Ryan5100
06-10-2012, 05:55 PM
Which do you prefer and why?

Jhoemel
06-10-2012, 06:03 PM
I prefer raiding now, less unit loss

andymac106
06-10-2012, 06:05 PM
Attacking. Although raiding yields more money attacking is better for the lazy people like me

Ryan5100
06-10-2012, 06:06 PM
I prefer raiding now, less unit lossI seem to lose tons of SH's when I raid

JohnnyR
06-10-2012, 06:11 PM
Raiding 100%.

There is actual cash to be made. I can pull in 10 mil over the cost of my units relatively easily. I know many others can do more. Attacks are like the lottery, a thousand hits and you just MIGHT, just MIGHT get something. When you do it pays off handsomely though, 3 mil is a lot of fun to rake in-this might happen in a week of nonstop attacks for me when I was valor hunting. :( The unfortunate part is that the higher you go, the less likely that will happen, though raiding actually becomes easier for me.

The only downfall to raiding is that there are no valor missions tied to it, so losing a SH or SF or any other high value valor unit is a total loss without hope of scooping in extra valor in the course of action.

I think the perfect raiding setup is 20% hi value valor army to 80% meat shield army. How do I know? I set out to record how long it would take to lose 10 SH from my army, so I recorded my numbers (took screenshots actually) at 200 SH, and finally when I stopped the experiment at 192 SH. I stopped because I had another experiment in mind regarding attack skill points (more on that later), the grand total of attacks, losses, raids and failed raids it took for me to lose 8 Super Hornets was 1064. This is quite impressive to me. From complaints here on casualty rates I'm guessing this tactic needs to be tried out.

Raiding is an ends to a means however, a way to build economy to buy defensive units and to buy meatshields more importantly. Good Econ -> Steady Meatshield flow -> Ability to carry out more valor missions -> Generate bigger stats -> Protect the Econ -> Dominate!

In a way, it is like spinning plates. Completely pointless, but oh so satisfying to have a good balance and every plate going.

Q Raider
06-10-2012, 06:52 PM
Raiding for me is where I get my income to cover the losses from doing the degradation missions as they can be very costly, particularly when chasing people with ally counts well over 100 in excess of yours. JohnnyR is obviously better set up than me as Flamethrowers are my shields, not snipers...have to work on getting that solved I guess.

If you are chasing BP's then you can also raid above what you can successfully attack at and gain the higher BP return.

Both have a part in the game and I think that tackling all facets makes it a more enjoyable experience.

JohnnyR
06-10-2012, 06:58 PM
What's your game name Q? I'd like to check out your place. Honestly, my set up isn't the most impressive, but it works for me and I see progress every day. IPH is below 300k currently, but I collect them 12/24/48 pretty decently.

[edit] Ha, nvm bud, found ya.

Thunder Child
06-10-2012, 07:07 PM
At the moment, raiding all the way. Not quite as committed as Johnny, but by selecting the right (weak) targets, pulling in a few million daily without loss. Turning all that cash into Destroyers so that I'm overly dependent on valor units which continue to seep away.

Warfiend
06-10-2012, 07:27 PM
Where I'm at, I get so much more valor out of attacking than raiding(I don't think that boat with valor bonus is doing anything for my raids), that attacking is the best return for me. If I need cash and can't wait for my economy, I might raid, but I've had an easier time lately finding unvaulted cash than buildings worth raiding. My valor losses are trivial with with my current force configuration.

I expect raiding to be more profitable as I head into the upper levels where people have upgraded oil rigs and higher leveled buildings in general. Down here, it seems like almost every oil rig is level 1, if they even have one. level is mid 30s.

Q Raider
06-10-2012, 07:31 PM
What's your game name Q? I'd like to check out your place. Honestly, my set up isn't the most impressive, but it works for me and I see progress every day. IPH is below 300k currently, but I collect them 12/24/48 pretty decently.

[edit] Ha, nvm bud, found ya.

Game plan: Keep running and hope the one's you p1$$ed off on the way through don't catch up.....

manbeast
06-10-2012, 08:32 PM
attacking.

reason- if you look at the most successful players at every level
90% of them are heavy attackers.
5% hard carmpers (i have only ran into 1 of these)
5% heavy gold players

heavy raiders are all the guys with captain/major pvp rank, but have the crappiest stats ever.

this is the reason i attack more than i raid. i believe raids change the casualty mechanics and make you lose better items somehow. attacking, i only use snipers.

attacking also gives you loot items. it would be nice of the loot items were useful though.

