PDA

View Full Version : Decorum in the Forum...

Hello Kitty
06-15-2012, 09:24 PM
Calling all forum members!

In light of all the recent nonsense posts, polls, antagonistic posts and fights, I would like to propose that we all band together to define some general guidelines for forum code of conduct and try to put them into practice to govern ourselves and ask that Funzio moderators support us in this process.

There are many regular forum contributors that are senior members, not by mere post count, but for their contributions and/or show of maturity and respect when commenting or even when joking in response to another’s post. Would like to get your feedback, support, thoughts and hopefully buy-in and participation to clean up our forum with the eventual full support from Funzio.

I’ll start with the obvious first and then discuss the more subjective that will be based on each individual’s tolerance to practice. It’s a springboard for us to start and I’ll be happy to add/modify/edit based on your feedback. Again, this is a collaborative effort for us to create a positive environment to contribute, challenge, comment and enhance game play and social outlet while playing the game.

The following is organized by offense type, Funzio moderation and self moderation with tools to help stated last.

Managing spam and advertising messages:

Funzio moderation:

Crime City Mark has instituted a forum restriction to help us with the relentless spam and advertising message:

Forum moderation!

Hey all,

I'm adding some forum restrictions due to the recent wave of spam. All registered users will be required to make 10 posts before starting a thread. There will also be a human verification question for those 10 posts; look to the top of your post for the question.

If you have any issues, please send me a PM.

Click Forum Moderation! (http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthread.php?35813-Forum-Moderation!&p=279026#post279026) to visit the official thread in Modern War Announcements.

Self moderation:

Practice: In the event that some of these posts may slip through the Funzio screening, then let’s all agree to report the post to have it removed (see Reporting a Post below).

Suggestion: To keep from flooding support so that this can be addressed promptly, I recommend that our process be:

Only 1 person reply to the spam and post that they have reported it, i.e. “SPAM THREAD – REPORTED”
No other posts after this posts, otherwise we encourage the post or perpetuate its importance by bumping it.
In the dialog box to report the thread, write “ATTN FUNZIO – SPAM REPORT, PLEASE DELETE.”

Would like to get acknowledgment from CCM that he or his team will address these reports and delete these threads promptly. Or provide us with another identifier so they know we are helping along the process.

Managing nonsense polls/threads/posts:

Funzio moderation:

In the spirit of free speech, collaboration, support to creative input, and until it gets offensive (reader’s discretion) or doesn't meet Posting Guidelines (http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthread.php?13347-Posting-Guidelines), then I’m not sure what Funzio can do about this.

Self moderation:

Practice: The best way to stop the proliferation of nonsense polls/threads/posts is to not to participate or respond! The more attention you give the post/poll, the more you encourage repeat behavior. Come on! You guys and gals all know about Pavlov.

Suggestion:

First, look to see who the originator is. If it is a common offender of nonsense poll/thread/post, then don’t dive in. It’s simple, but somehow irresistible. As soon as one of the seniors or regulars post, everyone is interested, and then it becomes an immediate pile on and gives attention to the behavior.
Second, look at the title of the poll/thread and don't post to that thread. If you can’t discern that it’s going to be about nonsense then check, but don’t dive in.
Addressing Nonsense Polls/Threads – whoever gets there first, the senior member posts for subsequent readers “NONSENSE [POLL/THREAD] – MOVE ON.” This at least allows a first vetting by a senior member and one can read the post/thread start, but maybe refrain from feeding the poll/thread.
Addressing Nonsense Posts – employ the “Ignoring a Post” or if it’s excessive, employ the “Reporting a Post” below

Note: This rule-of-thumb is subjective. So, some may have a higher tolerance to the nonsense and find sport (which is fine) and others may not (which is also fine). Let’s see what we come up with as a group to find our balance.

Managing antagonistic posts and fights:

Funzio moderation:

We will need Funzio’s support with this area. Some exchanges and posts have been controversial enough for your intervention. We need your intervention. Help us with reporting this behavior.

Self moderation:

Practice: Similar to managing nonsense, the best way to stop fueling antagonistic posts is to ignore the behavior. If you don’t respond or partake, then it dies. For fights, I think a lot of us would like to take a pass and have the two (or more) take the discussion offline and spare the rest of us with the drama. Some may like the drama and won’t want to participate in moderating the behavior. Again, this is based on the general tolerance of the group.

Suggestion:

Addressing Antagonistic Posts – employ the “Ignoring a Post” below, if that doesn’t work, then employ the “Reporting a Post” below.
Addressing Fights – when it becomes too offensive (subjective) then report it (employ “Reporting a Post” below). Otherwise, let’s have the senior members post for the parties to take it offline. Something akin to “ENOUGH – YOU TWO GO TO PM.” Tell us how it ends up or not. Most of the times I’ve found that it’s a misunderstanding and everyone comes out as best friends.

Note: This rule-of-thumb is subjective. So, some may have a higher tolerance to the nonsense and find sport (which is fine) and others may not (which is also fine). Let’s see what we come up with as a group to find our balance.

Managing redundant or repetitive noob threads:

Funzio moderation:

No action, unless it falls into one of the offenses above. The forum members can self moderate, but Funzio please feel free to provide commentary, if warranted.

Self moderation:

To help manage the creation of new threads by noobs or other forum members that have already been addresseed or discussed, depending on the type of questions or discussion a senior forum members and veterans can:

Simple question - respond to the post
Complex question or previously discussed at length - refer player to a supporting thread. Ask the player to do some initial homework first and if there are still questions, feel free to ask away.
Starting point: "Modern War FAQs (http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthread.php?35951-Modern-War-FAQs&p=283692&viewfull=1#post283692)"

Senior Members / Veterans:

Aha! Now we come to the sensitive section of this proposal. I had opened the conversation with “there are many regular forum contributors that are senior members, not by mere post count, but for their contributions and/or show of maturity and respect when commenting or even when joking in response to another’s post.”

