PDA

View Full Version : The Psychology of Crime City

G Wiz
05-17-2012, 12:23 PM
Is it not fascinating that we can love a game so much to the point that we start to gain an identity from it? We play day in and day out-- robbing, attacking, chatting, investing, reaping. We marvel at those with booming economies and high attack and defense points -- that is if we know them, yet snarl and label others as cheaters whom we do not know.

Indeed the atmosphere of Crime city has shifted. What used to be a light-hearted game made to complete missions, attack rivals and rob buildings has become a deeply scrutinized arena of technical investing, methodical purchases and hypersensitivity to the sudden changes made by "the other side". So it begs the question we must ask ourselves; what are we really playing for? Some have spent grueling hours farming weapons, camping for weeks or months on end despite the lack of fun, yet still we continue on...

What becomes increasingly ironic is the title of this game, Crime City. Here on the forums we thrive on respect and honorablility, yet scourn at those who play by another, more devious, set of rules. Doesn't thought create action? In a world of crime is it not expected that rules are made to be broken?

Where do you lie in all of this polarity?

Burn
05-17-2012, 12:33 PM
Major Payne says it best....

http://youtu.be/cXDsoM2QYqQ

koralene
05-17-2012, 12:36 PM
i play as the way i am in life... with integrity and morals. I am nice to most but if you cross me... i can be ruthless.

Swifty
05-17-2012, 12:39 PM
I think I got fouled.

Ghost818
05-17-2012, 12:44 PM
It may be crime city, but there are unwritten rules and laws in organized crime/mafia too that they have to follow or how they say it, you will get wacked.

G Wiz
05-17-2012, 12:48 PM
I know one of those unwritten rules has got to be: Respect lost on the forum is often hard to get back.

Nudie
05-17-2012, 12:53 PM
I think I got fouled.

I think she meant fowl.

koralene
05-17-2012, 01:00 PM
I think she meant fowl.

lol... thats me sweetie

Sasha54
05-17-2012, 01:03 PM
I don't think that I play the game as I act in real life - because I don't rob or kill in RL - :cool:

But the fact that I am part of the forum makes a big difference because you have the added complexity of the interaction with others - and I tend to decide that I want some of those individuals to "like" me or be my in-game friends where as without the forum I wouldn't care. And on the other hand - I also make judgements about some people based on their comments as we all do.

I think it would be a very different game for me if I wasn't part of the forum........

Nicholost
05-17-2012, 01:07 PM
I agree with that Sasha character. I don't know her in RL, but her forum personality seems pretty rad. Plus, I agree with what she just said.

Sasha54
05-17-2012, 01:16 PM
I agree with that Sasha character. I don't know her in RL, but her forum personality seems pretty rad. Plus, I agree with what she just said.

Ahhh - are we BFF's now......;)

Burn
05-17-2012, 01:27 PM
What fascinates me is that this game, more than any other I have played, is an accurate representation of life in as much as you can regularly see peoples morality laid bare. Obviously the Forum is a big part of that.

Don't think for a minute if someone is a rat or a cheat in this game, that they are really likely to be that much different in real life.

Good people are good people. Rats are rats. The trick is separating the real good people from those masquerading as good people in order to fulfil their own personal agenda.

This is true in a peer group, in the workplace, in a real world social group, and even in a game, particularly one like CC where the interpersonal relationships are such an intrinsic part of the games fibre.

sexkitteh
05-17-2012, 01:34 PM
It's an online game... I play to be able to beat others... I don't play anything that isn't online... because what's the fun in beating something that doesn't feel the beating?

I came here originally trying to figure out different strategies... but now enjoy wasting time reading other peoples bullsh1t and enjoy throwing my poop around too... why the hell not o_0

Ghost818
05-17-2012, 01:39 PM
I know one of those unwritten rules has got to be: Respect lost on the forum is often hard to get back.

All is not lost. Stay tuned.

Swifty
05-17-2012, 01:43 PM
@Burn

I roleplay an evil SOB in the game, that does not mean that I would rob and kill you in real life.

Well, maybe I would.

Burn
05-17-2012, 01:48 PM
Swifty, you don't count, you are a unique, complex and possibly somewhat strange character ;)

But I can still see you are a good guy.

