PDA

View Full Version : Camo Pack / Spy Plans Rant... What's up?

Lt. Colvin
05-29-2012, 12:49 PM
Okay, so I have to admit I am sure I am like many people who love this game... Work at home professional who take the occasional time out to play Modern War... Yes, Iam slightly addicted to this game. I am a marketing professional, and very much a numbers guy. When the latest weekly contest was announced to open the camp packs and work toward the final prize I decided like many to work for the prize... A Super Heavy weapon that would result in a 30% increase in cash from missions. Very cool reward, and I have worked toward others with the same drive. Now, I do not have hundreds of packs like some do, but I currently have 40 and have opened about 30 or so over the last week.

I am currently at 8 spy plans out of 10 needed for the prize and I have to say I am frustrated. As with with other promotions, I have noticed that out of about 3 to 4 camo pack opens (sometimes less) I get a set of plans. As I hit 8, this number seems to have increased substantially. I have purchased gold to increase my odds of getting the prize, but notice that in the last 7 opens... No plans. What gives? It is like a tease to let us get so close, then change the odds of getting plans to a much higher number of opens. I realize that Funzio is a business, but the odds of opening a pack with plans should remain consistent with the entire game. Is it me, or have others noticed this too? With just being 1 or 2 away from wining the weekly prize, I suspect many buy gold... Then more fold... Then more gold to get the last one or two needed to get the final prize. However, it seems the odds of actually getting the prize are skewed a lot in the last 1-2 opens.

I am annoyed by this and I am sure I will keep playing the game, but it is frustrating that I feel that the company intentionally does this to drive sales to gold... Especially as I happen to note that there is often a gold sale that happens to occurs about the same time....

I am not new to the game, but new to the forums... Thoughts anyone?

War Priest
05-29-2012, 12:52 PM
The more goal items you get, the less chance you have at finding another. It is a luck based contest.

Arj
05-29-2012, 01:16 PM
It can be fustrating, resulting is many posts like this on here, i do feel your pain since ive gone 8 8 9 and am on 9 now for about 55attempts over the last 3-4days.
But i would say that the sooner you try to accept that these events are just one form of getting industrable units and its all about luck the better. Dont bother consuming yourself in opening boxes, its just not worth it and you will win if its meant to happen. Open them when you can, and enjoy the units you do get.

This does leave the problem that you still want a nice unit like the final prize of this event, fortunatly there are new ways opening up (pvp tourny for one) that you can have more control over your outcomes. Also there are more effective ways of using gold, and if you are buying gold then items such as crates(the current ones arent great but still not bad for the 3pack) can give you your answer.

Theres been alot of advice on how to use gold effectively also if you are going for the final item, check the forums for these and if you cant find them drop me a message.

scorcher117
05-29-2012, 02:07 PM
What I don't get Is you say you were resorting to spending gold did you just reset timer or actually get crowbars cause resetting the timer seems like a waste of gold so if you bought crowbars you should be fine?

Copenhagen
05-29-2012, 03:37 PM
There has been debate over the diminishing odds of getting an "item" in the open of a crate. Some have stated it gets more difficult by day, while others by # items already obtained. My buddy had let his update sit idle through the entire event and just loaded it, found his first crate and received a plan. This suggest that the item drop rate is individual based, with the degree of difficulty increasing with number of items already obtained versus days into the event. Although both could be a possibility of the formula. I am also convinced that fewer crates on hand increases odds, which is counter to Fuinzios drive to get players to level up more rapidly.

Taranis73
05-29-2012, 04:06 PM
I leveled up to 90 and next box opened was a plan.

Bronco928
05-29-2012, 08:23 PM
I am not new to the game, but new to the forums... Thoughts anyone?

