PDA

View Full Version : Skill points - When is enough enough?

albeezy
06-21-2012, 11:52 AM
I read a post in CC talking about a guy with something like 280 attack skill points who was able to consistently win attacks against players with a defense score that was around 50K more than his attack score because of the high number of attack skill points he had (I am guessing that is relative to the amount of defense skill points those players had or attack skill points).

Has anyone tried to figure out what ratio of attack points you need to consistently beat someone with a particular number of defense skill points (or attack skill points if those are what matters)? For example, if you have 100 more skill points in Attack can you have a good chance of beating someone with 20-30k more defense than you?

I am curious because I currently have 2750 Energy, 36 Stamina, 50 Attack Skill Points, and 56 Defense Skill points, and I am considering whether to go all attack skill points for a while or all defense skill points.

War Priest
06-21-2012, 11:59 AM
It's all personal preference. Depends on how many missions/attacks you want to do at once too. Once I have 50 Stamina, 1000 Energy, I am pouring the rest into defense and attack evenly.

Fifth Reich
06-21-2012, 12:06 PM
Should I turn back to attack/defense because I have been into energy lately. I have 61 A/ 65 D

albeezy
06-21-2012, 12:18 PM
It's all personal preference. Depends on how many missions/attacks you want to do at once too. Once I have 50 Stamina, 1000 Energy, I am pouring the rest into defense and attack evenly.

I understand it is personal preference WP. I was referring to these post on the CC forum.
http://picwizz.com/u/13514-6148.jpg - a post of the guy in CC with 166k attack winning an attack on a guy with 188k defense
http://picwizz.com/u/13521-1282.jpg
http://picwizz.com/u/13522-4237.jpg

I was more interested in figuring out if there was a ratio of my skill points to my opponents skill points that would enable me to attack people with much higher defense stats than my attack and still win. Currently I have 39k attack and would not be likely to win an attack against a person with 49k defense. If I boosted my attack skill points from 50 to 200 could I?

Fifth Reich
06-21-2012, 12:21 PM
Amazing and inspireing!

War Priest
06-21-2012, 01:16 PM
Yeah, but look. He is level 200. Once you have that many skill points, you can go deep on all 4 categories.

andymac106
06-21-2012, 01:19 PM
I'm level 115 and here are mine

A: 86
D: 106
Energy: 1130
Stamina: 35

I like having my defense higher just for personal preference

albeezy
06-21-2012, 01:23 PM
Yeah, but look. He is level 200. Once you have that many skill points, you can go deep on all 4 categories.

Good point WP! Have a look below (or at my original post above).

I am curious because I currently have 2750 Energy, 36 Stamina, 50 Attack Skill Points, and 56 Defense Skill points, and I am considering whether to go all attack skill points for a while or all defense skill points.

Mcdoc
06-21-2012, 02:39 PM
I'm level 115 and here are mine

A: 86
D: 106
Energy: 1130
Stamina: 35

I like having my defense higher just for personal preference

I think the defense stat is your ultimate Secret Weapon. I have 75 (eventually to 100 if I think it will benefit me) to attack but 183 on defense, so even though guys come at me with 20k higher stats, they usually lose the battle, and MANY of them leave 30k behind because they have unvaulted cash and think by looking at the raw stats they will dominate.

Then the funny part is they go take down my level 10 Composite Factory thinking THAT's why they lost and leave another 30k because they can't see the 180+ defense stat. I had started to raise my defense in preparation of crossing over into to the Shark infested waters a few months back when it was at level 90, then got raise to 95, then was around 100. Then when I had an honorary mention as an "Elite Target" for the Pirates for a short while, I continued to raise my defense and think that is ultimately what spared me any real pain. I plan to take my defense all the way to 200 and maybe beyond :)

I don't attack as much as I used to since the Casualty Rate is STILL ridiculous, so I am Happy with 1240 energy (enough to hit Admiral Eno 3 times) and 28 Stamina (went up 3 during the PvP tourney and if they have another one, I'll probably take the to 30).