Check out Dillinja, he has quite a dark persona on here, but he still strikes me as someone who has a clear take on right from wrong. His moral compass is fully functional.

In contrast there are others who are all rainbows and fluffy bears on the surface, but the reality is that they have it in their character to lie, cheat and manipulate for their own ends. Hi Santa :)

In my experience, regardless of a mans tribal allegiances, the social demographic he belongs to, his colour, religion or country of origin, even his academic achievements, his professional standing or his personal wealth, he will still only actually fit into one of 2 categories; decent people, and f*ckwits. And frankly any further division beyond those 2 options is irrelevant.

Blame G for this sh!t, starting a goddam thread about Psychology, when all I really want to do is kill pixels! ;)

sexkitteh
05-17-2012, 02:13 PM
@Burn

I roleplay an evil SOB in the game, that does not mean that I would rob and kill you in real life.

Well, maybe I would.

Swifty is going to get you!!! LOOK OUT!!!

http://lh5.ggpht.com/-OinhCzzRqig/T2lnkY8uTeI/AAAAAAAAATE/jA3yUr3gotA/cybersex-nerd-demotivational-poster%25255B7%25255D.jpg

Max Power
05-17-2012, 02:20 PM
Swifty, you don't count, you are a unique, complex and possibly somewhat strange character ;)

It's the absinthe.

Ghost818
05-17-2012, 02:22 PM
@BURN Sir please check your PMs

G Wiz
05-17-2012, 02:56 PM
All is not lost. Stay tuned.Indeed...I got you bro!

Blame G for this sh!t, starting a goddam thread about Psychology, when all I really want to do is kill pixels! ;)LoL, I suck at being an intuitive journalist

Dreno33
05-17-2012, 03:05 PM
@ G Wiz, interesting thread.. Makes me think about what it was like on the forums and in-game back in 2011.

Btw, you're a very good writer.

Amber_
05-17-2012, 03:16 PM
I play to get my rage out, poor rats have to take it.

And also to pass time...

mnju_03
05-17-2012, 03:59 PM
I just want to bang hot chicks.

AppleMacGuy
05-17-2012, 04:54 PM
I just want to bang hot chicks.

Don't spend your greenbacks on CC gold then...you won't get laid in a virtual hood...spend the cash on a visit to a brothel...:p

mnju_03
05-17-2012, 04:56 PM
Don't spend your greenbacks on CC gold then...you won't get laid in a virtual hood...spend the cash on a visit to a brothel...:p

Done and done! lol....Pick me up in the R and it's my treat! lol

AppleMacGuy
05-17-2012, 04:58 PM
Done and done! lol....Pick me up in the R and it's my treat! lol

You'd cack your pants in the R...the chicks wouldn't dig that

mnju_03
05-17-2012, 05:04 PM
You'd cack your pants in the R...the chicks wouldn't dig that

Doubt it... lol Still worth trying! Sadly I get more thrills in that than in some ..... brothel employee. lol

G Wiz
05-17-2012, 09:48 PM
@ G Wiz, interesting thread.. Makes me think about what it was like on the forums and in-game back in 2011.

Btw, you're a very good writer.First off, thank you for that :)

Secondly, the CC era before the turn of the new year was kind of like the garden of eden. We were all ignorant, drop rates were the highest ever...kind of like Oxygen during the triassic period and of course all was well.

We even had a centralized forum jester/troll, if you will, that was the only person to go from hated to somewhat liked.

Nowadays I kind of feel like that weathered sailor that speaks out from the back of a room during town hall meetings about capturing some freak shark lol...wise, but worn if you will ;)

mnju_03
05-17-2012, 09:52 PM
First off, thank you for that :)

Secondly, the CC era before the turn of the new year was kind of like the garden of eden. We were all ignorant, drop rates were the highest ever...kind of like Oxygen during the triassic period and of course all was well.

We even had a centralized forum jester/troll, if you will, that was the only person to go from hated to somewhat liked.

Nowadays I kind of feel like that weathered sailor that speaks out from the back of a room during town hall meetings about capturing some freak shark lol...wise, but worn if you will ;)

T'was the size of nothing I've ever seen before.... the likes of this beast are of mammoth proportions!

http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r580/mnju_03/546427_10150953871641458_372475366457_12031182_120 2141845_n.jpg

Feng1234
05-17-2012, 10:03 PM
Hehe this game is nothing compared to one where I played for 9 months that involved banking every hour. I ended up t20 but experience shows that enjoys while you do but don't go overboard with money or time or sleep because you'll one day give it up.

