PDA

View Full Version : If anyone is curious to read, would love feedback!

Dreno33
05-10-2012, 04:25 PM
Dreno33
PHIL 1010
Paper 2
5/14/12

Stand Up
When my professor presented me with several topics, seventeen to be exact, I was quite disappointed in reading them, for I found not much excitement in the choices given. That is, until I got to the very bottom. There it read: Why might it be important to separate oneself from the crowd? What might be some dangers of doing so? Boom! A spark inside lit and I was so excited and relieved to have found the perfect subject to address to you all today. I strongly feel, as I hope many others do as well, that it is extremely beneficial for individuals to stand up from the crowd.

So, what characteristics might someone have who “separates oneself from the crowd?” Well I would presume most think of the outgoing, lovable guy or gal who, when entering into a room, can quickly become the life of the party. Though this is true, it is thankfully not the complete truth. I believe, as does Nietzsche, that everyone, no matter the personality, have the ability to stand up from the crowd and walk away to his/her own destiny.

From the beginnings, my learning consisted solely on the idea to question thinking and to propose the questions that inspired deeper thinking. This led to the thoughts of Plato. Plato thought, under every circumstance, it would be most beneficial to abide by the laws of justice. For one to be just would result in only cleansing to the soul and purity; in other words, a harmonious balance to one’s soul. If we were to follow his teaching on this way of life, it seems unlikely for one and/or several to flourish within the society. It seems, in my opinion, too structured and demotes creativity and uniqueness.

When looking into Seneca, my professor taught the central focus at Seneca’s view of all humanity as being the best one can be. If I’m not mistaken, we could all agree that this would involve trying to separate from the crowd and focus on oneself. When asked, “Why do many of us not understand what true happiness is?” Seneca replied, “Humans often imitate the actions of the crowd. The crowd is often misguided, especially about the nature of true happiness. The crowd leads individuals astray.” Does this not correspond side-by-side with separating oneself from the crowd?

Therefore, I honestly do believe Seneca would agree with me that it is very important to separate oneself from the crowd. If you are going to try to be the best you can be how could you possibly reach for that goal when you continue to sit on the ground along with the rest of the crowd? Stand up and take some action! “The sky is the limit!”

Friedrich Nietzsche, a 19th Century German Philosopher, takes note much more specifically on why it is important to separate oneself from the crowd. He’s explains this in a very simplistic concept for comparison to “the crowd.” It is called Übermensch, which means “overhuman.” Some characteristics a Übermensch would hold are taking risks, full of life and passionate, creates one’s own meaning/value. These all reflect the personality and nature of one who “stand’s up.” The most important mentioned trait of a Übermensch is that each one is unique as in individual. In other words, each Übermensch is his/her own leader. This is precisely what one does when he/she makes the decision to separate oneself from the crowd. This is why it is important.

My paper is incomplete but I must now get ready for work. If any of you have any feedback, corrections, thoughts, ideas, etc. I would MUCH APPRECIATE IT!! Again, for those who took the time to read, thanks. I hope you enjoyed it.

Rhino72
05-10-2012, 05:38 PM
Wall of text is painful

Sasha54
05-10-2012, 06:13 PM
Well as you say it is incomplete but you seem to be on a good track. Maybe need to keep it tight if you know what I mean and make it flow correctly so you aren't jumping around too much.
Make sure you have a really strong and concise ending.
Just my thoughts - I'm not familiar with Seneca but then again I didn't take philosophy.....

Nudie
05-10-2012, 07:24 PM
Don't limit yourself to western philosophy. Discuss some of the eastern concepts as well.

Dipstik
05-10-2012, 07:40 PM
Cut the whole first paragraph and begin by stating the thesis. You're opening the paper not only by saying "this is a homework assignment," but by COMPLAINING about it. Doesn't answer the question, and bores the reader before he even gets to the idea you're arguing for.

Dreno33
05-11-2012, 12:06 AM
Don't limit yourself to western philosophy. Discuss some of the eastern concepts as well.

He wanted me to talk about those three philosophers and there viewpoints on it

Cut the whole first paragraph and begin by stating the thesis. You're opening the paper not only by saying "this is a homework assignment," but by COMPLAINING about it. Doesn't answer the question, and bores the reader before he even gets to the idea you're arguing for.

was considering this already, thanks for reiterating it. Gonna fix it