Perhaps, we could come up with a self-designation or look-up of who we each think are senior members or veterans. It’s not definitive, but helpful to noobs because they see the label Senior Member and may make the assumption that the member is knowledgeable or helpful. Open for suggestions on how we can manage this, whether by spreadsheet (I would be happy to manage with your input), acknowledgement, or group approval to have it in our signatures. Open for suggestions here…

Tools available for us to use:

Reporting a Post:

Within a thread, forum members have an opportunity to report posts that that are spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts. To report this type of post:
Click on the triangle icon with an explanation mark under the offender’s name block (it’s light grey and hard to discern)
A dialogue box will appear to comment on the offense
Click “Send Report” to submit
Ignoring a Post:

To ignore the comments from a specific Forum member:
Click on the Forum member’s name
Select “View Profile”
On the left navigation bar, select “Add to Ignore List”
Confirm by pressing “Yes”
Once this option is invoked, then all posts from this member will be blocked, you will see the following message in a thread:

“This message is hidden because [name of user] is on your ignore list”
View Post
Remove user from ignore list

Hello Kitty
06-15-2012, 09:25 PM
Senior Members who support the "Decorum of the Forum..." code of conduct:

Funzio definition

Junior Member = new member, post count < 49
Member = 50 ≤ post count < 100
Senior Member = post count ≥ 100
Developer = Funzio representative

Self Moderation definition

Responsible members of the Modern War forum that try to create a positive environment to discuss game strategy or to socialize while discussing game strategy or other topics.

Supporters / Senior Members / Game Veterans:

Aidan

Dreno33

hound

McDoc

spectra

Agent Orange

Everson25

Jhoemel

mickymacirl

stricker

Bronson

Fudge Packer

Jp lfs

overkill 280

Tate

cheiz

Gixxxah_Ridah

manbeast

Poopenshire

Thunder Child

Corsair

Hasselhem

Maverick50527

Saigon597

Wdigeorge

Hello Kitty
06-15-2012, 09:26 PM
Suggestions to Funzio for forum improvement:

1) Create a FAQ sticky thread or FAQ sub-forum in addition to Announcements, General, Add Me for game or general advice.

Hello Kitty - created "Modern Mar FAQs (http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthread.php?35951-Modern-War-FAQs&p=283692&viewfull=1#post283692)" to help with FAQs for new and existing forum members

:marine: - "...helps to stop the same question being asked..."

Fudge Packer - "I think the creation of some new forum groups other than the announcement, add me, and general boards would be a great help. Having something like technical, bar room banter and maybe newbies for example would move some of the trash into the right areas, this is not complicated issue and can be done quickly."

2) Create a Social sub-forum.

manbeast - "maybe we should have another subforum. a social or misc section?"

3) Allow forum members to moderate their own threads.

spectra - "...perhaps Funzio can allow us forum members to be our own moderator for the threads we create example, on the Gold ban thread, Speed, could just go and delete (or at least hide them) those post that are rude and out of context the same goes with other important threads that the creator really put an effor to create for the benefit of all, each creator will want their thread to be imformative and have a positive feedback, thus each creator I am sure reads all post on the thread, perhaps he could even be allow to "block" for that particular thread a forum member that is frankly being a "pain in the A$$..." like this Rossco character..."

4) Empower senior forum members to become forum moderators

Wdigeorge -

[*=1]For this whole thing to work and have some "teeth", CCM @ Funzio will no doubt have to empower some senior forum members to become moderators.

[*=1]There should be at least three moderators, or in other odd number increments...5, 7, 9, etc. This is for balance of power and for the tie breaker on votes (to be explained later)

[*=1]There should be a moderators only forum for mods to discuss and vote upon forum actions.

[*=1]Mods should have the power to perform certain forum actions such as ISSUE WARNINGS, TEMPORARY SENSORS, DELETE SPAM, PIN POSTS, EDIT/DELETE FOUL LANGUAGE, ETC.

[*=1]The ability to BAN a member should lie within CCM/Funzio.

[*=1]For the FIRST infraction, the offending member should be issued a WARNING. Infraction logged in moderator only forum for future reference.

[*=1]For the SECOND infraction, the offending member should be put on TEMPORARY PROBATION/DUCT TAPE (unable to post for one week but can still read the forum). Second infraction logged in moderator forum and final warning sent to member.

[*=1]On the THIRD infraction, the offending member should be put on PERMANENT PROBATION (unable to post indefinitely but can still read forum).

[*=1]Moderators shall vote on sending 3 time offender for PERMANENT BAN. Majority vote rules. If passed, the case be forwarded to CCM/Funzio for review and recommendation for permanent ban. This will save CCM a lot of time and headaches weeding through hundreds of issues and only concentrate on the (hopefully small amount) worst offenders.

Having multiple moderators v oting will help keep objectivity and fairness...a balance of power. Also, having CCM/Funzio determine the merits of a permanent ban will give the moderators some power but not enough to do serious damage if abused.

McDoc - @WDiGeorge - "Like your suggestion"

Corsair - "George, that is exactly the way I've seen it done elsewhere when warnings are implemented. I'd rather see Gree use their own mods rather than try to find user mods, that can lead to problems and conflicts of interest. But what you describe would work quite well based on my experience."

Stricker - "...i've been pushing for a self-imposed code of conduct to which the majority of the community can agree upon for some time now and have had several private conversations about this with several members......by going about handling the MW forum with this approach, the majority of the burden does not fall on 3 - 6 members to continously give away hours and hours for free to do what a we can all do collectively......there are many other reasons why i am not an advocate for member mods...

full post: http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthread.php?35941-Decorum-in-the-Forum...&p=284712&viewfull=1#post284712

Jp lfs
06-15-2012, 09:26 PM
Amazing post, HK, and much needed. I will gladly support this entire, well-stated idea. Consider me signed on!

Hello Kitty
06-15-2012, 09:33 PM
Amazing post, HK, and much needed. I will gladly support this entire, well-stated idea. Consider me signed on!Thanks JP! I really think we can all make a difference. I know you have already. :)

Poopenshire
06-15-2012, 09:36 PM
Wow, I guess we really are overdue on some reality here. Time for me to think twice before egging people on and getting drawn into fights. Real eye opener, thanks HK!

Tate
06-15-2012, 09:38 PM
I'm in too Kitty, any assistance you need!