We're all gamblers at heart...

Dillinja
05-18-2012, 01:21 AM
Check out Dillinja, he has quite a dark persona on here, but he still strikes me as someone who has a clear take on right from wrong. His moral compass is fully functional.

Very good observation on both counts Burn.
My forum persona is very similar to my work persona. I am as ruthless as I am fair. Play nice, I'm your bessie mate. Cross me and find yourself another job. I have no problems being as cold and calculating as I have being nice and helpful.

I do find this a very interesting topic... if only everyone was as truthful and honest, then the way we behave online and ingame clearly would show the true characteristics of our nature.
Saying that, there are some people who are very good in hiding their true self behind a façade and making people believe they are something they're not.
Takes all sorts I guess

Dreno33
05-18-2012, 01:52 AM
Dillinja, I absolutely agree with Burn.

P.S. Also, your Avatar perfectly matches your personality (from what I have gathered)

P.P.S. I'm going to watch Dark Shadows tomoro for a date, can't freakin wait. Looks so damn funny!

Bruiser
05-18-2012, 04:52 AM
This has been a very interesting read. I don't feel as if i can contibute much to this tonight, but i do remember being ignorant about this game in 2011 to what it is like today. I am not playing as much golf nowadays as its our winter and only a few OS tournaments and with more free time i find it less appealing coming onto the forums to hear whining posts and trolls carrying on. I hate looking back but things were better for me personally on the forums to what they are today. I am no where near winning this game and still enjoy the friendly banter between a few good guys on here but as far as helping newbies who can't help themselves...I won't waste my valuable time no more.

Ghost818
05-18-2012, 05:52 AM
This has been a very interesting read. I don't feel as if i can contibute much to this tonight, but i do remember being ignorant about this game in 2011 to what it is like today. I am not playing as much golf nowadays as its our winter and only a few OS tournaments and with more free time i find it less appealing coming onto the forums to hear whining posts and trolls carrying on. I hate looking back but things were better for me personally on the forums to what they are today. I am no where near winning this game and still enjoy the friendly banter between a few good guys on here but as far as helping newbies who can't help themselves...I won't waste my valuable time no more.

Im afraid this is happening with those of us who have been here longest. You arent alone bro :/

Fricco
05-18-2012, 06:13 AM
Im afraid this is happening with those of us who have been here longest. You arent alone bro :/
I remember when we were both like lvl 120 and i admired how strong you were and how much knowledge you used to provide (not that you still dont) but since i have well surpassed you in lvl's its evident your not as thrilled as you once were. I liked that guy better. Im actually considering dropping you from my mafia to start attacking you relentlessly in an attempt to get the blood flowing again. ;)

sexkitteh
05-18-2012, 07:48 AM
Dillinja, I absolutely agree with Burn.

P.S. Also, your Avatar perfectly matches your personality (from what I have gathered)

P.P.S. I'm going to watch Dark Shadows tomoro for a date, can't freakin wait. Looks so damn funny!

GO IN WITH MEDIUM EXPECTATION AND YOU WILL LIKE THE MOVIE!

I went in with higher hopes and walked out going... meh... it was ok...

Swifty
05-18-2012, 08:32 AM
I want to address a couple of interesting points raised by Dillinja.

Online games give us the opportunity to be something very different than what we are in real life. This has always been an important part of role-playing games: you can choose to play like you are in real life, or you can be totally different, or somewhere in between. In real life, I would give Dillinja the shirt off my back if he needed it. In this game, I would stab him in the back the first chance I got.

Sometimes people make incorrect assumptions about what a person is like. They think they know something about a person, but they do not. Then, when they find out the person is not who they thought, they think the person was hiding behind a facade, when in fact, there never was a facade.

Burn
05-18-2012, 08:51 AM
I can only again refer you to my previous statement ;)

Swifty, you don't count, you are a unique, complex and possibly somewhat strange character

Swifty
05-18-2012, 08:56 AM
@Burn

Go with the Max Power explanation, it is the cumulative effects of absinthe consumption.

