PDA

View Full Version : The "What were they thinking" Thread - or WTF?

frenda
04-25-2012, 02:48 PM
Why does the Lumber Mill have a footprint bigger than almost any other building when it barely takes up half the space? I'm just saying...

CJ Sniper
04-25-2012, 02:58 PM
Yeah, all of the building sizes were poorly planned, honestly. How many different building dimensions are there in each kingdom? Maybe 20 different sizes? More?

As somebody who hates wasted space in my kingdoms, that bugged me a great deal that there was so much real estate I couldn't do anything with while I was waiting a day or so before I could expand again.

Njwmrb
04-25-2012, 04:01 PM
The 5th vault upgrade. the 4th upgrade raises the limit from 1600 to 2500, a difference of 900 and a 56% increase. the 5th raises it from 2500 to 3300, a difference of 800 and a 32% increase when it costs 1000 more gold and takes 24 hours longer to upgrade

L Fizzle
04-25-2012, 04:33 PM
Good to know...

NeonBlue
04-25-2012, 04:48 PM
I wondered about an earlier vault upgrade, where the cost of the upgrade was higher than the old vault maximum. It was something like upgrading from 330, and the cost was 400.

It just seems like each vault upgrade should be able to be paid for with vaulted gold. But in that case, I had to save up "exposed" gold, higher than my vault max, in order to pay for the vault upgrade. I haven't noticed any other vault upgrades where this was the case.

Ghost818
04-25-2012, 05:01 PM
I wondered about an earlier vault upgrade, where the cost of the upgrade was higher than the old vault maximum. It was something like upgrading from 330, and the cost was 400.

It just seems like each vault upgrade should be able to be paid for with vaulted gold. But in that case, I had to save up "exposed" gold, higher than my vault max, in order to pay for the vault upgrade. I haven't noticed any other vault upgrades where this was the case.

This is normal, its not always guaranteed the cost will be more than the output.

NeonBlue
04-25-2012, 05:06 PM
Yes, but I'm saying I don't think it should be this way. Just adding my opinion, for them to consider.

Ghost818
04-25-2012, 05:22 PM
Yes, but I'm saying I don't think it should be this way. Just adding my opinion, for them to consider.

It's just how the game works, well at least thats how we have come to accept it.

For example, atm I have around 13K on hand. If I were to use that 13K for an upgrade and it were to output a 13k profit per lets say 1 hour? Doesn't seem too logical. It's meant to be a game to be played long term.

But on the contrary, if they were to accept this, the prices of things were to go up accordingly, and it would turn out to be the same thing. Wouldnt it?

Crime City Mark
04-25-2012, 05:24 PM
Why does the Lumber Mill have a footprint bigger than almost any other building when it barely takes up half the space? I'm just saying...

Known bug, being fixed. We were thinking we'd add a building.

Crime City Mark
04-25-2012, 05:29 PM
The 5th vault upgrade. the 4th upgrade raises the limit from 1600 to 2500, a difference of 900 and a 56% increase. the 5th raises it from 2500 to 3300, a difference of 800 and a 32% increase when it costs 1000 more gold and takes 24 hours longer to upgrade

The total value fluctuates, but generally gets lower over time. I mean, the first upgrade is a 100% increase, and the second upgrade is higher!

frenda
04-26-2012, 08:42 AM

Add a building to that square? The building is off center to the point where it looks like it's in the adjoining square.

Ghost818
04-26-2012, 09:21 AM
Add a building to that square? The building is off center to the point where it looks like it's in the adjoining square.

He means of adding a new building to the game Frenda :D

frenda
04-26-2012, 09:24 AM
I thought he might've meant adding another building to that square to make it more symmetrical or to fill out the space. Thanks Ghost.

Ghost818
04-26-2012, 09:25 AM
I thought he might've meant adding another building to that square to make it more symmetrical or to fill out the space. Thanks Ghost.

No problem :)

omnus
04-26-2012, 10:06 AM

Ie. Opps sorry if you have built and upgraded one, but there will be a new one you can start from scratch on.

How about just changing the footprint to affect current and future lumber mills?? Building can be moved as wanted then.

Njwmrb
04-26-2012, 10:24 AM
The total value fluctuates, but generally gets lower over time. I mean, the first upgrade is a 100% increase, and the second upgrade is higher!

I understand it fluctuates the vault was just more consistent in Modern War, there was never a succeeding upgrade that raised the limit less than the previous one

NeonBlue
04-26-2012, 11:01 AM
Ghost, I'm not sure what suggestion you think I was making, but it doesn't have anything to do with building upgrades. I was speaking purely of vault upgrades (see my original post at #5).

From my (admittedly spotty) memory, most of the vault upgrade costs -- that is, the price we pay to increase the size of the vault -- have been lower than the current size of the vault. Thus, in saving up for the next vault upgrade, we aren't having to have any "exposed" gold -- that is, we can save up for, and pay for, each vault upgrade without ever exceeding our current vault amount.

In one place (that I've seen so far), that wasn't the case. And I found that surprising.

Since we are upgrading our vaults (some of us obsessively), we obviously are concerned about not having exposed gold. And I thought it was a nice touch that the act of upgrading the vault itself didn't require one to have exposed gold. Except for that one upgrade. Which made me think perhaps it was an oversight.

Make sense now?

Ghost818
04-26-2012, 11:12 AM
Ghost, I'm not sure what suggestion you think I was making, but it doesn't have anything to do with building upgrades. I was speaking purely of vault upgrades (see my original post at #5).

