PDA

View Full Version : "Epic" Goals

Ramshutu
04-26-2012, 03:53 PM
I'm getting a bit tired of these events. My reasons are simply:

1.) I play mainly on an iPad, and I automatically get 8 opens a day (on weekdays) less than play on an iPhone.
2.) if I spend gold, I want my investment to be proportional to the rewards. If someone spends 2x as much, they should be 2x better off. With the law of averages, these events require a significant pay in to get a significant reward. Less than that gets you almost nothing.

Saying that, however, this is not what I wanted to talk about. I want to make a suggestion to help resolve this, maybe.

As we know, PvE, and current goals are pretty boring and most are pointless. There aren't many goals that take more than a few hours of effort to complete.

I want to suggest the massive benefit that can be gained with Epic Goals.

The idea behind this, is a sequence of goals, that require a big investment in time and cash, that net a big reward at the end. To allow gold players to rightly gain advantage, sub tasks in these goals can be sped up using a reasonable investment of gold. The Epic goals themselves can play out a storyline that could be made interesting.

Here is an example of an epic goal sequence to illustrate my point.

"Corner the market."

A west coast colombian Gang currently corners the drugs market on the west coast, run by its elusive leader LFizzle, and her rather large and foreboding enforcer Mark. Your job is to take them out (without getting banned by mentioning them in posts), and take over the trade route.

1.) Gain consensus. Visit 100 mafia members.
2.) Cozy up to the cartel. Raid 5 NPCs around various areas (this can be used to level cap)
3.) Lul them into a false sense of security. Loose $1,000,000 in attacks.
4.) Beg for protection (obtain, and keep 500 mafia)
5.) Gain respect of the cartel. 50,000 RP.
6.) move to the big time . Collect 10 scalps (random drop from attacking players with 5% more defence than your attack)
7.) Tool up. Equip all your mafia with weapons, armour, explosives and cars
8.) watch movements. Visit map location xxxx 10 days in a row, at the same time of day.
9.) take out key men. Take out 10 specific NPCs in different areas in the same day.
10.) trade up the big guns. Collect 100 rusty M4A1s, two level 10 gun shops and 10,000,000 cash on hand, trades in for 50 m4a1
11.) Lure mark into the trap. Find a randomly appearing Mark on some random map, and kill him (may require a big buy in, perhaps some form of kryptonite)
12.) steal cartels drugs. Raid 50 level 7 warehouses in 48 hours.
13.) showdown with the leader. Find a fake player in your list, named LFizzle, raiding this player will actually take you to an NPC area where LFizzle is present, take out all body gaurds, and destroy the mob leader.
14.) establish authority. Do not loose a robbery in 1 week.

Reward: Diamond Sig.

Obviously, the above have been simply invented with a minimal amount of thought, and may not be possible, or well balanced, but illustrates something that maybe interesting.

Bruiser
04-26-2012, 03:57 PM
Interesting read...

Joeycool
04-26-2012, 04:13 PM
Great thread. Epic goals would be... epic!

Dravak
04-26-2012, 04:14 PM
The problem is not the The weekly events are boring , the problem is rehersal like this one , with the same crappy rewards aside from the 10th ,

It really shows nothing but ran out of ideas to get people to spent money .
If they added tier 5 7 9 new graphical rewards , even from limited edition items , it would be much more interesting.

Well currently they are struggling to get people up into the payam range , but sadly who is going there to be beaten down all the time ? you know even Bat Bully Co and Fast Eddie etc going to camp .

Sorry they need to get people a lot more attack and defense value , the glitched crates or cheap crates messed up the whole higher levels . removing the M4A1 didn't help either .
But frankly adding those goals doesn't do much when people are bored .
This event I think my heart is not even in it .

Pikachu
04-26-2012, 04:30 PM
Sort of like a "Quest". I like it!

mac daddy
04-26-2012, 05:48 PM
I'd be in for it...

Dipstik
04-26-2012, 06:06 PM
No, what the game needs is a goal, an end date, and an eventual (planned and expected) player wipe. Declare a winner every once in a while and start over. Otherwise the end result will always be boredom and stagnation.

Of course, expecting players to get bored and quit is one way to make sure there's no stagnation, but if you accept that then you've got to realize that there's really no reason to keep us interested. I suspect nothing like this will ever happen. Good idea, but it probably goes against the business model.

Ramshutu
04-27-2012, 07:13 AM
No, what the game needs is a goal, an end date, and an eventual (planned and expected) player wipe. Declare a winner every once in a while and start over. Otherwise the end result will always be boredom and stagnation.

Of course, expecting players to get bored and quit is one way to make sure there's no stagnation, but if you accept that then you've got to realize that there's really no reason to keep us interested. I suspect nothing like this will ever happen. Good idea, but it probably goes against the business model.

With all due respect, that is complete and utter tripe. Only a lunatic or an inbecile would write a business model that intentially dumps people who have a) spent money, b) enjoy your product, c) could be made to spend more.

Stagnation is a problem, but only if new stuff doesn't get added. introducing new features/quests/events/levels/areas milks money from new and old players alike. Stagnation and boredom are pretty much the easiest problem to deal with in an online game, the hard part is dealing with the inherent resource inflation that occurs from continually increasing stats/income etc. Even so, that isn't particularly hard.

mnju_03
04-27-2012, 08:21 AM
I don't care what anybody says Ram... your idea rocked my socks off!

Swifty
04-27-2012, 09:10 AM
+2 Ramshutu

+1 for the original idea
+1 for beating down Dipstik's dumb idea

Brooklyn Boy
04-27-2012, 10:45 AM
The problem is not the The weekly events are boring , the problem is rehersal like this one , with the same crappy rewards aside from the 10th ,

It really shows nothing but ran out of ideas to get people to spent money .
If they added tier 5 7 9 new graphical rewards , even from limited edition items , it would be much

Well currently they are struggling to get people up into the payam range , but sadly who is going there to be
beaten down all the time ? you know even Bat Bully Co and Fast Eddie etc going to camp .

I agree 100%! Couldn't have said it better myself.

Sorry they need to get people a lot more attack and defense value , the glitched crates or cheap crates messed up the whole higher levels . removing the M4A1 didn't help either .
But frankly adding those goals doesn't do much when people are bored .

This event I think my heart is not even in it .

I agree 100%! Couldn't have said it better myself.

Robin Hood
04-27-2012, 11:09 AM
+1 ram

Great post, great idea. Hope @LFizzle is listening ...