Sasha54
05-18-2012, 09:17 AM

Online games give us the opportunity to be something very different than what we are in real life. This has always been an important part of role-playing games: you can choose to play like you are in real life, or you can be totally different, or somewhere in between. In real life, I would give Dillinja the shirt off my back if he needed it. In this game, I would stab him in the back the first chance I got.

Sometimes people make incorrect assumptions about what a person is like. They think they know something about a person, but they do not. Then, when they find out the person is not who they thought, they think the person was hiding behind a facade, when in fact, there never was a facade.

I think you're just a pussy-cat in fox's clothing..........:rolleyes:

dudeman
05-18-2012, 09:21 AM
@Burn

Go with the Max Power explanation, it is the cumulative effects of absinthe consumption.

What brand do you like? If they spell it the way you just did, with an "e" at the end, it's French absinth... And real absinth is not legal in France... or in the USA for that matter. To get around that they make a drink called absinthe that looks and tastes like the real thing but is missing the key ingredient (wormwood).

Kind of like dealcoholized beer. Looks and tastes like beer, but it's missing the best part. Lol ;)

I don't usually talk about absinth though, so I will take my bottle and go back to hiding. :cool:

Edit: Oops, I forgot my on topic response to the OP!

Dillinja
05-18-2012, 09:22 AM

Thanks for that Swifty...I should have clarified in my post that I wasnt actually referring to you.
That way you could have avoided further embarrassment and paranoia.

Furthermore, I dont expect people to be truthful in the game...I mean after all it is called Crime City.
I was referring more to being honest and truthful on the forum.

Max Power
05-18-2012, 09:22 AM
@Burn

I hear it has a lingering effect, like an LSD flashback.

Swifty
05-18-2012, 09:27 AM
My current bottle is Kubler (Swiss).

And I do straight shots, no Green Fairies for me.

Twinkie
05-18-2012, 09:27 AM
My personality on here is exactly like it is in real life. I try to be nice and friendly with everyone I've met. If you take the time to write me a msg or PM, I will take the time to reply back. If you want to know more about me besides my nickname, I have absolutely no problem sharing. Even if I see you put a little effort in wanting to be friends, I don't mind returning it tenfold. Friendships are two-way streets. But if you couldn't care less about me, then I don't give a crap about you either. Not to sound arrogant or cocky, but trust me, I have more than enough friends. Losing one unknown is nothing to me, I'll make 10 new ones in a week.

There are people here who miscontrued my friendliness as if I have an ulterior motive. Do I look like I would "stalk" you? You honestly think I care? You're not some celebrity or musician, so don't think too highly of yourself. I'm not "after" you, I'm not "spying" on you, I'm not "gathering" information about you so I can pass it on. Pass it on to who? Grow the F up. Stop being so f'ing paranoid. Get your mind out of whatever war-zone you're in, face reality, and see there are some who are just completely genuine. Sorry if I sound bitter, because I just got freaking burned.

If you possess any of these qualities: paranoia, jealousy, insecurity. Stay the F away from me.

Swifty
05-18-2012, 09:30 AM
But Twinkie, I do not want to stay away.

TheLiquidator
05-18-2012, 09:50 AM
This has been a most interesting read (the thread). I'm not a huge online gamer other than the, what I'd call, "casual gaming" through my iPhone...so being someone different never really occurred to me. I can only think of one game (non-Funzio) that I had a few different profiles on because I was trying to keep an eye on some trouble-makers...but I was still me.

Not to say that I don't enjoy the idea of kicking the pixels off someone who was tormenting me...but not quite the same as being a serial killer and "enforcer" in my real life. ;)

Sasha54
05-18-2012, 10:15 AM
What brand do you like? If they spell it the way you just did, with an "e" at the end, it's French absinth... And real absinth is not legal in France... or in the USA for that matter. To get around that they make a drink called absinthe that looks and tastes like the real thing but is missing the key ingredient (wormwood).

Kind of like dealcoholized beer. Looks and tastes like beer, but it's missing the best part. Lol ;)

I don't usually talk about absinth though, so I will take my bottle and go back to hiding. :cool:

Edit: Oops, I forgot my on topic response to the OP!

You can get "real" absinthe in Belgium, Switzerland and Amsterdam as well as a lot of other countries - the ban was lifted in Switzerland in 2005 and in France the ban was lifted sometime last year I think.
I have several bottles of the wormwood variety.

