot sweet and sticky rock and roll to salute the man and his music!

Yeah bro. Nice thread by the way. I enjoy hearing about others' concert experiences.

Johnny70
06-27-2012, 10:17 PM

wow dude over 30 posts and not one single unpleasant hater post, thats got to be a record for the forum as of late, congrats to all involved!

Johnny70
06-27-2012, 10:22 PM
Tom Petty is great, still rocks.

Best show was Billy Idol, Mobile Alabama, 1984. ( could be the best because that was my first concert)
tom petty and the heartbreakers awsome band. tom petty's not a half bad actor in "the postman" movie either

Chester78
06-27-2012, 10:33 PM

Radiohead is my favorite band, but $250 for the cheapest ticket? Bullsh$t.

Paulio
06-27-2012, 10:40 PM
Radiohead is my favorite band, but $250 for the cheapest ticket? Bullsh$t.

Ouch. That is steep. You can prob wait until their next tour. This one is in support of their most recent album, the king of limbs, which is pretty much a sh*t sandwich. They're my fav band too

Fredo
06-27-2012, 10:47 PM
The Who, Iron Maiden and Weezer. I could live with just those bands.

Paulio
06-27-2012, 10:48 PM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Sublime. I freakin love those guys.

Steve0
06-27-2012, 10:56 PM
Tesla also a good one.

Johnny70
06-27-2012, 10:59 PM
Radiohead is my favorite band, but $250 for the cheapest ticket? Bullsh$t. I would have to dig up the stub(im pretty sure I still have it) but I think my first concert, big venue at the colliseum, was $7.50 all general addmission... these days its hard to beat the deals at summerfest in Milwaukee and wjjo band camp in Madison. we also have a taste of madison thing on the capitol square with a free stage on each of the four corners... awsome time..

Johnny70
06-27-2012, 11:11 PM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Sublime. I freakin love those guys.
I'll toss out a couple see if anybody ever heard of... tommy bolin was a good one, cheap trick is a easy one how about jesus lizard? summer haze?

sexkitteh
06-27-2012, 11:44 PM
I saw these guys not long ago at a smaller venue... EXCELLENT BAND!!! I paid 15bucks cover to get into the bar/venue...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvCq2hmlasM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEKP2ZNWoTA&feature=related

Maniaxe
06-28-2012, 04:38 AM
Ohh wow The Jesus Lizard is one that rarely comes up in conversation. I always liked a lot of early punk that cam out of Texas. Ever listen to Dead Horse?

Max Power
06-28-2012, 04:49 AM
I saw Clapton and Muddy Waters on the slowhand tour in 1977. Also saw one of Van Halens first shows after Running with the Devil started getting airplay. 11th row of a 2000 person theater. Couldn't hear for days after.

Swearengen
06-28-2012, 05:59 AM

+1 mnju_03

Swearengen
06-28-2012, 06:00 AM
Not the greatest band ever but a damn good one that sounds great in concert...Flogging Molly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr46RJs0ixE

Dangerous Greg
06-28-2012, 06:15 AM
My first concert was Fugazi. I was 14 and I was wearing my maroon Doc Martins. I was also wearing a choker necklace. I blame it on the nineties.

For some reason I always liked the choker necklace look. Maybe its just wistful memories of the 90s or the fact that I was too shy to ask the girls in choker necklaces out on a date.... <sigh>

sexkitteh
06-28-2012, 08:05 AM
Not the greatest band ever but a damn good one that sounds great in concert...Flogging Molly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr46RJs0ixE

Flogging Molly is amazing as well as Dropkick Murphys - Saw them last june as well... for the 5th time... great show as always :D

joaquim
06-28-2012, 08:07 AM
Why hasn't anyone mentioned Nirvana, or System of a Down, or Rage Against The Machine?

sexkitteh
06-28-2012, 08:09 AM
Why hasn't anyone mentioned Nirvana, or System of a Down, or Rage Against The Machine?

