PDA

View Full Version : Why ban accounts and not IP addresses?

QPR
06-27-2012, 02:38 PM
Simple really, same plums getting banned then turning up 5 minutes later under a different alias.

I wouldn't mind too much if the banter was decent but to be frank I've had better banter with my koi carp.

SevenO9
06-27-2012, 02:42 PM
Could you elaborate on the term IP ban? My device (iPad 3G) changes IP more than daily as I roam WiFi and/or 3G networks.

Populouspapa
06-27-2012, 02:58 PM
Could you elaborate on the term IP ban? My device (iPad 3G) changes IP more than daily as I roam WiFi and/or 3G networks.

+111111111111

QPR
06-27-2012, 03:00 PM
Sure

For instance my ipad is with vodafone so resolves

vodafone.co.uk > 86.53.56.14 or xx.xx.xx.xxx

My point being whether your physical address changes the alias remain the same, these are the ones to ban

Funzio once mistakenly banned access from my vodafone address because of people causing trouble on this forum with the same alias, alas i can only assume it was the plum hatter

upsman_17
06-27-2012, 03:00 PM
Simple really, same plums getting banned then turning up 5 minutes later under a different alias.

I wouldn't mind too much if the banter was decent but to be frank I've had better banter with my koi carp.

When you're home watching TV and a show comes on that you don't like, do you keep watching the show while incessantly complaining about it or do you change the channel?

Change the channel dude.

QPR
06-27-2012, 03:01 PM
+111111111111

read and digest

QPR
06-27-2012, 03:02 PM
When you're home watching TV and a show comes on that you don't like, do you keep watching the show while incessantly complaining about it or do you change the channel?

Change the channel dude.

What about if every channel was showing the same sh1t?

Hence my point..........

Dipstik
06-27-2012, 03:05 PM
They should just ban Europe.

upsman_17
06-27-2012, 03:07 PM
What about if every channel was showing the same sh1t?

Hence my point..........

But that's not the case....your hate is clouding your judgement.

upsman_17
06-27-2012, 03:10 PM

I just went back in the general section and counted nine different ingame related thread topics not involving OT, drama/gang wars, or any other "nonsense". Have at those ones.

QPR
06-27-2012, 03:11 PM

Not hating at all. Some people don't like hearing the truth and need to grow a pair.

Sasha54
06-27-2012, 03:15 PM
The forum is being degraded due to a certain handful of people.
Yes you can ignore certain threads, but threads that start out good are soon turned into crap by trolls and idiots who have nothing better to do........how does one avoid that.

I've been on lots of forums of different types but none where this was allowed - it's a joke really. But maybe this is the Japanese model....

QPR
06-27-2012, 03:23 PM
The forum is being degraded due to a certain handful of people.
Yes you can ignore certain threads, but threads that start out good are soon turned into crap by trolls and idiots who have nothing better to do........how does one avoid that.

I've been on lots of forums of different types but none where this was allowed - it's a joke really. But maybe this is the Japanese model....

Well said Sasha and my thoughts entirely

upsman_17
Not hating at all. Some people don't like hearing the truth and need to grow a pair.

Yes, we all here your truth repeatedly. Try on some new pants, big boy.

And I'll get right on growing that pair for ya. Ima do you real proud someday with my giganticus nuticuses. ;)

SevenO9
The obvious explanation is the lack of moderators ...

QPR
06-27-2012, 03:26 PM
The obvious explanation is the lack of moderators ...

ccm says this is coming but now is the time imho. I run a number of successful football forums and we don't let trolls play their games

Sasha54
06-27-2012, 03:28 PM
ccm says this is coming but now is the time imho. I run a number of successful football forums and we don't let trolls play their games

I complained to CCM today but his response was less than satisfactory.....

Ramshutu
06-27-2012, 03:46 PM
You say 'hand out an IP ban' now.... But you would be the first to kick, scream, cry and moan if you happened to be in the same IP block as the offender.

sexkitteh
06-27-2012, 03:48 PM
You say 'hand out an IP ban' now.... But you would be the first to kick, scream, cry and moan if you happened to be in the same IP block as the offender.

Actually that would be awesome... next time Sasha gets banned (heaven forbid) she can't use her fake husbands account :) or friend... or bf... or son... or whatever she wants to call him lolzzzz

She got good imagination though :)

Sasha54
06-27-2012, 03:50 PM
Actually that would be awesome... next time Sasha gets banned (heaven forbid) she can't use her fake husbands account :) or friend... or bf... or son... or whatever she wants to call him lolzzzz

She got good imagination though :)

Don't be jealous - single mommy.........

QPR
06-27-2012, 03:52 PM

I had that problem thanks to hatter but alas CCM seen i was legit

Get your fact straight

Crime City Mark
06-27-2012, 03:59 PM
See, now we have 3 people off-topic and derailing a thread in a thread complaining about bad threads.

The reason I don't IP ban is because it hits a huge swath of people. I've banned a few IPs, and a couple of ranges. It's also really, really easy to change your external IP.

Dipstik
06-27-2012, 04:03 PM
Can we ban all the soccer threads?

QPR
06-27-2012, 04:11 PM
See, now we have 3 people off-topic and derailing a thread in a thread complaining about bad threads.

The reason I don't IP ban is because it hits a huge swath of people. I've banned a few IPs, and a couple of ranges. It's also really, really easy to change your external IP.

Like i said i too have been the victim of that but surely you must understand the need for permanent moderators

I run 3 football forums and we hit the trolls hard hence they dont come back for seconds....

