PDA

View Full Version : Defense Buildings: Their Stats and Effect

MarkyMort
04-21-2012, 01:57 PM
Hey All,

Can anyone explain exactly how the stats of the defense buildings effect game play? I am wondering if defense building only help when you are being raided or if they also help when you are being attacked. They increase the alliance defense score when built but I want to understand more specifically how they contribute to defense. They have a range so that is why I am wondering if they only work for when you get raided for the specific building they are near.

Any info/insight would be greatly appreciated!

War Priest
04-21-2012, 02:00 PM
Whenever you are raided (only raided ) the stats from your defense buildings contributes to your overall defense score for the protected buildings.

MarkyMort
04-21-2012, 02:02 PM
Thanks War Priest!

Tate
04-21-2012, 02:10 PM
Also, as you noted, they Shd be arranged around the base in a way that they protect your money bldgs. When you tap to move one, it will show the effective range of the def. for each building. If you have 2 SAMs near your drilling rig, Within the blue circle, it would have additional def etc.....

StuN
04-21-2012, 02:14 PM
Whenever you are raided (only raided ) the stats from your defense buildings contributes to your overall defense score for the protected buildings.Not sure that's correct WP. If you add a def building, it adds to your overall def stat. If it was just for raids, you wouldn't see it in that stat

War Priest
04-21-2012, 02:19 PM
Not sure that's correct WP. If you add a def building, it adds to your overall def stat. If it was just for raids, you wouldn't see it in that stat

Yeah, I always thought that was weird, but last I knew it was for raids only. Could be wrong though.

overkill 280
04-21-2012, 02:25 PM
Yeah, I always thought that was weird, but last I knew it was for raids only. Could be wrong though.That would be kinda stupid if it was only for raids. How can we know for sure?

MarkyMort
04-21-2012, 02:44 PM
I think it CC it the defense buildings do something like all of their defense stat when being raided and half if the buildings defense stat when being attacked. I could have that wrong though. In CC ios the defense buildings don't have a radius though. So yeah I guess we don't know for sure then?

MarkyMort
04-21-2012, 02:52 PM
Here is the post on the CC defensive building stats... Not sure how closely it relates to MW defensive buidings, but I'm pretty sure it can at least give us a little insight. Because in CC even though you don't get the full stat bonus from the defense buildings when being attacked, the full stats of the defense buildings are added to your total mafia defense score.

War Priest
04-21-2012, 02:58 PM
Here is the post on the CC defensive building stats... Not sure how closely it relates to MW defensive buidings, but I'm pretty sure it can at least give us a little insight. Because in CC even though you don't get the full stat bonus from the defense buildings when being attacked, the full stats of the defense buildings are added to your total mafia defense score.

CC defense buildings are quite different so I don't know if we can go by theirs. I have sent a PM and will know the correct answer when they reply. Last I knew it was just for raids though.

StuN
04-21-2012, 03:05 PM
I completed a rail gun today & my def stats went up by 75. If it was only for raids my stat wouldn't have changed.

War Priest
04-21-2012, 03:08 PM
I completed a rail gun today & my def stats went up by 75. If it was only for raids my stat wouldn't have changed.

That isn't proof that is isn't just for raids.

War Priest
04-21-2012, 03:09 PM
A quick refresh, does defense buildings only protect from raids or both attack and raids?

Just from raids.

Here is your answer gentlemen.

overkill 280
04-21-2012, 03:16 PM
Here is your answer gentlemen.Huh..That's too bad. So just your units help against attacks then? And possibly your skill points, depending on where you put them.

Bronson
04-21-2012, 03:18 PM
Here is your answer gentlemen.

Yeah if AO said it its pretty much gospel

MarkyMort
04-21-2012, 03:20 PM
So I forgot to even post the link to the cc thread about defense building stats. derp. Her it is.

http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthread.php?15058-Effect-of-Def-buildings-and-skill-points-against-rob-atk-by-Guru-Peacock-again..lol

War Priest
04-21-2012, 03:21 PM

Yep. That is for sure.

He is one of the serious ones on here. Just because I joke around a lot doesn't mean I don't know the answer! I know quite a bit about Modern War, just tend to be more OT than ON topic.

War Priest
04-21-2012, 03:21 PM
So I forgot to even post the link to the cc thread about defense building stats. derp. Her it is.

http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthread.php?15058-Effect-of-Def-buildings-and-skill-points-against-rob-atk-by-Guru-Peacock-again..lol

The answer is, defense buildings only protect again RAIDS, not attacks.

Jp lfs
04-21-2012, 03:23 PM
Also, as you noted, they Shd be arranged around the base in a way that they protect your money bldgs.

I'm not arguing against this point, just adding on to it- If you have a Boost Building that you rely on or have upgraded a lot, you might want to protect that as well. Someone who is really out to get you will take those out first to drop your stats and make their following raids easier.

MarkyMort
04-21-2012, 03:24 PM
It kind of makes me not even like defense buildings that much. haha. Even though it doesnt protect against attacks and only raids, I guess it is kind of nice that it adds the number to your total alliance defense score because it makes you look a lot scarier.

