PDA

View Full Version : Selling Buildings... anyone do this?

cookie monster
05-04-2012, 08:22 AM
I'm at level 61 currently, and I've got a couple buildings that I didn't want to build but they were listed as goals namely, the sports bar. It's ridiculously expensive to upgrade for what it pays and even at 1 it pays very little.

My question is if any of the more veteran players have gone through and cleared out any of the buildings that don't make a lot of economic sense?

When you sell a building do you get 50% of face value back?

Maniaxe
05-04-2012, 08:26 AM
There are several threads on this topic, this is a good thread found using the search option.
http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthread.php?22075-Selling-Lower-Level-Buildings&highlight=selling+buildings

Sasha54
05-04-2012, 08:31 AM
Yes - you get 50% and somehow I think a portion of the upgrades if you did any. I'm not sure about Gold buildings - I have asked but never got an answer - I don't know how you find out the cash value.

I have sold a few buildings because I needed space and I knew I didn't like them - yesterday I got rid of my Gas Station
I've also sold - Arcade, Clothing Store, Collection Agency - I knew I would never upgrade them.

Sasha54
05-04-2012, 08:32 AM
oh - and that is just my opinion

some people say never to sell a building..........

jaywalker
05-04-2012, 08:45 AM
NameLevel$/H
Gas Station 3 61
Deli 4 83
Pawn shop 5 86
Gas Station 4 101
Bagel Shop 2 106
Bagel Shop 2 106
Barber Shop 3 116
Barber Shop 3 116
Deli 5 124
Souvenir Store 3 132

Personally, I don't see any reasons to keep buildings like this in the long run. They used to give me a decent income at very low levels, but I'll sell a few of them soon to give spaces for bigger and much better buildings.

I'm at level 125 with ~180k/h. I have been focusing on upgrading Loft/MT/Italians for the last 4-5 weeks.

Sasha54
05-04-2012, 08:47 AM
NameLevel$/H
Gas Station 3 61
Deli 4 83
Pawn shop 5 86
Gas Station 4 101
Bagel Shop 2 106
Bagel Shop 2 106
Barber Shop 3 116
Barber Shop 3 116
Deli 5 124
Souvenir Store 3 132

Personally, I don't see any reasons to keep buildings like this in the long run. They used to give me a decent income at very low levels, but I'll sell a few of them soon to give spaces for bigger and much better buildings.

I'm at level 125 with ~180k/h. I have been focusing on upgrading Loft/MT/Italians for the last 4-5 weeks.

Yes - I think all of those will eventually be scrapped as far as I'm concerned.

Except my Bagel Shops - they look nice, are compact - and I LOVE bagels!!!!!

jaywalker
05-04-2012, 09:00 AM
Yes - I think all of those will eventually be scrapped as far as I'm concerned.

Except my Bagel Shops - they look nice, are compact - and I LOVE bagels!!!!!

Bagels doesn't sell so well in Norway, so I think I will sell them off :p
And I'm about to sell all my 18H buildings, just go rid of my 2 wholesale warehouses (both level 1).

cookie monster
05-04-2012, 09:02 AM
NameLevel$/H
Gas Station 3 61
Deli 4 83
Pawn shop 5 86
Gas Station 4 101
Bagel Shop 2 106
Bagel Shop 2 106
Barber Shop 3 116
Barber Shop 3 116
Deli 5 124
Souvenir Store 3 132

Some of those, I'm not sure about. I haven't sat down and done the math, but I will say that I've been really disappointed in the construction cost (both in money and time) for the bigger buildings that I've seen. The pay-back time is terrible. I like the three hour period buildings b/c they're awful robbery targets. I've been weighing that factor in my upgrading decisions, trying to maximize benefit along with money, etc.

I also haven't agreed with some of the math I've seen on a few tables. For example, on the list you give the size of the building has to play a role in the redundancy equation.

cookie monster
05-04-2012, 09:03 AM
Bagels doesn't sell so well in Norway, so I think I will sell them off :p
And I'm about to sell all my 18H buildings, just go rid of my 2 wholesale warehouses (both level 1).

