PDA

View Full Version : Event overtime question

Carlos,
06-09-2012, 03:38 PM
I have my app open since last night, so the event is still working for me. I've been getting all the basic items so far and I'm wondering if anybody knows if it's even possible to get another artifact? Has anyone ever done it?

Ramshutu
06-09-2012, 03:42 PM
I have my app open since last night, so the event is still working for me. I've been getting all the basic items so far and I'm wondering if anybody knows if it's even possible to get another artifact? Has anyone ever done it?

Yes they have. Someone has done it today, I did it 4 minutes into OT a few weeks ago.

However, I think that while a few minutes maybe acceptable, hours or even days may be frowned upon by the powers that be. As the information is communicated to the server, it would be easy to detect who is exploiting overtime.

DLSmooth
06-09-2012, 03:42 PM

Its possible. In two previous events I got my 9th artifact in overtime. Still no 10s though....

Swingle007
06-09-2012, 03:44 PM
I went two full days in o.t. a few events ago and never got the 10th. I don't even mess with it for more than a try or two now.

Eyelusion
06-09-2012, 04:49 PM
I did it this event for 2 hours. I didn't even think twice about it as I still had CC up on my iphone and when the time was supposed to run out for the event, the timer said it was ending "soon!" so I figured it was fine. I was up to attempt 134 about an hour in and got a fail. I tried another right before bed on attempt 135 and got the #10 artifact after getting #9 all the way back on attempt #31 on early day 3.

So, can it be done? I did it. Do I think it should be done for days on end? No. I would have even thought differently if I felt I was tricking the event to stay on and the event timer said "over".

I'm completely comfortable with getting the big prize at 2am. :)

M00nsh1n3
06-09-2012, 04:52 PM
How is this overtime in events not the same as cheating?

Eyelusion
06-09-2012, 04:57 PM
Why would the event timer say "Soon!" when the timer runs down if it was intended to be "over"? I heard it crashes soon after to close it?

Olly1
06-09-2012, 05:01 PM
The code required to stop successful attempts after the timer ends is very easy to do and can be done in a number of ways with very very basic programming

If Funzio didn't want people to be successful after the event they could easily stop it. Don't forget some people spend gold to open boxes. If customers spend gold after the end of an event, Funzio has earnt extra money that they wouldn't have had otherwise. It may be frowned on by some other players but IMO it's not frowned on by Funzio

Euchred
06-09-2012, 05:17 PM
I've spent gold to get 10 in OT before almost 18 hours after the event eneded, I read on the KA forum that you just get another 9th item now.

Eyelusion
06-09-2012, 05:57 PM
I got the 10th item, the big blade, 2 hours after. I should have taken a screenshot so I can show the event timer said ending "Soon!"

k0de
06-09-2012, 06:52 PM
Got the ninth Artifact about 4 hours into OT, which is actually pretty sad considering the event had already been extended by two days.

How is this overtime in events not the same as cheating?
Yes, maybe it is cheating. But more importantly WOW!! LOOK AT ALL THE FCKS EVERYONE GIVES!!!
What would you have people do? I sometimes leave CC running for 12+ hours when I have no reason to exit, and think nothing of doing so. Simply because an event happens to have ended seems no reason to do anything different. Almost all the players you come across will play by the rules all of the time, but I doubt you'll find anyone who says to themselves "Ah well, the timers up for this event so I guess I should restart, or just not open any more boxes. After all, if I were to get another item now, that would be unfair to the six people who were lucky enough to receive it within the allotted time."
I wouldn't hold it against anyone if they got the last item a few hours after the official end. Given how difficult it is to collect ten items in 7, 8, even 9 days, I can only congratulate anyone who manages to do so at all.

As Olly1 said, it would be easy enough to program the event to end for good when the timer expires. Think of the times when you have one box available to open, then lose it during an attack. If your device hasn't had any communication with the server, you may not discover the loss until you make your next attempt at opening, at which time the box is deducted for your inventory. In much the same way, any remaining unopened boxes could easily be cleared from each player at the time of the first device-server communication after the posted conclusion of an event, yet this doesn't happen. No doubt there are several other methods which would yield the same result, but again none are in place. Thus, one can conclude that it is the intention of Funzio to allow players this "overtime" rather than to incur a lockout at the zero-hour.

M00nsh1n3
06-09-2012, 07:10 PM
Got the ninth Artifact about 4 hours into OT, which is actually pretty sad considering the event had already been extended by two days.

Yes, maybe it is cheating. But more importantly WOW!! LOOK AT ALL THE FCKS EVERYONE GIVES!!!
What would you have people do? I sometimes leave CC running for 12+ hours when I have no reason to exit, and think nothing of doing so. Simply because an event happens to have ended seems no reason to do anything different. Almost all the players you come across will play by the rules all of the time, but I doubt you'll find anyone who says to themselves "Ah well, the timers up for this event so I guess I should restart, or just not open any more boxes. After all, if I were to get another item now, that would be unfair to the six people who were lucky enough to receive it within the allotted time."
I wouldn't hold it against anyone if they got the last item a few hours after the official end. Given how difficult it is to collect ten items in 7, 8, even 9 days, I can only congratulate anyone who manages to do so at all.

