PDA

View Full Version : Impossible goals. I'm out.

Laurent Amiot
04-29-2012, 11:16 PM
The following may be interpreted as an angry rant. And, it is, in a way.

It's presently 1:45 eastern standard time (New York). In 1 hour 15 minutes, the latest crate event will be completed. I have 8 nuclear warheads, and I just opened another box, only to get yet another worthless unit that sooner or later, I will lose to regular attrition.

It is therefore mathematically impossible for me to reach the fabled 10 nuclear warheads, which would unlock the Falcon Supersonic unit. The first thing which, in my memory, grants a bonus to the Energy production (beyond being Iranian, which my character conveniently is).

"Oh, tough luck, you got 8 out of 10. Suck it up. You obviously should have tried harder". An easy response, to be certain.

Except I couldn't.

-I have begun participating in this event ever since the second hour it started. It was practically impossible for me to act more quickly.
-I have meticulously managed my energy reserves to ensure that every single hour cycle when the box opening opportunity would open, I would have enough energy to accomplish enough missions to drop a box loot.
-I have flawlessly managed my boxes to minimize loss of them, by making sure I never had more than one of them in my inventory.
-Every single box I have opened, I did so paying, using the crowbar, maximizing the odds of positive drops, and to minimize the impact of a failed box opening, which would place a single box as a possible target of raids.
-I have spent 20$ of my own money to purchase in-game gold, and this gold was exclusively used to acquire more energy to complete missions and acquire boxes, or to have a 100% success rate on box opening.
-I have downloaded approximately 40 applications from TapJoy as an additional source of Gold revenue, and this gold was also spent entirely to the objective of improving the odds of getting nuclear warheads.

Not only was my behaviour perfect as a player that would play for free, but I, in fact, spent actual money to further improve my odds. There were no mistakes, there was nothing further I could have done to improve my odds of success.

In spite of that, I have failed. There is no way left for me to gain the extremely important unit.

Other players, however, do not appear as they will have such difficulties. I have spotted numerous players with absurd quantities of premium units in their inventories. One particular player, for example, had 7 intercontinental ballistic love missiles (from the valentines event). That player had three times the attack and defense value of any other player I had ever seen in the game, and I've quickly calculated the effective cost to accumulate so much gold to be worth more than 10,000 US$.

This player was reported, as other players, to the support staff as an obvious cheater. The ticket was responded as acknowledged. And two weeks later, I see that these players have not been banned.

I understand the prerogative of Funzio to generate revenue through their games. Not only is income the only way the company can, in fact, remain in business, but also it is a private company, and private companies are not out for some altruistic lofty goals of saving the orphans from zombie nazis. They exist to make a profit. And that is the system by which most modern societies operate.

My objection, however, is this insulting carrot and stick approach, that promises the possibility of some great goal, but actually leaves you no realistic method by which to attain such goals.

I have made no mistake. I have performed to the absolute best possible a player which does not wish to invest his own money possibly could.

And in fact, I went above and beyond the behaviour of a regular player, and helped Funzio attain their financial goals by investing my own money into the hopes of reaching a goal they offered.

Ultimately, it was a lie.

What I see now is that there are really only two possible ways of attaining these lofty objectives. The first is to invest more money, and by that I mean an absurd sum of money into what ends being nothing more than numbers on a screen that steadily go up.

The second option is to cheat, which apparently has not been considered a problem to the Funzio staff, despite extremely clear evidence of foul play.

For these reasons, I, as a consumer of Funzio products, have had enough.

I have enough of being tricked into believing I have a chance to reach my goals.
I have enough of feeling the only way of attaining anything worthwhile is by investing money to crush other, deserving players.
I have enough of seeing my ethical and lawful behaviour placed with the same importance as cheaters and those who would exploit these numbers in unfair manners.

I've had a great deal of pleasure playing both Modern War and the new (and painfully buggy) Kingdom Age. I even reached the impressive level of 102 in Modern War, a reality which I take pride in. I invested more than a hundred dollars of my money over the past year. I was, for all intents and purposes, a good customer.

But I don't feel Funzio deserves my money anymore.

I've had enough of being played the fool.

I'm deleting my Modern War application. I'm also going to delete my Kingdom Age application. And I will not install any further programs from Funzio, nor invest a single penny further.

We vote through our wallets.

And I've had enough of being taken for a faceless bank account.

I'm concluding this rant with an important reminder. It's one message to delete a program. But those you are angry with cannot improve unless they are told where they went wrong.

