PDA

View Full Version : Rat Alert

reidos
06-21-2012, 04:57 AM
Guys, i've come across some very stubborn rats that i wouldn't mind a little helping hand with.

'REDTILEY' level 129, has downgraded from 499 to 496 mafia in an attempt to 'evade rat catchers' but with 15k fights won and evidently participating in thug life goals, is a prime example of a greedy fat rat.

'Kiss' Level 128/129 is another greedy rat who appears to be forming an alliance with 'REDTILEY' over my recent spate of attacks on them both. Sitting on 499 mafia he is a very stubborn rat and is, too, participating in thug life goals.

Both these players have stats of nothing over 25k so should be easily handled by many on this forum :)

I hope rat catching is alive and well.

reidos
06-21-2012, 05:05 AM
'Fuggetaboutit' is another one to keep on your radar.

psxnitro
06-21-2012, 05:12 AM
Why target these people with less than 500 mafia? Been reading about this rat hunt crap, I can't figure out why people even care, can someone clarify why anyone should even care about this so called rats. What damage do they do to other players anyway?

Boom
06-21-2012, 05:18 AM
Don't worry about it

upsman_17
06-21-2012, 06:45 AM
Why target these people with less than 500 mafia? Been reading about this rat hunt crap, I can't figure out why people even care, can someone clarify why anyone should even care about this so called rats. What damage do they do to other players anyway?

It makes them feel all warm and fuzzy inside as they fancy themselves the crusaders cleaning up the streets of crime city. Long term it is nothing more than a futile exercise but it adds another dimension to the game for them to keep it interesting. So its probably just as much about that as the actual rat catching dynamic.

RijilV
06-21-2012, 07:32 AM
Also hard to say what the negative impact from winning fights against other players. I could see stalking their hoods for robbing, but attacking someone has very little in game impact for them. If anything constantly stalking them for attacking is a benefit, because then they won't show up in the rival list so they won't get robbed by other players.

MonteCitan
06-21-2012, 07:34 AM
How low do we rats have to drop, ESP if we are not currently pursuing tl goals, to not be seen by the catchers?

Dipstik
06-21-2012, 07:36 AM
I get called a rat (especially by bitter players I beat for thug life purposes) when I had under 400 mafia. Better get some standards or your movement will become a joke =P

Sasha54
06-21-2012, 07:42 AM
What is weird is that initially - "Rats" were people with 499 - so they had 500 and then dropped 1.

MAYBE - I could see the rat-catchers point there - I said maybe, but now it seems that anyone is called a rat if you don't have a full mob.

wont intimidate me - I am dropping for my own reasons and running with an under-equipped mob of 500 is counter productive so why should I do it.

TRAZ
06-21-2012, 07:50 AM
I've been called Queen of the Rats before......weeeeeeeee. Loving it!

nopenopenope
06-21-2012, 08:57 AM
I get called a rat (especially by bitter players I beat for thug life purposes) when I had under 400 mafia. Better get some standards or your movement will become a joke =P

The definition of rat has never wavered in my eyes as long as its been unethical to do TL goals of a specific mafia requirement without having same mafia yourself to balance the rival pool. Hopefully one's mafia integer is not the only measurement for ratcatchers.

Paulio
06-21-2012, 09:41 AM

If you truly read about it, then you wouldn't be asking.

Paulio
06-21-2012, 09:45 AM
The definition of rat has never wavered in my eyes as long as its been unethical to do TL goals of a specific mafia requirement without having same mafia yourself to balance the rival pool. Hopefully one's mafia integer is not the only measurement for ratcatchers.

I always check a suspected rat's inventory first. If they have items like the thug pistol, thug smg, etc, then they are definitely rats. It takes up much more time, but I try to be fair. If I see a 499er with weak stats, I don't hit them based on the assumption that they aren't actually rats, they are just trying to avoid those looking for easy pickings. Rats = less than 500 mafia + actively pursing thug life goals

sexkitteh
06-21-2012, 09:46 AM
What damage do they do to other players anyway?

