PDA

View Full Version : A discussion about events

Coog
06-21-2012, 06:25 AM
Okay, here’s me hoping we could have a discussion about events with out it going overboard in disappointment rage. My take on the events, I don’t quite like them. I think the reason we all like this type of games is because we are builders at heart. We like to build up our kingdoms, build our stats and finding the best strategy to do so. That is the essence of the game.

But building isn’t fun if you haven’t anyone to compare your build against. It’s the competitiveness of this game that makes it addictive. And you don’t want to lose ground. That is why I feel these events are making the game less fun to play.

Let’s face it a 20 percent increase of honor points and 20 percent less casualty rate is a game breaking advantages.

The minor tweaks you try to implement your self is rendered useless in the shadow of these boosted accounts.

I actually started playing Crime City a while ago but dropped the game after failing to get the explosive dices, which would have given me 25 percent less upgrade time. That’s the big one, and if the run that event in KA and I fail that one to, I’ll drop this game as well.

So, in my opinion, the rewards in the events are just to great. Leave it with the unit and the stats and scrap the extra benefits. They just have to much impact on the game to be the prizes in a lottery event.

roghorrorfreak
06-21-2012, 06:41 AM
I love games that you can build up your kingdoms or cities, armies ect. I also like to collect the different chars you can get in the games, along with the differnt buildings. I like the events because it gives me a chance to get some chars that I would not be able to get unless I bought them. If I had a good job (which I do not thanks to our lovely economy) I would not mind paying $50 every once in a great while becuase I understand the expense to develop and maintain this game for us to play. But I would not use that $50 to buy box openings or speed time up on timers or buildings. I would use that $50 to purchase chars or buildings that I kept at all times. I think the chars they offer are very cool although the hydra was to me a stronger char then the warlord. I think that the big prize should remain constant in strength or value. This last event seemed to me that the drop rate and the prizes where nerfed, I would go for hours and only walk away with allies or low grade char in return. Thats my two cents for what ever it is worth.

Skoty422
06-21-2012, 07:52 AM
I do enjoy the events. It's a chance to get something for nothing. I used to think it was a chance to get some of what the gem players had. But in honesty they get these things too. I believe it's just a business move to try to bring in a little more money for the company. If 90% of players get 3/5 of the event items then only 10% really gained anything. So that's why I believe they are designed for the companies benefits and not the players.

Coog
06-21-2012, 08:05 AM
I do enjoy the events. It's a chance to get something for nothing. I used to think it was a chance to get some of what the gem players had. But in honesty they get these things too. I believe it's just a business move to try to bring in a little more money for the company. If 90% of players get 3/5 of the event items then only 10% really gained anything. So that's why I believe they are designed for the companies benefits and not the players.

But that's the thing, you don't really get nothing at all. As you say, everybody get the basic stuff, and when everybody get the same stuff – status quo is the result. The stuff that really matters, the percentage boost, are only handed out to some.

asdfg12345
06-21-2012, 08:37 AM
But that's the thing, you don't really get nothing at all. As you say, everybody get the basic stuff, and when everybody get the same stuff – status quo is the result. The stuff that really matters, the percentage boost, are only handed out to some.
So they got lucky, maybe you will get lucky during the next events. This is the problem with events that dont give everyone the same thing. Too many people complain and moan.

Lt. Falcon
06-21-2012, 08:46 AM
I think the event is a good oppurtunity for free players to get great units. I think the key thing is that Funzio/Gree wants is a more competitive game for all its users, even the ones at the top. What I have noticed in these events whether KA, CC and/or MW is that in order to achive these 10th unit prizes is a games strategy that involves leveling up a few times through pVe and pVp. I have won an event in each game without spending gold/gems and in each that I won, I leveled up 2-3 times in the process. In the first event of KA I got 8, but I didn't level up once. I believe the events are used as a pyschological and motivational tool to get the campers to advance. Truthfully, in KA, I haven't lost a fight in about 3 months, approx. 3-4 weeks after starting the game without spending a dime on the game. Play it as if you were playing the lottery, do you really expect to win every one? I get free indestructible units out of testing my luck, that's why I play. I can understand the "Sorry, better luck next time" can be frustrating, then again so are scratch-offs. I don't see why so many people rant becuase they don't win all the time.

The_Legend_Shall_Live_On
06-21-2012, 10:13 AM
I second the enjoyment of these events. It is the first game I've played that has had them, and got to #9 each time. For us folk that are lower level, the units received are also lower stats than the players who are higher level. Additionally it does put us at a better advantage over those that don't play the events and those that don't have as good a luck.

