PDA

View Full Version : Wall Street Journal: Mobile Game Fight Goes Global (i.e. GREE)

kykboxr
06-14-2012, 05:24 AM
Click here to read the article (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303410404577463990080511160.html)

Feng1234
06-14-2012, 05:44 AM
Nice read. I wonder whether we will get phased out or whether because we are offered free options of case opens, we are outside of the stated category?

Luciferianism
06-14-2012, 05:51 AM
Are they playing crime city in Japan?

Mavado
06-14-2012, 05:54 AM
Nice read. I wonder whether we will get phased out or whether because we are offered free options of case opens, we are outside of the stated category?
Not at all, if you look at the % of people who pay, Zombie has the highest with 14%
CC has had around 9mill downloads of which, I would hazard a guess and say maybe 2-3% are gold buyers.

OT but was reading WSJ this morning, the alleged memo from Nokia Chief Stephen Elop.
Very interesting if true

rareay84
06-14-2012, 08:24 AM
Just to be clear about who gets our money:
Game developers already pay a 30% revenue split to Apple, Google and Microsoft from sales made on their respective systems. They have to pay 30% of what remains to the social game platform.I wish there was a way we could just meet CCM or Fizzle for lunch and buy direct.

sexkitteh
06-14-2012, 08:48 AM
Gree generates $11.21 for every user who plays one of its games at least once a month,

What about blizzard with games like WoW - millions of users dishing out 14bucks a month to play...

Video game industry generates money... I don't understand why the massive controversy...

It's the way this generation is going to make money...

I'm more concerned about fuel prices personally...

at a buckfifty a LITER where I am... that's robbery... let's focus on that instead world!!!

Or how about Internet companies? Charging arm and a leg for bandwidth?

Or cell phone companies raping everyone every month...

Reminds me of the 90's/2k when people complained that video games made children violent o_0...

Mavado
06-14-2012, 08:52 AM
What about blizzard with games like WoW - millions of users dishing out 14bucks a month to play...

Video game industry generates money... I don't understand why the massive controversy...

It's the way this generation is going to make money...

I'm more concerned about fuel prices personally...

at a buckfifty a LITER where I am... that's robbery... let's focus on that instead world!!!

Or how about Internet companies? Charging arm and a leg for bandwidth?

Or cell phone companies raping everyone every month...

Reminds me of the 90's/2k when people complained that video games made children violent o_0...

This article was specifically in regards to mobile gaming....hence what Blizzard make with WoW is inconsequential.

sexkitteh
06-14-2012, 08:55 AM
I know... but it's the controversy going on in Japan... it always has been (asia actually)

And even games like WoW had been discussed in the past in asia and other games like it...

They always make an issue about it...

Mavado
06-14-2012, 09:17 AM
I know... but it's the controversy going on in Japan... it always has been (asia actually)

And even games like WoW had been discussed in the past in asia and other games like it...

They always make an issue about it...
They seem to have no issues with tentacle sex...I think you omitted that to make them look bad

Dipstik
06-14-2012, 09:25 AM
What's the deal with the tentacle sex anyway? Might as well get this thread locked... :)

Dreno33
06-14-2012, 09:27 AM
Some good summary points in the article for those who don't want to read the whole thing:

Gree bought game maker Funzio Inc. for $210 million last month, giving it popular titles such as "Modern War" and "Crime City."

Gree generates $11.21 for every user who plays one of its games at least once a month, according to Macquarie Securities.

In early May, stocks of Gree and DeNA fell more than 20% after the nation's Consumer Affairs Agency said it was considering whether a sales method called "complete gacha" violates the law. A few days later, both companies said they would phase out the games that used this lucrative method, in which users are charged several dollars a pop to have the chance to win a group of virtual cards, which can unlock another prize.

Last month, Gree opened its platform so users in Japan can play with friends in the U.S. or Europe. By September, it aims to have 60 games while operating in 14 different languages.

madawgg
06-14-2012, 01:44 PM
I couldn't help but think Gree might be the asian version of Glee...

tower
06-14-2012, 03:08 PM
In early May, stocks of Gree and DeNA fell more than 20% after the nation's Consumer Affairs Agency said it was considering whether a sales method called "complete gacha" violates the law. A few days later, both companies said they would phase out the games that used this lucrative method, in which users are charged several dollars a pop to have the chance to win a group of virtual cards, which can unlock another prize.

K, enough reading...screw cards, time to open more boxes!

D'oh...