Selfproclaimed
06-15-2012, 09:41 PM
I thought kiss of deaths was the longest post I've seen. This might have it beat

bigflan
06-15-2012, 09:42 PM
Reserved for updates...What does that mean

Hello Kitty
06-15-2012, 09:43 PM
Wow, I guess we really are overdue on some reality here. Time for me to think twice before egging people on and getting drawn into fights. Real eye opener, thanks HK!Thanks Poop! Love your support. We can make a difference. :)

Hello Kitty
06-15-2012, 09:44 PM
I'm in too Kitty, any assistance you need!Tate! Tater! Miss you. Hope all is well. I knew I could count on you. Let's see where this goes. :) Hope it gets traction. We can have a great forum.

Hello Kitty
06-15-2012, 09:45 PM
I thought kiss of deaths was the longest post I've seen. This might have it beatSelf - not sure how this is at all helpful. You're entitled to your opinion. Was trying to get traction with forum members. Guess you're counted as out for this proposal?

Dreno33
06-15-2012, 09:46 PM
Hello, Hello Kitty. Welcome back(:

Great Thread, hope others take the time to read it as well!

Hello Kitty
06-15-2012, 09:47 PM
Hello, Hello Kitty. Welcome back(:

Great Thread, hope others take the time to read it as well!Thanks Draino! Figured I could be a part of the solution after takin' a rest. Thought of you. Not as color coded as you would like I'm sure. But fear not, it's organized ;) Hope you can support this!

Selfproclaimed
06-15-2012, 09:47 PM
Nothing personal kitty but I read first and last paragraph,lol. Good luck on it though

Dreno33
06-15-2012, 09:52 PM
Thanks Draino! Figured I cold be a part of the solution after takin a rest. Thought of you. Not as color coded as you would like I'm sure. But fear not, it's organized ;) Hope you can support this!

ahahahahaha i was LITERALLY thinking about saying something like that! hahaha. "Love the thread, love the color, love the organization. Soon I'll take you in as my own apprentice and train you in the art of posting. :D" lolol

Hello Kitty
06-15-2012, 09:54 PM
Nothing personal kitty but I read first and last paragraph,lol. Good luck on it thoughWell that's a shame self, it's an easy read and something that you can participate in and contribute to make our forum better. Again, I count you as out and will perhaps perpetuate our old state of being rather than working for change. No worries. You may like the way it is. So as you say, nothing personal.

Mcdoc
06-15-2012, 09:57 PM
Wow Kitty! Much respect for going into SO much detail.

I love the idea of actually posting a message in the post to acknowledge: "* * * REPORTED AS SPAM * * * Please do not post on this thread * * *"

I think we all just got sent to the Principle's Office :)

Maybe I missed it - but perhaps CC Mark could request for volunteers to Moderate the forum and then he could put up a poll of who he would consider the 6 or 8 most sincere (credible) and let us vote for 3 people we could trust with that role. Just a thought as it has been mentioned several times that this is a much needed feature.

Hello Kitty
06-15-2012, 09:57 PM
Wow Kitty! Much respect for going into SO much detail.

I love the idea of actually posting a message in the post to acknowledge: "* * * REPORTED AS SPAM * * * Please do not post on this thread * * *"

I think we all just got sent to the Principle's Office :)LOL! Not at all McDoc.

If it's reading as a scolding, then PLEASE help me out. I just wanted to propose some things that I think that we can really, collectively manage.

Totally open to edits!!! PM me or post freely. Let's make this all about us!

p.s. Hope your thumbs recover fast! That didn't look good. Hope it's not painful.

stricker
06-15-2012, 11:37 PM
HELLO KITTY... after i saw some of the replies by others to this thread, i decided to get over my kiniption fit with you and finally un-block you again so i could read whatever it was you were ranting about again... BAH-HA-HAH!!!

J/K Hello Kitty and you know it... so in all seriousness, here is the official STRICK response...

Great job HK... i will plead the 5th if some members bite on me too much... LOL... no, not really... i'm open to constructive critics and am OTAY if any members would like to call me out... i know there are several instances where i might deserve it... but for the better good of the community, i would like to hear where i might go too far to the edge and then will honestly evaluate areas that i may need to operate differently while on the boards... ;p

per your draft at a self imposed mw forum community code of conduct, the Decorum in the MW Forum, here are my comments and additional suggestions:

>>>spam reporting:
* good idea of posting "thread closed" spam threads after someone has sent in a report to the mods to notify other members. (although, i typically just put the word "spam" in the subject/statement box :-)
* suggest something similar if legit spam enters a legit thread also where the member that reports it posts a quick statement, such as, "spam reported" to notify other members that it has been reported to the mods.

>>>self disciple for starting too many nonsense threads:
there are forum members that are fun to have on the boards yet have little or no restraint when it comes to starting too many threads. so a few things to examine about your forum habits concerning this issue are as follows:
* Determine if you are a first level offender: if you start one or more threads every day you log on to the forum, then you are starting too many nonsense threads and learn some restraint or the community may consider a nonsense boycott to all of your threads and post.
* Determine if you are a second level offender: if you do not qualify as a first level offender but start 4-6 threads in a in a single week, then you MAY be starting to many nonsense threads. there are and can be exceptions to these guideline.

>>>legit sr. members who are jokester, are ot ...aying a lot, and thread hijackers... hmmmm...
* guilty candidates: stricker, stricker, stricker... hmmmm... did i miss anyone
--->>> after speaking with my counselor he suggested the following statement: Hey my name is stricker and yes, i regualarly challenge the forum posting guidelines but i have AADD which makes if difficult to stay on topic and before i know it i end up unintentionally hijacking a thread before i even realize it. then i think i should post a quick apology to the OP for doing so but get distracted and somehow forget to do so... i like to joke and tease all members by pushing them to the edge of there wit... that's my M.O. on the boards and i'm stricking to it... so if anyone would like to boycott me or ask me to leave the forum, you are more than welcome to do so...
(tol... i'm not sure if it will do any good... but they are welcome to try... lol)

seriously though, with the above statement by stricker as a caveat, here are a few self-imposed guidelines that strick attempts to employ:
* attempt to avoid hijacking or relentlessly staying ot on serious discussion threads about important issues.
* avoid explicit, vulgar, nasty language, jokes, etc.
* attempt to re-STRICK social chatter to those typical threads that have become or design by the OP to be for those purposes.
* not interrupt a serious discourse between 2-3 members with ot jokes or jeb-jabs.

...again, thank you so much for drafting this HK!!!