What'd I'd like to see though, is the stats reversed: lower level the higher the stats of the units. So you have to strategize to get the best stats. And the stats should change every five levels, not 20 like they do now.

Also, something like the best 500 win/loss ratio on PvP over/under level 60; or most maps mastered or highest 500 over/under level 60 monsters killed.

While it is going to be impossible to make everyone happy, it will be possible to have logic of the events win the happiness of most. :)

eternalfire
06-21-2012, 10:15 AM
Yeah, I guess I'm one of the better free players and I have given up on this game after failing to get the last event unit. I had 4 days left to get the 10th gem and didn't get it. I have the hydra and arcane defender from the previous event but it's clear to me now that this extremely limited period of time to get the grand prize is just a move for money not for their fans. Events like i said in my previous post are meant to be fun and inviting, not suppose to be stressful and unrewarding.

They shouldn't even have the grand prize unit if it'll cost the average players gems to obtain. I mean I opened 15+ boxes a day and I'm sure there's people who have opened more but still was short 1-2 gems. Anyhows I'm done taking this game seriously and not going to spend any money on them as I originally planned to.

The_Legend_Shall_Live_On
06-21-2012, 10:16 AM
I can understand the "Sorry, better luck next time" can be frustrating, then again so are scratch-offs.

Scratch-offs as in lottery or some type of event in-game?

The_Legend_Shall_Live_On
06-21-2012, 10:24 AM
Eternalfire,

I know what you mean. I was one those that averaged 18 box attempts a day. Got only the 9th.

But on the same notion, if there are 10,000 people playing this game (probably WAY more), then the % of people who actually got both the event items (not counting the Arcane Defender) would be roughly 0.5% or below, and 0.9% or below who got even one. The likely hood of the ones that did get an item or both who would be able to defeat you because they understand how to play this game is probably half of that (being generous). So when you happen to run across those 30 or less players who have both items AND know what they are doing, 1/5 may even be allies.

Don't fret so much. You kicked some tail getting two of three so far. Better than my none and most of everyone out there. :)

Hapl0
06-21-2012, 10:35 AM
I wonder if the amount of prizes is already determined or not for each events.

The_Legend_Shall_Live_On
06-21-2012, 10:53 AM
I wonder if the amount of prizes is already determined or not for each events.
I think this was already brought up at some point. It isn't rigged, but the algorithms are insanely programmed for rediculous results versus the number of players, items to give out, fail-and-open the box ratios, et al.

If they rigged it, I'd be impressed and couldnt be upset about it.

Do they have a max number of #10 items to give away, maybe. But that too I doubt. Could it be harder to get one the more that are won? Now that could be probable.

Thoughts?

Lt. Falcon
06-21-2012, 11:01 AM
Scratch-offs as in lottery or some type of event in-game?

Yes, scratch-offs as in the lottery....and I have won the 10th item prize without, I repeat WITHOUT spending any gems. I have not put any actual money into KA and probably will not. I do wish they had the tapjoy options like CC and MW, though.

War Eagle
06-21-2012, 11:20 AM
I think you just have to adjust your expectations when it comes to these lock-box events. You have to scale back your traditional gamer notion of completion, that there's a clear path to obtaining your goal (i.e. the #10 gem/ring unit). Getting that last gem is purely a game of chance, and a very minuscule chance at that. There's no reason to "expect" you will get the big prize, no matter how many times a day you open a box. People who feel they "deserve" or are "entitled" to the big prize, because of how hard they tried, should surrender that notion and accept the fact that the outcome, just like a lottery jackpot, is entirely out of their hands.

Vidia
06-21-2012, 11:33 AM
I think you just have to adjust your expectations when it comes to these lock-box events. You have to scale back your traditional gamer notion of completion, that there's a clear path to obtaining your goal (i.e. the #10 gem/ring unit). Getting that last gem is purely a game of chance, and a very minuscule chance at that. There's no reason to "expect" you will get the big prize, no matter how many times a day you open a box. People who feel they "deserve" or are "entitled" to the big prize, because of how hard they tried, should surrender that notion and accept the fact that the outcome, just like a lottery jackpot, is entirely out of their hands.

Winning chances in a lottery has to be low because of the pool of money is limited compared to participants. The limit is physical.

Events are not limited in rewards. Funzio can give every one a reward if it wished. So, it is purely a design, there is no physical limit whatsoever.

I feel sorry for people who paid to open those boxes and still not getting the final reward. It is a complete rip off because the label said guaranteed to open but people still got craps. It did not give information as to chances of getting rings and giving people false impression that if they pay, they would get it.

Funzio was running a scam.