I'd throw my name in the hat if you are looking for forum mods

joaquim
06-27-2012, 04:27 PM
Can we ban all the soccer threads?

No. The soccer threads are some of the only threads that don't get overtaken by trolls and there's nothing wrong with soccer.

psxnitro
06-27-2012, 04:32 PM

Using SNID is a much better way

Paulio
06-27-2012, 04:36 PM

And how many times have you tried to turn this into a football forum? Take your own advice bro

Dipstik
06-27-2012, 04:36 PM
No. The soccer threads are some of the only threads that don't get overtaken by trolls and there's nothing wrong with soccer.

That's because they're too annoying to even troll

upsman_17
06-27-2012, 05:05 PM

Lol. It's a self perpetuating cycle I tell ya. :)

Eyelusion
06-27-2012, 05:09 PM

Hahahaaa! I thought this was hilarious! Welcome to the Crime City Forums...

NotHappyatU
06-27-2012, 08:17 PM

Who...are you...talking about?

Swifty
06-27-2012, 11:45 PM
The quality of banter with koi should never be underestimated.

NTM
06-28-2012, 03:44 AM

another GM now :)

irl u make same ? delation ? i don't think u make same irl because ppl ruin fast i think.

anyway u can ban ip or account or what u think, the player who are ban can be hete all day so.. u lost time.. but i see many thread or post with u and all are for delation.. are u frustated ? get a life or a woman maybe u can be more happy ...

QPR
06-28-2012, 07:53 AM
another GM now :)

irl u make same ? delation ? i don't think u make same irl because ppl ruin fast i think.

anyway u can ban ip or account or what u think, the player who are ban can be hete all day so.. u lost time.. but i see many thread or post with u and all are for delation.. are u frustated ? get a life or a woman maybe u can be more happy ...

Repeat again. This time in English without multiple spelling mistakes and poor grammar.

Many thanks

QPR

tower
06-28-2012, 08:37 AM
http://chzmemebase.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/internet-memes-title-removed-by-us-government.png

Dipstik
06-28-2012, 08:40 AM
http://imagemacros.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/tux_picture_unrelated.jpg?w=720&h=540

Picture Unrelated

NTM
06-28-2012, 08:42 AM
Repeat again. This time in English without multiple spelling mistakes and poor grammar.

Many thanks

QPR

not a problem for me, i try to speak english and anyway not realy bad !

now try to speak french :) so.. go learn and back after u learn...

anyway get a life and stop delation here, that not ur problem if a guy is ban or not, take a wife and enjoy life, if u can for sure.

u start to flam people all time i see here, so... who need to get a real BAN ? think at this, ur not in the staff from funzio so stop to make thread like CM/GM.

no flam just a fact.

sexkitteh
06-28-2012, 09:35 AM
Don't be jealous - single mommy.........

lolz... who says I'm single? Who says I didn't run away with another partner for that matter :rolleyes:

Dreno33
06-28-2012, 09:45 AM

some ppl share the same IP? i could've sworn IP #s were the number posted on the router. ex: x.xx.xx.x or something like that. am i wrong??

sexkitteh
06-28-2012, 09:48 AM
bloopblibloop

sexkitteh
06-28-2012, 09:51 AM
In fact... it's as easy as typing "how to bypass an IP ban (http://www.d3scene.com/forum/wow-private-server-hacks/10148-how-bypass-ip-ban.html)" in google lolzzz

Dreno33
06-28-2012, 09:51 AM
Yes you are partially wrong... every COMPUTER has an IP address (share same IP if you live with someone and use the same computer)... it's like the address to a home... the router generates a personal IP address that is only known to the router and anything under said routers umbrella...

looks something like 192.168.0.101 or whatever... your computer IP is different... but it's easy enough to change it or create a fake ID if you REALLY want to troll...

OR you can just use a different computer...

I don't know how the phones work though...

o ok. makes sense. i know they have programs to randomize your IP address every 5 minutes, my grandpa used to use it back when lime wire was still up and running. hahahaha.

sexkitteh
06-28-2012, 09:53 AM
o ok. makes sense. i know they have programs to randomize your IP address every 5 minutes, my grandpa used to use it back when lime wire was still up and running. hahahaha.

I could have been wrong on how the IP ban works tho...

Dipstik
06-28-2012, 10:10 AM
When they do an IP Ban, they ban a range of IPs, not an individual one. Usually at least an entire internet service provider gets banned.

sexkitteh
06-28-2012, 10:29 AM
When they do an IP Ban, they ban a range of IPs, not an individual one. Usually at least an entire internet service provider gets banned.

OH.

Well this forum would be dead then lol

Dipstik
06-28-2012, 11:12 AM
I'd be fine with them banning .uk, honestly =P

sexkitteh
06-28-2012, 11:16 AM
I'd be fine with them banning .uk, honestly =P

LMFAO!!! And Ontario ; )

tower
06-28-2012, 11:16 AM
The censorship picture was in response to people talking about heavily moderating threads, deciding what is relevant to the conversation. Sounds pretty BS to me...

Dipstik
06-28-2012, 11:25 AM
Oh, I thought we were just posting funny pictures.

tower
06-28-2012, 11:36 AM
Oh, I thought we were just posting funny pictures.

Started a random picture thread for that yesterday :P

kykboxr
06-28-2012, 07:54 PM

I've moderated vBulletin before. If you search by IP address, it will show all users. Many times, if the user is using a shared IP address (i.e. AOL) ALL members who use AOL would fall. This site is small potatoes compared to places I've worked with, so IP banning is a simple procedure, though, moderators don't have that privilege (need admin rights).