But also :

In December 2007, St. George Absinthe Verte, produced by St. George Spirits of Alameda, California, became the first brand of American-made absinthe produced in the United States since the ban.[46][47] Since that time, other micro-distilleries have started producing small batch artisanal absinthes in the US.

Yahkin
05-18-2012, 11:26 AM
I have and still play games to escape the reality of my life. I won't get into details of my tribulations, but they are such that an escape is needed and this seems better than other addictions. :)

That said, in spite of all attempts to be "different" online, many of my core philosophies and mannerisms still prevail. How annoying.

G Wiz
05-18-2012, 11:38 AM
Im liking the insights guys

Chiefer
05-18-2012, 11:50 AM
I pray to myself never to meet any of you. I'll take the cake.

Chiefer
05-18-2012, 11:52 AM
My personality on here is exactly like it is in real life. I try to be nice and friendly with everyone I've met. If you take the time to write me a msg or PM, I will take the time to reply back. If you want to know more about me besides my nickname, I have absolutely no problem sharing. Even if I see you put a little effort in wanting to be friends, I don't mind returning it tenfold. Friendships are two-way streets. But if you couldn't care less about me, then I don't give a crap about you either. Not to sound arrogant or cocky, but trust me, I have more than enough friends. Losing one unknown is nothing to me, I'll make 10 new ones in a week.

There are people here who miscontrued my friendliness as if I have an ulterior motive. Do I look like I would "stalk" you? You honestly think I care? You're not some celebrity or musician, so don't think too highly of yourself. I'm not "after" you, I'm not "spying" on you, I'm not "gathering" information about you so I can pass it on. Pass it on to who? Grow the F up. Stop being so f'ing paranoid. Get your mind out of whatever war-zone you're in, face reality, and see there are some who are just completely genuine. Sorry if I sound bitter, because I just got freaking burned.

If you possess any of these qualities: paranoia, jealousy, insecurity. Stay the F away from me.

YOUR A DUDE.... Lmao I'm sorry can't help it. That's your personality. Like the 10th fake one for nasty rosebuds. What happened to our "swedish girl".... Lmao. I'm sorry forum mod's. We know it's a dude.

Gaming Will
05-18-2012, 11:53 AM
I'm the same in game and online as I am in real life. I don't see the point in pretending to be something I'm not. I'm generally a nice guy until you cross a line. I don't forgive easily and definitely hold a grudge. However, I don't attack or rob anyone in real life. I much more prefer to save lives.

Nice thread GWiz.

frenda
05-18-2012, 12:23 PM
Too funny!

G Wiz
05-18-2012, 12:26 PM
Thanks bud!

Piggy-backing off of you, I think that sometimes we blur the lines and bring emotions into this game and vice versa.

More times than not, we like to take the positive out of things while ignoring the negative that might come with it as well so that it aligns with our internal schemas and so forth.

People generally like to believe they are good people and will justify their actions accordingly.

Dreno33
05-18-2012, 12:29 PM
I'm the same in game and online as I am in real life. I don't see the point in pretending to be something I'm not. I'm generally a nice guy until you cross a line. I don't forgive easily and definitely hold a grudge. However, I don't attack or rob anyone in real life. I much more prefer to save lives.

Nice thread GWiz.

similar personality as me, except i can't hold onto a grudge. I feel like I end up p!ssing myself off more than I am mad at the person.

frenda
05-18-2012, 12:31 PM
similar personality as me, except i can't hold onto a grudge. I feel like I end up p!ssing myself off more than I am mad at the person.

you're obviously not Sicilian. we take holding a grudge to a new level, like an artform, lol.

Burn
05-18-2012, 12:39 PM
People generally like to believe they are good people and will justify their actions accordingly.

There is a very simple method of testing any justifications or personal validations people find themselves making for their actions... How would you react if whatever it was you are justifying was done to you?

There is much wisdom in old sayings and proverbs, and one of my personal favourites, which is an almost flawless guide for those times when you are considering a 'should I or should I not' type situation....

Do Unto Others as You Would Have Them Do Unto You

It's almost a catchall when you are struggling with any kind of moral dilemna.

Test the theory, think of something suspect you have done recently, and then consider if it would still have been OK if you had been on the receiving end.