Joe Brown1
06-21-2012, 11:44 AM

+1 War Eagle: Some may not feel like this is not a lottery but that is a perfect analogy. Each box you open is like getting a lottery ticket (I think some people think the box itself is the lottery ticket and they should be guaranteed something for opening it but only an open box means anything), the more you open, the more lottery tickets you have and better chance you have of winning a prize. All that spending jewels to open boxes does is increase the number of lottery tickets that you have and therefore your chance of getting #10, but it does not guarantee anything just like in a real lottery. Unfortunately, a lot of players do not get this analogy.

Chups
06-21-2012, 11:50 AM
I love these events....I hope Funzio continues to do this for KA. Unlike the threadstarter who's a 'builder", I am more of a "collector". It's nice to have these indestructible units for free by participating in these event.

Lt. Falcon
06-21-2012, 11:56 AM
I love these events....I hope Funzio continues to do this for KA. Unlike the threadstarter who's a 'builder", I am more of a "collector". It's nice to have these indestructible units for free by participating in these event.

You have to "build" before you can "collect." But, I am in agreement with you. I think these events are great and hope they continue.

Joe Brown1
06-21-2012, 12:16 PM
+1 Chups and Lt. Falcon - its all good fun:cool:

The_Legend_Shall_Live_On
06-21-2012, 12:16 PM
I feel sorry for people who paid to open those boxes and still not getting the final reward. It is a complete rip off because the label said guaranteed to open but people still got craps. It did not give information as to chances of getting rings and giving people false impression that if they pay, they would get it.

Funzio was running a scam.

I have to disagree with you.

Like most things in life, you have to read the directions and information about. It was actually quite clear in what the directions said on this event (rings) and last event (gems).

Both the gems and the rings were rare to get when you opened a box. Nothing even implied that you would get a gem or ring if you used RL money/in-game gems to open it. The more experienced people either learned that mistake right away, or they didn't commit that mistake, OR they knew exactly what was happening.

I think gas stations and the government are running a scam on gas prices. I don't think Funzio presenting a free game with the option of buying really cool in-game things is running a scam. If you don't read the direcitons, don't complain when the outcome of what you do is different than what you thought it would be. :)

Vidia
06-21-2012, 01:53 PM
I have to disagree with you.

Like most things in life, you have to read the directions and information about. It was actually quite clear in what the directions said on this event (rings) and last event (gems).

Both the gems and the rings were rare to get when you opened a box. Nothing even implied that you would get a gem or ring if you used RL money/in-game gems to open it. The more experienced people either learned that mistake right away, or they didn't commit that mistake, OR they knew exactly what was happening.

I think gas stations and the government are running a scam on gas prices. I don't think Funzio presenting a free game with the option of buying really cool in-game things is running a scam. If you don't read the direcitons, don't complain when the outcome of what you do is different than what you thought it would be. :)

"The boxes opened by gems have the same chance of containing rings(gems) as those opened not by gems. Using gems to open boxes does not increase your chance of getting rings/gems."

I am sure this would discourage lots of people from spending on opening boxes. Remaining ambiguous on these important information and leave people to false or illusive impression is part of Funzio strategies to extract money from players.

Using lottery as analogy is another trick played by Funzio. Odds are known in advance for lotteries, but no one knows the odds for those events. Keeping those odds in black boxes helps to drive people to open boxes and using money to open boxes.

Timbathia
06-21-2012, 02:17 PM
"The boxes opened by gems have the same chance of containing rings(gems) as those opened not by gems. Using gems to open boxes does not increase your chance of getting rings/gems."

I am sure this would discourage lots of people from spending on opening boxes. Remaining ambiguous on these important information and leave people to false or illusive impression is part of Funzio strategies to extract money from players.

Using lottery as analogy is another trick played by Funzio. Odds are known in advance for lotteries, but no one knows the odds for those events. Keeping those odds in black boxes helps to drive people to open boxes and using money to open boxes.

The only scam aspect is that the chance of getting a ring (or whatever you are collecting) goes down with each one you get. This is not clearly articulated, so I would be upset if I were spending real money tp try and get the last one without understanding this (not that I would spend real money).

However, I agree with others that this sense of entitlement is absurd. The "I opened lots of boxes so I deserve the best prize" attitude is a joke. Funzio use it to make money (surely this is the job of a company, to make money) free players get free stuff, some free players get really good free stuff, and real money players get a better chance to get real cool stuff.

The_Legend_Shall_Live_On
06-21-2012, 02:24 PM

--------

I do understand where you are coming from on this.

Even if they put up a notice "Hey! Spend you gems to open the box. Guaranteed item! But doubtful if you'll get a (gem/ring/etc.)", people will still use gems and money to open them because "they may be the lucky ones".