As Olly1 said, it would be easy enough to program the event to end for good when the timer expires. Think of the times when you have one box available to open, then lose it during an attack. If your device hasn't had any communication with the server, you may not discover the loss until you make your next attempt at opening, at which time the box is deducted for your inventory. In much the same way, any remaining unopened boxes could easily be cleared from each player at the time of the first device-server communication after the posted conclusion of an event, yet this doesn't happen. No doubt there are several other methods which would yield the same result, but again none are in place. Thus, one can conclude that it is the intention of Funzio to allow players this "overtime" rather than to incur a lockout at the zero-hour.

So, if I understood correctly you're trying to say because funzio doesn't patch this bug it is ok to exploit it? How about the money and respect glitches? I guess I can start using those and use your excuse when someone post something on my wall or reports me to funzio.

Bottom line if you're doing "overtime" you're a cheater, same as the respect and money exploiters.

tower
06-09-2012, 07:14 PM
The android version never gives me more than a couple hours into overtime before its routine crash. I'd take advantage of the glitch as long as I could if it wasn't for the crashing.

k0de
06-09-2012, 11:30 PM
So, if I understood correctly you're trying to say because funzio doesn't patch this bug it is ok to exploit it? How about the money and respect glitches?

No- you missed my point entirely. Quite simply, it isn't a bug- it's intentional. The duration of the event over-runs the time remaining countdown by design.

...which is here, just in case you missed it-

...one can conclude that it is the intention of Funzio to allow players this "overtime"...

If you feel it's cheating, don't do it. Report anyone who admits to having done it (starting with me). If I end up with a warning or b&, then your assertions will be proven correct (in which case I withdraw all previous statements without reservation).

Bottom line if you're doing "overtime" you're a cheater, same as the respect and money exploiters.
You're not the first to accuse me of cheating, nor will you be the first to be wrong about it.

But if you're right... then may God have mercy on my soul (which of course I don't have, being a low-life good-for-nothing cheating scumbag- breaking all the rules, ruining everything for everyone who plays fair and generally deriving joy from the human misery which litters my wake).

OG Kush
06-09-2012, 11:57 PM
I go until my game closes on me which can be from 5 hours after event till then next one starts. Just like getting respect and items. Never have gotten a tenth item.

Hank
06-10-2012, 12:02 AM
Report anyone who admits to having done it (starting with me).

what's your in-game name and level?

k0de
06-10-2012, 01:29 AM
what's your in-game name and level?
k0de
L161

M00nsh1n3
06-10-2012, 06:03 AM
@k0de, why do you believe this overtime is intentional?

Dipstik
06-10-2012, 06:09 AM
Because when writing the event code, it actually would have been easier to stop the event when the timer ended than to make it say "soon.". They coded that intentionally and know exactly what it means. This is nothing like the other glitches that have been discussed in the past.

AppleMacGuy
06-10-2012, 07:00 AM
My son got the 10th for the Coffer event in OT first go this morning. The event before last he got the 9th and 10th in OT also. No gold used in any event in his case. We leave the iPad running for as long as possible collecting buildings and opening boxes only...no other activity to prolong the inevitable game crash or as long as possible. I think our record was 4 days...we actually had to stop cos the next event started :p

Dipstik
06-10-2012, 09:05 AM
I've never gotten past about 12 hours, but I need to do other things with my machine.

Hed
06-10-2012, 10:31 AM
I was still opening boxes until an hour ago, didn't get any more artifacts though, just a few hazmat suits, m4 shotguns, and silenced uzi's.

Better than a poke in the eye with a burnt stick..as they say.

k0de
06-10-2012, 12:56 PM
@k0de, why do you believe this overtime is intentional?

Because when writing the event code, it actually would have been easier to stop the event when the timer ended than to make it say "soon.". They coded that intentionally and know exactly what it means. This is nothing like the other glitches that have been discussed in the past.
There you have it.

Ramshutu
06-10-2012, 01:31 PM

Depends... Remember that this game mainly pushes data to the server, rather than having the servr push data to the client. It works this way to ensure that a minimum amount of data is transmitted on your phone connection.

If you think of Robberies, these only show up as icons over your buildings if you log back into the game, not if the robbery occurs when you aren't looking. In the same way, overtime maybe based on the same principal, that to activate, or deactivate the event, the app needs to be reopened in order to load, or reset the event data.

The concept of overtime maybe intentional in order to deal with unexpected glitches in the local timer, in cases where a user is playing normally and wants a few more tries. However, I seriously doubt the intention of this "overtime" is to allow users to spend 2 additional days opening crates otherwise, why not simply set the end time to the start time of the next event and have done with it?

What has probably happened here, is that in terms of the implementation, it was most likely many extra man-weeks or event months of development time to make the event end dead after the expiry, and for business reasons, it was decided to put the event out sooner to begin earning immediate revenue.

Hed
06-10-2012, 01:43 PM
You don't think it has anything to do with the fact that people continue to buy and spend gold for as long as they are allowed to open boxes?

M00nsh1n3
06-10-2012, 02:12 PM
Agree 100%,

Ramshutu
06-10-2012, 02:22 PM
You don't think it has anything to do with the fact that people continue to buy and spend gold for as long as they are allowed to open boxes?

No. I would suspect most gold is spent in desperation to get the last item before the end of the event in the last couple of days. Having the deadline not be a deadline eliminates this desperation as people know 'ah, it doesn't matter, I can keep the app open'.