First, accept the contest for what it is, a free opportunity to win a cool looking and powerful ground unit, with a nice 30% cash increase to PVE missions. Know that the odds of getting the next spy plan or whatever, diminish as you increase in numbers and it seems to get more difficult the last day. Know that using gold ONLY guarantees the pack will open; there are no gauarantees it will be a spy plan. With that in mind, I have found the best way to use the gold it to use it earlier than later; you have a better chance of getting a spy plan today, than tomorrow, in my opinion. I've gotten all 10 on 4 out of 6 contests, so I have to be doing something right. Think positive and envision getting the spy plan when it opens. It works for me!!

GhostShot
05-29-2012, 08:32 PM
what I want to know is what kind of a backpack doesn't open using your bare hands, much less a knife? a crowbar to open a pack? the hell?

if it's a pack, can't we just feel around with our hands and guess which pack has plans in it instead of a vehicle or a human being (getting defensive cannons and ghost hands lately)? putting such items inside crates and boxes is one thing, but shoving a human being inside a pack seems... odd and dehumanizing.

stricker
05-29-2012, 08:34 PM
I am also convinced that fewer crates on hand increases odds, which is counter to Fuinzios drive to get players to level up more rapidly.
...i'm going to disagree on both of these accounts Cope.

i've been trying not to level up during this event and didn't participate in the PVP event... i had some 20-something pack yesterday and opened them all w/o getting a single plan... my xp has been just a hit or two away from the next lvl and attacks against me have been making me creep ever closer... now with no packs... i MUST do pve or pvp to get more, so i've been forced to level up if i want to continue to participate in the camo pack event...

stricker
05-29-2012, 08:37 PM
Think positive and envision getting the spy plan when it opens. It works for me!!

Norman Vincent Bronco Peale!!!
hmmmm...

Lt. Colvin
05-29-2012, 09:15 PM
Some great insights, but still it is hard to not wonder... I have given up on using gold bars to open packs and just paying.... Cash is easy enough to earn. I am two away from the prize, so we will see if I make it. It is nice to see that some actually get there, just annoying that the plans are harder to come by with higher numbers.

BadBoyz
05-29-2012, 09:17 PM
Wish Funzio would let us give away our cammo packs, since this recent PVP event, I have 387 packs. No way will I ever open all of these packs by the end of this event. I have 9 out of 10 and I hope I get 10 by the end of this event. Wish me luck everyone!!!

Ryans67
05-29-2012, 09:29 PM
I started using gold this AM, and I had 160 gold left. I got the tenth plan with the ninth gold open. I elected to use gold early this time, because resets are a waste unless it's the very end. Also, last event I finished with 8 parts. I left the game up, and got the 9th part the next day. I planned on leaving it open and opening the last 120 packs i had. Then the app crashed during pve.

siL
05-29-2012, 10:44 PM
what we all have to really think about these events in my opinion are :
1. its a great chance for us to get fabulous indestructible units with good stats FREE!!of course you that have gone with gold, have your share of fault, because it's your decision to use gold, and when it didn't work, if you rant, it would be ridiculous because its your own free will that makes you open the crates with gold, nobody forces you to spend gold on it, did it??
2. IF we dont get the 10th item, don't rant, we all know this is a luck-based-events, and if you are lucky, you'll get it! if not, then its already a great thing that Funzio held this kind of events, because with 7/8/9 plans, you have already additional 3-4 indestructible units for your army right?
3. we could all have our conspiracy theory about the probability of winning the plans/docs/etc, but I shall tell you my experience as a guy who have won 3 of the ultimate prize with all cash opens, its completely random!! I have once get the 8th and 9th back to back..I have also get the 9th and 10th back to back...and for this current event, I got stuck at 8th for 3 days before I get the 9th, and now pursuing the 10th..
4. I completely agree with Bronco, positivity is what we need guys...we need to be positive, and I'm not ashamed to tell you all that I have also imagine the warheads/propellors/plans/etc right after I press the middle option, and in my case, IF you imagine it hard enough, it will appear just like magic...LOL!!
5. It's just a game, so please please as a clever human beings, don't rant about backpacks that have to be open with crowbar, or bare handed or knives...IT's a GAME!! they could do anything out of ordinary, because its a GAME!! why do we have to debate about petty things like that, and yet call it inhumane??
6. IF we all get the 10th item so easily, as all of us would like it, what's the point of having any events at all?? what's the incentive for us players to compete in getting the 10th? Isn't the frustration, the lack of sleep, the awaking due to alarm is the thing that makes it exciting?? I really thought so...even my wife now seems to agree that this is quite interesting, after I gave my iphone to her so that she could open the crates with wifi..