Aidan
06-15-2012, 11:59 PM
Well done kitty. 100% behind you on this.

Strick, i'm gonna try to attempt the same. Well not all..maybe some of it...

* attempt to avoid hijacking or relentlessly staying ot on serious discussion threads about important issues. same but prolly will hijack an answered Qs thread
* avoid explicit, vulgar, nasty language, jokes, etc. this is asking too much, wont even try not to. Too much fun! Lol
* attempt to re-STRICK social chatter to those typical threads that have become or design by the OP to be for those purposes. with you on this
* not interrupt a serious discourse between 2-3 members with ot jokes or jeb-jabs. same here but prolly will interrupt if its between bron and TC. Nothing serious between these two. Prolly talks about dudes and monkeys anyway

Bronson
06-16-2012, 12:06 AM
Very well put kitty and some excellent ideas in there. The solutions you have chosen seem to be the best and simplest options so hopefully people will follow these guidelines.

It really is simple to clear up this forum if someone posts "nonsense thread" just click general and find another topic, don't post "I agree" or anything else the best thing you can do is ignore it and let it slip off the first page.

EDIT - see restrain guys I didn't click reply with quite to Aidan's above rubbish so if I can do it you can do it let's all do it!!!

Tate
06-16-2012, 12:15 AM
Missed you too Kitty! Thanks for this thread, I believe we can do it if we all pull together and clean it up somewhat. Looking forward to some other's comments, which seem to be pretty mum on the topic so far.

Wdigeorge
06-16-2012, 12:35 AM
It is about time that members of this forum takes charge of self regulating to weed out all the spam, nonsense, fights, trolling, and all in all complete disrespect between members.

I am sure there are many who reads this forum and is turned off by all the negativity. Ever since I started to actively participate in this forum, I have been met with a hail of hate and negativity due to my association to the Pirates. I see that have since took a turn for the better somewhat as the members learn more about us, however there is still much intolerance.

This would be a much better forum if everyone is allowed to voice their opinions in a mutally respectful manner, even amongst rivals. It has to be done in a constructive way or we will simply turn this forum into a circus.

spectra
06-16-2012, 12:42 AM
Count me in HK
Sometimes things get way out of hand, by the silliest reasons
we have to take the theme of each thread with respect to those that took the time to created them in benefit for all (I am talking to the meaninful threads, and not the likes of the "juvenile delinquents" the roam the forum and make pointless threads)
Also when making "fun" or "comic" replies to some of the post (realisticly, sometimes they do deserve this types of replies), we have to do it with taste (within respectful perimeters)
There is always room for some "comic reflief" during threads, just to keep us with positive spirits, without making a mokery of the goal the thread is trying to achieve

Cheers

Hassleham
06-16-2012, 01:20 AM
Sure, it's a good idea but why try and change things the hard way when there's another forum where we can actually remove nonsense threads without having to tell "mummy" to do it for us.
Surely the simple solution is to move to the other forum for discussions and use this forum for updates from CC Mark.

By no means am I saying I will not try and help this cause but all I'm saying is that there is an easier way to a get a better forum.

Respect :)

Jhoemel
06-16-2012, 02:18 AM
Wow kitty that post was awesome. And I agree with your post. Sign me in and ill give any assitance if you need it. Have a good day hk. God bless

Fudge Packer
06-16-2012, 02:54 AM
Great stuff Kitty, fully behind this.

I think the creation of some new forum groups other than the announcement, add me, and general boards would be a great help. Having something like technical, bar room banter and maybe newbies for example would move some of the trash into the right areas, this is not complicated issue and can be done quickly.

Thanks again for starting the ball rolling on this.

Hello Kitty
06-16-2012, 03:12 AM
Good Morning everyone (from the US East coast), Good Afternoon and Evening (elsewhere),

Awesome comments everyone!

As Spectra mentions, by no means is this an attempt for us to manage off topic or "fun" or "comic" posts or hijackers, it's to address the obvious and blatant offending posts that are nonsense, spam, antagonistic or fight and to squelch that behavior.

@Stricker - great comments. Do you want to help turn in your suggestions into a code so I can modify the original post or tell me how to modify what's already there? i.e. Offense, Funzio Moderation, Self Moderation (Practice & Suggestion). I hadn't considered addressing the frequency of creation of nonsense threads/polls.

@Wdigeorge - also great comments. Perhaps create a code about commenting within a thread? How can a thread originator or participants respectfully ask the OT or hijackers to move their discussion to another thread to preserve the intent of the thread?

Excellent stuff. I've updated the second post after the original to have a reference for noobs. Let me know if this works for everyone. Happy to edit/change/update or delete.

:marine:
06-16-2012, 03:21 AM
Someone make a FAQ guide and other guides to stop the same question being asked (ask CCM if it can be a sticky) and with the threads that are pointless, report them.

Hello Kitty
06-16-2012, 03:42 AM
Someone make a FAQ guide and other guides to stop the same question being asked (ask CCM if it can be a sticky) and with the threads that are pointless, report them.Good point, perhaps CCM will take notice of this thread and listen to our suggestions. I will update the third post after the original for our suggestions for Forum improvement.

Bronson
06-16-2012, 03:52 AM
Someone make a FAQ guide and other guides to stop the same question being asked (ask CCM if it can be a sticky) and with the threads that are pointless, report them.

We could ask someone like Draino to compile together all the useful guides and put them under one thread and sticky it!

hound
06-16-2012, 03:58 AM
Brilliant HK! You may count me in as a supporter- I've been in the middle of a move, so haven't been around much... And the fact that the forum has been getting out of control.

:marine:
06-16-2012, 04:06 AM
We can use spreadsheets like war priests one And others.
And simple guides, here are a few:
http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthread.php?17459-Niteshooter-s-guide-to-Modern-War&highlight=guide+modern
http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthread.php?23953-FNG-Guide-(JohnnyR)&highlight=guide+modern
http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthread.php?15941-Modern-War-Non-camping-guide-for-Non-gold-buying-newbies&highlight=guide+modern
http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthread.php?23949-Getting-Started-(Tramp-Stamp)&highlight=guide+modern

Hello Kitty
06-16-2012, 04:17 AM
We can use spreadsheets like war priests one And others.
And simple guides, here are a few:
http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthread.php?17459-Niteshooter-s-guide-to-Modern-War&highlight=guide+modern
http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthread.php?23953-FNG-Guide-(JohnnyR)&highlight=guide+modern
http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthread.php?15941-Modern-War-Non-camping-guide-for-Non-gold-buying-newbies&highlight=guide+modern
http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthread.php?23949-Getting-Started-(Tramp-Stamp)&highlight=guide+modern
Good suggestions marine, I'll start a thread that we can reference for noobs. Perhaps when we get the redundant questions, we just point to that thread ask for some homework to be done and then accept questions? I can add that to our code.

