PDA

View Full Version : How are we supposed to warn people?

Swifty
06-06-2012, 11:05 AM
How are we supposed to warn people about impersonations and scams if the threads get deleted or locked?

Is this one of those bizarre fairness things where it is ruled unfair that forum readers are warned and non-forum readers are not warned?

Or is this about preferential treatment for that one special player who is doing all the impersonating and scamming?

Joeycool
06-06-2012, 11:09 AM
Remember Swifty.

We are not allowed to discussed locked threads. So be careful not too.

How ever I have an even more worrying issue. My threads completely disappear into thin air. I had someone impersonating me in forum PM's.

I tried to tell people about it with a post on the forum. Just so they knew that I wasnt a devious rat. Lots of people saw and replied to it. And now it has vanished into thin air. Very strange!

499Rat
06-06-2012, 11:11 AM
Paranoid Personality Disorder (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paranoid_personality_disorder)

jmeijer
06-06-2012, 11:12 AM
Remember Swifty.

How ever I have an even more worrying issue. My threads completely disappear into thin air. I had someone impersonating me in forum PM's.

I tried to tell people about it with a post on the forum. Just so they knew that I wasnt a devious rat. Lots of people saw and replied to it. And now it has vanished into thin air. Very strange!I am starting to believe that he IS a Funzio employee..

dudeman
06-06-2012, 11:17 AM
I was tying to read the thread in question when it vanished. I checked and there was only one dev online around the time "said thread" mysteriously disappeared. Maybe he can give you some answers?

I don't think that's very likely though, the only thing that dev ever posted here was the M4A1 update.

Johnny70
06-06-2012, 11:20 AM
hmmmm...... way to many foxes in the hen house!

Swifty
06-06-2012, 11:41 AM
Paranoid Personality Disorder?

I resemble that remark!

koralene
06-06-2012, 11:49 AM
omg... i was just looking for that thread. i was wondering where it had gone. Don't mention the person who should not be named and the fz in the same sentence or this will be locked and deleted as well. hehehe :p

sexkitteh
06-06-2012, 11:52 AM
Remember Swifty.

I tried to tell people about it with a post on the forum. Just so they knew that I wasnt a devious rat. Lots of people saw and replied to it. And now it has vanished into thin air. Very strange!

joey - you seem like a cool down to earth person - however most sociopaths are...

MAYBE Funzio is closing your threads because YOU are the one in fact making up all this bullsh1t! and blaming someone of impersonating you... and funzio is like... dude... you so full of BS we just going to close your threads...

O_O

How bout dem apples?

Maybe... you are payam o_0 and you have multiple personalities... since this guy is so rich, he could afford multiple personalities...

Maybe YOU work for Funzio?! and are stirring up the drama pot!

This is like a terrible slasher movie.... anyways.... this could apply to anyone... EVEN ME! dun dun dun...

Crime City Mark
06-06-2012, 11:54 AM
You can warn people about impersonations without making false accusations of the company planting people to mess with you. Give it a try, I'm sure you can manage.

sexkitteh
06-06-2012, 11:56 AM
You can warn people about impersonations without making false accusations of the company planting people to mess with you. Give it a try, I'm sure you can manage.

Way to ruin my theory :P

Fig Oni
06-06-2012, 11:57 AM

That is the rudest post by you mark not that I was planning to post in this thread.

sexkitteh
06-06-2012, 11:59 AM
That is the rudest post by you mark not that I was planning to post in this thread.

Most people with power in a crime city would probably kill you ;)

Take the rude comment and be grateful for it!

koralene
06-06-2012, 12:00 PM

Why does he get away with so much then?

sexkitteh
06-06-2012, 12:01 PM
Why does he get away with so much then?

Maybe because he hasn't done anything tooooo crazy that merits a ban o_0

QPR
06-06-2012, 12:02 PM
We must be due another cringeworthy pm from said person

Fig Oni
06-06-2012, 12:04 PM
Mark so it ok to ban yahkin to impersonate a job vacancy which was not a deception but light hearted humor but if pooham impersonate a active forum member and be outed you make sniddy remake.

