PDA

View Full Version : casualty rate

femaiden
05-31-2012, 09:10 PM
i know this has probably been brought up many times as evidenced by the dozens upon dozens of reviews in the app store complaining about this....but the casualty rate IS WAY TOO FREAKING HIGH! i mean really, i lose a high priced unit just about every single fight even when i win! i just went in and i have 10 stamina points and these are actual results.

i found a player i could win against.
i attack
i win lost 1 catapult (450 gold)
i win again lose 1 catapult
i. win lose 1 catapult
i win..no losses, joy!
i win lose 2 catapults wtf!
i attack, player too weak , okay

i find another rival
i win lose 1 catapult
i win, no losses
i win, no losses
i win, no losses
i win lose 2 catapults.

so in 10 attacks i lost 8 catapults, 80% casualty rate when i won every fight! this is ludicrous considering the amount of gold you can steal is capped combined with the fact most players protect it so its impossible to make a profit!

catapults have a casualty rate of "medium" i dint know that translates to 80%!
meanwhile every unit has medium casualty rate or worse, every magic unit is "very high"

i even have the building to reduce the casualty rate and it doesnt do crap!

Hobtuse
05-31-2012, 09:32 PM
i know this has probably been brought up many times as evidenced by the dozens upon dozens of reviews in the app store complaining about this....but the casualty rate IS WAY TOO FREAKING HIGH! i mean really, i lose a high priced unit just about every single fight even when i win! i just went in and i have 10 stamina points and these are actual results.

i found a player i could win against.
i attack
i win lost 1 catapult (450 gold)
i win again lose 1 catapult
i. win lose 1 catapult
i win..no losses, joy!
i win lose 2 catapults wtf!
i attack, player too weak , okay

i find another rival
i win lose 1 catapult
i win, no losses
i win, no losses
i win, no losses
i win lose 2 catapults.

so in 10 attacks i lost 8 catapults, 80% casualty rate when i won every fight! this is ludicrous considering the amount of gold you can steal is capped combined with the fact most players protect it so its impossible to make a profit!

catapults have a casualty rate of "medium" i dint know that translates to 80%!
meanwhile every unit has medium casualty rate or worse, every magic unit is "very high"

i even have the building to reduce the casualty rate and it doesnt do crap!

80% isn't your casualty rate. At least get your maths correct.

Yes I do agree though that most attacks are not profitable.

femaiden
05-31-2012, 09:40 PM
80% isn't your casualty rate. At least get your maths correct.

Yes I do agree though that most attacks are not profitable. explain how my math is wrong. if i fight 10 fights and lose 8 units that averages to 8/10ths of a unit per fight or 80% wtf r tard

Freekizh
05-31-2012, 10:04 PM
explain how my math is wrong. if i fight 10 fights and lose 8 units that averages to 8/10ths of a unit per fight or 80% wtf r tard

Wooah chill pill :)

Casualty rate is = unit loss for that unit type / total number of units. Typically this is in the 1-3% range if you have 50-100 units.

You would typically expect unit losses of 1-3 per attack. So your 80% is the expected (or realized in this case) unit loss value, being 0.8 units per attack. In fact if the maths is to be correct, it would actually be much higher if you have large numbers, but I believe that unit losses are constrained to only 1-2 by the casualty algorithm. So your realized casualty rate ends up being a lot lower than the theoretical one.

As your armies get larger, you should expect losses from your most common types of units. Losses of 450-800 gold per attack is not so bad depending upon your pay-off, so you need to be selective.

custos
05-31-2012, 10:08 PM
explain how my math is wrong. if i fight 10 fights and lose 8 units that averages to 8/10ths of a unit per fight or 80% wtf r tard

:D That's funny. Yes 8/10ths is 80% but that is a meaningless number. It's like saying I ate 3 apples in 6 days, so 50% of my food is apples.

Your casualty rate is how many units you lose as a percentage of all units in each fight (on average). So if you have 200 units going into battle and you lose, on average, one unit each battle, your casualty rate is 1/200th or 0.5%.