Arizona
06-16-2012, 05:54 AM
All good ideas HK. Anything that makes the forum a better experience for visitors. Remember, besides the regulars here, there must be thousands that drop by, or seasoned lurkers. I can't see the recent behaviour encouraging others to join. It's more likely to scare people away.

manbeast
06-16-2012, 08:45 AM
you can add me to the list

Maverick50727
06-16-2012, 09:06 AM
Hello Kitty, You are the meow as I said. Sorry I've been busy and sick the last few days to get back to you in PMs and it was full again, will get with you more later.

You know my opinion already (LOL) on decorum in the forum, so make sure to list Maverick in your list of supporters. Your thread is a great start to any cleanup efforts and should be embraced by all. IMO they are crazy not to make it a sticky. Eloquently stated and repeats much of what I've said in the past, but I hope this time people listen.

All your efforts here and in the FAQs thread are great!!!! :)

manbeast
06-16-2012, 09:18 AM
maybe we should have another subforum. a social or misc section?

may as well call it "flan's corner"

Hello Kitty
06-16-2012, 10:29 AM
Added manbeast, Maverick, and Saigon to list of senior members.

Hassleham
06-16-2012, 02:46 PM
Did you notice my previous comment?

cheiz
06-16-2012, 02:57 PM
Wow HK, now that's very very constructive! I'd be honoured to be of assistance too!

Mad
06-16-2012, 03:16 PM
I like the idea of the a FAQ thread that is stickied to the top. But I like it when a new player comes on and asks questions (even ones that have been answered numerous times before) because there usually ends up being a good discussion on that one particular issue and I always seem to learn something or get a bit different of a perspective.

Corsair
06-16-2012, 07:37 PM
Kitty, I think this is a great idea, count me as on board. Normally I would be skeptical, but if the core of the group is part of it it could work. It would be easier if Gree would moderate more. If people saw garbage threads being locked and spammers booted, it would stop quick. Hopefully this will be enough. Just using ignore plus reporting is a good start, I report posts all the time but always wonder if others do.

Sticker...it seems like every forum I've been on has one or two people, like yourself, who are funny as he!!, but dance the line, and every now and then slip over, usually by accident. You might need to dial it back a notch, but don't lose your sense of humor, you know how to do it without being obnoxious, and sometimes that quirky sense of humor is exactly what is needed when things get stressed out. :)

spectra
06-16-2012, 07:53 PM
I have an idea, not sure if this is possible or not
But perhaps Funzio can allow us forum members to be our own moderator for the threads we create
example, on the Gold ban thread, Speed, could just go and delete (or at least hide them) those post that are rude and out of context
the same goes with other important threads that the creator really put an effor to create for the benefit of all, each creator will want their thread to be imformative and have a positive feedback, thus each creator I am sure reads all post on the thread, perhaps he could even be allow to "block" for that particular thread a forum member that is frankly being a "pain in the A$$..." like this Rossco character
Just my 2 cents

Corsair
06-16-2012, 07:58 PM
One thing I wondered is if this forum has the ability to warn users before bans. Other boards I'm on have that function, and the best ones use it well. But that would require Gree moderation.

I have never seen per-topic controls, spectra, but I agree that would be a plus if it were possible.

Hello Kitty
06-16-2012, 08:20 PM
Corsair, Hasselhem, and cheiz - added you to the list of supporters.

@Hassel - Saw the post, but wasn't sure if you wanted to officially support or were referencing an alternative. Just let me know if you want it changed back, not a problem. Thanks!

@spectra - I added your suggestion to the list below.

@Mad - By no means should we squelch great discussion about game (or anything else for that matter). I was just proposing that we may want to refer the noob to some resources that might be a good place to start and if there were still questions, then ask away. Additionally, maybe we can necro a related thread and continue the discussion so that all subjects start to become organized (would like CCM to approve). It’s up to each person how they want to try to help self moderate the forum.

Thanks again everyone too for working together to make this a great forum.

Gixxxah_Ridah
06-16-2012, 08:49 PM
The fact that drenno is listed as a "senior member" and I'm not is insulting and removes all credability for this thread hahaha

Hello Kitty
06-16-2012, 09:05 PM
The fact that drenno is listed as a "senior member" and I'm not is insulting and removes all credability for this thread hahahaGR, if you'd like to support this code of conduct and try to help self moderate the forum, it's as simple as posting that. Are you in or out? Would love to have you be part of this effort and I'm sure everyone else would want your contributions and support too.

Not making any assumptions to add names unless someone specifically states he/she wants to try. Hope you do.

bigflan
06-16-2012, 09:10 PM
I'm out lame this will cause many more problems than help us out

Dreno33
06-16-2012, 09:30 PM
The fact that drenno is listed as a "senior member" and I'm not is insulting and removes all credability for this thread hahaha

The fact that my post count annoys you, amuses me.
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll36/Bigsteve87/Gifs/HahaShutUpAdamSandler.gif

Wdigeorge
06-16-2012, 09:41 PM
My two cents...

1. For this whole thing to work and have some "teeth", CCM @ Funzio will no doubt have to empower some senior forum members to become moderators.

2. There should be at least three moderators, or in other odd number increments...5, 7, 9, etc. This is for balance of power and for the tie breaker on votes (to be explained later)

3. There should be a moderators only forum for mods to discuss and vote upon forum actions.

4. Mods should have the power to perform certain forum actions such as ISSUE WARNINGS, TEMPORARY SENSORS, DELETE SPAM, PIN POSTS, EDIT/DELETE FOUL LANGUAGE, ETC.

5. The ability to BAN a member should lie within CCM/Funzio.

6. For the FIRST infraction, the offending member should be issued a WARNING. Infraction logged in moderator only forum for future reference.