MarkyMort
04-21-2012, 03:27 PM
The answer is, defense buildings only protect again RAIDS, not attacks.

Thanks a lot for figuring that out War Priest. I have been wondering that for a while.

EnjoyLife
04-21-2012, 05:18 PM
My experience is that defense buildings help against attacks too. I'm not arguing, but I still continue to believe that it helps.

JohnnyR
04-21-2012, 06:12 PM
The deterrent affect of their numbers on your stats might still have value. I'd like to know how AO comes to this conclusion before settling for that idea in anycase. It makes sense, but the entire defense score is raised. That doeasn't add up.

War Priest
04-21-2012, 06:16 PM
The deterrent affect of their numbers on your stats might still have value. I'd like to know how AO comes to this conclusion before settling for that idea in anycase. It makes sense, but the entire defense score is raised. That doeasn't add up.

It isn't just him that thinks that. It is weird how the total stat rises, but that might not be the actual score we use to defend an attack.

JohnnyR
04-21-2012, 06:22 PM
Well, Speed ump could say it, and I'd still like an explanation, lol. Good point about the score possibly not reflecting what is actually used. CC had a bit of a controversy an uproar over misleading defense stats a while back....we very well might have our own can of worms here to open....

Mcdoc
04-21-2012, 06:25 PM
I think the jury is still out on this one.

War Priest
04-21-2012, 06:26 PM
Well, Speed ump could say it, and I'd still like an explanation, lol. Good point about the score possibly not reflecting what is actually used. CC had a bit of a controversy an uproar over misleading defense stats a while back....we very well might have our own can of worms here to open....

Yeah, this might fall into the catagory with skill points. I don't think we will ever really know.

War Priest
04-21-2012, 06:41 PM
The reason I believe defense buildings only contribute to raids is because it causes more damage to me compaired to attacking. In both MW and KA. I can attack all day but when I raid, I lose units.

Maverick50727
04-21-2012, 07:20 PM

No offense to AO but I totally disagree. If you want an answer you will have to ask a dev. But you won't get a formula or specifics.

The def buildings add to the alliance defense which should be used on all PvP actions. Maybe Crime City Mark can confirm this. How much does vary and IMO dimishes at higher levels. When I was in lower levels and built/upgraded many defense buildings I saw it appeared to affect both raids and attacks against me.

StuN
04-22-2012, 12:19 AM
I initially kept quiet, as I don't want to rub ppl up the wrong way. No offence to AO but I would like to see proof that they don't add to def. why on earth would the figure be added to the def stat if it made no difference? Surely that's the figure you take into battle? Isn't it part of the sum when the game calculates the outcome?

Ducati
04-22-2012, 04:44 AM
As long nowbody knows for sure, I fill my base with all posible defense buildings.
My guess is that they add your total defend points AND protect the near building(s).

EnjoyLife
04-22-2012, 04:53 AM
No offense to AO but I totally disagree. If you want an answer you will have to ask a dev. But you won't get a formula or specifics.

The def buildings add to the alliance defense which should be used on all PvP actions. Maybe Crime City Mark can confirm this. How much does vary and IMO dimishes at higher levels. When I was in lower levels and built/upgraded many defense buildings I saw it appeared to affect both raids and attacks against me.

I saw, and still see, exactly what you wrote. My losses would be much greater if I had no defense buildings, as I have had over $30 million unprotected cash before.

Thunder Child
04-22-2012, 05:01 AM
Personally, I can't see why defense buildings can't be figured into the def. stats BUT only have an effect when defending a raid. It makes sense that the total defensive capability of your base be reflected in the overall defense number, but that does NOT mean that the defense buildings have to come into play when defending an attack - it makes sense to me that my units do this. A raid on the other hand suggests my infrastructure is being hit and threfore my defensive buildings should come into play. The defense number therefore incorporates both, but that is not the same figure which is brought to defend an attack or a raid; the two are different and unknown, especially considering the effects of various boosts and of course the illusive skill points. More than this, I additionally feel that there is a healthy deference element in a certain amount of defensive infrastructure, especially against the inexperienced and uninitiated.....

StuN
04-22-2012, 05:19 AM
In that case TC you might as well have any old number in your stats, because it's pretty meaningless. If I removed the def building totals from my stats I'd have around 500 less, which means I wouldn't be able to hold my own against players with a similar attack skill stats but that's not the case. That's why I'm questioning AO's information. Didn't Hello Kitty's calculations only work when def building stats were worked into the overall def stat?

Agent Orange
04-22-2012, 02:06 PM
Not sure that's correct WP. If you add a def building, it adds to your overall def stat. If it was just for raids, you wouldn't see it in that stat

No defence buildings do not add to your defence statistics in your profile. I just added to one to verify that this is still the case and it is.

They do however help you when your base is raided and as Tate says you should arrange them so that their coverage is optimized. I personally like to overlap their defence patterns. The buildings seem to be more effective in Kingdom Age.

