PDA

View Full Version : Discussing Strategies for Playing the Events

AppleMacGuy
04-28-2012, 02:00 AM
Someone on another thread asked what my strategy for events was and someone replied that it was not really a strategy. Well, I got to thinking about it morning, and actually you could say there are a number of ways you can play the events. So, there are strategies that can be chosen. As I've now completed 6 of them and attained the end item one way or the other, I thought it make for a intersting discussion - I don't think there's been a proper thread about it before?

I reckon you can approach events in a number of ways if plan on trying to get the 10th item:

1) open using cash option throughout, no gold whatsoever - relying on pure lady luck
2) open using cash option initially, switch to using gold once you've acquired 7 or 8 since we all know the last 2 are hard to obtain - trying to increase your luck
3) open using cash option initially, then in the last few hours, assuming you have got between 7-9 and start using gold to open and the reset gold option also - trying to increase your luck a bit more
4) open using 100% option using gold from the start and hope that you get all 10 before the end of the event - maximising your luck from the start
5) open using 100% option using gold from the start and hope that you get all 10 before the end of the event, and if not then start using the reset gold option also - desperate measures

If you're a free player then you'll go with option 1 only. So, cash players can choose from any of options 2-5. I have tried all of the cash options described above.

I've never used option 1 as the odds are heavily stacked against me getting a lucky break. My experience has been that 4 has worked well for me twice. I've also options 3 and 5 and both of those worked out as expensive choices costing 3-4 times more gold than option 4 but I did get the result.

I'll continue with option 4 for future events and see how the 'strategy' pans out.

It would be great to hear the experiences and opinions of others posted in this thread. Thanks.

Ghost818
04-28-2012, 02:05 AM
Started off with 2 gold 2 cash, got to 6 them got stuck for a bit. Got 7th with cash ten you posted you got the 10th I went pure gold now didn't get 8 till 1 hour ago.

procsyzarc
04-28-2012, 02:18 AM
I have been pretty lucky so far with events, on 8/10 without gold on this one and have the final item from the previous 5 events.

My stratagy has alway been open as many as possible (I won't set an alarm but if I can get tomy iPad I will open one) using in game cash option till the last day, this usually gets me to 9 or twice so far 10 then on the last day I will use gold to open, by the end if i really want the item I will reset and gold open ( came to this twice)

deuces
04-28-2012, 02:35 AM
Close to exactly the same as procsyzarc. Except that i set hourly alarms when im near my ipad otherwise i'd miss it by an hour or more more of the time :D whoops

I've gotten 2 with strictly luck opening 12-15 per day, and 2 opening 12-15 per day and a bit of gold. No gold until the last day, and if im at 9 or possibly 8 depending on the item i'll use gold to open and a rush at the end if needed.

Burner was the one i didnt get, and i just decided off of peoples experiences and my bad luck so far it wasnt worth the gold i'd have to spend on it. I finished the event with 7, and the other 4 with 10. I've spend around 600 gold on events i think, and am at 8 on this one with 3 days to go. Looking promising again! Hope this isnt the one i get really frustrated on.

Hank
04-28-2012, 02:45 AM
I originally said that using the crowbar option exclusively wasn't really a "strategy" because IMO, There is nothing strategic about it. It's just one of the methods they gave us to open the crates. Don't get me wrong, it's a very effective method for getting the 10th item. But I was trying to emphasize that I only considered it a method for opening crates as opposed to one of the other "strategies" that others had brought up in the past like where you try to only farming crates from high energy jobs only or keeping a low number of crates you to improve the success rate. I don't think any strategy can really work other than just opening as boxes as you can since its all based on dumb luck. What I have been doing is using the cage option until near the end and then using gold to open every hour when I feel it's getting close to the end.

kaz
04-28-2012, 02:52 AM
To be honest, I spent gold (a lot) on the Emerald event, and since then I’m not using gold anymore on events, only cash.
The emerald event really traumatized me.