7. For the SECOND infraction, the offending member should be put on TEMPORARY PROBATION/DUCT TAPE (unable to post for one week but can still read the forum). Second infraction logged in moderator forum and final warning sent to member.

8. On the THIRD infraction, the offending member should be put on PERMANENT PROBATION (unable to post indefinitely but can still read forum).

9. Moderators shall vote on sending 3 time offender for PERMANENT BAN. Majority vote rules. If passed, the case be forwarded to CCM/Funzio for review and recommendation for permanent ban. This will save CCM a lot of time and headaches weeding through hundreds of issues and only concentrate on the (hopefully small amount) worst offenders.

Having multiple moderators voting will help keep objectivity and fairness...a balance of power. Also, having CCM/Funzio determine the merits of a permanent ban will give the moderators some power but not enough to do serious damage if abused.

Mcdoc
06-16-2012, 09:57 PM
@WDiGeorge - Like your suggestion :)

Everson25
06-16-2012, 10:03 PM
Ola Hello Kitty! First of all, it's great to see you back. Its first time I read this thread and just did when I noticed you were the creator as I thought it would be something worthy to read. I dont say much but I like to be part of the forum. I totally agree about the ideas and the necessity for changes. So you count on me as someone that supports the changes. Of course, it's not an easy task. Some questions: how do you intent to persuade Funzio to support the changes? We started such subject before but no sign of any words of Funzio to say that would support us. Like I said before on another thread, we know the problems but when we will start the changes? Some of them should be easy. Anyway, thanks HK for trying to make our forum a better place.

Gixxxah_Ridah
06-16-2012, 10:09 PM
Drenno, I was kidding with you. Don't get ya panties stuck up your ass.

Sure kitty count me in. But I didn't realize the forum had gotten this bad. Looks like I've been away too long.

Hello Kitty
06-16-2012, 10:14 PM
@George - Added your suggestion to post #3.

@GR - Great to hear you're in. Glad you're back!

@Ev - Hola Ev! Thanks for the feedback and have added you. Let's start with self moderation and continue to ask Funzio for support. Perhaps if they see we are making an effort and it's organized, maybe they will realize they should step up too.

stricker
06-16-2012, 10:24 PM
@Stricker - great comments. Do you want to help turn in your suggestions into a code so I can modify the original post or tell me how to modify what's already there? i.e. Offense, Funzio Moderation, Self Moderation (Practice & Suggestion). I hadn't considered addressing the frequency of creation of nonsense threads/polls.

sure! will get this done soon... been in recovery mode since having oral surgery yesterday... uuuugh, all 4 wisdom teeth were impacted... lots of pain, pain killers, anti-FLANantory meds, bed side bell for service and lots of ice SCREAM!!! boo-hoo/yeah!!! lol

stricker
06-16-2012, 10:26 PM
Sticker...it seems like every forum I've been on has one or two people, like yourself, who are funny as he!!, but dance the line, and every now and then slip over, usually by accident. You might need to dial it back a notch, but don't lose your sense of humor, you know how to do it without being obnoxious, and sometimes that quirky sense of humor is exactly what is needed when things get stressed out. :)

hmmmm... that's a lot of Course Air you're blowing my way!!! ...only time will tell, lol ;p

Corsair
06-16-2012, 10:36 PM
George, that is exactly the way I've seen it done elsewhere when warnings are implemented. I'd rather see Gree use their own mods rather than try to find user mods, that can lead to problems and conflicts of interest. But what you describe would work quite well based on my experience.

stricker
06-16-2012, 10:45 PM
George, that is exactly the way I've seen it done elsewhere when warnings are implemented. I'd rather see Gree use their own mods rather than try to find user mods, that can lead to problems and conflicts of interest. But what you describe would work quite well based on my experience.

A-Gree w/you there courseaire!!! lol... i've never been an advocate for member mods and it would be extremely hard for anyone to convince me otherwise...

Wdigeorge
06-16-2012, 10:51 PM

Agreed. But in light of the lack of manpower from funzio/gree to properly mange this forum with their own people, empowering "respected" volunteer members is probably our best option and have zero cost impact to funzio/gree.

Having a diverse selection of moderators and limiting their powers is one way to minimize conflict of interest. Multiple checks and balances should help curb abuse.

Respect and trust is earned. Funzio/Gree can slowly dish out powers as the new mods takes the helm. Being a moderator requires tremendous responsibility, time commitment, and the right temperament.

Wdigeorge
06-16-2012, 11:06 PM
A-Gree w/you there courseaire!!! lol... i've never been an advocate for member mods and it would be extremely hard for anyone to convince me otherwise...

Ideally it would be someone from Funzio/Gree, but if you are waiting for that, it maybe a while before you see any change.

I can easily site a dozen member moderated forums that have been and is still successful for decades. I was a senior moderator on major firearms forum, with tens of thousands of members, for over ten years so I can speak from first hand experience. The site owner has final say about perm. bans but the moderators perform majority of the day today duties.

PS - I have mentioned this in another thread but I wanted to be clear that I am by no means want to throw my hat into the ring to be a mod. I have been there, done that, and understand the amount of effort and commitment it involves.

There are, however a few on this forum, whom I think could be good candidates. I would be happy to help and share my experience if so desired.

overkill 280
06-16-2012, 11:11 PM
Hey Kitty add me on..And I'll get to work on what you asked as soon as I can.

stricker
06-17-2012, 12:02 AM
@george (and all)... i totally understand and respect you're position. i've seen it handled successfully on other forums also... the issue here is that it involves more than one specific forum... if gree does this w/MW, then they would also have to do it w/CC, KA and most likely their google counterparts, as well as, possibly the tech forum... i just can't see that happening for one...

...i've been pushing for a self-imposed code of conduct to which the majority of the community can agree upon for some time now and have had several private conversations about this with several members. i'm so grateful kitty has had enough catnip to dive into the lead in doing so... from what i know of her professional background, the has the expertise and is highly qualified to do just this sort of thing... and she is giving away her precious time for free to benefit not gree, but us, the faithful regular forum members... this is highly respectable and reason alone for us all to pitch in and do our part to self regulate 'our' community friends. Go Kitty!!!

