PDA

View Full Version : I'm not even excited anymore

Coco c
06-01-2012, 05:06 AM
The PVP tournament seems like a distant memory. We've waited so long for the Black Widow that I'm not even excited about it anymore and have stopped looking for it in my inventory.

PawnXIIX
06-01-2012, 05:13 AM
The PVP tournament seems like a distant memory. We've waited so long for the Black Widow that I'm not even excited about it anymore and have stopped looking for it in my inventory.

Seems like forever ago...

...oh wait it was :P

Rodimus
06-01-2012, 05:50 AM
I think it was merely a test for Gree shown by Funzio. Dangle a prize in front of us and we'll burn through our gold on stamina refills and turn out our pockets to get more for said prize.

Max Power
06-01-2012, 07:46 AM
Your lack of excitement makes me so sad. Completely ruins my weekend.

Ranier
06-01-2012, 09:05 AM

My lack of caring of how much of a non creative got u are just...well ur just a git

Ramshutu
06-01-2012, 09:11 AM

In real life, I actually own a tiny, tiny violin complete with tiny, tiny case that I always carry about my person just so I can bust it out in situations like this.

joaquim
06-01-2012, 11:03 AM
It turns out there's a bit of an issue with the way the prize works, and our engineers have been ironing things out on this end. Unfortunately that means I no longer have an ETA for when the prizes will ship.

As you can see, the prize for the winners won't be coming any time soon.

Dr BoneCrusher
06-01-2012, 11:10 AM
Issue with the way the prize works hmmmm? How many players have the Bankbuster? Does it "work"? How many players spent gold trying to get it?

Ramshutu
06-01-2012, 11:55 AM
Issue with the way the prize works hmmmm? How many players have the Bankbuster? Does it "work"? How many players spent gold trying to get it?

To paraphrase what was said on the other thread. The bankbuster, and other boost items are handled by "special" code, rather than the way every other items work.

It's typical with software engineering that you can make such a change for a boost weapon in a way that makes it very difficult to add another, you either have to bodge around it; which makes the problem even worst for the next item; or unpick the change and make it work properly, and flexibly.

This is not to say this is what has happened here, and there maybe something more subtle at work; but I have encountered such issues at least twice this week in my current job; sometimes it is just hit and miss how much impact such an issue has.

BOS
06-01-2012, 12:06 PM
Thanks Ramshutu, CC should "pay" you for explaining this.

Dr BoneCrusher
06-01-2012, 12:11 PM
@Ramshutu as in my real life Job I like to KISS problems. This talk about code is interesting but why can't they just go into our accounts and manually raise our attack and give us a clean gun with clean stats? 500 people this can't be that hard then go fix the code problem for next time?

Ramshutu
06-01-2012, 12:18 PM
@Ramshutu as in my real life Job I like to KISS problems. This talk about code is interesting but why can't they just go into our accounts and manually raise our attack and give us a clean gun with clean stats? 500 people this can't be that hard then go fix the code problem for next time?

I think they can add the gun without problems. I agree with you, I think it would be a good idea to add the gun now then add the boost later.

Sir Daniel
06-01-2012, 01:38 PM
For what it's worth, I have been a developer for 13 years, now moved on but here's my take on this.

Events, when successful with the 10th item we reliably get our reward on cue due to a trigger / event based claims model with the client details (our request) there to process for funzios servers to credit said account. Cool it works we like that.

The tournament is completely different, all of a suddenly funzio have to write some code which A) records each player that won (that requires storing extra data, e.g. The winners at that time and not just user names) Next B) to put it simply they need a process (another bit of code) to iterate though each winner to credit the database with the gun and attack points. C) they will want this to be reusable for future events and D) compatabile for sister apps, KA and MW etc.

Ideally this would have been specced out, coded and tested prior to the event. It appears (clearly) this was not the case. One of A, B, C or D above has gone wrong. No doubt the devs are on their back feet trying to sort it. I just hope it's not A) in that they have lost the ids/primary keys for each player (all they would have is a list of user names) where the process can't even accurately find who is who in the top 500.

Ultimately from one software engineer to another software engineering company this is a massive mess up, if I treated my financial services clients the same way funzio treated us I would be out of business fast. Just as well funzio is not writing code for mission critical systems. Poor show funzio, sort it out.

KhalDrogo
06-01-2012, 02:08 PM
"Ultimately from one software engineer to another software engineering company this is a massive mess up, if I treated my financial services clients the same way funzio treated us I would be out of business fast. Just as well funzio is not writing code for mission critical systems. Poor show funzio, sort it out."

Very well said Sir Daniel! I couldn't have expressed it any better. (well maybe if I tried ;))