They (we) prevent others from achieving TL goals... it's good to be a rat... give's others a disadvantage when trying to do the goals... we hit them because they have a mob of 500 (that's the goal to attack people with 500 mafia members) but they can't complete goals by attacking us (because we have sub500 members)...

They think we stay sub500 because we don't want to be attacked... but the truth is we don't want them to achieve the goals! soooo we are happy with getting attacked... we waste their stamina ; )

I got called a rat the other day for the first time lol... I laughed at him and attacked him... I think I got at least 2 TL goals from him :)

Ramshutu
06-21-2012, 09:49 AM
FYI I just relieved REDTILEY of about 150-200k of explosives. He made the mistake of attacking me too, so hopefully I can do it every two hours for a short while. He also almost, but not quite entirely failed to troll me.

Paulio
I got called a rat the other day for the first time lol... I laughed at him and attacked him... I think I got at least 2 TL goals from him :)

Kitteh, it would be impossible for you to be a rat. Lol. You can't even have 500 mafia yet.

nopenopenope
Rats = less than 500 mafia + actively pursing thug life goals

And in my definition:

Rats = less than 500 mafia + actively pursing thug life goals....on mobs over 500. I'm otherwise glad to hear of your sound reasoning checks beforehand. =)

sexkitteh
06-21-2012, 09:52 AM
Kitteh, it would be impossible for you to be a rat. Lol. You can't even have 500 mafia yet.

I'm on TL 105 FYI

And I have sub 500 mafia right now and I do about 5-10 TL goals a day... so I'm not sure what you are talking about ; )

Clearly I'm not the only one at my level pursuing 500+ mobs... since someone called me a rat lolzzzz

Paulio
06-21-2012, 09:55 AM
I'm on TL 105 FYI

And I have sub 500 mafia right now and I do about 5-10 TL goals a day... so I'm not sure what you are talking about ; )

Clearly I'm not the only one at my level pursuing 500+ mobs... since someone called me a rat lolzzzz

What I mean is that at lvl 66 you can only have 330 mafia

sexkitteh
06-21-2012, 09:57 AM

Oh right... cause I can't achieve thuglife goals at lvl66... my bad!

I'm a derpaderrrrrrp....

Eyelusion
06-21-2012, 10:01 AM

He can only use 330 of his mafia towards his stats, but he can have unlimited mafia. You don't have to be level 100, just have 500 mafia for others to hit your 500 back for TL goals.

Sasha54
06-21-2012, 10:03 AM

I think she is lying about her level and stats..............

and yesterday she posted she had over 500 - now she says she's a rat.........

GazLegend
06-21-2012, 10:03 AM
Thug life goals? What's the point in them?

sexkitteh
06-21-2012, 10:04 AM
Thug life goals? What's the point in them?

Well you 500RP for completing them - and if you complete about 4-5-10 a day... that's a lot of RP... that's the point of completing them...

Dipstik
06-21-2012, 10:04 AM
I honestly look forward to a developer's fix to this problem... I do think it's a problem that there is NO strategic reason to actually have 500 mafia, but the game requires people to actually be at 500 mafia in order for people to accomplish thug life goals. Unfortunately, the whole "rat catcher" thing is an exercise in futility because there are so few of you, and even you have to admit that you're going out of your way and HURTING your in-game progress by engaging in "rat catching."

I think it will actually be beneficial if EVERYONE drops to 499 in order to force a development fix. We need an actual incentive to hold 500 mafia, whatever that should be. As long as there's in-game action and drama on this issue, the developers will sit back and let the game be played as it is.

Think of my rat status as a strike. I'm working for a better game in the future by breaking it now. The rest of you are scabs for not joining.

sexkitteh
06-21-2012, 10:05 AM
I think she is lying about her level and stats..............

and yesterday she posted she had over 500 - now she says she's a rat.........

I dropped my mafia... I had like 511? or something? I was running an experiment of my own... but I gave up on it and I'm at 499 now...

And you are right - my stats are little higher now :P

Purchased some gold items and leveled...

Sasha54
06-21-2012, 10:08 AM
I dropped my mafia... I had like 511? or something? I was running an experiment of my own... but I gave up on it and I'm at 499 now...

And you are right - my stats are little higher now :P

Purchased some gold items and leveled...