...so, imo i think this is a very reasonable approach to having a fun, respectful, informative, helpful, vibrant and unique forum community where we still are able to maintain a high degree of freedom of expression amongst ourselves... new members are welcome to join in and are expected to build creditability with the rest of the community members while allowed the latitude to develop their own unique voice among the rest of us diversity individuals... if we have a code of conduct the majority can agree upon, it will be in some ways, similar to the U.S. Constitution in that it is an experiment in self-government...

i also believe this is something that will allow gree to stand behind and allow us to be more of a community of moderators. respected senior members become de facto un-official mods of the MW forum. then, if we have problem members that are being intentionally malicious, we can easily petition the admins/mods to ban that person AND i think they will gladly look into the matter, as well as, most likely follow through with action quickly and appropriately...

please allow me to digress on a tangent for a moment... the forum has official posting guidelines but i see NO REASON what so ever to seek the permission of the admins/mods on this matter... imo i think they are most likely excited and please to see the way we as a community band together and take charge of what happens here... this frees them up to concentrate on the matters that are more important to us as gamers... more specifically the matrix of issues that speed has pulled together... mark has already commented that he is keeping a close watch on that thread... i would only imagine he/others are doing the same here on this thread also..

(tol... GASP!!! ...i can only imagine the shock on all of you guys faces after seeing stricker actually ask y'all to 'please allow me to OT' BAH-HA-HAH!!! ...that might even be a 1st!!! ;p)

BOMT... (my new acronym... back off my tangent)
...by going about handling the MW forum with this approach, the majority of the burden does not fall on 3 - 6 members to continously give away hours and hours for free to do what a we can all do collectively. as you have mentioned, you've have already done this before, so you for one should know that it most certainly becomes a heavy burden from time to time. i might even venture a guess that you lost you enjoyment, or first love for being a part of that forum community on several occasions also!!!

...there are many other reasons why i am not an advocate for member mods, but these few are geared more specifically toward inviting the rest of the community that may be on the sideline, on the fence or not yet aware of the reasoning behind Kitty's effort to pull this together, to understand just how valuable and beneficial this code of conduct, DECORuM in the FORuM really is to us all!!!

in closing, GET ON BOARD FORUM MEMBERS!!!

Thunder Child
06-17-2012, 05:50 AM
I go away for a little more than 24 hours and come back to a totally refreshed Forum and a decimated base.

TOTALLY behind you, Kitty - count on my support and happy to assist in any way I can!

mickymacirl
06-17-2012, 06:53 AM
Yep I'd have to echo TC's comments there, oh btw there's a much better moderated Funzio game forum in existance. Just saying.

SeqWins
06-17-2012, 07:01 AM
Yep I'd have to echo TC's comments there, oh btw there's a much better moderated Funzio game forum in existance. Just saying.

I wonder where that place is...

Agent Orange
06-17-2012, 07:46 AM
Good idea Kitty, think George also makes some very valid suggestions especially in terms of bans which I don't think are good to put into the hands of forum members unless they have shown long term common sense. Otherwise you will have at least one person on your list that takes things too personally and has a high potential for abusing this added power.

Good job one the list of information, should be stickied.

Hello Kitty
06-17-2012, 09:46 AM
Added TC, micky and AO as supporters (post #2). Updated Suggestions to Funzio (post #3) to reflect discussion on our recommendations.

overkill 280
06-17-2012, 08:34 PM
Added TC, micky and AO as supporters (post #2). Updated Suggestions to Funzio (post #3) to reflect discussion on our recommendations.Hey!! You forgot me Kitty :rolleyes:

Kudu22
06-17-2012, 10:02 PM
I do appreciate the work that would be involved for the members involved. I do however see the lack of information and informative posts the way it was months ago. I stop by to see if something really is going on game wise once in awhile but for the most part HK it is some of the same people " senior members" you are asking to watch over things that have caused the situation to "self moderate". I 100% agree that the silly threads and polls were not even exist but they are always responded to and started by the senior members for the most part. I guess what I am saying is I dont think you are going to see the changes you want until someone moderates some of the people you want as moderators.

Tate
06-17-2012, 11:32 PM
i'm sure that we'll see the list pared down to "responsible" members, if we get that far.

still waiting for some input from the current mods. to get an idea if it's even going to have any support

Poopenshire
06-18-2012, 04:29 AM
Remember Mark said he was busy this past weekend and would not likely get to thing on Monday. I have a feeling if we get a response today it will still be a few hours until so.

Tate
06-18-2012, 09:20 AM
I'm sure looking forward to some type of response.

Hello Kitty
06-18-2012, 01:17 PM
Hey!! You forgot me Kitty :rolleyes: Sorry ok! You're on the list of supporters now.

I do appreciate the work that would be involved for the members involved. I do however see the lack of information and informative posts the way it was months ago. I stop by to see if something really is going on game wise once in awhile but for the most part HK it is some of the same people " senior members" you are asking to watch over things that have caused the situation to "self moderate". I 100% agree that the silly threads and polls were not even exist but they are always responded to and started by the senior members for the most part. I guess what I am saying is I dont think you are going to see the changes you want until someone moderates some of the people you want as moderators.Agree with you Kudu on both points: 1) some of the members, including myself, helped to create the situation by acknowledging undesireable behavior which in turn perpetuated it, but that's the purpose of doing a little introspection and then deciding to officially support self moderation - it still won't be perfect, but better is good, then we'll get to best and 2) we absolutely need moderator support to help us be successful, hopefully they take notice that we're willing to help ourselves first and will also increase the frequency of communication and information to us.

I'm sure looking forward to some type of response.Me too.

Speed ump
06-18-2012, 01:49 PM
You might try putting in a support ticket from the game also. The more ways you try to contact the better. Did you pm mark?

Hello Kitty
06-18-2012, 02:00 PM
You might try putting in a support ticket from the game also. The more ways you try to contact the better. Did you pm mark?Thanks for the recommendation Speed. I'll try a PM. Usually try to reserve the support ticket for game issues - will reserve that for my last ditch effort.

Crime City Mark
06-18-2012, 03:48 PM
Sure, it's a good idea but why try and change things the hard way when there's another forum where we can actually remove nonsense threads without having to tell "mummy" to do it for us.
Surely the simple solution is to move to the other forum for discussions and use this forum for updates from CC Mark.

