PDA

View Full Version : Which way do you guys prefer to expand? Explain

sexkitteh
05-23-2012, 08:44 AM
I've been meaning to ask and was reminded by the other expansion question.

Which way do you guys like to expand?

I expanded Southeast till I crossed the first road and expanded 1 more from there (so I got 6blocks past the first road) and then I plan on expanding Southwest till I get to the road on that side and then stick to Southeast expansions. Seems to make the most logical sense to me.

Are there strategies to this?

Robin Hood
05-23-2012, 08:47 AM
I alternate every expansion. Seems to to make the most sense mathematically, even with the roads.

joaquim
05-23-2012, 08:48 AM
You forgot the option where you switch directions every time you expand so I just put I don't care.

BOS
05-23-2012, 08:53 AM
I alternate every expansion. Seems to to make the most sense mathematically, even with the roads.

+1 Not too bad for a KY boy.

Mig
05-23-2012, 09:08 AM
You should alternate your expansion generally, but it doesn't matter if you don't alternate every single time. For example, I needed some more space so I expanded in the same direction as last time because if I went the other way I would only have gone from 2 squares to 6 across the West road, which doesn't allow me to build any 8x8 buildings there, whereas I now have gone from 10 to 14 across the South road and I hade more room for 8x8's.

Max Power
05-23-2012, 09:15 AM
I try to expand the direction least likely to get me road.

Dorian Gray
05-23-2012, 09:20 AM
I'm at the limit to the left and my next one on the right is $25 mill. I went all the way out to the left because of less roads to deal with. Now when I go right I can look forward to getting a lot of space with each new expansion.

sexkitteh
05-23-2012, 01:57 PM
The way I saw it was it was cheapest to expand southwest till you hit the first road (which I haven't yet) and then expand south east because the more "expensive" expansions would actually open up much more space...

make sense?

Is it worth expanding past the 1st road southwest?

sexkitteh
05-23-2012, 01:58 PM
I'm at the limit to the left and my next one on the right is $25 mill. I went all the way out to the left because of less roads to deal with. Now when I go right I can look forward to getting a lot of space with each new expansion.

What's the limit?!?!?! I didn't realize there was a limit...

I thought it was a never ending expansion...

Also I noticed the roads don't actually take up any expansion space... you always get 4 squares...

How many roads are there going southwest?

Dorian Gray
05-23-2012, 02:02 PM

Also I noticed the roads don't actually take up any expansion space... you always get 4 squares...

You can expand 32 squares to the left of the street. 30 squares you can build on and 2 sidewalk squares.

Dorian Gray
05-23-2012, 02:06 PM

How many roads are there going southwest?

And yeah you get the four squares, just have to keep in mind two are on one side of the street and two on the other. It can really throw off your plans if you don't realize the street is going to pop up.

Max Power
05-23-2012, 02:07 PM

You always get your 4 squares, but often 2 squares on each side of the road don't fit into your plans.

Expanding in a way to avoid roads has one caveat. At some point, you will run into a road regardless which direction you want to go. That's always a bummer.

Dreno33
05-23-2012, 11:45 PM
well b/c I'm still a low level. I just went right mainly and crossed the road once with one extra expansion (6 squares across the street) now I'm going to expand west for awhile b/c... well. I want to(: never really did on old acct, going to on this one though!

dudeman
05-24-2012, 12:12 AM
I alternated the first few expansions to maximize the amount of real estate gained per expansion. Then I focused on expanding to the right for several expansions because there are more roads in that direction. I know that sounds backwards since most people try to avoid roads. My reason is pretty simple. Each expansion costs more than the last so I decided to do road expansions with the cheaper/earlier expansions. Now that I don't have to worry about roads for a while, I plan to expand as far left as possible. According to Dorian that's 30 squares, and I have 10, so that's another 5 expansions. Once I go as far left as I can I will have to expand to the right again, and since I already have that road I will have another 3 expansions in that direction before I hit another road. My next 8 expansions are guaranteed to be road-free.

My next expansion is $15M and assuming the cost of expansions continues to increase by $5M each time, that's $260,000,000 of expansions that I can do and never have to worry about a road because I planned for roads back when I was doing early expansions that I didn't need. If only that would save me some cash too. Lol.

ShawnBB
05-24-2012, 12:46 AM
I alternated the first few expansions to maximize the amount of real estate gained per expansion. Then I focused on expanding to the right for several expansions because there are more roads in that direction. I know that sounds backwards since most people try to avoid roads. My reason is pretty simple. Each expansion costs more than the last so I decided to do road expansions with the cheaper/earlier expansions. Now that I don't have to worry about roads for a while, I plan to expand as far left as possible. According to Dorian that's 30 squares, and I have 10, so that's another 5 expansions. Once I go as far left as I can I will have to expand to the right again, and since I already have that road I will have another 3 expansions in that direction before I hit another road. My next 8 expansions are guaranteed to be road-free.

My next expansion is $15M and assuming the cost of expansions continues to increase by $5M each time, that's $260,000,000 of expansions that I can do and never have to worry about a road because I planned for roads back when I was doing early expansions that I didn't need. If only that would save me some cash too. Lol.

Lmao, what a self deceive.

You sacrificed early game's Econ on expanding while someone sacrificed late games Econ on expanding.

The proportion of the cost to your IpH is the same,man. There is no cheap early expansion. You have to compare relatively.
On the contraray, early game is the major time that you are suffering from space tension. Therefore your way of expansion that gives less actual useful space is actually the worst type of expansion.

The reason people avoid road expansion and make maximum useful space is that they can have a better Econ by investing money back into building instead of in this non profitable road. In this way, they can start snowballing their IpH much faster.

What you are doing is hurting your present and save for the future,while putting the sell bottom building into consideration there is absolutely no need to benifit from your road free expansions in the later future.

Check tramp stamp's base expansion(I'm doing the same right now), you simply don't need the 10m+ expansion if you do 10 square after road on the west and 14 square after road on the east.

dudeman
05-24-2012, 01:21 AM
Lmao, what a self deceive.

You sacrificed early game's Econ on expanding while someone sacrificed late games Econ on expanding.

The proportion of the cost to your IpH is the same,man. There is no cheap early expansion. You have to compare relatively.
On the contraray, early game is the major time that you are suffering from space tension. Therefore your way of expansion that gives less actual useful space is actually the worst type of expansion.

The reason people avoid road expansion and make maximum useful space is that they can have a better Econ by investing money back into building instead of in this non profitable road. In this way, they can start snowballing their IpH much faster.

What you are doing is hurting your present and save for the future,while putting the sell bottom building into consideration there is absolutely no need to benifit from your road free expansions in the later future.

I have never needed to choose between expand or sell. With 12/24/48 there is more than enough space, the only need to expand is for more defense buildings. The reason I like having extra space and not dealing with roads is my own, so I deceived myself about nothing.

I don't want to do expansions that give me f all space to work with, and that's what happens when you hit road. Once I get to expanding my hood, I can also start re arranging it and I don't want to save for expansions over upgrades if the expansion will be no good to work with.

Max Power
05-24-2012, 04:50 AM
I think self decieve is perhaps the wrong terminology, but by trying to do all your road expansions cheaper, that merely means your useful expansions will be more expensive. Regardless of the usefullness of an expansion, to get to an overall size is a fixed cost.

So rather the self deceive, lets just say spending less for road expansions made you feel a little better about it.

Robin Hood
05-24-2012, 05:48 AM
+1 Not too bad for a KY boy.

HA! I somehow managed to get a math degree at Centre College up the road in Danville and now I'm putting it to good use on iPhone game strategy!