Juniper

LeBarticus
04-29-2012, 11:35 PM
Well, I got to 9 warheads during this event, spent 30 gold total to reset the timer. I'm happy with my 4 indestructible units this event has allowed me to achieve. Obviously you want the grand prize, but it is chance, a gamble, which is why you can't depend on getting 10. I decided to instead use my gold to get 3 crates to make sure that I got return for it. And I got a rare, so I'm happy about that too. You have to look at it like its a lucky bonus, if you do in fact make it to ten. Self control. Your ID wants you to spend money and reset the timer/ use the blowtorch to get #10, but you have to listen to your superego, telling you what you should do instead. It's just a game, man.

Hellstorm
04-30-2012, 12:24 AM
You'll always find unstable people complaining about life, school, work and even modern war. It's ironic...

Dreno33
04-30-2012, 12:27 AM
I stopped reading after the first line.

The following may be interpreted as an angry rant. And, it is, in a way.

good thing, too. i hate reading! lol

Sepi
04-30-2012, 04:47 AM
Well, I got to 9 warheads during this event, spent 30 gold total to reset the timer. I'm happy with my 4 indestructible units this event has allowed me to achieve. Obviously you want the grand prize, but it is chance, a gamble, which is why you can't depend on getting 10. I decided to instead use my gold to get 3 crates to make sure that I got return for it. And I got a rare, so I'm happy about that too. You have to look at it like its a lucky bonus, if you do in fact make it to ten. Self control. Your ID wants you to spend money and reset the timer/ use the blowtorch to get #10, but you have to listen to your superego, telling you what you should do instead. It's just a game, man.

Well spoken, LeBarticus. In the end these events are games of chance and luck, and may cause severe addiction and frustration reactions similar to gambling if you fail to meet the criteria, ie. winning the main prize. Some have used Gold more or less, some have not, and both types of players have won the prizes in previous events. Donīt spend more than you can afford, and expect nothing. :) Thatīs how I roll, with zero stress. :)

Maverick50727
04-30-2012, 06:44 AM
The events do give the "free" players the chance for indestructible units, so nobody should really complain there. I like them but I have yet to get the 10th using the mediium chance all the time. In fact I was on 8 the 2nd day of the event and I never made it to 9 (54 attempts =31 fails, 23 opens past the point I had 8 nukes). Disappointed but not stressed, rantingm or losing sleep.

Do what you feel is right. At least as you stated, you had fun and that is the important thing. The cost of gold was a choice and yours alone to make. I fully understand as I'm a free player too for now and if/when I do spend real money I draw the line at $100 for any game unless I win the lottery.

The only thing I see wrong is that you stated a person is a cheater because they spent $10,000 real money. No that doesn't make them a cheater in the eyes of Funzio, but a better paying customer. There are some that have spent $20-30,000 of real money on this game possible more, but that is the highest I've seen yet. IMO I like a challenge and would never buy my strength to that extent, but that is a choice of the big spenders to do so as they wish.

bigflan
04-30-2012, 06:47 AM
It happens after every event yawn this is so old

Maverick50727
04-30-2012, 07:26 AM
It happens after every event yawn this is so old
It seems to happen even outside of that. When trying to do my valor goals yesterday at L120 I found 5 people in my rivals list who had sold off their entire bases and quit. When you see those, there are often nice comments on the walls. Not sure if Funzio removes these dead accounts at some point, but I'm starting to see more and more of them. I wonder on some of the others if they are active or idle.

Poopenshire
04-30-2012, 07:31 AM
It seems to happen even outside of that. When trying to do my valor goals yesterday at L120 I found 5 people in my rivals list who had sold off their entire bases and quit. When you see those, there are often nice comments on the walls. Not sure if Funzio removes these dead accounts at some point, but I'm starting to see more and more of them. I wonder on some of the others if they are active or idle.

is that becuase of the events, the leve they achieved, or were they just too busy to play? i am curious just to know, I don't want to start a discussion.

mickymacirl
04-30-2012, 07:45 AM

I'd can say I've seen a good few players like that lately too, maybe it's because I'm leveling up.

Maverick50727
04-30-2012, 08:03 AM
is that becuase of the events, the leve they achieved, or were they just too busy to play? i am curious just to know, I don't want to start a discussion. Of the ones I've seen they are feed up with attacks from gold players and not being able to compete mostly. I'm surprised it takes people they long to realize they never be #1 and win against people who spend more money than them. I have yet to see one quit for being too busy. I have only seen one post on their wall saying they quit due to the events. But that may happen at lower levels. I assume the higher level people have a vested interest in the game and won't quit over not getting items in events.