By no means am I saying I will not try and help this cause but all I'm saying is that there is an easier way to a get a better forum.

Respect :)

Seriously, stop promoting outside forums. Final warning.

Crime City Mark
06-18-2012, 03:50 PM
Remember Mark said he was busy this past weekend and would not likely get to thing on Monday. I have a feeling if we get a response today it will still be a few hours until so.

Well, I'm certainly not reading things at 4:29am. Unless I'm dreaming about reading things, which would be scary.

SeqWins
Hey CCMark----We as a forum would love for to participate in our..Name the Players thread...we're keeping it clean fun and "legal" with the Help of Kitty...:)

Crime City Mark
Thanks for the recommendation Speed. I'll try a PM. Usually try to reserve the support ticket for game issues - will reserve that for my last ditch effort.

Yeah, please never contact support about forum stuff.

Crime City Mark
06-18-2012, 03:51 PM
Hey CCMark----We as a forum would love for to participate in our..Name the Players thread...we're keeping it clean fun and "legal" with the Help of Kitty...:)

I feel like there's a noun missing here. You'd love for who to participate? I'm confused. Not trying to call you out, I really just don't understand what you're saying.

Crime City Mark
06-18-2012, 03:52 PM
I'm in the process of building out a lot (and I mean a lot) of community stuff this past week and this week, forums included. Stay tuned.

SeqWins
06-18-2012, 03:53 PM
I feel like there's a noun missing here. You'd love for who to participate? I'm confused. Not trying to call you out, I really just don't understand what you're saying.

You......I suck at typing...should have stayed in school instead chose the military.

stricker
06-18-2012, 03:59 PM
Well, I'm certainly not reading things at 4:29am. Unless I'm dreaming about reading things, which would be scary.

Bah-Ha-HAH!!!

CCMark at 4:29am...
http://i993.photobucket.com/albums/af58/rmgboys/MW_glitch/screen-shot-2010-08-18-at-10-26-55-am.png
CCMark tol... OMGosh... Seriously!!! What did PooP just post on the MW Forum??? ...he's going to be banned now!!! Mhooooowowowaoaoahahahahaha... )

bigflan
06-18-2012, 04:01 PM
Wait another naming contest and more contest I must win will prepare now

Jp lfs
06-20-2012, 07:51 AM
Hello Kitty, I just wanted to say both CONGRATULATIONS and THANK YOU!!!

After less than a week, the results are already noticeable. Even members who did not officially sign on seem to be doing some self-regulation. The ones who did sign on are doing an amazing job. There are still social threads, so everyone can still have just as much fun. Most importantly, the forum in general seems a lot cleaner already. WELL DONE!

Dreno33
06-20-2012, 08:11 AM
Junior Member = new member, post count < 49
Member = 50 < post count < 100
Senior Member = post count > 100
Developer = Funzio representative

Knowing you, the highlighted part probably bugs you so here are some signs ( ≤ ≥ ) that you can incorporate however you wish (that's the beauty of Macs). From how you have it worded RIGHT NOW, the ≤ should be implemented in the...

Member = 50 ≤ post count < 100

there, all fixed(:
*chanting with fist pumps* OH-CEE-DEE! OH-CEE-DEE! OH-CEE-DEE!

Hello Kitty
06-20-2012, 01:53 PM
Hello Kitty, I just wanted to say both CONGRATULATIONS and THANK YOU!!!

After less than a week, the results are already noticeable. Even members who did not officially sign on seem to be doing some self-regulation. The ones who did sign on are doing an amazing job. There are still social threads, so everyone can still have just as much fun. Most importantly, the forum in general seems a lot cleaner already. WELL DONE!Thank you Jp! I just started the thread, everyone else has had huge role in making this effort a success. Agree with you on all points. Hopefully Funzio will meet us part way. Looking forward to the upcoming changes CCM mentioned.

Thanks to everyone for making this great, fun forum and a huge part of making the MW so fun to play! You guys ROCK!!!

.Crime City Mark.
08-15-2012, 12:05 PM
I love guidelines and rules.

mickymacirl
08-15-2012, 12:14 PM
heh you dont have blue txt!!!

albeezy
08-15-2012, 12:44 PM
heh you dont have blue txt!!!
Or a red username!

Agent Orange
08-15-2012, 01:31 PM
Thanks HK for taking the time to put together a great list of ideas to help clean up the forums.

Happy to help out where I can as well. I think the big trick sometimes is to just sit on your hands when you come across some nonsense in here, it's tough I guess but I find the ignore option to be really useful.

Mostly though it's just common sense that seems to be lacking sometimes plus the problem of people hiding behind the anonymous nature of the internet. Perhaps more face to face meetings are in order so that folks get a better idea of where everyone is coming from problem will always be the distance factor (I suppose though I do need a good excuse to go visit my cousin in LA). That plus the fact that you are less likely to act mindlessly in person vs online.

Niko Bellic
09-26-2012, 02:42 PM
This is dumb! It's the internet deal with it!

Roman Bellic
09-26-2012, 02:52 PM

I agree with you, cousin.

overkill 280
09-26-2012, 03:03 PM

I agree with you, cousin.It may be the internet yes..But why be a foolish person on it? just cause you can be? Why make a fool of ones self!

Tate
09-26-2012, 03:06 PM
Some just can't help themselves OK. Just ignore ignorant ppl

overkill 280
09-26-2012, 03:10 PM
Some just can't help themselves OK. Just ignore ignorant pplHaha and that's been my weakness in me! I have a real hard time ignoring.

Niko Bellic
09-26-2012, 03:11 PM
It may be the internet yes..But why be a foolish person on it? just cause you can be? Why make a fool of ones self!

Hey don't be talking to me like this homey unless you want to feel the pain.

Roman Bellic
09-26-2012, 03:12 PM
Some just can't help themselves OK. Just ignore ignorant ppl

Put that Assassin's Creed s**t away, dog. Pick up some GTA.

overkill 280
09-26-2012, 03:13 PM
Hey don't be talking to me like this homey unless you want to feel the pain.Pssh!!! whatcha gonna do? Say something mean over the INTERNET? lollol

Crime City Mark
09-26-2012, 03:20 PM
Thread necro is bad. Niko, watch yourself.