PDA

View Full Version : If anyone is curious to read, would love feedback!

Dreno33
05-10-2012, 04:26 PM
None of you are online but I just started my next PHIL paper. I am going to post a rough draft later tonight or tomoro. The audience he wants it to be directed to is... well... YOU!

"Your essay should be addressed to an educated, yet uninformed audience."

Read the essay if you wish, but i warn you, it will be lengthy (though good! i promise!!(: )
ANY and ALL comments, remarks, critiques, corrections, etc would be much appreciated. Cant have my mom read it, she doesn't quite fit the audience criteria... lmao. nah, i love her. making her breakfast in bed sunday. doubt it'll taste good but hey! i try(:

Night to y'all sleeping(: back to my paper

Dreno33
PHIL 1010
Paper 2
5/14/12

Stand Up
When my professor presented me with several topics, seventeen to be exact, I was quite disappointed in reading them, for I found not much excitement in the choices given. That is, until I got to the very bottom. There it read: Why might it be important to separate oneself from the crowd? What might be some dangers of doing so? Boom! A spark inside lit and I was so excited and relieved to have found the perfect subject to address to you all today. I strongly feel, as I hope many others do as well, that it is extremely beneficial for individuals to stand up from the crowd.

So, what characteristics might someone have who “separates oneself from the crowd?” Well I would presume most think of the outgoing, lovable guy or gal who, when entering into a room, can quickly become the life of the party. Though this is true, it is thankfully not the complete truth. I believe, as does Nietzsche, that everyone, no matter the personality, have the ability to stand up from the crowd and walk away to his/her own destiny.

From the beginnings, my learning consisted solely on the idea to question thinking and to propose the questions that inspired deeper thinking. This led to the thoughts of Plato. Plato thought, under every circumstance, it would be most beneficial to abide by the laws of justice. For one to be just would result in only cleansing to the soul and purity; in other words, a harmonious balance to one’s soul. If we were to follow his teaching on this way of life, it seems unlikely for one and/or several to flourish within the society. It seems, in my opinion, too structured and demotes creativity and uniqueness.

When looking into Seneca, my professor taught the central focus at Seneca’s view of all humanity as being the best one can be. If I’m not mistaken, we could all agree that this would involve trying to separate from the crowd and focus on oneself. When asked, “Why do many of us not understand what true happiness is?” Seneca replied, “Humans often imitate the actions of the crowd. The crowd is often misguided, especially about the nature of true happiness. The crowd leads individuals astray.” Does this not correspond side-by-side with separating oneself from the crowd?

Therefore, I honestly do believe Seneca would agree with me that it is very important to separate oneself from the crowd. If you are going to try to be the best you can be how could you possibly reach for that goal when you continue to sit on the ground along with the rest of the crowd? Stand up and take some action! “The sky is the limit!”

Friedrich Nietzsche, a 19th Century German Philosopher, takes note much more specifically on why it is important to separate oneself from the crowd. He’s explains this in a very simplistic concept for comparison to “the crowd.” It is called Übermensch, which means “overhuman.” Some characteristics a Übermensch would hold are taking risks, full of life and passionate, creates one’s own meaning/value. These all reflect the personality and nature of one who “stand’s up.” The most important mentioned trait of a Übermensch is that each one is unique as in individual. In other words, each Übermensch is his/her own leader. This is precisely what one does when he/she makes the decision to separate oneself from the crowd. This is why it is important.

My paper is incomplete but I must now get ready for work. If any of you have any feedback, corrections, thoughts, ideas, etc. I would MUCH APPRECIATE IT!! Again, for those who took the time to read, thanks. I hope you enjoyed it.

Bronson
05-10-2012, 04:39 PM
Good read Draino but cheating like a mofo getting us to help you out lol just playing!

There is nothing worse than being in a crowd and as the great Welsh philosopher Bronson once said "a person is smart but people are dumb!"

Dreno33
05-10-2012, 04:49 PM
Good read Draino but cheating like a mofo getting us to help you out lol just playing!

There is nothing worse than being in a crowd and as the great Welsh philosopher Bronson once said "a person is smart but people are dumb!"

is that a real philosopher? b/c i love those kinda quotes. I'll use it if it is legit

JohnnyR
05-10-2012, 04:51 PM
Never read Nietszche, but the Übermensh idea sounds fascinating. Not sure what you're professor is after, but expounding on that example of standing up, or against a crowd sounds pretty powerful.

Agent Orange
05-10-2012, 04:54 PM

Great doing some kids, philosophy 101 homework.

I think he fell into a trap by taking the subject too literally.

There are ways of standing out in a crowd without wearing neon....

I would kill off the opening line, too combative unless you want to turn off your prof right off the bat.

Bronson
05-10-2012, 04:58 PM
No guys that philosopher was me and that's my quote but feel free to use it but give me credit!

Agent Orange
05-10-2012, 05:05 PM
No guys that philosopher was me and that's my quote but feel free to use it but give me credit!

You Welsh sure have a way with words... :p

Dr BoneCrusher
05-10-2012, 05:14 PM
Interesting thread, I would like to compare it to your style of play. Most of us attack, build our economy and level with some regularity but not you. You take an extrem style of play, camping and not just the run of the mill camping you have only level a few times. You have achieved the goal of your thread, you do stand out from the crowd but at what cost? What is the point of standing out from the crowd if the crowd leaves you? What is the point of watching life go by, just to stand out. Real courage is embracing life and live it and understand, you don't control everything because what is the point of standing out other then gaining control? Real risk takers crave the lack of control. Now come on do some looting, attacking and have some fun LEVEL UP

JohnnyR
05-10-2012, 05:25 PM
Is your professor asking for anything in regards to point of view? I ask because this is in first person, and many of the papers I've written ask to take an objective, or third person point of view. Sounds more pro, IMO.

Dreno33
05-10-2012, 11:17 PM
Hey guys! thanks for the feedback! didnt know if you were going to take the time to read it, haha.

I WAS hesitant on the first paragraph (like what AO said)

My prof said he wanted it conversation format (as in, speaking to an audience, like Socrates would do), and since it isn't dialogue, this was my style of writing as you read.

Bronson, that quote sounded very familiar, ima google it. if i find no author, the quote is yours(:

mickymacirl
05-11-2012, 12:21 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Brunton

His Quest for the Overself is the best non-fiction book ever written.

mickymacirl
05-11-2012, 12:22 AM

Ah ur welsh, that explains so much, I'm about 40 miles from Wales over da water.

Bronson
05-11-2012, 02:51 AM
Ah ur welsh, that explains so much, I'm about 40 miles from Wales over da water.

Finally a proper Irish person on the forums! I am afraid to say Aidan has made a rather "unconventional" caricature of the Irish on this forum of sex crazed idiots! Please feel free to redress the balance accordingly!

Bronson
05-11-2012, 02:54 AM

Don't take me as a typical Welsh person I stand out of the crowd in fact I should be stood in front of one cracking my jokes ;)

Draino you found anyone else who has ripped off the quote I just invented???

EDIT - Just remembered I heard it off Men in Black so you can quote Tommy Lee Jones - you North Americans sure have a way with words... :p lol

Chimera
05-11-2012, 04:20 PM
You have a personable style. Friendly.
I would delete the first paragraph. Too much “professor” throughout the essay.
Back up your statements with real life examples, both good and bad.
The conclusion “This is why it is important” is vague.
I would definitely have your mother read it.