Crime City Mark
04-30-2012, 08:14 AM
"This player was reported, as other players, to the support staff as an obvious cheater. The ticket was responded as acknowledged. And two weeks later, I see that these players have not been banned."

Probably because they're not cheating.

mickymacirl
04-30-2012, 08:24 AM
"This player was reported, as other players, to the support staff as an obvious cheater. The ticket was responded as acknowledged. And two weeks later, I see that these players have not been banned."

Probably because they're not cheating.

Yep, some people spend a lot of money.

Might have been an idea to let the reporter know that the person they are referring to has been checked out and confirmed as a valid player.

ShawnBB
04-30-2012, 08:26 AM
Of the ones I've seen they are feed up with attacks from gold players and not being able to compete mostly. I'm surprised it takes people they long to realize they never be #1 and win against people who spend more money than them. I have yet to see one quit for being too busy. I have only seen one post on their wall saying they quit due to the events. But that may happen at lower levels. I assume the higher level people have a vested interest in the game and won't quit over not getting items in events.

Thanks for the info Mav. I actually saw a couple of strong guys who whipped my ass quit after event too.
They sold all the money buildings, leave the defense ones and 40000+ stats there,lol.

Well, the original passion of playing this game starts to influence players significantly at late game.
You have to go for the purpose of base build, otherwise dont even download this game.:)

mickymacirl
04-30-2012, 08:28 AM
Well said Shawn

Buggs1a
04-30-2012, 12:09 PM
You'll always find unstable people complaining about life, school, work and even modern war. It's ironic...

He is not unstable, but right.

Agent Orange
04-30-2012, 12:41 PM
is that becuase of the events, the leve they achieved, or were they just too busy to play? i am curious just to know, I don't want to start a discussion.

No it is because there isn't much to do once past L100 other than attacking each other for valour goals which get increasingly more difficult. That coupled with the fact that most people will loose more expensive units than they will ever hope to regain pretty much seals it.

Those that are quitting are probably fairly weak so they were getting hammered by everyone and their dog/cat/parrot/fish which gets rather disheartening after a while. Factor in that they are probably getting raided so frequently that they don't stand a chance of saving cash to do anything and you can see how futile it is.

LeBarticus
04-30-2012, 12:47 PM
Well spoken, LeBarticus. In the end these events are games of chance and luck, and may cause severe addiction and frustration reactions similar to gambling if you fail to meet the criteria, ie. winning the main prize. Some have used Gold more or less, some have not, and both types of players have won the prizes in previous events. Donīt spend more than you can afford, and expect nothing. :) Thatīs how I roll, with zero stress. :)

Exactly Dude! This game can be a serious addiction. You just have to step back and look at the big picture once in a while and relax a bit lol

Dreno33
04-30-2012, 01:15 PM
haha I have a feeling the devs get frustrated with this topic of people assuming. CCM, I would not blame, nor be surprised if you had a sarcastic tone of voice running through your head when you posted that post in this thread. haha

Maverick50727
04-30-2012, 01:19 PM
No it is because there isn't much to do once past L100 other than attacking each other for valour goals which get increasingly more difficult. That coupled with the fact that most people will loose more expensive units than they will ever hope to regain pretty much seals it.

Those that are quitting are probably fairly weak so they were getting hammered by everyone and their dog/cat/parrot/fish which gets rather disheartening after a while. Factor in that they are probably getting raided so frequently that they don't stand a chance of saving cash to do anything and you can see how futile it is.
Yes the 5 that I saw the other day stated they had enough of being hammered by whales. I don't remember their exact stats but were in the 30-40k attack range. I don't know if they bought units as they sold off though.

The reason why they got hammered is section 2 of your signature. LOL

Agent Orange
04-30-2012, 01:35 PM
Yes the 5 that I saw the other day stated they had enough of being hammered by whales. I don't remember their exact stats but were in the 30-40k attack range. I don't know if they bought units as they sold off though.

The reason why they got hammered is section 2 of your signature. LOL

Yup it's getting pretty bad up here, I think we will see a lot more players quit soon and if the PvP ratings come out half baked I think that will seal the fate of the game at least in the high levels.

The game is a lot of fun in the lower levels but once you get to the top tier unless you join an alliance you are pretty much toast.