The only thing those WWs are good for is robbing.

Maniaxe
05-04-2012, 09:14 AM
I disagree on the 18hr buildings, if you get them set on a good time schedule and collect on time they are great IMO. If you sit down and figure out when to collect them they almost never get robbed. The only time I have ever had mine get hit was when I was in the middle of a meeting. But most people don't realize this and well yes they are great for robbing.:cool:

Dorian Gray
05-04-2012, 09:34 AM
I've been expanding rather than selling off buildings. Not because it's the best economic strategy but because I want a big hood with a large variety of buildings. I might sell some buildings off in the future to make room for some decorating though.

duelblade
05-04-2012, 09:53 AM
yes however I work 52 hours a week and I get changed from mornings midday and night shifts and at my job they have a zero cell phone tolerance policy making it next to impossible to get and longer buildings ( 8 hours, 12 hours, 1 days, 2 days) and most of the time they get robbed so I have become a fan of 1/3/6 hours since they came back quickly and most people will pass over them since they aren't worth the stamina points.

cookie monster
05-04-2012, 12:28 PM
I disagree on the 18hr buildings, if you get them set on a good time schedule and collect on time they are great IMO. If you sit down and figure out when to collect them they almost never get robbed. The only time I have ever had mine get hit was when I was in the middle of a meeting. But most people don't realize this and well yes they are great for robbing.:cool:

Even at the risk of getting robbed, how could a person ditch those t-shirt stands? They take up no space, and they are cash cows.

Vile Lynn
05-04-2012, 12:39 PM
Yes - you get 50% and somehow I think a portion of the upgrades if you did any. I'm not sure about Gold buildings - I have asked but never got an answer - I don't know how you find out the cash value.

You're right, 50% of the build cost + (I think) half of the cost of the last upgrade. Ask CCMark next time he does a AMA thread, maybe he'll say.

As far as gold buildings go, you get a ton of cash if you sell them, IDK how much, but I think someone posted that the Pirates Tavern sells for 11million, but IDK for sure. Too bad we don't get half the gold back.

I bought & sold the Clothing Store twice: 1st time was for the build goal, 2nd time was for a "collect x-times" goal, so I built another one, collected, & sold it. (i have a Gents Club in it's place now.) IMHO, the Clothing Store wasn't worth the income, the upgrades & only worth robbing for the high R's.

NotHappyatU
05-04-2012, 11:28 PM
Sell all gas stations

Vicious...
05-05-2012, 01:20 AM
Some crap I sold today to make room...

2 Pizza Parlor
2 Tattoo Parlors
2 Delis
1 Sports Bar
1 Carousel (I was tired of looking at it too...daily reminder that you wasted gold)
1 Clothing Store (not today but recently)

1 Gas Station is on the chopping block but I don't NEED to sell it at the moment.

jaywalker
05-05-2012, 02:16 AM

6 Hour difference makes them near impossible, for ME, to get a good collection rythm.

Some of those, I'm not sure about. I haven't sat down and done the math, but I will say that I've been really disappointed in the construction cost (both in money and time) for the bigger buildings that I've seen. The pay-back time is terrible. I like the three hour period buildings b/c they're awful robbery targets. I've been weighing that factor in my upgrading decisions, trying to maximize benefit along with money, etc.

I also haven't agreed with some of the math I've seen on a few tables. For example, on the list you give the size of the building has to play a role in the redundancy equation.

If you concider those things, you should start concider how many collections you actually get from 3/6/18 hour buildings...

So far all my 18h buildings has been collected as a 24h building, 90% of the time.
Out of the list that I posted, wich was my lowest buildings, I would sell everything there before the bagel shops. The reason is simple: I get 99,9% of the collections. For the 3 and 6 hour buildings I would guess I get 60-75% depending on if it was robbed over night or not. Size is not everything.

Mig
05-05-2012, 03:37 AM
Lots of bad advice in this thread, IMO. I am lv111 and just about to upgrade to a lv2 Nightclub with just under $250k/hr. never used any gold.

