PDA

View Full Version : Having a balanced military or not.

Arizona
05-11-2012, 07:29 AM
I've sometimes read comments on here or in-game that part of a good strategy is to have a balanced force of land sea air and infantry units. Up till now I've gone along a similar path, trying to have decent amounts of this or that in the various forces, sans infantry. I'm thinking of changing my game approach, and wonder, what's really the point of a balanced military?
I'm playing as the mighty mighty Russians, so do I really need any ground forces or infantry? Before I buy anything, I'm starting with a 10% bonus if I choose an air unit. With an upgraded hangar, there's up to another 20%.
Yesterday, I bought a dozen Rapid Fire Attack Vehicles, but today I'm wondering why? Just for balance and to increase my stats? Didn't do much anyway. There's not much else to buy till my air bases and dry docks are upgraded.
As a free player and wanting to stay that way, I know I'm going to be limited, I buy Hornets and Stealth Frigates, but they're just stop gap measures until I can start buying as many Stealth Bombers and Aircraft Carriers as possible. As far as units go, that's pretty much all a free player needs to go along with any event units won.
But...what do you think???

Bronson
05-11-2012, 07:46 AM
I have sold my advanced ground building and I have only bought infantry when I was doing PVE waaaay back in the day. To me they are a waste of space. I am UK so i have decided i am only buying sea units and stealth bombers when I unlock them. Also Valor units only getting SF & SH in a 3:1 ratio towards the SF

Ramshutu
05-11-2012, 08:13 AM
The best army is one that has 2000 units that give you the best ATK, 2000 units that give you the best def, and the 50 rangers you have left over from some map mission.

There is no magic algorithm, maths or process that I know of inside the game that makes it worthwhile NOT to choose the best unit.

vball
05-11-2012, 08:13 AM
Xtro,

that is a very good question. I have talked and seen several top players bases and try and see what they do. From what I can tell you is that everyone has their own strategy and think all of us are trying to figure out what makes the most sense.

For me, most of my units are air and sea. I do use infantry as my meat units and that by and large seems to work. Go check out my base and you can see. Have been starting to build aircraft carriers and in all my battles have lost one, so the loss rate seems to work. Although as the numbers increase, my guess is their losses will too.

Also storing up valor rather than spend it at this point. My own goal is to be able to put another 100 of SH and SF into my inventory on a moments notice when I get to the whale level. Getting pretty close right now, but will just keep storing them until necessary.

I think you need to evaluate that most top players are also coming in with either sea or air and so have units strong against those will help you. Have not seen anyone using ground or infantry at the high levels aside from the meat shields.

The losses on ground and infantry to me are too high to justify their high cost. As a test, bought 10 bio warfare to see how long it would take to lose them. The first ones went right away, the last few hung on for a bit but they too died quickly. A better investment would be amphib hovercraft, etc that do not die as quickly. But this is my experience and like everyone have my own strategy that changes quite frequently as my experience changes.

Ducati
05-11-2012, 08:34 AM
I agree good question. Because I am just a newbie, I am very intersted what the veterans opinion is about this.
So far I think it is absolute useless to invest in anything else then airforce. Obviously I have the Russian Flag out.
Untill now I am doing very good with this tactic. Win all battles and nobody so far was able to raid me.

Maverick50727
05-11-2012, 08:39 AM
Xtro,

that is a very good question. I have talked and seen several top players bases and try and see what they do. From what I can tell you is that everyone has their own strategy and think all of us are trying to figure out what makes the most sense.

For me, most of my units are air and sea. I do use infantry as my meat units and that by and large seems to work. Go check out my base and you can see. Have been starting to build aircraft carriers and in all my battles have lost one, so the loss rate seems to work. Although as the numbers increase, my guess is their losses will too.

Also storing up valor rather than spend it at this point. My own goal is to be able to put another 100 of SH and SF into my inventory on a moments notice when I get to the whale level. Getting pretty close right now, but will just keep storing them until necessary.

I think you need to evaluate that most top players are also coming in with either sea or air and so have units strong against those will help you. Have not seen anyone using ground or infantry at the high levels aside from the meat shields.

The losses on ground and infantry to me are too high to justify their high cost. As a test, bought 10 bio warfare to see how long it would take to lose them. The first ones went right away, the last few hung on for a bit but they too died quickly. A better investment would be amphib hovercraft, etc that do not die as quickly. But this is my experience and like everyone have my own strategy that changes quite frequently as my experience changes.
I agree mostly here. But Xtro you have to make your own decision in the end. In the end having only the strongest attack or def unit on each side may ensure you have the strongest stats, but will that be best? IMO I don't think so and go with a balanced approach, so we will see who comes out on top. You also have to take into account how long it will take you to get there to use all teh best units, cost to maintain and everything Funzio will change between now and then.

Strong Against does make a difference, as will consumption rate. Also some units (requirements) add value in doing missions which in return may have other benifits I will not go into. But I'm looking back into doing missions now as I stopped months ago. Now I see that was a mistake on my part for a number of reasons. I would never sell off a unit building like Bronson, but that may work for him. Just doesn't fit my own strategies as a free player, where I'm at in the game, and mission needs also. Everyone is different though. Gold players may not need all the unit buildings as much, simply because gold gives them other advantages elsewhere and may not need additional cash and other resources the PVE provides.

Send me a PM if you have questions.

manbeast
05-11-2012, 10:52 AM
i dont play the balance game. i have 300 sf and 100 sh. the whole rest of my army is sea bc i am UK. sea units have, by far, the lowest casualty rates making them better in the long run.

Arizona
05-11-2012, 11:32 AM
Thanks for your input everyone.

Yes, I know I have to make my own choices, and I'm happy to go with concentrating more heavily on Air power. I'm not convinced a balanced approach is anything other than inefficient. There's going to be a few sea units everyone will want, the AC for instance, but as Russia, I can't see much benefit in going for much else, except while I'm upgrading the dry dock. I haven't seen any infantry I'm waiting to get. Same goes for Ground forces.
I think my approach will be to buy the same or better units each time something dies; pretty much Air units, and pad that out with some sea units. I've got way too many at the moment that arn't being used. I hope by buying stronger, it pushes the weaker ones out, increasing my overall strength.
It's still a learning process, and no doubt someone down the line, Funzio will change things around. Makes it all good fun tho!