Agent Orange
04-22-2012, 02:13 PM
As long nowbody knows for sure, I fill my base with all posible defense buildings.
My guess is that they add your total defend points AND protect the near building(s).

I think where the confusion comes in is when you are attacked by a rival that is way too powerful. At which point the defence buildings don't really appear to do anything. But when you are close in stats yes they do help.

commandNconquer
04-22-2012, 02:52 PM
AO you sure you really checked out because when i sell a guard tower it removes 2 defense and when i sell a bunker it removes 5

EnjoyLife
04-22-2012, 03:01 PM
AO you sure you really checked out because when i sell a guard tower it removes 2 defense and when i sell a bunker it removes 5

Dunno About him, but when I added all of my defense buildings, they added to my profile's defense score. I am not sure why it is different for him, but apparently it is.

StuN
04-22-2012, 03:22 PM
AO, as I've already said previously. I added a rail gun & my stats went up by 75. I don't mean to be rude but you're wrong, they do add to the figure

Thunder Child
04-22-2012, 03:35 PM
Must respectfully disagree with the Big O, too! Adding a bunker (def. 5) at this stage in my game adds nothing, in the same way that even adding a medic (def. 10) does nothing to my stats. But add a rail gun or even upgrade a fortified bunker, then it definitely adds to the defense stats. The density issue often discussed for units clearly also applies for defensive buildings...

Maverick50727
04-22-2012, 03:54 PM
AO you sure you really checked out because when i sell a guard tower it removes 2 defense and when i sell a bunker it removes 5Yes the def value of the defense building is added to the alliance def stat. I used to do analysis for people all the time and had to add them in to match the numbers. I upgraded a few recently and this is still the case. I think construction needs to complete before the are added. Also you may have to close and reconnect to the server before you see the change sometimes. Also if you are losing units at the same time the loss value might just have been the same. Even if you haven't lost a unit recently you may see your score drop. I have seen sometimes your news feed will say you lost x units but their values are reflected until 30 min or longer afterwards. You need a real static environment to verify sometimes. That is my guess why he doesn't see it or he just needs to close and reconnect.

They do appear to add less value in the upper levels just because people stats are wider apart. The seem to help more if you are attacked by a near equal. I think the def skill along with base defenses can give you the edge.

Aidan
04-22-2012, 03:55 PM
Damn u guys. I was about to sleep but decided to check on the forum n there it is...an interesting discussion on first thread.

Ok. Here is my findings after a few experiments:

My total def score = 42,704

Sold a guard tower (2 def) - went down by 2 = 42,702
Bought 1 medic (10 def) - no change = 42,702
Build back a guard tower (after completion) - went up by 2 = 42,704

So conclusion here:

1) The def building does add to total def score.
2) Army density is not a factor. U can have a density as high as 100 but if u add a 2 defence guard tower, ur total def score will go up by 2.

Edit:
IMO def buildings do come into play for all PVP action. Reason why people think it's worthless is if the person greatly overpower u. Say the person has 20,000 more attck thm ur def, having 5 lvl 10 railgun wont make any difference. U still going to lose both attack n raid.

Agent Orange
04-22-2012, 03:56 PM
Must respectfully disagree with the Big O, too! Adding a bunker (def. 5) at this stage in my game adds nothing, in the same way that even adding a medic (def. 10) does nothing to my stats. But add a rail gun or even upgrade a fortified bunker, then it definitely adds to the defense stats. The density issue often discussed for units clearly also applies for defensive buildings...

Ah ok, I know what is going on now. I have to wait till the darn thing is built! Doh!

Aidan
04-22-2012, 04:40 PM
To add on my points above:

When raided:
They add to the defense if the def buildings protect the raided buildings. Those which are not protecting the target buildings wont be taken into account.

When attacked:
All of your def buildings add to the defense collectively. Doesnt matter if u just lump them alltogether without rlly protecting any buildings...they will still be added to your defense score.

azy
04-22-2012, 06:10 PM
Then in that case, it would seem useful to buy strong defensive buildings perhaps at the expense of purchasing defensive-only units like the medic, ambulance, drone, for the buildings are not at risk of disappearing like the units.

Upgrading a defensive building is a different question because it comes at the opportunity cost of upgrading a money-producing building. And the extra money could procure defensive units...

Thunder Child
04-23-2012, 04:13 AM
Then in that case, it would seem useful to buy strong defensive buildings perhaps at the expense of purchasing defensive-only units like the medic, ambulance, drone, for the buildings are not at risk of disappearing like the units.

Upgrading a defensive building is a different question because it comes at the opportunity cost of upgrading a money-producing building. And the extra money could procure defensive units...
Probably depends at what stage of the game you're at, but no, I would definitely put the purchase of the higher end defensive units over buying defensive buildings. In terms of upgrading, I would certainly go with money before defense, but also consider the boost and unit buildings. Personally, I think there is something to be said for some upgrades to defensive structures, but these days only the fortified bunker seems cost and time effective, and as a deterrent a bunch of these upgraded to level 3 or higher must have some effect.