So impersonate a forum is ok like changing your name xenoke in the game.

sexkitteh
06-06-2012, 12:06 PM
Mark so it ok to ban yahkin to impersonate a job vacancy which was not a deception but light hearted humor but if pooham impersonate a active forum member and be outed you make sniddy remake.

So impersonate a forum is ok like changing your name xenoke in the game.

We can find out I suppose...

Would you like me to impersonate you? :D

Joeycool
06-06-2012, 12:10 PM

I never implied any one worked for Funzio.

I simply stated that someone was impersonating me by email.

By that comment I assume the thread was deleted rather than just vanishing into thin air.

Why not just delete any posts that you felt were making false accusations of the company. Why the whole thread?

Can you not understand why I may want to warn the community that a person was sending false emails in my name.

Do you even care?

Spartacus
06-06-2012, 12:14 PM
Did CCM just say something sarcastic? :O

@Joeycool, I would rather the offensive posts be deleted and the rest of the thread locked and preserved than simply the deleting of the entire thread.

Swearengen
06-06-2012, 12:20 PM
The fact is many others have been banned for much less. WTF? This place is getting hard to stomach.

Johnny70
06-06-2012, 12:46 PM
:cool:has anyone seen my hip boots?

I'll just be hanging out over here on the sofa with my *popcorn* and barley pop!

Welcome to this week's episode of As The City Spins... as we pan out we focus on { insert excerpts from your imagination here}........Cry Havoc And Let Loose the Dogs Of War! ARRRR!

well really I just wanted to see if I got back in here before it got the key turned on it..

dont ban me man, I didnt talk about he who cant be mentioned <-- feable attempt at staying on topic..

koralene
06-06-2012, 01:11 PM
We are in a soap opera hahaha

I can't wait to see what happens next. :p

Crime City Mark
06-06-2012, 01:43 PM
The thread wasn't deleted, it was closed. I'm not going to point fingers at specific people and say "the thread was closed because of X post you made.". If anyone wants to get their name changed, for any reason, we'll change their name. If we catch them abusing it (as we have with various players) we force a name change on them. If a player asks for a name that is a violation of our naming conventions we deny the change.

Yes, you can impersonate someone on the forums. If someone complains and it turns into a harassment issue we will investigate and take action. There is a big difference between impersonating a player and impersonating a member of the company. One is kind of a jerk thing to do, and the other is a legal and liability issue.

Joeycool
06-06-2012, 01:49 PM
The thread wasn't deleted, it was closed. I'm not going to point fingers at specific people and say "the thread was closed because of X post you made.". If anyone wants to get their name changed, for any reason, we'll change their name. If we catch them abusing it (as we have with various players) we force a name change on them. If a player asks for a name that is a violation of our naming conventions we deny the change.

Yes, you can impersonate someone on the forums. If someone complains and it turns into a harassment issue we will investigate and take action. There is a big difference between impersonating a player and impersonating a member of the company. One is kind of a jerk thing to do, and the other is a legal and liability issue.

The thread has disappeared completely.

Does that not mean it was deleted?

If it was not deleted where can it be seen?

QPR
06-06-2012, 01:55 PM
If the thread was closed I would expect to see it drop down the forum probably to be found on page 1, perhaps even page 2 but it's definitely not there.

499Rat
06-06-2012, 01:57 PM
The thread has disappeared completely.

Does that not mean it was deleted?

If it was not deleted where can it be seen?

vBulletin let's you "delete" a message, but it is still visible through the admin interface. We never truly delete anything as those pesky lawyers might want evidence down the road.

QPR
06-06-2012, 02:00 PM
vBulletin let's you "delete" a message, but it is still visible through the admin interface. We never truly delete anything as those pesky lawyers might want evidence down the road.

I know Vbullentin forums very well and you are referring to a soft delete and hard delete. Two completely different things and CCM implies it should still be visible...

Crime City Mark
06-06-2012, 02:00 PM
I'm pretty sure I didn't delete the thread. Thought I closed it. I'll go check.