So like everyone has said, the bottom line is it is your personal preference. If you aren't having issues with Casualty Losses and are more aggressive on your attacks, then by all means, take it your attack score as high as you can. BUT if everyone is raising their attack skill, what are you really racing against? If you dominate with your boosted stats, you probably already dominate anyway and a higher att skill against a player who also builds a higher att does't really DO much. ON the other hand, if you have a "cloaked" defense score of 200 and some guy comes along with 20-30k more raw stats than you and thinks he has an easy battle coming, your invisible Razor Wire Defense stat will be there to make them give up and go away quicker and maybe even leave you some unvaulted cash along the way (happens to me EVERY day).

Personally, I prefer to leave a bitter taste in my enemies mouth so they won't come back again :) That's truly living up to "The Best Offense is a Good Defense" tactic.

I'm sure Aidan and Bronson will take that and run with it :)

Good Luck :)

Thunder Child
06-21-2012, 04:47 PM
@ McDoc

They're probably sleeping (together) so it falls to the third member of the unsavory triumvirate to caution you about leaving salty tastes in your rivals' mouths!

With you entirely on strategy, BTW - currently pushing 170 on defense and must say it keeps my Situation Report glowing green most of the time. I don't have enough time to be expending much more than 20 stamina at a sitting, so that's enough for me, and by keeping my measly 50 attack points means I have a fair idea of the true strength of my attack when I hit someone, so I rarely get caught out; it also forces me to buy the right units so that I CAN attack freely if I wish. Currently working on energy so that I can clear a certain number of Bosses at a time.....

Dreno33
06-21-2012, 04:53 PM
@McDoc ~ That is my exact plan. I personally want to reach 333 Defense with 33 Stamina. THEN increase my Attack. My income will be insane later on which mean I can keep my Army filled with all high-end Stat Air- and Sea-Attack and Defense units. Boom-shocka-locka

SeqWins
06-21-2012, 04:59 PM
I just put everything on defense..I'm sorta biased because with others games I've played being a defensive minded person can you boost your stats..if you get put on a hitlist you will get attacks from players under your level and over and every defensive skill point can help...now I know this game is different but I rarely loose a fight as a matter of fact since I have been visiting the forums I believe I've only lost < 5... and as far as Attack goes you can pretty much pick your wins as they is plenty of people with sub-par stats on both D/A

Fifth Reich
06-21-2012, 06:03 PM
@McDoc ~ That is my exact plan. I personally want to reach 333 Defense with 33 Stamina. THEN increase my Attack. My income will be insane later on which mean I can keep my Army filled with all high-end Stat Air- and Sea-Attack and Defense units. Boom-shocka-locka You are never gonna stop camping so you don't need to plan on.

SeqWins
06-21-2012, 06:06 PM
Change your signature to 31 Allies I just deleted you, nice day.

Mcdoc
06-21-2012, 06:18 PM
...if you get put on a hitlist you will get attacks from players under your level and over and every defensive skill point can help...

What you said about being on a hit list is my entire point. It's the best cloak you can have when others come a knocking. Trust me - I speak from experience :)

@Seq - edited my comment since you clarified. You can delete you other post & I'll delete this note too :)

SeqWins
06-21-2012, 06:22 PM
I did mean defense....

Cantgetright
06-21-2012, 06:31 PM
Is there a way to Re-distribute your skill points? If there is not why? Would it be beneficial to add that as a gold option to change your skill points? So if you were just learning in the beginning of the game you can adjust them to help, and say put a limit of 3 changes period....Good idea? What do you think???

Hassleham
06-22-2012, 12:35 AM
Isn't the saying the opposite?

The best defence is a good offence.

Haha.

Also, I am currently 94 attack, 47 defence and plan on putting 2 points on attack and 1 on defence every time I level until I feel like stopping.
The reason I am biased towards attack is that I am UK flag and the sea units tend to have a higher defence anyway so I'm trying to compensate for lower attack with skill points. (although I have a mix of all 4 types in my army of course).

mickymacirl
06-22-2012, 01:05 AM
Very interesting thread, after taking advice from McDoc and TC I have started to increase my skill def, currently I'm 81 att and 114 def and level 133 (nearly 134). I've plenty of energy (1540 is 4 hits on naval, with 30% extra cash from missions it can pay out very good) and 39 stamina. I don't think I need to increase these at all!