People sell buildings to make space but if you make a lot of money space upgrades aren't a problem so you don't necessarily have to clear out all your old buildings. I have 2 of every buildin except the really bad pointless ones (which I will come to in a min). I actually use some of the bad buildings as cover to hide other buildings and their level badge. Cover buildings are also good for decoys. Sometimes people rob them but they get nothing from them.

The final reason is that it's good to have lots of buildings including the cheap ones in a large hood because it makes your hood look busy and confusing and you can hide buildings in corners and behind things. Always mix up your buildings and dont arrange the same ones together. People see cash icons in my hood but because there's so much to look at they mostly see the ones over cheap buildings and often miss that in amongst them is a high income building. Anyone cruising for robberies only stops for a few seconds for a first glance to see if it's worth robbing. Only if they spot something good do they look harder for more.

Buildings good for cover/decoys not worth upgrading: Meat Factory, Bagel Shop, Fish Store. I used them for a long time to hide lv10 Houses, Italian Restaurants, Russian Restaurants, French Restaurants. Never been robbed on any of those almost ever because nobody notices them in the jungle of buildings.

Even at levels < 100 it's worth upgrading certain early buildings because nobody ever, ever robs them. The best building to do this with is Italian Restaurant to lv10. I did both of mine around your level. Then I did both Souvenir Shops to lv10 and I have a Pizza Restaurant at lv10 too. Ice Cream Shop is worth upgrading to lv10 too. Souvenir Shop is a good cover building too as its bulky and tall.

There are some buildings that are not worth ever building in the first place but if you did like me in the early days just sell them. They are probably: Chinese Restaurant, Collection Agency (probably the worst), Clothing Store.

I would also never build any 1 Hour buildings. They are expensive to upgrade and waste space while not being useful cover or decoys. They also encourage robbing as you will always have them waiting for collection. Same goes for Laundromats. Totally overrated by everyone here and there are lots of people who rob them for the good respect (not to mention nobody is making anywhere near as much money as they think from them).

The only buildings I will probably sell that I did upgrade is Warehouse, to make space for the next big 8x8 I don't have. Maybe my next Nightclub and then eventually The late game buildings. Warehouse offers no cover, takes a lot of space, upgrades are expensive and terrible investments.

nopenopenope
05-05-2012, 11:16 AM
Lots of bad advice in this thread, IMO. I am lv111 and just about to upgrade to a lv2 Nightclub with just under $250k/hr. never used any gold.

Same goes for Laundromats. Totally overrated by everyone here and there are lots of people who rob them for the good respect (not to mention nobody is making anywhere near as much money as they think from them).

IMO, you've got a piece of bad advice in there yourself. Lvl 10 LM's start returning profit after roughly 11 days at 25% collection (discounting tycoon chain-ROI), so let's assume I've made a 500% (and growing) ROI on these purchases in only 2 months. I doubt you've even reached profitability at your level 1/2 NC's (also discounting tycoon chain-ROI), which would take you 46 days at 100% collection to do the same. As far as getting farmed for RP on LM's, you need to upgrade them past lvl 7 to bring the ratio down to 1:1 (XP:RP). Most will move on as they can undoubtedly find better LM farm opportunities elsewhere in the lvl 3-7 range.

cookie monster
05-08-2012, 10:41 PM

People sell buildings to make space but if you make a lot of money space upgrades aren't a problem so you don't necessarily have to clear out all your old buildings. I have 2 of every buildin except the really bad pointless ones (which I will come to in a min). I actually use some of the bad buildings as cover to hide other buildings and their level badge. Cover buildings are also good for decoys. Sometimes people rob them but they get nothing from them.

The final reason is that it's good to have lots of buildings including the cheap ones in a large hood because it makes your hood look busy and confusing and you can hide buildings in corners and behind things. Always mix up your buildings and dont arrange the same ones together. People see cash icons in my hood but because there's so much to look at they mostly see the ones over cheap buildings and often miss that in amongst them is a high income building. Anyone cruising for robberies only stops for a few seconds for a first glance to see if it's worth robbing. Only if they spot something good do they look harder for more.