Brooklyn Boy
06-06-2012, 02:03 PM
Where is it ok to impersonate anybody unless your a comedian in Vegas? That just isn't right!

sexkitteh
06-06-2012, 02:52 PM
Where is it ok to impersonate anybody unless your a comedian in Vegas? That just isn't right!

On the internetz actually... welcome to the internetz!

Nudie
06-06-2012, 08:38 PM
I would like to impersonate a comedian in Vegas.

mnju_03
06-06-2012, 08:42 PM
Why doesn't anybody want to impersonate me? What the hell? lol

Nudie
06-07-2012, 01:07 AM
Why doesn't anybody want to impersonate me? What the hell? lol

mnju, my BFF, I would love to impersonate you but I don't think I am up to posting a message in the forum every 2 seconds. :p

xenoke
06-07-2012, 06:39 AM

The thread was closed....like you've closed the problem :confused: ?!? You've banned players for much less !!
I think it's a $$$ thing :D.....This is my favorite line Marky...One is kind of a jerk thing to do, and the other is a legal and liability issue ;):D

Crime City Mark
06-07-2012, 08:28 AM
Xenoke, you are welcome to think whatever you'd like. Making accusations that someone is a company employee planted in the game to do damage or that they're abusing company access will get a thread locked. If it keeps up, bans may be handed out.

We do not, under any circumstances, allow company members to buff themselves up and run roughshod over people. I have access to every action taken with our admin tools, and I monitor things regularly. If something like that ever happened I'd simply ban their account, wipe them out, and then we'd be having some administrative meetings.

I've banned the accounts of QA members and senior staff alike for accidentally testing on production without having a tester tag on their account. I take company actions on production very seriously.

mnju_03
06-07-2012, 08:32 AM
mnju, my BFF, I would love to impersonate you but I don't think I am up to posting a message in the forum every 2 seconds. :p

It's a hard job, but someones gotta do it.

xenoke
06-07-2012, 08:47 AM
Xenoke, you are welcome to think whatever you'd like. Making accusations that someone is a company employee planted in the game to do damage or that they're abusing company access will get a thread locked. If it keeps up, bans may be handed out.

We do not, under any circumstances, allow company members to buff themselves up and run roughshod over people. I have access to every action taken with our admin tools, and I monitor things regularly. If something like that ever happened I'd simply ban their account, wipe them out, and then we'd be having some administrative meetings.

I've banned the accounts of QA members and senior staff alike for accidentally testing on production without having a tester tag on their account. I take company actions on production very seriously.

I'm not saying he's a company employee...I know he can do whatever he wants b/c he spends $$$ And you have banned players for less....That's why I think you're not handling this correctly and full of ???? I can also see that you take company actions very seriously b/c you don't allow players to talk about it :confused::confused:

Fig Oni
06-07-2012, 08:54 AM

Mark one thing, I am allowed to ask because of freedom of information act.

Why did you ban me for three days, also I like the answer to be made public as I am within my constitutional right to demand an answer.

Thank you

Crime City Mark
06-07-2012, 08:59 AM
Sheesh. Go read the Constitution before you start making demands with it. Also go read the FoIA. http://www.foia.gov/. It only allows you access to information from government sources.

You can't use it to get things from private businesses. Just like the right to free speech doesn't apply in private forums. You have exactly zero right to know why you were banned, or to have it made public. If you want to publicly discuss bans again I will ban your account.

Fig Oni
06-07-2012, 09:03 AM
Sheesh. Go read the Constitution before you start making demands with it. Also go read the FoIA. http://www.foia.gov/. It only allows you access to information from government sources.

You can't use it to get things from private businesses. Just like the right to free speech doesn't apply in private forums. You have exactly zero right to know why you were banned, or to have it made public. If you want to publicly discuss bans again I will ban your account.

Answer the question mate I don't need your extra to it.

Ban me now.

OK forum Fig has retired from the forum.

You're an idiot thinking a online virtual ban will effect me bye bye.

