PDA

View Full Version : Psychology of the Wall

Thunder Child
05-30-2012, 05:47 AM
Interested in some serious discussion on the role of the Wall and posts on our own walls and those of our rivals. Personally, I think the wall is an underestimated tool in the game and I am beginning to believe that a bit of basic psychology might be of tactical advantage. For instance, are you more or less likely to attack a rival when you notice that various Pirates have already hit that rival and left their scribble on your potential victim's wall? Personally, it tells me I have a safe target. Conversely, the wall might hint that out potential victim might be under the protection of said Pirates, and we might move on.Then what about the situation when you find nothing but 'add me' codes? Do we think the rival has no support and little strength, so launch a merciless assault. And what when we find a chatty wall where half a dozen mates have left all sorts of constructive comments and suggestions for each other? Do we think this rival might know what he is doing, or that he might get his mates to help him, so we err on the side of caution and move on?Or does the wall have no bearing on your decision to attack at all?

mickymacirl
05-30-2012, 05:57 AM
Generally, wall posts are a 3rd or 4th thought, usually its un-vaulted money, then its fights won or lost and stats, in my case anyways.

I will check someones wall ALWAYS, every time without fall as I've attacked the wrong people by mistake a few times and lived to regret it!

People with posts from known forums allies, for instance, I tend to leave alone, or people I've already hit in the last 2 hours or so!

Wall is a good gauge of what the person is like!

Hassleham
05-30-2012, 06:08 AM
The wall is irrelevant to me, it's all about how much unprotected cash they have haha.

Bronson
05-30-2012, 06:23 AM
The wall is kind of irrelevant to me at the moment but at the high end it could be useful! My first thoughts when hunting a target is allies and country. I like low allies and preferably USA or Iran flags as its easier to work out their true defence score. After that check their raw dee look what level the boosts are then either walk away or smack that b!tch up.

Thunder Child
05-30-2012, 06:29 AM
I've obviously spent way too long starting at way too many walls! Yes, hit low allies and Iran/US flags first, BUT after that, any wall that is filled with 'add me' messages and no chat is ripe!

Jhoemel
05-30-2012, 06:30 AM
I first look at the stats and look at their wall and see if they are a pirate, if not its history :)

Thunder Child
05-30-2012, 06:33 AM
The wall is kind of irrelevant to me at the moment but at the high end it could be useful! My first thoughts when hunting a target is allies and country. I like low allies and preferably USA or Iran flags as its easier to work out their true defence score. After that check their raw dee look what level the boosts are then either walk away or smack that b!tch up.That last comment saved you! A hint of the old Bron!

Aidan
05-30-2012, 06:34 AM
Wall is nt rlly important in the lower levels. Friendship,allies rarely are made at this lvls. Money n A/D r wht matters.
In the higher lvls however, plyrs have to start checking on this. You dont want to step onto the wrong toe. Some powerful alliance have been established here. Friendship and pacts are much stronger at this point.

JohnnyR
05-30-2012, 06:34 AM
When I used to add allies by the dozen I'd look at the wall for numbers. If there a good amount to raid I'd empty my stamina and then hit the wall for numbers till stamina went back up and go at it again on their buildings. This is why I erased the numbers on my wall, lol.

Thunder Child
05-30-2012, 06:42 AM
@ Aidan

Totally agree. Seen a few today who are not Pirates but who are clearly close. Made me think quite a bit, and to be honest I found myself wanting to hit them less than the lone cowboys out there who go about their own business in their own way. Hence the psychology involved - on the whole the loner represents an easier target, sadly, than the pack animal.

Maverick50727
05-30-2012, 07:28 AM
I'm the Lone Ranger and can't ride in any pack for now, but definitely not an easy target for most.

I use the walls mostly these days to:
1.) Identify clans/Pirates - I stay away from the Pirates for now (I may revist this later once stronger. I've hit a few of the lower stats pirates by mistake before, but they are quick to come back with the warning hand of revenge by the entire Pirate Nation.)
2.) Communicate with some forum members that pass through visiting like yourself.
3.) Offer assistance to those who need or ask. Often I point them to the forum and ask them to PM me there if they have further questions.
4.) Congrats to people for catching me unvaulted or raids if equal stats.
5.) Post Warnings on other people walls against repeatedly agressions. I never use bad language or lose my temper. It is a game and I expect to get attacked. If I analyze someone and I know I can take them easy if increasing ally count or in near future, I'll ask them nicely to stop. I normally let 3-5 attack/raid waves over a few days go unchallenged. I've been known to call out a few pests and have some fun in the past when I was running a real low ally count. Hard to do these days when people attacking me are normally 5X stronger than me in whale territory.

Early on I used walls to find codes to add allies (reduce possible threasts). I never post my code on other people walls myself and never posted it on mine until I needed to add 400+ back after testing low ally counts in the past.

Jp lfs
05-30-2012, 09:00 AM
@JohnnyR, TC, Aidan, ShawnBB, Maverick, Sugaymama, McDoc, Micky, and anyone else I may have forgotten over Lvl 100...

