PDA

View Full Version : Question about Lockbox/Wall Safe/Briefcase Drops & PVP

itzkakarot
05-08-2012, 10:58 AM
Hey guys,

Forgive me if this has been asked before. I just did some scouring on the forums and couldn't find anything that really answers my question.

I'm trying to get some clarity on how the lockboxes, wall safes, briefcases, tbd (referred to as "lockboxes" for the remainder of this post) drops work in PVP. I'm talking specifically about acquiring lockboxes from players during a Robbery or Attack. I'm *not* talking about getting items/respect/secret documents out of the lockboxes.

I see lockbox drops working one of 2 ways:

Regardless of the player's current inventory of lockboxes, when a robbery or attack ensues a die is rolled and, if you win, you get a lockbox. If the player happens to have lockboxes on hand, they will "lose" one (1) for each that you win, otherwise nothing happens (e.g. they don't go negative, obviously) OR...
Lockboxes can *only* be looted in PVP if the opposing player has them on hand.

My suspicion is that #1 is correct. If lockboxes could only be looted from players who had them, that would mean that lockboxes are only "generated" (added to the world of CC) on PVE drops. Considering the fact that the PVP rate seems to be equal or better than the PVE rate, this would be a limiting factor of the event and no one would be looting boxes during PVP. Furthermore, judging by my own experience across multiple events, PVP drops are at a pretty steady drop rate regardless of my target. If #2 above was true, this would not be the case. The rate would be extremely variable, which would contradict something CC Mark said early on [emphasis is mine]:

The rate in which lockboxes drop is directly related to energy cost of a job (PvE) and a fixed value for stealing in PvP. The higher the energy cost for a job, the better chance at getting a lockbox.

I do have a suspicion, however, that the PVP rate *is* impacted by how weak the target is. This isn't scientific, but judging by my overall experience I find that if I hit someone who has 60% defense to my attack, I generally get a crappy drop rate. (Although, I guess that could be an argument that #1 above is correct, and that person is just an easy target who can't hold onto their boxes long enough for me to get them).

Granted, these are purely a non-scientific observations from a sample size of one (me). So I'm very curious if you guys have seen similar or varying results from what I have.

-itz

dudeman
05-08-2012, 11:04 AM
I see lockbox drops working one of 2 ways:

Regardless of the player's current inventory of lockboxes, when a robbery or attack ensues a die is rolled and, if you win, you get a lockbox. If the player happens to have lockboxes on hand, they will "lose" one (1) for each that you win, otherwise nothing happens (e.g. they don't go negative, obviously) OR...
Lockboxes can *only* be looted in PVP if the opposing player has them on hand.

Why can't it be both?

Fixed value for stealing could just mean boxes have a set drop rate, but if boxes on hand = 0 then drop rate = 0%.

itzkakarot
05-08-2012, 01:06 PM
Why can't it be both?

Fixed value for stealing could just mean boxes have a set drop rate, but if boxes on hand = 0 then drop rate = 0%.
I intended for the 2 options I gave to be mutually exclusive. What you're proposing sounds more like a derivation of #2 above. :)

Of course #2 is technically feasible, but I'm trying to get to the bottom of what's actually happening. I'm suggesting that #2 isn't reality, based on my findings. I doubt we'll get feedback from CC Mark or Fizzle on this, so that leaves us to guess and hypothesize based on our findings.

Does anyone have any evidence to back up the either option above?

DenZ1
05-08-2012, 01:37 PM
I intended for the 2 options I gave to be mutually exclusive. What you're proposing sounds more like a derivation of #2 above. :)

Of course #2 is technically feasible, but I'm trying to get to the bottom of what's actually happening. I'm suggesting that #2 isn't reality, based on my findings. I doubt we'll get feedback from CC Mark or Fizzle on this, so that leaves us to guess and hypothesize based on our findings.

Does anyone have any evidence to back up the either option above?

Number 2 for sure. When event begins, I can empty my 68 stamina twice on all kind of players and didn't get any boxes.
Then, when some time passes by and players get them through missions I can see if player already has 1st item (3 boxes or or other to collect) I can hit him and most likely to get some boxes, whereas if person dont have 1st reward item yet, chances are he is struggling for boxes and i never had any drops from them.

Mind asking, why is it important? By day 2 you have tons of them anyway :)

itzkakarot
05-09-2012, 06:32 AM
Mind asking, why is it important? By day 2 you have tons of them anyway :)

Good question. :) Aside from sheer curiosity, I'm trying to level slowly while I build my economy. With lockbox events happening nearly twice a month, I'm trying to make my looting of lockboxes as efficient as possible. If #2 is indeed the way lockbox drops work, then it becomes a factor when deciding who to attack.

I'm still suspicious if #2 is really the case, though. Last night I was able to get boxes from players with levels in the early 90s and only 5K def. I would expect their lockbox supply to be non-existent given their susceptibility to attacks from their peers.

Number 2 for sure. When event begins, I can empty my 68 stamina twice on all kind of players and didn't get any boxes.
Your point about not getting any boxes at the start of an event is a good one. I'll have to try that myself next time around and see what I find.