Also Lifetime ban be great as your a nazi bavarian illuminati wannabe.

xenoke
06-07-2012, 09:05 AM

So if I'm not mistaking Mark only CC has rights and we have to listen otherwise we get banned ?!?

Swingle007
06-07-2012, 09:06 AM
In before the lock. :-)

xenoke
06-07-2012, 09:07 AM
Answer the question mate I don't need your extra to it.

Ban me now.

You're an idiot thinking a online virtual ban will effect me bye bye.

Also Lifetime ban be great as your a nazi bavarian illuminati wannabe.

You would be a great Indian :cool:

Gaming Will
Lock and delete in 5 4 3...

Crime City Mark
Ban me now.

Okay, sure. Since you asked so politely.

Swifty
06-07-2012, 09:08 AM
@Fig Oni

Please reconsider. You have many friends on the forum that will greatly miss you.

Crime City Mark
06-07-2012, 09:09 AM
So if I'm not mistaking Mark only CC has rights and we have to listen otherwise we get banned ?!?

I don't have special rights. I have authority as the person who administrates the forums. You, as users of this free service has access. You also have policy that you are asked to abide by. Should you not abide by the policy it is within our purview to amend or revoke (temporarily or permanently) access to the service. You have rights as citizens of your respective countries that protect you from illegal activity, which isn't going on here.

499Rat
06-07-2012, 09:13 AM

Yes, this is correct. They are a private business and you are on their forums. You have no rights.

You are also playing their game, and the agreement that you didn't read and accepted says that they can refuse to serve you at their will as well.

Edit: Damnit...Mark stole my thunder.

Crime City Mark
06-07-2012, 09:13 AM
In before the lock. :-)

I miss the good old days of IBTL. No, I'm not locking this thread. I may split it into another thread about discussing what can and can't happen on the forums, since it seems like a lot of people are confused / mistaken. If people want to have a polite discussion about the state of the forums, that's cool. I'm down. If people want to freak out and rail about bans and why we haven't banned X person they hate or go on about their own bans, I'll kill the thread.

Dr BoneCrusher
06-07-2012, 09:14 AM
Let's all cool down a bit and let civility and maturity take over here.

Crime City Mark
06-07-2012, 09:16 AM
Let's all cool down a bit and let civility and maturity take over here.

Sounds like a really good plan to me.

Gaming Will
06-07-2012, 09:17 AM
And so are "The Days of our Lives".

Swingle007
06-07-2012, 09:20 AM
Polite thread about what is allowed to be discussed on the forums without fear of locks, deletes, or bans sounds like a great idea CCM. Wasn't sure if IBTL would be understood by all...lol guess now it'll be GTCBL (glad this can't be locked). :-)

Name changes, impersonations, etc can create serious in-game consequences for many of us. Hopefully CC devs and admins can recognize that and institute some penalties for those who try to manipulate the system to create havoc.

xenoke
06-07-2012, 09:22 AM
I don't have special rights. I have authority as the person who administrates the forums. You, as users of this free service has access. You also have policy that you are asked to abide by. Should you not abide by the policy it is within our purview to amend or revoke (temporarily or permanently) access to the service. You have rights as citizens of your respective countries that protect you from illegal activity, which isn't going on here.

In your last few msgs, it sure looked like you have a lot of rights or maybe you like the power nobody has in this game.....it has to stay normal....when you can't ask a question or the answer is "one more time and I'll ban your account" I looks like a Nazi move....:(

koralene
06-07-2012, 09:23 AM
Ahhh Fig :(

Crime City Mark
06-07-2012, 09:24 AM
So, go ahead. Ask away. I'll give you a basic primer:

Your rights:

Inalienable: Anything your government gives to protect you, as citizens.
Granted by us: Posting, viewing access.

Our rights:

Inalienable: Anything granted by the US Constitution.
Other: Complete ownership of the forums, all content on the forums, and all accounts on the forums.