Personally, I check for bullies first. People who have multiple messages asking them to stop, and them taunting back. I unload a full clip on these guys, because they're not used to losing. Even if I lose a few units in the process. I have tasted humility many times in this game, and it always made me a better player after I painfully choked it down.

I check for comments from people I know. Friend of my friend...?

I look out for pirates. That's just common sense. Maybe survival instinct would be a better term?

We'll never hold a candle to the pirates, but I do enjoy having high level forum allies, who (I think) have my back. And I hope you all know I've got yours.

I actually owe Aidan, Shawn, and Johnny some big favors right now. Feel free to cash in whenever you guys want.

And I agree with TC, the Lone Wolf types, unfortunately, seem like the best targets. But I never go all out on someone like that. Farm them once, or complete a Valor goal, but that's all.

And in the lower levels, a quick stat check is all you need to do. Even up into the 70-s and 80-s, people usually aren't using their boost potential.

That's just my opinion, though. Y'all can do whatever the %$^# you want!!

spectra
05-30-2012, 09:48 AM
At lv-126 what I check first is their atk/def, I have seen some that only have between 4k and 9k of both, that telsl me HIT, HIT, HIT, basically ayone one here with less than 25k is just "meat" for the taken, (Sad but true) when I get hit by someone, If I loose, I check their stats/wall, if out of my reach, I just congrat them, if they lost, I ask if it was by error, if they do not reply, I hit them and suggest they should check stats before attacking

Poopenshire
05-30-2012, 10:18 AM
At lv-126 what I check first is their atk/def, I have seen some that only have between 4k and 9k of both, that telsl me HIT, HIT, HIT, basically ayone one here with less than 25k is just "meat" for the taken, (Sad but true) when I get hit by someone, If I loose, I check their stats/wall, if out of my reach, I just congrat them, if they lost, I ask if it was by error, if they do not reply, I hit them and suggest they should check stats before attacking

I am beginning to think by your level spectra that anyone under 50K def is for the taking out. atleast that is how i am preparing myself for those levels.

Q Raider
05-30-2012, 10:20 AM
Never looked at the wall before deciding to attack or not.. Mine has had some "interesting" posts put on it relating to my personal attributes and work ethic based on this game so to this point of the game I haven't considered it as a useable tool.

I am intrigued by approaching levels where alliances, pirates, mega players and such do have a bearing on the game.

My nature is very like the little guy in my avatar so I have actually changed my high end game plan based on the info you guys up there have been giving on the forums.

I expect I am going to run afoul of some allied groups soon and there will be some wallopings coming my way. So be it. My philosophy is pretty simple in this regard. I cannot be taken out of the game no matter how badly I get hit.

Depending on how I feel the allied group has conducted themselves in a concerted attack I have several strategies to consider. My current favorite would be a weakest link one where I would drop allies to a point where I have indestructibles in play, build up a large attack strength underneath that, drop ten gold onto the VIP register which should get enough responses to put me in a position of overpowering my chosen weakest link, go in and take his base apart, then drop the ally count back to the indestructibles level and watch the fun....repeat as necessary to put the point across that at the end of the day, nobody can truly control the nature of this game....which is why I enjoy it so much.

Poopenshire
05-30-2012, 10:26 AM
My current favorite would be a weakest link one where I would drop allies to a point where I have indestructibles in play,

I think this is difficult with the current inventory system. I know I cannot for the life of me remember every single indestructable i have. I would have to guess at the level i would need to drop to for this to even work. Now if they changed the inventory to a searchable type or a way to isolate out the indestructables, then I would say this has a greater chance of success, or atleast not be a several day affiar.

Q Raider
05-30-2012, 10:49 AM
I think this is difficult with the current inventory system. I know I cannot for the life of me remember every single indestructable i have. I would have to guess at the level i would need to drop to for this to even work. Now if they changed the inventory to a searchable type or a way to isolate out the indestructables, then I would say this has a greater chance of success, or atleast not be a several day affiar.

Excel is your friend Poopenshire.....I know what I will be left with should "Armageddon" eventuate...

I have two options, one involves being prepared to sacrifice every Valor unit I currently have in play which are the only units which exceed the main body of my indestructibles and then restocking for the "campaign". The second is to buy a few Gold items (or get a few more event ones) that are higher stats than my Valor units and have them protected. It would take time however I worked out I could put an attack force in excess of 70k in play doing this which I think would be enough to take out a weak link or two...

This may not come to pass as I will actually try to take the time to read the feeds from now as you guys have stated it is good strategy within the game at the higher levels but it is always good to have an alternate option up your sleeve....

spectra
05-30-2012, 11:19 AM
I am beginning to think by your level spectra that anyone under 50K def is for the taking out. atleast that is how i am preparing myself for those levels.

Pretty much
sometimes I get hit left and right all day long, sometimes is not so bad, and sometimes I feel invisible
but here, It seem there is a 50-50 split that are 4k-30k and 31k-80k range and leves I can see are 111-140, it seem Funzio has fixed the rival list issue