So how to fix this? Not sure it may be too late in some cases. But perhaps expand the number of allies past the 500 limit at L100? May help some folks to bring more units to battle, may also blow up the database as it seems over 1000 allies is the kiss of death right now as many of my friends are having their ally lists go boom.

Anyhow not much to do now.

VioletDuex
06-19-2012, 08:07 AM
Still going to play - just not spend money!!! I am level 73 & level 115 & up are hammering me. It was suggested I camp for a while. How is this done? Do I just level up buildings w/ rent money & not use hero energy?

Lordsloss
06-19-2012, 09:18 AM
I just got the Assault Bear, and I didn't use any gold. I'm a level 117 and I buy the 50% option every time. It's not impossible, just supposed to be challenging. There is still over a day left and I already got my 10 warheads.

War Priest
06-19-2012, 09:33 AM
I remember the days where we all posted something like this. :p

Now those who have played events more than twice know if you don't get ten just to suck it up.

marebear
06-19-2012, 09:41 AM
The 5 stages of Events ending without 101. Denial: An immediate reaction to the situation; how can it happen? It's not possible? Is this for real? I opened boxes every hour on the hour getting no sleep. 2. Anger: How could this happen to me, how dare this happen, it's not fair, it's not right, etc. How dare Funzio only give me a few free indestructible units. I wanted 10 free units. 3. Depression: Where the reality of the loss sinks in and feelings of incredible sadness, despair and grief set in. I was so close to getting that cool unit. 4. Bargaining: Where you console yourself about the loss, by remembering what else you have to live for. I still have my elite base heavy, and a great iph!!5.Acceptance: I guess I'll get over not getting it this time, but next time.....

Hello Kitty
06-19-2012, 09:46 AM
The 5 stages of Events ending without 101. Denial: An immediate reaction to the situation; how can it happen? It's not possible? Is this for real? I opened boxes every hour on the hour getting no sleep. 2. Anger: How could this happen to me, how dare this happen, it's not fair, it's not right, etc. How dare Funzio only give me a few free indestructible units. I wanted 10 free units. 3. Depression: Where the reality of the loss sinks in and feelings of incredible sadness, despair and grief set in. I was so close to getting that cool unit. 4. Bargaining: Where you console yourself about the loss, by remembering what else you have to live for. I still have my elite base heavy, and a great iph!!5.Acceptance: I guess I'll get over not getting it this time, but next time.....Bahaha! Classic marebear.

Add to anger: But I spent all that gold opening boxes, I deserve the prize!
Add to bargaining: at least I picked up that rare in the crates instead of paying for resets or opens!

marebear
06-19-2012, 09:49 AM
Hahaha awesome kitty!!

Osy
06-19-2012, 04:03 PM
I disagree with #5. Haven't heard of anyone who would 'accept'. Many ceased to try and are happier with four units.

azy
06-19-2012, 05:15 PM
In other news, scientists are now pretty sure that life is unfair.

Poopenshire
06-19-2012, 05:16 PM
As a scientist I am 100% sure I don't care!

War Priest
06-19-2012, 05:25 PM
I didn't even read this thread and knew what it was about. Crying doesn't make it better as most of have already learned.

Fazhang
06-20-2012, 05:46 AM
The events do give the "free" players the chance for indestructible units, so nobody should really complain there. I like them but I have yet to get the 10th using the mediium chance all the time. In fact I was on 8 the 2nd day of the event and I never made it to 9 (54 attempts =31 fails, 23 opens past the point I had 8 nukes). Disappointed but not stressed, rantingm or losing sleep.

Do what you feel is right. At least as you stated, you had fun and that is the important thing. The cost of gold was a choice and yours alone to make. I fully understand as I'm a free player too for now and if/when I do spend real money I draw the line at $100 for any game unless I win the lottery.

The only thing I see wrong is that you stated a person is a cheater because they spent $10,000 real money. No that doesn't make them a cheater in the eyes of Funzio, but a better paying customer. There are some that have spent $20-30,000 of real money on this game possible more, but that is the highest I've seen yet. IMO I like a challenge and would never buy my strength to that extent, but that is a choice of the big spenders to do so as they wish.
Same here, on the last event I had 9 for about 4 days.. Never got the final unit... It was a sad week haha

SuperTP
06-20-2012, 11:36 AM
the drop rate on the crates for the events in MW are simply too low, in CC they are MUCH higher if they were just tweaked a bit i imagine the complaints would slow down and some people would feel a little better with their missed chances and that glorious 10th item. but meh, i dont make the game and i dont spend much on it so it is what it is