Crime City Mark
06-07-2012, 09:27 AM
In your last few msgs, it sure looked like you have a lot of rights or maybe you like the power nobody has in this game.....it has to stay normal....when you can't ask a question or the answer is "one more time and I'll ban your account" I looks like a Nazi move....:(

Godwins Law. Don't play the Nazi card unless you've found evidence of me committing ethnic genocide, thanks. If someone makes a post in violation of our posting guidelines and I tell them that if they do it again they'll get a ban, that's a warning. That's me being nice instead of just straight away banning them for violating the rules.

You're welcome to ask me anything you want as long as it doesn't violate the posting guidelines. Since it seems like some people need a reminder, here is the stuff that is taboo (Pertinent ones in bold):

Advertise any product and / or service
Discuss locked threads or staff / moderator disciplinary actions
Discuss unreleased or Staging content that has not been posted or previewed
Engage in religious or political discussion
Flame, Troll, or otherwise be a nuisance
Go off topic
Hijack, Spam, or Necro a thread
Insult or deride any player or staff member
POST ALL IN CAPS
Post any content or engage in discussion about non-Funzio games
Post any form of nudity or sexual content
Post any form or racist or discriminatory content
Reveal your or anyone else's personal information
Swear or use any obscenities

koralene
06-07-2012, 09:33 AM
Mark half of those are done by so many players everyday. Don't you think we need a full time moderator to monitor the forum.

Joeycool
06-07-2012, 09:39 AM
You're welcome to ask me anything you want as long as it doesn't violate the posting guidelines.

Is there any chance of you spending a bit of time with us when you get a quieter day for an AMA?

That was the best thing that you have ever done on the forum.

Crime City Mark
06-07-2012, 10:10 AM
Name changes, impersonations, etc can create serious in-game consequences for many of us. Hopefully CC devs and admins can recognize that and institute some penalties for those who try to manipulate the system to create havoc.

Since we don't use a unique naming system we can't really give a player "ownership" of that name. If someone else wants to have the same name, that's their choice. If they use the name to harass people, that's a different issue and should be reported to staff.

Crime City Mark
06-07-2012, 10:11 AM
Mark half of those are done by so many players everyday. Don't you think we need a full time moderator to monitor the forum.

I do! Full-time might be a bit much, but we're working on some restructuring with the whole transition to Gree and that's giving us more resources, including forum stuff.

Max Power
06-07-2012, 10:27 AM
that's cool. I'm down.

OMG...It's Crime City Mark and the Funky Bunch!

Crime City Mark
06-07-2012, 10:28 AM
Is there any chance of you spending a bit of time with us when you get a quieter day for an AMA?

That was the best thing that you have ever done on the forum.

I'd like to at some point, but I'm not sure how much information there is left to share.

Max Power
06-07-2012, 10:29 AM
I'd like to at some point, but I'm not sure how much information there is left to share.

Anything is possible.

Dreno33
06-07-2012, 10:40 AM
Crime City Mark

See what you've done???

The more posting done by admins/community managers, the better! We need you guys to post more often. bring back the Fizzle to our forums. We need you all to post more. It truly does help and keep things nice in the forums.

Fredo
06-07-2012, 10:48 AM
Oh, it has been so long since I saw someone pull a Reductio ad Hitlerum. Guys, it's a private company and a private forum with no government or public action. The FOIA does not apply, nor are any constitutional rights implicated.

Dreno33
06-07-2012, 10:59 AM
You're welcome to ask me anything you want as long as it doesn't violate the posting guidelines.

Why was the MW "Best of the Best" Guides! I made deleted after L Fizzle stickied it?

499Rat
06-07-2012, 11:02 AM
I do! Full-time might be a bit much, but we're working on some restructuring with the whole transition to Gree and that's giving us more resources, including forum stuff.

That's good to hear. Moderation has IMO always been good. Community interaction has been spotty, and that's mainly because you are overworked. Fizzle's position was a good start, but it seemed as though she was not enough in the loop to be a good community manager.

Dreno33
06-07-2012, 11:05 AM
That's good to hear. Moderation has IMO always been good. Community interaction has been spotty, and that's mainly because you are overworked. Fizzle's position was a good start, but it seemed as though she was not enough in the loop to be a good community manager.

so which banned acct are you, former senior member? :P

Ramshutu
06-07-2012, 11:18 AM
What is the key sequence for performing a group hug on the Internet?