I also like the idea of been able to change your skill points averages at least a few times.

Ducati
06-22-2012, 01:38 AM
I also like the idea of been able to change your skill points averages at least a few times.

Bad idea, that would be very unfair for people who followed a strategie from day 1.
For instance I never have put one single point in attack, all in defence.
With your idea a strategy is completely useless, and would ruin my game. War is all about strategy!

Q Raider
06-22-2012, 03:12 AM
I am currently around 140 attack, 60 defense. Only started putting some to defense in the later levels cause the casualties got a bit over the top. My game plan was highly active PVP from the start.

Pity really, cause I can go around 5k over a players raw stats with that attack number and succeed in most cases.

As for the defense side of things I have also focussed on getting as many strong against into my defense as possible. Must have done something right there cause the guy with 10k more raw attack than my boosted defence is currently running at 0-4, only left one donation though....

Ashmw
06-22-2012, 04:15 AM
Currently 20/91 a/d. My ultimate goal is to have it 50/100 bfr reachin lv 100.

Kiss Of Death
06-23-2012, 09:40 PM
I understand it is personal preference WP. I was referring to these post on the CC forum.
http://picwizz.com/u/13514-6148.jpg - a post of the guy in CC with 166k attack winning an attack on a guy with 188k defense
http://picwizz.com/u/13521-1282.jpg
http://picwizz.com/u/13522-4237.jpg

I was more interested in figuring out if there was a ratio of my skill points to my opponents skill points that would enable me to attack people with much higher defense stats than my attack and still win. Currently I have 39k attack and would not be likely to win an attack against a person with 49k defense. If I boosted my attack skill points from 50 to 200 could I?

Well I cap my Stamina at 55 as it takes about an hour plus to recharge and since I check every hour or two its just enough to refill and get PvPing again. I have 10 Def skill and that's all I want, I wan to be a hitter not a sitter. I accept that this will come at a cost of being an easier target for player but it also means I can lay some serious hurt on them using my news feed to level their camp in a day and keep them stressed about not collecting income buildings and vaulting their cash as long as that news feed is there.

I do the same in CC but that's easier because you can't lose units when attacking and defending like you do in KA and MW... but I am also a triple crate buyer in MW so i have a solid undying high value base army. Both CC & MW maxed my energy at 1000 as any refill only recovers this amount (same stamina maxes refills at 50. So pure attack.

In KA I take a whole different approach with KA, where monster strength makes you so much money and gets you sooo much expensive free loot to prop up your units that can die. In that again def at 10 and attack heading towards 50, stamina at 10 but will max it at 15 (10 for max PvP and 5 for finding the target or 5x building raided, recharge taking about 30 minutes). Monster strength is at 90 now and aiming for min 100 before I start doing 1 A & D skill per level and every second level +1 Str.

KoD

Kiss Of Death
06-23-2012, 09:42 PM
I am currently around 140 attack, 60 defense. Only started putting some to defense in the later levels cause the casualties got a bit over the top. My game plan was highly active PVP from the start.

Pity really, cause I can go around 5k over a players raw stats with that attack number and succeed in most cases.

As for the defense side of things I have also focussed on getting as many strong against into my defense as possible. Must have done something right there cause the guy with 10k more raw attack than my boosted defence is currently running at 0-4, only left one donation though....

Your Def skill ONLY applies when they attack you, so to reduce PvP rates you need to ensure some soft units in your units brought to battle... remember if you have 200 low death rate units but only 3 high rate units... you'll lose low rates because the chance is per unit ! Best blend is to have at least 60-70% low death rate high attack units and 30-40% high attack cheaper high death rate units (infantry) to lose instead of your big expensive ships and planes.

Jp lfs
06-23-2012, 09:59 PM
KoD, you may want to spend some time reading some of the strategy guides available here. I'm not exactly criticizing your approach or strategy. God knows there are a thousand ways to play this game, and you have made it pretty clear that you are very confident and successful with your strategy.

I am just trying to warn you that what works really well at levels 50-80 may not be as successful in levels 90-110.

And no matter how intelligent you are, we all have room to learn a new trick or two, right?