It is a marketing ploy, the way the wording is. There is no lie though, nor cheat, in the way they are doing it.

I'm sure you have a job in real life. Or are familiar with the idea of companies having competitors in their own markets. I guarantee no one ever says "Use the other company's product! Ours is cheaper, but you get what you pay for!" or "They have a much better phone; you should buy one of theirs and come use our service because you won't like our phone after you buy it"

It does come back to "If you don't like the game or the rules of the game, don't play it".

(no hard feelings either. At least this is beginning to be true forum discussion, not a bunch of whining and thumb sucking. :) )

Freekizh
06-21-2012, 02:26 PM
Guys don't encourage trolling by responding. He is just another real life loser.

The_Legend_Shall_Live_On
06-21-2012, 02:29 PM

Yeah, I had to adjust my hopes on this. I'm a bit competitive when it comes to games like these, so instead of putting a hole through the wall, I just accepted that I did well in getting 9 rings and gems. :)

The_Legend_Shall_Live_On
06-21-2012, 02:34 PM
Guys don't encourage trolling by responding. He is just another real life loser.

Naw -- he just wants attention and is worried about losing in the game. If he was confident in his skills in strategy, understanding some basic ideas of how the game works, then he would worry so much about other people having a better army than his. (Not to mention that even if he "wasted" $100 on the game, I'm sure he has made worse investments....)

Should probably stick with console games if he is too worried about it. Those have instruction booklets and strategy guides and you only have to pay $60 - $85 one time and you could have it all. :)

Joe Brown1
06-21-2012, 03:25 PM
Funzio has indicated that the odds of getting #10 are less than 1% but greater than 0%. That alone should provide a solid guide as to spending real mony opening boxes.

Musketblade
06-21-2012, 04:17 PM
i cant wait for the next one

roghorrorfreak
06-22-2012, 10:36 AM
I miss opening boxes, at all hours of the day and night. It gave me something to look forword too. LOL

Coog
06-22-2012, 02:03 PM

So, Freekizh, that troll you are refering to, would that be me?

Freekizh
06-22-2012, 05:37 PM
So, Freekizh, that troll you are refering to, would that be me?

Nope. Though I think not many people would pay gems for a unit without benefits which defeats the economics of the exercise.

The_Red
06-22-2012, 05:40 PM
Nope. Though I think not many people would pay gems for a unit without benefits.

... or friends with benefits?

I agree with your premise here (I think) that the only units that would be worth tossing money at would be the last two "10" units from boxes. Having an additional unit loss or honor point increase is a lot better than just a 300/300 unit.

Freekizh
06-22-2012, 05:51 PM
... or friends with benefits?

Oh my goodness governor..I didn't mean it dat way..honest..u bad bad man :)

People gotta understand the way it works is that the prize has to be really good, otherwise they will just buy the gem units outright. So the whales will pay a large sum to collect them, and this subsidizes the rest of us. A bit like how the top 1% pays for 40% of all taxes, yet they still get kicked in the teeth and get labeled as cheats and not doing their fair share.

The_Red
06-22-2012, 05:57 PM
Oh my goodness governor..I didn't mean it dat way..honest..u bad bad man :)

People gotta understand the way it works is that the prize has to be really good, otherwise they will just buy the gem units outright. So the whales will pay a large sum to collect them, and this subsidizes the rest of us. A bit like how the top 1% pays for 40% of all taxes, yet they still get kicked in the teeth and get labeled as cheats and not doing their fair share.

I, for one, am certainly happy there are folks out there subsidizing the game for all of us to enjoy for free (or for relatively cheap.) Good for us... good for the software folks.

Coog
06-23-2012, 12:34 AM
Nope. Though I think not many people would pay gems for a unit without benefits which defeats the economics of the exercise.

Hmm well yes, I can see that part of the equation as well but if Funzio want to make even more money (which I'm sure they want) I think it's a good idea to give the folks who are ready to shell out the cash at least a reasonable chance to get the unit. I don't know if it's correct but there was another poster in this thread that said that Funzio has stated that the chance of getting the 10th item is greater than 0 percent but smaller than 1. That's a tough cookie to sell.

I wrote in another thread (and I still think it's a good idea) that it would be great if there was a possibility to pay money to increase the odds of the 10th item dropping. Ah well, that's just an idea and since this is a discussion board I can't see the harm in tossing it out here.

To other posters in this thread: No I'm not a whiner or a sore loser with a sense of entitlement and no - I don't expect to win the lottery every time. I don't try to take your shiny new units away, because I'm not even talking about the units. I'm pointing out something that I think is a flawed game mechanic and you are free to agree or disagree, but if you are to take a shot at me, at least point the gun in the right direction.