Gaming Will
06-07-2012, 11:21 AM

Hahaha!

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((8888888888)))))))))) )))))))))))))))))

Crime City Mark
06-07-2012, 11:33 AM
Why was the MW "Best of the Best" Guides! I made deleted after L Fizzle stickied it?

* Discuss locked threads or staff / moderator disciplinary actions

Works for deleted threads as well. You're welcome to send a PM.

Crime City Mark
06-07-2012, 11:36 AM

Don't discuss bans. I really don't want to be handing out more bans today.

QPR
06-07-2012, 11:48 AM

Don't think it's hatter this time round with his constant garbage

Crime City Mark
06-07-2012, 12:06 PM
Seriously? The post after my post about not posting about bans is a post about bans? Final warning.

QPR
06-07-2012, 12:08 PM
Seriously? The post after my post about not posting about bans is a post about bans? Final warning.

I didn't see your last reply until mine was already sent

Spartacus
06-07-2012, 12:09 PM

Okay, okay, okay. Change of subject. Is there any reason my Updated Best of the Best Guides thread has not been stickied yet? I have sent L Fizzle a PM but obviously she is not active ATM. Any feedback or hints would be appreciated.

Max Power
06-07-2012, 12:10 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/Mackiesback/BQcDAAAAAwoDanBnAAAABC5vdXQKFnp2bXh.jpg

koralene
06-07-2012, 12:29 PM
Thanks for answering Mark... i didn't mean to insinuate that you didn't do your job. I know what it is like to be overworked :p

Off topic... when is the next gold sale? lol :)

Crime City Mark
06-07-2012, 01:03 PM
Okay, okay, okay. Change of subject. Is there any reason my Updated Best of the Best Guides thread has not been stickied yet? I have sent L Fizzle a PM but obviously she is not active ATM. Any feedback or hints would be appreciated.

No particular reason. There isn't a specific set of criteria to get a thread stickied. Send me a link via PM and I'll take a look.

mnju_03
06-07-2012, 02:59 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/Mackiesback/BQcDAAAAAwoDanBnAAAABC5vdXQKFnp2bXh.jpg

Bump! Best forum picture... EVER.

Dreno33
06-07-2012, 03:48 PM

i, for one, bro fisted you

EDIT: no sexual reference intended, lol

Beardy
06-07-2012, 09:11 PM

But yet cheaters remain in the game.....

Dipstik
06-08-2012, 06:03 PM
So, go ahead. Ask away. I'll give you a basic primer:

Your rights:

Inalienable: Anything your government gives to protect you, as citizens.
Granted by us: Posting, viewing access.

Our rights:

Inalienable: Anything granted by the US Constitution.
Other: Complete ownership of the forums, all content on the forums, and all accounts on the forums.

Been waiting three days to reply to this. Inalienable rights do not come from government. What the government gives, the government can be take away. Take a look at the Declaration of Independence, which is clear where our inalienable rights come from.

That said, people who cite free speech rights on private forums should be mocked. That's ridiculous.

Crime City Mark
06-08-2012, 06:17 PM
Those rights are granted to you by the government, whether or not they decide to take credit or give it to a "Creator". If you want to get really specific, people only have the rights that they can take for themselves and defend for themselves, but that's a really bleak worldview. For all intents and purposes your government lays out your rights and you either agree to them, leave, become a politician, or become a criminal.

Dr BoneCrusher
06-08-2012, 06:41 PM
CCMark since you are the Government in Crime City you should take a look at the thread above this one. you Have Politicians, Criminals and people leaving. Use some of those rights and break it up!

Dipstik
06-08-2012, 10:18 PM
If you're going to adopt the terminology of natural law theory, you should understand it, mark. Words like "inalienable" shouldn't be tossed around haphazardly.

jobadass
06-09-2012, 02:51 PM
Wow...this was a great thread.
to stay OT Swifty.
I believe it is one if by land, two if by see