PDA

View Full Version : Why some wifi hotspots dont allow cc connections?

richard118
04-25-2012, 05:22 AM
Does anyone have this problem? A few wifi hotspots dont allow crime city to connect and i get a message saying theres no internet. Example i work in a hospital and i cant log into crime city through their network. However i can login at mcdonalds, starbucks, and home fine. Possible ' blocking ' software at work?

any way around this?

Populouspapa
04-25-2012, 05:29 AM
Have you opened up a browse and accepted the TOC(terms of conditions) usually blocked until you do so..
Or the places you've tried only allows port 80/8080. McD works fine for me.

richard118
04-25-2012, 08:24 AM
I have clicked on the toc agreeement and can surf the internet at work but not login to cc. Other games connect fine but not cc which is strange. What is this port 80/8080 u speak of?

I have also deleted cc and reinstalled. Anyone encountered antivirus or filtering software that wont allow connectivity of cc?

sez
04-25-2012, 08:27 AM
Does anyone have this problem? A few wifi hotspots dont allow crime city to connect and i get a message saying theres no internet. Example i work in a hospital and i cant log into crime city through their network. However i can login at mcdonalds, starbucks, and home fine. Possible ' blocking ' software at work?

any way around this?

I work in a Hospital as well and I'm on daily. Do you connect to the "Guest" wireless or to the "Domain Wireless".

Stingray
04-25-2012, 08:58 AM
1. Grab a laptop
2. Connect to wireless network
3. Install WireShark and learn how to use it (will be the most trickiest part)
4. Download some packet generator (there's only like 5 Billions of those applications)
5. Send a "special" packet like 27000
6. If you don't get a response, the the non-generic ports will probably blocked, and so for Crime City (don't know what port crime city uses)

Sorry for nerd-talk, but it's my work...

sez
04-25-2012, 08:59 AM
1. Grab a laptop
4. Download some packet generator (there's only like 5 Billions of those applications)
6. If you don't get a response, the the non-generic ports will probably blocked, and so for Crime City (don't know what port crime city uses)

Network Engineer? CCNA cert?

Stingray
04-25-2012, 09:24 AM
Network Engineer? CCNA cert?

Not yet CCNA. Got my first CCENT a few weeks ago. I'm planning on getting CCNA, but the official exam is kinda hard

richard118
04-25-2012, 09:32 AM
Wow stingray, u lost me at #2. Can i pay u to do it?

richard118
04-25-2012, 09:34 AM
I use "guest" network. But my hospital has this wicked antivirus and antispam software that may be interferring. Its a HIPAA thing.

Stingray
04-25-2012, 09:36 AM
Wow stingray, u lost me at #2. Can i pay u to do it?

Haha i wouldn't want any money for it. But still, i couldn't do it for you. There are a lot Wireless Networks, mostly the free public ones, who only allow web trafic (port 80 and 8080 like mentioned before). If all public wireless networks would be open to allow all kinds of traffic, then there would be massive cyber-terrorism-attacks, and harmfull things could be done withour reveiling your true identity.

The shortest way would just be to ask an employee, but i doubt if an McD employee could give you an answer xD

Populouspapa
04-25-2012, 01:35 PM
Stingray: if he learn wireshark he could just check which port CC uses ;) but its probably faster to use portping/scan.

CC runs over standard http 80.

QPR
04-25-2012, 02:17 PM
1. Grab a laptop

Why would he need to do a tcpip packet sniffing exercise just because his cc doesn't work?

Behave mate!!

QPR
04-25-2012, 02:19 PM
Haha i wouldn't want any money for it. But still, i couldn't do it for you. There are a lot Wireless Networks, mostly the free public ones, who only allow web trafic (port 80 and 8080 like mentioned before). If all public wireless networks would be open to allow all kinds of traffic, then there would be massive cyber-terrorism-attacks, and harmfull things could be done withour reveiling your true identity.

The shortest way would just be to ask an employee, but i doubt if an McD employee could give you an answer xD

Over exaggeration of the century.

Stingray
04-25-2012, 02:53 PM
Over exaggeration of the century.

Like i said, packet sniffing would be overrated for a case like this. I'm just saying that it's one of possibilities.

I allso think your underrating cyber-crime QPR... Cyber crime is not just hacking someones hotmail or MSN...

QPR
04-25-2012, 02:56 PM
Like i said, packet sniffing would be overrated for a case like this. I'm just saying that it's one of possibilities.

I allso think your underrating cyber-crime QPR... Cyber crime is not just hacking someones hotmail or MSN...

Being a ccna myself I think I'm educated enough to make my own decisions, mate.

Stingray
04-25-2012, 03:23 PM
Being a ccna myself I think I'm educated enough to make my own decisions, mate.

Your call. Let's just all be proud we need knowledge about networking to play a game like Crime City

richard118
04-25-2012, 05:39 PM
Man, my head is spinning. First of all, i dont want to lug a laptop to work just so my ipad can connect via some alternate method. I could be accused of tampering with hospital network and at worst be fired.

Maybe i just have to furnish my own travel wifi hotspot. Was hoping solution to be easy.

richard118
04-25-2012, 05:41 PM
If cc indeed runs over standard 80, then i should connect but cant