Jill
04-28-2012, 03:13 AM
Like kaz the emerald event was 100% gold and I was lucky to get 9 and that has stopped me using gold throughout since. I got the dice using gold in the last few hours, but that didn't work in the last event for me. The common word is LUCK and you just have to accept that.

I Think you really have to maximise the number you open from 8th to the 10th and hope you get a large slice of luck on your side.

AppleMacGuy
04-28-2012, 03:47 AM
I originally said that using the crowbar option exclusively wasn't really a "strategy" because IMO, There is nothing strategic about it. It's just one of the methods they gave us to open the crates. Don't get me wrong, it's a very effective method for getting the 10th item. But I was trying to emphasize that I only considered it a method for opening crates as opposed to of the other "strategies" that others had brought up in the past like where you try to only farming crates from high energy jobs only or keeping a low number of crates you to improve the success rate. I don't think any strategy can really work other than just opening as boxes as you can since its all based on dumb luck. What I have been doing is using the cage option until near the end and then using gold to open every hour when I feel it's getting close to the end.

Yes, in a nut shell the 'strategy' is indeed that we need to open as many boxes as possible. But, using the middle option to achieve this is prohibitive since the open rate only averages around 40% at best, often nearer 30%. Of course, thanks sucks! Hence, the only alternative is reliance on the 100% open option...

AppleMacGuy
04-28-2012, 03:48 AM
Like kaz the emerald event was 100% gold and I was lucky to get 9 and that has stopped me using gold throughout since. I got the dice using gold in the last few hours, but that didn't work in the last event for me. The common word is LUCK and you just have to accept that.

I Think you really have to maximise the number you open from 8th to the 10th and hope you get a large slice of luck on your side.

Yes, between 8 and 10 is the critical range.

white frog
04-28-2012, 04:21 AM
It would be nice if there was a fourth option: to use RP. I know that RP is extremely valuable, and for some events, it would be more worthwhile to spend on those all-precious items from the store, but for me (I've been crawling for a few levels, and have a few thousand RP saved up) it would be a logical option for a couple of the lvl 10 awards.

AppleMacGuy
04-28-2012, 04:53 AM
It would be nice if there was a fourth option: to use RP. I know that RP is extremely valuable, and for some events, it would be more worthwhile to spend on those all-precious items from the store, but for me (I've been crawling for a few levels, and have a few thousand RP saved up) it would be a logical option for a couple of the lvl 10 awards.

Yes, why not? An interesting idea...

Matthew91188
04-28-2012, 06:06 AM
I used option 2 This event but only because I had no plans on buying gold until I saw the 80% sale. Determined it was worthwhile to use gold hourly instead of wasting it on resets. I think option 2 or 4 is the best. I got I think 6 in the first 36 hours with cash open, then other 4 in 24 hours using gold open each time. Total gold spent... 300

Whoopdido1980
04-28-2012, 08:46 AM
I would love to be able to use RP. I have about 40,000 saved up and don't plan on spending any of it until Funzio releases new RP weapons. I'd most likely spend RP on events though. Good idea.

Does Funzio ever use any of the ideas thrown out in this forum? I'm sure some of the suggestions are simply impossible but I have to believe this would be an extremely easy thing for Funzio to introduce.

Plus, if players use up all their RP, many would probably buy crates or just actual gold weapons to make up for the items they lost out on because they spent their RP. It's win/win.

Brooklyn Boy
04-28-2012, 12:13 PM
In The first 2 events I had no strategy at all ending with 7 and 8 respectively. Events 3,4,5 and 6 I have used the same system. 2 cash opens and then a gold then repeat. 3,4 and 5 have resulted in 10/10 wins. I'm sitting at 9/10 right now hopefully getting my tenth painting soon, although I got to 10 quicker in the previous 3 events. Hoping 10 comes soon.

Just got # 10 on a cash opening! And the streak goes on!