PDA

View Full Version : Crime City in the Classroom

iteachem
04-27-2012, 08:09 PM
Yes really...

Okay, here is the story. I am doing this project with one of my classess. In their math class they have been learning about ratios and proportions, so I am having them research historical buildings/landmarks and scale them down, with a goal of building a physical 3D model (pyramids, stonehenge, skysc****rs etc.)

I was introducing/setting up the lesson with examples of how model builders, architects, etc use the ratios in their work and was trying to think of other examples to give the kids some meaning to the lesson and a reason to invest their energy into it. As we were discussing it, one of my students mentioned video games...

So I pulled out my ipad and put it on the doc camera. I showed them my hood and the buildings I have purchased. I used this as an example of where the game designers were interested in the asthetics rather than correctly scaling each building against the other... (the size of the movie theater versus loft etc)...Students were totally curious and we talked about a bunch of the buildings.

Anyway it was a good "hook" to get them interested and give them real life applications of using ratios beyond the simple math class worksheets. Suddenly they had a connection they could relate to and an investment in the lesson.

Nicholost
04-27-2012, 08:19 PM
Rad. Please tell us you robbed someone and then defaced their wall with verbal abuse while their young eyes were watching intently. :D

Boom
04-27-2012, 08:21 PM
Soooo are they playing CC now?

iteachem
04-27-2012, 08:21 PM
Not a chance LOL... Besides my students are more likely to be playing some of the more violent games out there and think Crime City is kinda bland since there is no blood and gore.

iteachem
04-27-2012, 08:22 PM
Soooo are they playing CC now?

Who knows.. made sure not to show them my user name.. Thats why I used the doc camera rather than directly hooking up the ipad to the projector.

Boom
04-27-2012, 08:26 PM
Would it be creepy if u were my teacher...? But I highly doubt it anyways..

iteachem
04-27-2012, 08:29 PM
Would it be creepy if u were my teacher...? But I highly doubt it anyways..

hehe...i am sure I would recognize someone who speaks of monkeys so much....

bigflan
04-27-2012, 08:31 PM
Isn't asthetics science?

iteachem
04-27-2012, 08:36 PM
Isn't asthetics science?

This class isn't actually a science class... I have one math class that works like an applications class. So i try to take what they are learning in the core math class and come up with real life applications. They usually have a science/tech bent to them as well. So the asthetics piece fits into the whole evaluation piece, but the real goal I had was to show them that although the buildings were visually well designed, a consistent scale isn't being used in the building design.

Nicholost
04-27-2012, 08:44 PM
... but the real goal I had was to show them that although the buildings were visually well designed, a consistent scale isn't being used in the building design.

You should have had a parallel goal of showing them what completing a Thug Life feels like. I seriously think you missed out. I mean, this is ColoRADo after all; 49th in funding. (Or is that just JeffCo?) :p

iteachem
04-27-2012, 08:46 PM
You should have had a parallel goal of showing them what completing a Thug Life feels like. I seriously think you missed out. I mean, this is ColoRADo after all; 49th in funding. (Or is that just JeffCo?) :p

I teach in a school where I have to cover the technology with plastic tarps when it snows because of the roof leaks... Don't get me started about funding...

Dreno33
04-27-2012, 09:07 PM
iteachem, what grade level?

iteachem
04-27-2012, 09:14 PM
iteachem, what grade level?

6th thru 8th

Dreno33
04-27-2012, 09:24 PM
6th thru 8th

Do you like life science?? b/c IMO, life science is the most useful science of the four sciences taught until college (life, bio, chem, and physics) and I was very fortunate to have a teacher ranked in the top 50 of all of CA teachers!(: She was such a great teacher.

Anyways, you seem like you're a great teacher in that you care for your students in understanding CONCEPTS (not just definition after definition), you seem very kind and can communicate well, and that students actually respect you (b/c most students tend to not like teachers of course). Have you considered life science? Its seems to be (as i said IMO) the most referenced and worthy science to have background knowledge of.