I am just mentioning a few facts- Valor goals dry up a little in your mid-near future, opponents are suddenly much, much stronger than what you are used to, and it is increasingly more difficult to adjust your skill point distribution strategy the further along you get. So if you suddenly realize that you mis-spent those first 300 points, there is currently no way to reset them and start over, outside of resetting your entire game.

To be clear- this is NOT a criticism. It's just a suggestion to research a little, and possibly reconsider. Your approach is fairly unique, therefore high risk/reward. If it works out for you long-term, then congrats, I'm not bashing it.

Jp lfs
06-23-2012, 10:08 PM
Your Def skill ONLY applies when they attack you, so to reduce PvP rates you need to ensure some soft units in your units brought to battle... remember if you have 200 low death rate units but only 3 high rate units... you'll lose low rates because the chance is per unit ! Best blend is to have at least 60-70% low death rate high attack units and 30-40% high attack cheaper high death rate units (infantry) to lose instead of your big expensive ships and planes.

Also, where are you getting the data to back up these statistics on casualty rates? I am guessing that there are a few members on this forum that have experiences very different than what you have stated here as a cold hard fact. I'm not trying to argue. If you have a source of info that confirms this claim, we'd all be interested to know more.

On the other hand, if this is just your personal experience, it may not be an actual part of the game mechanics.

Jp lfs
06-24-2012, 06:45 AM
Bumping this thread because I have another important question-

@KoD- You have advised other players in the past to farm BP's from "friendly enemies" at your same stat level or stronger. Are you possibly a No-Casualty Glitcher? No harm if you are, it's not your fault. But the strategy you are advising would be long-term suicide to someone with regular-high casualty rates. I know JMC has consistently advised the opposite strategy. I believe Micky and JohnnyR would also back up JMC. But these players are up in the 100's, so their experiences are based on a different rival pool than yours.

Again, your personal strategy works for you, no disrespect. However, if I were to follow it myself, I would see my stats drop slowly day by day, instead of the consistent incremental increases I am achieving currently. I am simply looking for more data, and you have not responded to my other questions yet. Thank you for your time.

JohnnyR
06-24-2012, 07:39 AM
I think the beautiful thing about MW is that the game is not easily cracked. Strategies are affected by so much, visible and invisible. Reminds me of boxing lots of times-who would have thought Muhamed Ali would beat George Foreman the way he did? Q Raider is taking on bigger guys, as am I-this game simply fascinates me. Digital Walker said it best-unconventional strategies bring treasure and reward (or thereabouts).

Right now I have to figure out how the heck to bring my SH loss rate back down. Lost 8 in 900+ attacks/raids the last I kept tally, have lost 4 in less than 90 raids yesterday. This game is nuts, but I love it.

Jp lfs
06-24-2012, 11:04 PM
Ok, this is my final bump to this thread. I'm hoping the major time zone difference is the reason that KoD hasn't replied to my questions. If she doesn't post here now, I'll have to assume another reason.

**dying of curiosity now**

Q Raider
06-24-2012, 11:19 PM

Perhaps I should clarify my statement for you KOD, I only stopped putting points to attack when the casualty rate went to silly proportions and my average Valor loss per attack/raid went to over 25. Units being lost were consistently two, often three when I tried to continue hitting players close to or above my strength so I changed my attack strategy and therefore didn't feel the need to put more into attack, so stuck them onto defense instead.

At that time I had 100 flamethrower and 100 Warthogs as primary shields but it was almost as if the system went into reverse and picked from the top down rather than the bottom up. Defining moment was losing one SH, one EAD and one HM in a single battle to a player whom I got 70 BP's off and that was before they nerfed those so they weren't really a challenging target.