Buildings good for cover/decoys not worth upgrading: Meat Factory, Bagel Shop, Fish Store. I used them for a long time to hide lv10 Houses, Italian Restaurants, Russian Restaurants, French Restaurants. Never been robbed on any of those almost ever because nobody notices them in the jungle of buildings.

Even at levels < 100 it's worth upgrading certain early buildings because nobody ever, ever robs them. The best building to do this with is Italian Restaurant to lv10. I did both of mine around your level. Then I did both Souvenir Shops to lv10 and I have a Pizza Restaurant at lv10 too. Ice Cream Shop is worth upgrading to lv10 too. Souvenir Shop is a good cover building too as its bulky and tall.

There are some buildings that are not worth ever building in the first place but if you did like me in the early days just sell them. They are probably: Chinese Restaurant, Collection Agency (probably the worst), Clothing Store.

I would also never build any 1 Hour buildings. They are expensive to upgrade and waste space while not being useful cover or decoys. They also encourage robbing as you will always have them waiting for collection. Same goes for Laundromats. Totally overrated by everyone here and there are lots of people who rob them for the good respect (not to mention nobody is making anywhere near as much money as they think from them).

The only buildings I will probably sell that I did upgrade is Warehouse, to make space for the next big 8x8 I don't have. Maybe my next Nightclub and then eventually The late game buildings. Warehouse offers no cover, takes a lot of space, upgrades are expensive and terrible investments.

The "cover" argument is silly. I think any player with a brain figures out very fast to look for buildings with hidden numbers and knows which buildings are which based on their appearances. Let's be honest if most of your buildings are lvl 7 or above do you honestly think people aren't going to jump at your high-value buildings b/c they assume they're a low level? No. The fact that you try to hide them only makes them more enticing to hit.

Dreno33
05-08-2012, 11:07 PM
Jaywalker. How did you space out those columns? I highlighted it and it was highlighted as if you put in columns somehow. How did you do that?

jaywalker
05-08-2012, 11:46 PM
147 758
5,55 %

179 915
21,76 %

147 758
5,55 %

179 915
21,76 %

All the spaces are not neccesary. In my personal economics spreadsheet (where I keep track of progress per week) the table, tr, td etc are in one column, the numbers are formulas in the next column, and th /tr, /td/ etc are in a third column. Makes it easier to edit :)

You can also click on "go advanced", then the top left button (Switch Editor to WYSIWYG Mode), then click Table (bottom left)

Dreno33
05-08-2012, 11:53 PM
this

& you

is
can

so

add

useful
more

Jaywalker

rows(:

you can edit so much. never even noticed that little devil in the corner... haha

ima have fun with this when I create my own guide later on(:

Bala82
05-08-2012, 11:56 PM
didn't know you were making a new guide deno looking forward to it :)

Dreno33
05-09-2012, 12:01 AM
didn't know you were making a new guide deno looking forward to it :)

not for awhile i don't think. maybe like a month. gonna need a CLEAR DISCLAIMER since it'll be economy-based strategies for starters and would obviously include very slow leveling and/or camping

Bala82
05-09-2012, 12:37 AM
Take your time and i like you bullet point style post as it much easier to understand. Just my suggestion :)

gaujla
05-09-2012, 01:43 AM
I'm at level 61 currently, and I've got a couple buildings that I didn't want to build but they were listed as goals namely, the sports bar. It's ridiculously expensive to upgrade for what it pays and even at 1 it pays very little.

My question is if any of the more veteran players have gone through and cleared out any of the buildings that don't make a lot of economic sense?

When you sell a building do you get 50% of face value back?

I sold a lot of lower level buildings and even some I should have kept (like the wholesale warehouse) but since selling those and focusing on upgrading my MTs and Lofts I've gone from 24K/hour (post sell off) to 100K/hour in a matter of weeks.