I have made my army basically from events like these...where some gold players in my level would salute my army and said that it's stronger than their gold ones...of course they probably chit chatting and being humble to ask me to join alliance, but it's true... I really appreciate Funzio for having these events, and thus makes me more addicted to the game!

IF you are persistent enough, work hard enough, lucky enough, and smart enough, you'll surely appreciate and then succeed in these events...

Cheers!!

Chameleon
05-30-2012, 05:12 AM
I really don't think luck has much to do with it. I'm sure the chances are very skewed, I managed to get 9 plans really quickly and had almost 6 full days of opening to get the 10th. Not a sniff, nara, nothing, bugger all. I'm sure it is in no way random. I must have opened almost 100 packs and no more plans. Random, my bum.
It does smack of a cynical money making ploy: dangle a nice juice carrot juuuuuust out of reach and watch em scramble to get it.

:marine:
05-30-2012, 05:23 AM
I have been on 8 for 4 stupid days

Chameleon
05-31-2012, 06:15 AM
Well that was a waste of time. Almost 6 days on 9 and not one single plan after that :(

cheiz
05-31-2012, 06:59 AM
...i'm going to disagree on both of these accounts Cope.

i've been trying not to level up during this event and didn't participate in the PVP event... i had some 20-something pack yesterday and opened them all w/o getting a single plan... my xp has been just a hit or two away from the next lvl and attacks against me have been making me creep ever closer... now with no packs... i MUST do pve or pvp to get more, so i've been forced to level up if i want to continue to participate in the camo pack event...

Sounds rigged doesn't it... but I tend to agree with you Strick. The only time I got my 10th was just after leveling up.

FromAfar
05-31-2012, 07:07 AM
Most interesting would be something to end the speculation of "what's happening?"

I doubt it would be release, but it would be interesting to see the formula(s) used, and the factors involved to understand what plays in.

current level (lvl 30 vs 95) - does this actually effect anything?
performance in event. num of objects collected. (later objects seem harder, but what are the actual percentages)
open rates for free/cash selection - in %
selection of prizes if after open - event object / cash / other units / free allie (add a decline button on the free allie please! :) )
other variables

oh well, having done something like this in a project, professional curiosity kicks in when i see folks pondering.

and remember, the real object of these events, from Funzio's perspective, and the game in general is this: getting you to buy gold for cash money. maybe you have a few good units, but you level up and allie up. now the big(ger) fish see you. you have a few solid units, but lack depth. your a target. but if you open a gold crate, or use gold to buy units...

it's still not a bad game for the prices.

Sgt Russ
05-31-2012, 07:10 AM
I feel the EXACT same way. With in the first 2 days of the event I had received 8 plans without buying any gold. The last three days (and I had amassed around 100 camo packs), I bought about 450 gold bars to utilize the crowbars for 100% opening certainty, and in the last 3 days of the event I did not receive 1 more set of plans. Not 1. Very frustrating to sit on 8 plans for 3 days.

Sgt Russ
05-31-2012, 07:25 AM
If its luck like you say, then it doesn't make sense that the more plans you get the harder it is to get them. That sounds odds driven. I had the EXACT same issues as this player. Stuck on 8 sets of plans for three days!!! If I got another armored charger or 500 valor I was going to punch myself in the face!!! NO Way can you play for 3 days and NOT get even 1 more set of plans after getting 8 in the first 2 days!