Kiss Of Death
06-25-2012, 04:44 AM
KoD, you may want to spend some time reading some of the strategy guides available here. I'm not exactly criticizing your approach or strategy. God knows there are a thousand ways to play this game, and you have made it pretty clear that you are very confident and successful with your strategy.I am just trying to warn you that what works really well at levels 50-80 may not be as successful in levels 90-110.And no matter how intelligent you are, we all have room to learn a new trick or two, right?I am just mentioning a few facts- Valor goals dry up a little in your mid-near future, opponents are suddenly much, much stronger than what you are used to, and it is increasingly more difficult to adjust your skill point distribution strategy the further along you get. So if you suddenly realize that you mis-spent those first 300 points, there is currently no way to reset them and start over, outside of resetting your entire game.To be clear- this is NOT a criticism. It's just a suggestion to research a little, and possibly reconsider. Your approach is fairly unique, therefore high risk/reward. If it works out for you long-term, then congrats, I'm not bashing it.No problem, I really need you to read my other two posts about gold spending and surviving the big boys and oh I can't remember the other one. I apply my own strategy and have over 100 indestructable units and deliberately maintain allies so that I only field about 80 perishable units. I no longer buy any units and just want the 2000+ drop items to DIE DIE DIE! So yes I lose a unit here and there but rarely more than 1. I'm going to add about 30 allies tonight and throw myself at the hardest players I can to try and lose 3 every time. When I finally have all my boosts and railgun destroyer ready I'll start dropping allies and buying units and adhere to my strategy of only 30% perishable units. Cheers big ears. 💋

Kiss Of Death
06-25-2012, 04:47 AM
Perhaps I should clarify my statement for you KOD, I only stopped putting points to attack when the casualty rate went to silly proportions and my average Valor loss per attack/raid went to over 25. Units being lost were consistently two, often three when I tried to continue hitting players close to or above my strength so I changed my attack strategy and therefore didn't feel the need to put more into attack, so stuck them onto defense instead.At that time I had 100 flamethrower and 100 Warthogs as primary shields but it was almost as if the system went into reverse and picked from the top down rather than the bottom up. Defining moment was losing one SH, one EAD and one HM in a single battle to a player whom I got 70 BP's off and that was before they nerfed those so they weren't really a challenging target. Facing the same horror in KA all low units dying and never the high and mediums?!!! Support tickets galore 'Being looked into"

Kiss Of Death
06-25-2012, 04:48 AM
Ok, this is my final bump to this thread. I'm hoping the major time zone difference is the reason that KoD hasn't replied to my questions. If she doesn't post here now, I'll have to assume another reason.**dying of curiosity now**Actually forgot about thread 😱 my bad

Kiss Of Death
06-25-2012, 04:52 AM
Bumping this thread because I have another important question-@KoD- You have advised other players in the past to farm BP's from "friendly enemies" at your same stat level or stronger. Are you possibly a No-Casualty Glitcher? No harm if you are, it's not your fault. But the strategy you are advising would be long-term suicide to someone with regular-high casualty rates. I know JMC has consistently advised the opposite strategy. I believe Micky and JohnnyR would also back up JMC. But these players are up in the 100's, so their experiences are based on a different rival pool than yours.Again, your personal strategy works for you, no disrespect. However, if I were to follow it myself, I would see my stats drop slowly day by day, instead of the consistent incremental increases I am achieving currently. I am simply looking for more data, and you have not responded to my other questions yet. Thank you for your time.As below I'm a gold Player and subscribe to my earlier threads I created about my strategy using gold. My advice is about getting that elusive plane at the end. I just want it to put on my shelf and take out for weekend play time. ✈ zoom. Anyway I think This flu has reduced my brain to blond mush.. Got to go open another bank card... Bye

Jp lfs
06-25-2012, 08:52 AM
No problem, I really need you to read my other two posts about gold spending and surviving the big boys and oh I can't remember the other one. I apply my own strategy and have over 100 indestructable units and deliberately maintain allies so that I only field about 80 perishable units. I no longer buy any units and just want the 2000+ drop items to DIE DIE DIE! So yes I lose a unit here and there but rarely more than 1. I'm going to add about 30 allies tonight and throw myself at the hardest players I can to try and lose 3 every time. When I finally have all my boosts and railgun destroyer ready I'll start dropping allies and buying units and adhere to my strategy of only 30% perishable units. Cheers big ears. ��

Thank you for responding. I had the impression from your other threads that you were working towards an all-gold army. Please keep in mind that many on this forum do not have that luxury, so your personal strategy would be very dangerous for a free player to try to use. The data numbers you used for meat shields was what triggered my question.

Again, thanks for replying, I understand much better where you are coming from now. Respect.