Cause they sound terrible live! LoL

I've seen rage and sod live... sod was actually very good...

and rage was good but it was more about the energy...

joaquim
06-28-2012, 08:27 AM
Cause they sound terrible live! LoL

It was only the singing when Nirvana performed live. Kurt would sing bad on purpose except when they were on MTV Unplugged.

DoubleBarrelMob
06-28-2012, 08:28 AM
tom petty and the heartbreakers awsome band. tom petty's not a half bad actor in "the postman" movie either

He is hilarious as "lucky" on king of the hill!

Khayman
06-28-2012, 08:58 AM
Live concerts. Khayman's curriculum vitae:

Triana (mytical and old spanish rock)
Mano Negra
Queen
Tina Turner
Michael Jackson (invited)
Deep Purple
BB King & Gary Moore
Dire Straits
Rolling Stones
The Boss with the Y Street Band

With exceptions* there are not any pernonality in rock today. All is sh1t and Justin Bieber and some sissy musicians send millions. Then i expand my horizonts with classic music, specially opera and baroque looking for some drama and originality.

I'm more decadent as rockfan than as operafan. Enought said my bros. :mad:

* Theese are, for me, the best bands today. And they are not young.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hcyzb9xGqvM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juY5ca1-LxE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz7pHb4QFUw

sexkitteh
06-28-2012, 09:03 AM
Live concerts. Khayman's curriculum vitae:

Triana (mytical and old spanish rock)
Mano Negra
Queen
Tina Turner
Michael Jackson (invited)
Deep Purple
BB King & Gary Moore
Dire Straits
Rolling Stones
The Boss with the Y Street Band

With exceptions* there are not any pernonality in rock today. All is sh1t and Justin Bieber and some sissy musicians send millions. Then i expand my horizonts with classic music, specially opera and baroque looking for some drama and originality.

I'm more decadent as rockfan than as operafan. Enought said my bros. :mad:

* Theese are, for me, the best bands today. And they are not young.

Bersuit Vergarabat

Buenisimo...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjlYbw9WbHU&noredirect=1

Khayman
06-28-2012, 09:06 AM
And three underrated bands of the past.

Perhaps the best white bluesman ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3LEhfbKCSc

Come at those modaf0kas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9C91dQFxjM

Not only the amazing drums skill but also the guitars and bass 1:16, 2:13 or 3:05. This song is an point of inflexion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8__EwAT8VM

Khayman
06-28-2012, 09:08 AM
I have not sound here but i'll listen after. Thanks sexkitteh.

Swearengen
06-28-2012, 09:57 AM
Flogging Molly is amazing as well as Dropkick Murphys - Saw them last june as well... for the 5th time... great show as always :D

Think I have seen 7 of 8 Green 17 tours

Coco c
06-28-2012, 11:07 AM
Maybe not everyone's cup of tea but Melissa Etheridge is one kicka$$ rocker. She is way better in person than on her albums(her earlier stuff is better) Steve Miller impressed me because I had no idea that he was so talented on the guitar, or any of the 10 or so stringed instruments that he played. Def Leppard...nostalgic reasons. I saw them with Billy Idol, awesome show. Three Days Grace and The Tragically Hip are also fantastic live. I enjoy most of the music that has been mentioned so far but haven't seen any of them live. I'd love to go to more concerts but the price for most concerts is too much for my budget. I settle for seeing live bands at the pub near my house...

Johnny70
06-29-2012, 07:12 AM
This was a great thread full of diverse thoughts and music. amazing how music can bring people together to talk decently to each other on here. Thank you and kudos to all who contributed!

Khayman
06-29-2012, 07:26 AM
Two underrated harmonicists:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFRMBWgyH-M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBeuco0PgJs

Khayman
06-29-2012, 07:29 AM
And two underrated guitars:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxkzluURe7g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWLw7nozO_U

Khayman
06-29-2012, 07:30 AM
A rock thread without CCR is like a garden without flowers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAVhKjsImeI

Paulio
06-29-2012, 09:20 AM
Nice videos, but Stevie Ray wasn't underrated bro. Dude gets props!