If you're worried about losing units you should consider raiding rather than battles. Raid high-value buildings like silos, playhouses, upgraded leatherworks etc. You tend not to lose as many units and if you clean out a level 5 silo you net around 1200 gold anyway so losing a couple of units is no big deal. Also make sure your army has a bunch of lower level, cheaper units. That way you might lose them rather than your expensive stuff. I rarely see more than 2 or 3 units get killed in a battle (usually none or one) so if you have lots of cannon fodder in your army you might not lose as many expensive units. Finally, and I guess this is obvious, the bigger gap between you attack and your rival's defence the less chance of losing a unit. My attack is around 7K and I often see 2-4K rivals on my list. I can whale away on these guys all day and not lose a unit :)

Hobtuse
05-31-2012, 10:25 PM

you are obviously not the sharpest tool in the shed.

thanks custos and freekizh for the elaboration.

femaiden
06-01-2012, 05:57 AM
wow i cant believe all you people are flaming me a defending the developers.

firstly i didnt know that having more of a certain unit made you more likely to lose one.

all i know is that every 10 fights i lose 8 catapults...that is 80% of the time, i lose a catapult.
i can understand if its because i keep buying 50 catapults...but no other unit is able to generate the attack power i need to break peoples defenses.

also, i do know how to be selective but it takes ages to find someone with money or who hasnt already collected their big money buildings like silos.
the thing that irks me is that i think people are cheating somehow to protect their gold i will see someone with like 100,000 gold and only 1000 defense and i attack and win and get nothing and lose a catapult...its the same thing in modern war i see someone with 5,000,000 money and 500 defense and i attack and win and get nothing and lose a 66,000 or a 225,000 unit.

i will try to load up more on cheaper units amd see if that makes a difference

femaiden
06-01-2012, 05:59 AM
you are obviously not the sharpest tool in the shed.

thanks custos and freekizh for the elaboration.

i see so im stupid for not knowing the secret equation for how casualties are randomized and mot knowing that the more you have the more you lose

FisK
06-01-2012, 07:06 AM
Where are more to it then the number of units you have and the casualty rate state of the units.

My experience is you lose more units the closer your stats are to the one you are attacking/reading.
I usually lose 2 - 4 units if I attack some one with the same stats as myself.
I some times lose a unit if I attack some one with half my stats.
So far I have never lost a unit in a battle against someone with less then 1/3 of my stats.
My last 100 attacks was against players with less then 1/3 (many under 1/5) of my stats and I didn’t lose a single unit.

So check your rivals stats before attacking or raiding.

femaiden
06-01-2012, 10:19 AM
Where are more to it then the number of units you have and the casualty rate state of the units.

My experience is you lose more units the closer your stats are to the one you are attacking/reading.
I usually lose 2 - 4 units if I attack some one with the same stats as myself.
I some times lose a unit if I attack some one with half my stats.
So far I have never lost a unit in a battle against someone with less then 1/3 of my stats.
My last 100 attacks was against players with less then 1/3 (many under 1/5) of my stats and I didn’t lose a single unit.

So check your rivals stats before attacking or raiding.

well..i mean i do get it now..i understand the law of averages. and yeah i usually attack rivals between 1200 and 1400 dfnse to my 1500 attack so i guess thats raising my rate as well. its still very frustrating when your winning every fight but unable to pay for the units you lose so you never get ahead..i am getting honor points but im afraid to spend those because my honr units keep dying too.

The_Red
06-01-2012, 10:24 AM
I attack people all the time with 1/2 the A/D that I have and still
lose "low" casualty units. Particularly, manicores seem to really suck.

In low levels - you're really best off just buying as many battering rams as you can.
At one point I had 800 of them. When you lose a 110 dollar unit its still worth the
battle. Later - when you lose a 750/1000 unit... it makes PVP a little harder.

Freekizh
06-01-2012, 10:36 AM
wow i cant believe all you people are flaming me

Don't worry femaiden..there are people who have played this for months and months and still don't know how it works! This continues to surprise me.

You have form your own theory, and put it into practice. There are people here who think they know how it works, but don't. Trust me on this - I see these threads all the time, and not all the "tips" are correct. Commonly accepted truths on these forums is sometimes very wrong.

You need to work this out yourself.

Hapl0
06-01-2012, 11:27 AM
Maybe you are right Freekizh, if all play the same style it will be boring.

Freekizh
06-01-2012, 11:31 AM
Maybe you are right Freekizh, if all play the same style it will be boring.

This is a technical issue and not a matter of style. Therefore you are either right or wrong.

This is why I rarely ever give out advice on how to build your army.

Hapl0
06-01-2012, 11:33 AM
Again maybe you are right ;)

Freekizh
06-01-2012, 11:36 AM
Again maybe you are right ;)

Hehe ..what does the word "maybe" mean. No comprehendo amigo :)

Hapl0
06-01-2012, 01:58 PM
"Nada malo compadre" ;) Not mean at all, btw nice avatar.

MSH
06-01-2012, 02:26 PM
There is a key factor here no one seemed to mention so far - h points. one might get a few regular units lost in a successful attack, but the h points would keep accumulating. With h points based units, such as cannons being much better, than virtually anything regular, a few catapults lost in a successful attack dont matter that much...