JohnnyR
06-10-2012, 08:46 PM
attacking.

reason- if you look at the most successful players at every level
90% of them are heavy attackers.
5% hard carmpers (i have only ran into 1 of these)
5% heavy gold players

heavy raiders are all the guys with captain/major pvp rank, but have the crappiest stats ever.

this is the reason i attack more than i raid. i believe raids change the casualty mechanics and make you lose better items somehow. attacking, i only use snipers.

attacking also gives you loot items. it would be nice of the loot items were useful though.

MB, we allies yet?

Gotta check out your base, dunno your ingame name tho...

Q Raider
06-10-2012, 09:05 PM
Man beast:
Some of your hard attackers will be players with low loss advantage. Others likely to be still getting the decent loot that can go into your attack force.

A few weeks ago when the game constantly crashed, raiding was the only option to continue to play the PVP section of the game as attacks crashed and the money went with the crash.....

Definitely don't experience the different casualty mechanics you are seeing.....be nice to though.

JohnnyR
06-10-2012, 09:17 PM
With Q regarding the casualties, I've not noticed any difficulties or differences. I pick my battles wisely, but even my equals have a hard time chipping at my units. I'll raid anyone's lvl 2 OR, lvl 10 Munitions, or any like payout building and come out ahead.

IMO, casualies are a multi-tiered element to consider: opponent stats, valor:meatshield ratio, unit composition, payout:loss ratio, and possibly attack skill points. I'm perfectly content with losing what I lose, because I've picked my units, opponent, and buildings.

What?
06-10-2012, 10:33 PM
It depends what I'm trying to do. Attacking seems to give more xp and valor so if you are trying to level or gain more valor it is the way to go. If you are looking for cash then raiding is better. Most of the time when I'm looking to raid I check the players cash on hand and end up attacking if they have the cash, but I went there with the intention of raiding, so I would say raiding is the best for me.

RedLabit
06-10-2012, 11:30 PM
Attack for valor. Cash is pretty hard to come by nowadays with everyone at max vault.

Raiding for enjoyment. Raid your rival's high level money buildings and not only do you gain cash, you also delay your rival's progress by reducing his money collection. Enjoyment starts when they come full steam back at you...

Arizona
06-11-2012, 04:02 AM
Raiding.
I can see what I'm getting. I'm only ever happy attacking someone who's over the 10m vault limit. Also, I seem to lose less units raiding.
It's so frustrating attacking a player I can clearly beat, looks like he may be over a mid range vault, and find there's no money in the win, but instead, I lose a high value unit or two.

Maybe at higher levels there's more unvaulted money to be had in attacks but here (L71) I'm spending more and more time trying to find loose money. So I check the stats first, raid Ore mines, Oil rigs, Muni's or any other cash rich building.

Ascent
06-11-2012, 04:42 AM
As I have a rather strong economy (650,000 iph) I don't care about money too much right now. The income is just right to keep a 100% meatshield army of snipers and flamethrowers so I can hoard valor... therefore I am attacking pretty much nonstop. Once I reach my goal of 600,000 valor I will use it to all for defense and start upgrading the $30,000,000+ buildings... that's when I will probably do some raiding as well... I did not raid before since people at my level did not have really high level buildings worth raiding compared to my income.

manbeast
06-11-2012, 08:57 AM
MB, we allies yet?

Gotta check out your base, dunno your ingame name tho...

IGN is manbeast. checked my ally requests and didnt see your name so i sent u a request. my base is really cluttered. had to make room for my gold buildings during the last event and now all my money is going into upgrades.

rareay84
06-11-2012, 09:41 AM
I raid to gain battlepoints and valor when I find someone who gives me 100-170 per hit.

I attack to get game boxes and when I need to find someone with cash. It's cool being able to just attack everyone on my rival's list once each, and then focus on someone paying out $100k/hit or more.

I don't lose a lot of units, so I must be doing something right.

Mackdaddy
06-11-2012, 10:56 AM
Raiding. I switched to raiding a month ago because attacking and complete valor missions can level you up quickly.

Fifth Reich
06-11-2012, 03:21 PM
I attack because I want valor.

Ryan5100
06-11-2012, 03:30 PM
Raiding. I switched to raiding a month ago because attacking and complete valor missions can level you up quickly.I think I'm gonna start raiding because like you said valor missions level you up quite quickly unlike if you raid. The only time I'll attack is if I need to buy a valor unit