It the answer is No, it would not have been, well this is where you need to do the right thing. And that right there is the difference between a Man and a Rat.

This thread is going too deep. My brain hurts. :D

Swifty
05-18-2012, 12:42 PM
@Chiefer

You are out of line with your comments about Twinkie.

Way out of line.

Dravak
05-18-2012, 12:54 PM
YOUR A DUDE.... Lmao I'm sorry can't help it. That's your personality. Like the 10th fake one for nasty rosebuds. What happened to our "swedish girl".... Lmao. I'm sorry forum mod's. We know it's a dude.

Congrats wanted to stay quiet , way to drag me out into this **** , no boozo !
Cause some women are different cause they have different cultural upbringing .
Especially when raised in the western hemasphere .. doesn't mean it is a guy !!

Sorry cause you are a die hard republican , doesn't mean you know it all !!
especially about asian cultures and foster parents ...
So please keep that temper of you in check !

man all I say lately is STFU !!
Can't wait till my 26 thuglife are done !

Twinkie
05-18-2012, 01:21 PM

lol this seems....familiar:rolleyes: Xclusiv called out all the girls on here before. Let's do this again.

Out of respect for Gwiz, go start a new thread about me and call me out. Let's make this interesting.

G Wiz
05-18-2012, 01:40 PM
There is a very simple method of testing any justifications or personal validations people find themselves making for their actions... How would you react if whatever it was you are justifying was done to you?

There is much wisdom in old sayings and proverbs, and one of my personal favourites, which is an almost flawless guide for those times when you are considering a 'should I or should I not' type situation....

Test the theory, think of something suspect you have done recently, and then consider if it would still have been OK if you had been on the receiving end.

It the answer is No, it would not have been, well this is where you need to do the right thing. And that right there is the difference between a Man and a Rat.

This excerpt requires me to rub my goatee. Very deep and wise my friend.

I guess because we don't actually have to see other people in the game, we feel less responsibility for doing wrong, but a simple thought about what you said can make a big difference!

...Now wheres the advil liqui-gels?

Gaming Will
05-18-2012, 01:47 PM
There's a difference between healthy debating and blatant antagonizing. In an online setting where you can't see facial expressions or always sniff out witty sarcasm, people can easily misconstrue others' intended words. No matter what the individual's agenda or personality happen to be, people become intertwined in the drama of forums find it addicting and empowering to behave antisocially. Although I don't understand the why?

G Wiz
05-18-2012, 01:54 PM
I think the why might be as easy as saying misery loves company, no?

Just check out that Payam fellow...or whatever his name might be.

frenda
05-18-2012, 01:56 PM

considering most here are using "fake" names, that last comment struck me as especially funny.

Sasha54
05-18-2012, 01:58 PM

Yeah it's that whole schadenfreude thing........

G Wiz
05-18-2012, 02:01 PM
Yeah it's that whole schadenfreude thing........There ya go! It was on the tip of my tounge

...Then I chocked on it, but your right!

Plux
05-18-2012, 02:06 PM
G another thread to join those which rank at the top of the thread league. Imagine sitting on the Crime City couch and expressing our deepest angsts to CC Mark. Where is Fizzle by the way? Has Kingdoms of Age taken priority for a bit? It's the weekend by the way everybody.

Max Power
05-18-2012, 02:15 PM
you're obviously not Sicilian. we take holding a grudge to a new level, like an artform, lol.

I am Irish. I have no idea what I want, and I am willing to fight for it.....

The Golden Rule is the only true religion. It has Atheists and Buddhists and Christians all living side by side with the same basic social construct, a system of shared values. I am not sure if it is a common sense of decency or a universal fear of reprisal, but it works. It works damn well.

Ghost818
05-18-2012, 02:17 PM
G another thread to join those which rank at the top of the thread league. Imagine sitting on the Crime City couch and expressing our deepest angsts to CC Mark. Where is Fizzle by the way? Has Kingdoms of Age taken priority for a bit? It's the weekend by the way everybody.
Nope she's been missing from the forum entirely, probably at MW.

Dreno33
05-18-2012, 04:20 PM
I am Irish. I have no idea what I want, and I am willing to fight for it.....

Max, can i put this in my sig? I can't stop laughing, hahahaha