Art of War
06-23-2012, 07:17 AM
Coog.
It's funny really but these arguments here are almost exactly like those I saw on the Modern War Forum after they ran their first couple of events.
You make a couple of very reasonable points and I agree with a lot of what you've said. I've now played in all the ten or so MW events plus the two on KA. I've won one on each game without spending gold or gems.
That's 1/10 and 1/2. I generally average 14-20 medium open attempts per day depending on circumstance.

Here's my advice.
You can't afford to get annoyed by the power of the abilities offered by the number 10 units in events. Believe me when I say that it's only going to get worse. Freekish is right that, this is what makes them extremely special prizes.
It more than crossed my mind to quit playing after I missed out on both the 30% reduction to upgrade costs and the 30% decrease to building times in MW. I thought that, how can this be balanced? How can I compete with these abilities?
The simple answer is that you can't. I rationalise this to myself by thinking that maybe only 50 people out of a million will actually end up with this super weapon. I won't be able to compete with them. At least not on an even basis.

Take the events for what they are. A bit of fun to keep things interesting and to give you other things to do whilst you play the game. Getting the first 3 units is fairly easy, getting number 9 is hard. 10 almost impossible. I try to get the first four units and if I happen to get to number 10 it is a VERY nice bonus. :)

I know it's hard, but try not to get too worked up on the implications of missing out on the big prize, as you won't even come across them that often. FYI I just missed out on No 10 in MW. The prize boosted all attack values of ground units by 30%! Analogous to infantry or Magic.

Sorry for the length of the post everyone. :)

Crazy Canuck
06-23-2012, 07:37 AM

Personally I think you would have to be crazy to think you would get a gem/ring every time if you used real money to open boxes.

If you where gaurentted a gem/ring for every open using real money that would mean it would only take 200 rare gems to get 4 low end rare gem indestructible units and 1 high end rare gem indestructible unit with a good boost effect. Those 5 units would cost you around 1330 rare gems and that's without the getting the boost effect.

So if you are a free player and get the top prize you hit the jackpot (I have done it twice on MW) but I made the choice on here to make sure I got the hydra so I did spend about 300 rare gems to get the 10th one on 1st event and I never once thought I would be gaurentted the ring on 1st try or any tries just hoped it worked. I do believe I still got a great deal since that unit would have cost me triple the prize to buy and wouldn't have had the 20% lower casulaties rate.

Crazy Canuck
06-23-2012, 07:46 AM
Coog.
It's funny really but these arguments here are almost exactly like those I saw on the Modern War Forum after they ran their first couple of events.
You make a couple of very reasonable points and I agree with a lot of what you've said. I've now played in all the ten or so MW events plus the two on KA. I've won one on each game without spending gold or gems.
That's 1/10 and 1/2. I generally average 14-20 medium open attempts per day depending on circumstance.

Here's my advice.
You can't afford to get annoyed by the power of the abilities offered by the number 10 units in events. Believe me when I say that it's only going to get worse. Freekish is right that, this is what makes them extremely special prizes.
It more than crossed my mind to quit playing after I missed out on both the 30% reduction to upgrade costs and the 30% decrease to building times in MW. I thought that, how can this be balanced? How can I compete with these abilities?
The simple answer is that you can't. I rationalise this to myself by thinking that maybe only 50 people out of a million will actually end up with this super weapon. I won't be able to compete with them. At least not on an even basis.

Take the events for what they are. A bit of fun to keep things interesting and to give you other things to do whilst you play the game. Getting the first 3 units is fairly easy, getting number 9 is hard. 10 almost impossible. I try to get the first four units and if I happen to get to number 10 it is a VERY nice bonus. :)

I know it's hard, but try not to get too worked up on the implications of missing out on the big prize, as you won't even come across them that often. FYI I just missed out on No 10 in MW. The prize boosted all attack values of ground units by 30%! Analogous to infantry or Magic.

Exactly!! I couldn't agree more!

I got lucky on MW last night and got the final 2 rockets somehow in the final 7 hours. Was shocked when 10th one showed up and thought I might have been dreaming it but it was still there this morning

I will add I have competed in every event on CC, MW and KA with 2 account for each. Have never hit the 10th on CC with either, have hit 10th once on each in MW (both free) and hit 10th on KA on each spend small amount for a boost I really wanted.

Coog
06-24-2012, 12:45 AM
Coog.

Here's my advice.

Hi Art, I have no problem with a length of the post at all, since it's good advice you are giving. I didn't know that this already has been discussed in the forums of the other Funzio games and since this seems to be their model for events I guess it's just have to suck it up and play on. ;)