From my (admittedly spotty) memory, most of the vault upgrade costs -- that is, the price we pay to increase the size of the vault -- have been lower than the current size of the vault. Thus, in saving up for the next vault upgrade, we aren't having to have any "exposed" gold -- that is, we can save up for, and pay for, each vault upgrade without ever exceeding our current vault amount.

In one place (that I've seen so far), that wasn't the case. And I found that surprising.

Since we are upgrading our vaults (some of us obsessively), we obviously are concerned about not having exposed gold. And I thought it was a nice touch that the act of upgrading the vault itself didn't require one to have exposed gold. Except for that one upgrade. Which made me think perhaps it was an oversight.

Make sense now?

Yes, but I have had exposed gold throughout my whole KA playtime. Atm I have 34K on hand when my limit is 11500, and my upgrade has another 77 hours to go.

Not sure if this answers your question though.

EDIT: Oh, you are talking about the gain you get compared to the price.

My apologies, I thought you were talking about the total limit.

NeonBlue
04-26-2012, 04:29 PM
Oh, you are talking about the gain you get compared to the price.

Nope, that's not what I was talking about.

But never mind. Maybe the devs will understand what I'm saying. I wasn't asking a question, just expressing an opinion. But I'm going to let this rest now.

allhaildiscordia
04-27-2012, 09:41 AM
The vault upgrade times/amounts are complete nonsense. I calculated it would take 80 days to get the vault to the current maximum level of $330,000, which is less money than the level 2 upgrade to the current highest building, the Manor (upgrade $420,000) that opens at level 41.

frenda
04-27-2012, 09:56 AM
The vault upgrade times/amounts are complete nonsense. I calculated it would take 80 days to get the vault to the current maximum level of $330,000, which is less money than the level 2 upgrade to the current highest building, the Manor (upgrade $420,000) that opens at level 41.

+1 I was just thinking the same thing this morning looking at the timer for my current vault upgrade. And as inflated as those times are, I guess I should make that +1000 instead... ;)

Allhail, thanks for the specific numbers. That makes the point much better than I ever could. Hope Funzio will adjust the times for something more realistic.

twchung22
04-27-2012, 10:57 AM

Same with tailor...if you place them on the top edge of the map...half the building is on underdevelopment or area that hasn't been expanded yet.

frenda
04-27-2012, 02:06 PM
You're right. It's annoying when I go to click on the building and the game asks me if I want to expand...

ShawnBB
04-27-2012, 02:45 PM
You're right. It's annoying when I go to click on the building and the game asks me if I want to expand...

:) Just found this interesting thread! hope it's not too late.
Excellent point,mate.
Just look at the cement factory in MW, how beautiful it is compare to this brutal lumber mill...
So is the Tailor, right at the edge of the area it took.

Like ghost said, I constantly have 3 times my vault of cash on hand as well...
IMO,The vault system is just turning into a marginal part of the game,unlike MW. the cost usually need to save over.
Therefore, KA is more violent in PvP and need players to devote more cash in military force in order to protect lots of exposed cash, this game needS more survival skills, don't expect everything to under vault unless you give up income.

So the upgrade cost is actually reasonable to over charge the vault a little bit, as the game itself is in this kinda situation all the time.

askljdhaf4
04-27-2012, 07:34 PM
In crime city and in modern war, when you tap on a building that is upgrading, you have the options to "finish now" or "move," which would allow you to relocate the building even while its upgrading.

In Kingdom Age, you (funzio) did away with the "move" option, and just enhanced the size of the "finish now" button to fill that space.

As someone who plays all 3 games, when i went to move a building that was upgrading to make space for new construction, i tapped on the building that was upgrading and habitually tapped where the "move" button would have normally been... but instead ended up tapping the over sized "finish now" button and blowing currency.

Admittedly this is my own fault for assuming you would mimic that functionality in Kingdom Age, and not notice that you decided to do away with it instead. But being that a good amount of players have complained in all 3 game forums that you do not include a confirmation screen before you spend actual currency, and that you are obviously dead-set on keeping all those buttons "hot" so that anyone can at any time accidentally blow currency they spent REAL money on, I'm just annoyed that you would remove a useful function like that.

Plus now I cant build the new building I want, because i have to wait for the upgrading building to finish before i can move it and open up space.

frenda
04-28-2012, 03:16 PM
Excellent point,mate.
Just look at the cement factory in MW, how beautiful it is compare to this brutal lumber mill...

IMO,The vault system is just turning into a marginal part of the game,unlike MW. the cost usually need to save over.
Therefore, KA is more violent in PvP and need players to devote more cash in military force in order to protect lots of exposed cash, this game needS more survival skills, don't expect everything to under vault unless you give up income.

So the upgrade cost is actually reasonable to over charge the vault a little bit, as the game itself is in this kinda situation all the time.

Great comments Shawn!

Njwmrb
04-28-2012, 09:08 PM
Another problem is the crooked shore line and how awkwardly it lines up with the plots of land. I have bought 3 blocks that intersect with the water and could only build one shipyard

eternalfire
04-28-2012, 11:18 PM
Excellent point,mate.

I'm usually sitting with 2-3k above my vault. Just put some skill points into defense instead of attack/strength :D. I've been playing for 3 days and have yet anyone steal from me :o maybe having a small alliance size helps a lot not getting in radar of the people with 5+ more allies than u.

twchung22
04-28-2012, 11:28 PM
more WTFs

http://i47.tinypic.com/sljtp0.png