Yes - but are you lying about your in-game, or did you lie about deleting your first account?

and if you are going to drop below 500 - then I would suggest not being quite so obvious as to keep yourself at 499.

sexkitteh
06-21-2012, 10:17 AM
Yes - but are you lying about your in-game, or did you lie about deleting your first account?

and if you are going to drop below 500 - then I would suggest not being quite so obvious as to keep yourself at 499.

Obvious is better for me... that way I DO get attacked... and it's easier to attack back :)

joaquim
06-21-2012, 11:16 AM
HELLz HOUND. Level 100. Big fat 499er. This guy's defense stats are at 31949. He has 2 level 5 Churches, 2 level 3 Upscales, 2 level 4 Lofts, 2 level 6 MTs, 2 level 6 Anchor Imports, 2 level 3 Nightclubs, and more things upgraded to high levels. The guy is too strong for me to hit so if anyone is at level 100 and can hit him, you'll end up walking away wit a lot of money.

dudeman
06-21-2012, 11:33 AM

Burn, buddy, the rat catchers need you back dude!

Ok, anyways, level isn't really important in my view of rat catching. If the current Thug Life goal on your goals list requires that you win fights against rivals with 500+ mafia, you should also have 500+ mafia. Simple. Level is not a factor, since at any time starting from day one all players CAN add an unlimited number of players or henchmen to their mafia. They can't bring 500 into battle until level 100, but the mafia size requirement for Thug Life is independent of the number of mafia which you are able to equip at your level.

This is why players who are below level 100 have to visit every hood when participating in Thug Life. They need to check the rival's profile to make sure of their actual mafia size because the rivals list won't show any 500 mobs.

So yes, you can be a rat at any level. If you are actively pursuing Thug Life goals without you yourself meeting the requirement for your goal, should a rival attack you in an effort to complete Thug Life, you are a dirty stinkin' rat! :cool:

sexkitteh
06-21-2012, 11:38 AM

Ok, anyways, level isn't really important in my view of rat catching. If the current Thug Life goal on your goals list requires that you win fights against rivals with 500+ mafia, you should also have 500+ mafia. Simple. Level is not a factor, since at any time starting from day one all players CAN add an unlimited number of players or henchmen to their mafia. They can't bring 500 into battle until level 100, but the mafia size requirement for Thug Life is independent of the number of mafia which you are able to equip at your level.

This is why players who are below level 100 have to visit every hood when participating in Thug Life. They need to check the rival's profile to make sure of their actual mafia size because the rivals list won't show any 500 mobs.

So yes, you can be a rat at any level. If you are actively pursuing Thug Life goals without you yourself meeting the requirement for your goal, should a rival attack you in an effort to complete Thug Life, you are a dirty stinkin' rat! :cool:

Damn rightzz I am!

Paulio
06-21-2012, 12:06 PM

Excellent point. Thanks for the clarification.

jmeijer
06-21-2012, 12:29 PM
@OP: I have robbed Kiss a few times.. quite funny that he is named here.

schlumpf
06-21-2012, 12:51 PM
FYI I just relieved REDTILEY of about 150-200k of explosives. He made the mistake of attacking me too, so hopefully I can do it every two hours for a short while. He also almost, but not quite entirely failed to troll me.
Everquest? Son, you talking about those graphical MMORPG things? We MUDders were gaming on the internet before Tim Berners-Lee invented this fancy colorful thing called WWW ;)

Ramshutu
06-21-2012, 01:03 PM
Everquest? Son, you talking about those graphical MMORPG things? We MUDders were gaming on the internet before Tim Berners-Lee invented this fancy colorful thing called WWW ;)

:) this might take your fancy. I would have used myst, but no one would know what I was talking about...

http://arch-wizard.com/confessions.html

Dipstik
06-21-2012, 01:39 PM
Man... I remember mudding. I majored in a MUD called Act of War during my freshman year of college =P

Ramshutu
06-21-2012, 01:43 PM
We're not allowed to discuss other games!