I hate studying, not my thing. But I pay attention. Freshman year was the last year of my laziness before getting my sh** together with school. I would always be getting Cs. But not life science. That STUCK with me, b/c of the teacher. and I am so grateful for that b/c what I learned is the science I have have referenced and *used?* the most in my life, if you know what I mean. Just curious what your thoughts are on that.

i need muney
04-27-2012, 09:45 PM
There goes lunch money!

iteachem
04-27-2012, 10:02 PM
Do you like life science?? b/c IMO, life science is the most useful science of the four sciences taught until college (life, bio, chem, and physics) and I was very fortunate to have a teacher ranked in the top 50 of all of CA teachers!(: She was such a great teacher.

Anyways, you seem like you're a great teacher in that you care for your students in understanding CONCEPTS (not just definition after definition), you seem very kind and can communicate well, and that students actually respect you (b/c most students tend to not like teachers of course). Have you considered life science? Its seems to be (as i said IMO) the most referenced and worthy science to have background knowledge of.

I hate studying, not my thing. But I pay attention. Freshman year was the last year of my laziness before getting my sh** together with school. I would always be getting Cs. But not life science. That STUCK with me, b/c of the teacher. and I am so grateful for that b/c what I learned is the science I have have referenced and *used?* the most in my life, if you know what I mean. Just curious what your thoughts are on that.

I was a Biochemist before I jumped into teaching. Worked 7 years in research laboratories and even got myself published a few times. So I am more of a Life Science and Chemistry guy. With my background, I was placed in AP Science Classes during my student teaching and hated it. There seemed to be a lack of "fun" in the classes and everything was about a damn test. Middle school, however, is a different animal and I totally love it.

In Colorado, the new Common Core Standards have each year getting Life/Physical/Earth with each year building on it, so in say 7th Grade you will range from Human Anatomy to Plate Tectonics. As a Teacher I find this quite fun as I truly love all science and have a blast jumping to different areas in the same year.

As far as which science I gravitate to more... Well Life Science seems to make sense in general since much is observable and understandable. For most students, this is definately their science of choice. I think I tend to like Earth Science more right now because of the ability for me to learn something new each year. Yet the abstractness of Physical Science is extremely fascinating as well. So no real preference, just more of a open mind to discover.

Biggest piece of advice though... Science classes should make students want to learn why. They should ignite a curiousity to figure out problems...if not somethings not right..

Dreno33
04-27-2012, 10:07 PM
When I said life science I meant EARTH science. In HS, the class was called Life Science (we did cover a little bit i guess but mainly think it was a typo, haha) and everyone just started saying life science. Stupid misunderstanding keeps making me say life instead of earth

xclusiv
04-28-2012, 05:06 AM
your a teacher wow, lol thanks pretty cool

Max Power
04-28-2012, 07:32 AM
iteachem, I am jealous. I am at a stage in life where I would love to make the last career change and what you are doing sounds awesome.

I remember a history teacher in 8th grade. He was first and foremost a story teller. He took history, and he changed it into factually accurate stories that middle schoolers could get engaged in. He was by far the most popular teacher in the school, and students couldn't wait to get into his class every day. It didn't even seem like school, it seemed like fun.

You touched on that with your Crime City display. I bet a good number of students went home and talked about it later, and that the hour flew by. That, to me, is the key to teaching.

iteachem
04-28-2012, 08:03 AM
iteachem, I am jealous. I am at a stage in life where I would love to make the last career change and what you are doing sounds awesome.

Well the pays not too good, but the rewards are amazing... I have students who are graduating college now and coming back to see me... Its an awesome feeling to be a part of their lives

You touched on that with your Crime City display. I bet a good number of students went home and talked about it later, and that the hour flew by. That, to me, is the key to teaching.

Thank you so much Max... I do a lot of really stupid stuff in class and the students are constantly in hysterics. There is a method to my madness as there is a lot of research linking learning to experience. I have this whole skit on the digestive system where we act out each piece and we can barely get through it without losing it. Whatever I do I try to link it to something meaningful in their lives so that it becomes more than just factual information.

I would love to say I am an amazing teacher, but I have seen a lot who better than me..but I feel I do a pretty good job and am always learning how to do things differently as well...