Johnny70
06-21-2012, 02:07 PM
I have over 500 in my mafia at the moment because I am doing thug life goals. when I get done with them I am going to drop my mafia to 499. does that make me a rat then? I had 500 in my mafia the whole time I did the goals. so doesnt that kind of blow the way you "screen" rats? I dont get attacked much anyway by anyone other than a few regulars...but after I am done with the goals why should I have 500 mafia? the only gain is minimal in stats...

Dipstik
06-21-2012, 02:08 PM
I have over 500 in my mafia at the moment because I am doing thug life goals. when I get done with them I am going to drop my mafia to 499. does that make me a rat then? I had 500 in my mafia the whole time I did the goals. so doesnt that kind of blow the way you "screen" rats? I dont get attacked much anyway by anyone other than a few regulars...but after I am done with the goals why should I have 500 mafia? the only gain is minimal in stats...

I don't see why not... under their silly definitions.

sexkitteh
06-21-2012, 02:09 PM

Has anyone made it to the end of the road of the TL goals now that they have been extended?

dudeman
06-21-2012, 02:18 PM

I asked the same thing (out of curiosity) after I finished TL 300, back when that was the end of TL.

The answer is yes, that still qualifies as being a rat. You participated in Thug Life goals. It doesn't matter where or when, and it doesn't matter if you are finished with them. You want to do TL, you man up and stay 500+ forever or you accept the rat title and everything that comes with it.

Johnny70
06-21-2012, 02:19 PM
I honestly look forward to a developer's fix to this problem... I do think it's a problem that there is NO strategic reason to actually have 500 mafia, but the game requires people to actually be at 500 mafia in order for people to accomplish thug life goals. Unfortunately, the whole "rat catcher" thing is an exercise in futility because there are so few of you, and even you have to admit that you're going out of your way and HURTING your in-game progress by engaging in "rat catching."

I think it will actually be beneficial if EVERYONE drops to 499 in order to force a development fix. We need an actual incentive to hold 500 mafia, whatever that should be. As long as there's in-game action and drama on this issue, the developers will sit back and let the game be played as it is.

Think of my rat status as a strike. I'm working for a better game in the future by breaking it now. The rest of you are scabs for not joining. generally I disagree with most of what you say but I think you have a good point here that most people dont seem to even consider. I will keep 500 in my mafia while doing thug life goals, but when I am done or even if I quit doing them because I have over 35,000 respect points that are basicly worthless to me I will be at 499

Johnny70
06-21-2012, 02:24 PM
I asked the same thing (out of curiosity) after I finished TL 300, back when that was the end of TL.

The answer is yes, that still qualifies as being a rat. You participated in Thug Life goals. It doesn't matter where or when, and it doesn't matter if you are finished with them. You want to do TL, you man up and stay 500+ forever or you accept the rat title and everything that comes with it. as I said why should anyone stay at 500 once they are done thats not manning up bro thats bs what is the advantage to my game to help others do goals I have achieved? you are saying I should help others catch up? thats just silly counterproductive nonsence. it doesnt matter to me personally because there isnt a rat catcher that can beat me but thats not the point.

dudeman
06-21-2012, 02:32 PM
as I said why should anyone stay at 500 once they are done thats not manning up bro thats bs what is the advantage to my game to help others do goals I have achieved? you are saying I should help others catch up? thats just silly counterproductive nonsence. it doesnt matter to me personally because there isnt a rat catcher that can beat me but thats not the point.

I never said I fully agree with it, but the whole concept of being a rat is that you either do or did participate in Thug Life, while denying others the same opportunity should they decide to attack you. Timing isn't relevant. Just because you're done with TL does not mean everyone else is too.

Dipstik
06-21-2012, 02:34 PM
generally I disagree with most of what you say but I think you have a good point here...

yeah I like to do that occasionally to keep people guessing. If I'm trolling ALL the time, they just tune me out. It makes me more effective when you have to double check to see if I'm making a good point or not.

psxnitro
06-21-2012, 04:14 PM
This rat hunting is just stupid for me, it seems to be just another form of cyber bullying. I'm level 45 right now with 650+ mafia, and have been camping for about over a month now.

I sold a bunch of my buildings to make room in my hood, and used up most of the money I won from events to just to build my 2 MTs and 2 DRs. I've been tempted to drop all of my mafia since it's been hard to improve my economy with people constantly attacking me, I'm just on my 8th expansion, and now I find people are attacking people who drops their mafia?

Now I understand why some people cheat or quit this game...

Swifty
06-21-2012, 09:01 PM
If you have 500+ mafia, you get attacked for Thug Life, and if you are less than 500, you get attacked for being a rat.

Seems simple enough to me.

REDTILEY
06-22-2012, 03:13 AM
To any reading this post, Reidos the rat catcher keeps coming out of his loft and getting his behind bit by me
He calls on other players to bully me in the hope it will force me to raise my mafia above 500.
He does not know me or why my mafia numbers are below 500.
I will not be bullied by him or anyone else and will face up anyone who wants to try these bully tactics head on.
I am disabled and play this game for fun and have learnt in life not to be bullied by anyone. Any player being bullied by the self appointed rat catchers are welcome to contact me and I will offer any help and support I can

reidos
06-22-2012, 04:30 AM
To any reading this post, Reidos the rat catcher keeps coming out of his loft and getting his behind bit by me
He calls on other players to bully me in the hope it will force me to raise my mafia above 500.
He does not know me or why my mafia numbers are below 500.
I will not be bullied by him or anyone else and will face up anyone who wants to try these bully tactics head on.
I am disabled and play this game for fun and have learnt in life not to be bullied by anyone. Any player being bullied by the self appointed rat catchers are welcome to contact me and I will offer any help and support I can

I do not bully you. Never have, never will. Rat catchers aren't bullies; Well i'm not at least. If you stopped competing in thug life goals, there would be no problem, it's the fact you hide behind a trashcan like a rat while participating in TL goals at others expense is what's the problem. Move up to 500 mafia or down to 300. It's your choice. My codes in my signature.

Dipstik
06-22-2012, 05:37 AM
People who play this game and complain about "bullies" deserve to be attacked constantly. What a pansy.

Ramshutu
06-22-2012, 06:15 AM
Being a Rat is the game equivalent of using offshore bank accounts, tax havens and creative accounting to avoid paying tax. (although obviously the relative severity in the real world is different!)

Sure, it's legal but it's not right.

It is not fair to exploit legal mechanics in order to reap all the benefits of the system, but make other people foot the bill be it tax, or being a rat.

The reason for dropping mafia is simply to not be attacked whilst attacking. This is a loophole in the game mechanics, that as of yet has not been fixed. While there is a flaw, for the briefest of periods while I can see such players it is my intention to make sure they experience the same average severity and level of attacks being at 499 as they would have experienced being at 500. As the players have been avoiding attacks for a long period of time, this involves me attacking them as much as I can.

While some, and mostly people being attacked, may call it bullying, I will point out that over a relatively short time, these players are suffering losses no worse, and no more severe than those that they are preying on themselves and are avoiding by exploiting a legal loophole. The same way 'pressuring' rich people into paying their fair share of tax can be construed as unfairly singling them out, or bullying.

As with Tax, the people who really, really annoy me, are not the ones with half the stats of average, if I hit these people, I try and make sure they have no explosives, and will not rob them; but the 'super rich' who probably wouldnt end up getting attacked that badly anyway.

And finally, it has been mentioned a little here about returning to 499 after thug life is complete. While I have less of a problem with these players than I do with others, I would point out that I am certain that they do not discrimate the people they hit and would be quite happy to hit someone who was obviously not participating in thug life missions themselves.

Sasha54
06-22-2012, 06:52 AM
Being a Rat is the game equivalent of using offshore bank accounts, tax havens and creative accounting to avoid paying tax. (although obviously the relative severity in the real world is different!)

Sure, it's legal but it's not right.

It is not fair to exploit legal mechanics in order to reap all the benefits of the system, but make other people foot the bill be it tax, or being a rat.

The reason for dropping mafia is simply to not be attacked whilst attacking. This is a loophole in the game mechanics, that as of yet has not been fixed. While there is a flaw, for the briefest of periods while I can see such players it is my intention to make sure they experience the same average severity and level of attacks being at 499 as they would have experienced being at 500. As the players have been avoiding attacks for a long period of time, this involves me attacking them as much as I can.

While some, and mostly people being attacked, may call it bullying, I will point out that over a relatively short time, these players are suffering losses no worse, and no more severe than those that they are preying on themselves and are avoiding by exploiting a legal loophole. The same way 'pressuring' rich people into paying their fair share of tax can be construed as unfairly singling them out, or bullying.

As with Tax, the people who really, really annoy me, are not the ones with half the stats of average, if I hit these people, I try and make sure they have no explosives, and will not rob them; but the 'super rich' who probably wouldnt end up getting attacked that badly anyway.

And finally, it has been mentioned a little here about returning to 499 after thug life is complete. While I have less of a problem with these players than I do with others, I would point out that I am certain that they do not discrimate the people they hit and would be quite happy to hit someone who was obviously not participating in thug life missions themselves.

I'm self-employed so I pay tax at a corporate rate which is quite a bit less than my personal tax rate. SO - what should I do - tell the Canadian government I don't feel right about that cause all my friends are paying more!

Come on - really - that tax argument is weak!

Ramshutu
06-22-2012, 07:08 AM
I'm self-employed so I pay tax at a corporate rate which is quite a bit less than my personal tax rate. SO - what should I do - tell the Canadian government I don't feel right about that cause all my friends are paying more!

Come on - really - that tax argument is weak!

My friend does a similar thing. He is a contract employee, and he gets paid through his company minimum wage; but makes the rest of his money through issuing dividends if he needs to. I've not got as much of a big deal with that, because working in this way is inherently more risky.

But I'm not talking about you, or those that use the tax system to make a marginal advantage, I'm assuming you are not avoiding significant amounts of tax.

But saying that, the analogy isn't to discuss the benefits or vagaries of the Canadian tax system, but to point out that the worst tax avoidance offenders and rats are BOTH using loopholes to reap the positive rewards at the expense of others.

Swifty
06-22-2012, 07:15 AM
Another way of phrasing it:

Rivals are using legal game mechanics to maximize their competitive advantage.

Ramshutu
06-22-2012, 07:17 AM
Another way of phrasing it:

Rivals are using legal game mechanics to maximize their competitive advantage.

Yes, in the same way that some, very well off people, are using legal tax mechnanisms to minimise their tax burdens.

Hence why some multi-millionaire are paying less tax than I am.

psxnitro
06-22-2012, 07:27 AM
I really don't mind these so called "rat catchers" doing their thing. But I don't like someone going online and basically egging on other people to specifically "target" a so called rat. People have their own way of playing, if you have a problem with how they play and want to do something about it, do it yourself. Don't egg on other people to mob someone just because you do not agree with how the person is playing a game.

In my eyes, this "rat hunting" is no different than someone seeing another player who is level 45 with 2 MT, 2 Loft, and 2 DS that has been camping and trying to boost their IPH with the goal of getting 2 NC. Then this person decides to form a "Camper Hunting" group and goes online to rally others to attack these "campers" to force them to start doing missions and leveling up again.

The way I look at it, how would you feel when a mob targets and attacks you just because they didn't like how you were playing a game even when you are playing within the boundaries of the rules set by the game creator?

Ramshutu
06-22-2012, 07:38 AM
The way I look at it, how would you feel when a mob targets and attacks you just because they didn't like how you were playing a game even when you are playing within the boundaries of the rules set by the game creator?

I couldn't complain without being a horrendous hypocrit, because targeting and attacking a player repeatedly is a way of playing the game, and is playing within the boundaries and rules set by the games creator.

Fricco
06-22-2012, 07:50 AM
[QUOTE=psxnitro;292968]
In my eyes, this "rat hunting" is no different than someone seeing another player who is level 45 with 2 MT, 2 Loft, and 2 DS that has been camping and trying to boost their IPH with the goal of getting 2 NC. Then this person decides to form a "Camper Hunting" group and goes online to rally others to attack these "campers" to force them to start doing missions and leveling up again. [QUOTE]

1) you should really read Burns (R.I.P) Rat Catching threads.

2) how is your camping hindering other players from completing their goals ?
if anything you are making more money for us to rob. :D