PDA

View Full Version : Focus on army density

azy
04-18-2012, 08:00 AM
Is anyone else on a strategy to increase long-term army density even at the cost of sacrificing some short-term strength?

I just bought my 20th Aircraft Carrier even though that same $100M would have bought many more Stealth Boat or Ballistic Sub because I'm hoping that someday lower stat units won't add to my overall A/D stats.

Am I banking too much on the 2,000 unit limit being permanent? Were there any similar CC limits that were eventually lifted?

Freekizh
04-18-2012, 08:07 AM
Thats gonna be one expensive army. Are you gonna just camp with that army? Whats your strategy.

Aidan
04-18-2012, 08:10 AM
If u alrdy have high A/D then it's definitely a smart move. Army density is crucial especially in the higher level.
This will only become a foolish move if tht person has a low A/D n constantly being attacked. The hugh sums of money is much better spent on cheap/medium units tht can boost his A/D much higher.

vball
04-18-2012, 08:10 AM
I agree azy.

When first starting to play was doing farming missions for units that are now a waste of time.

Density is a big issue and very important, but I have noticed many higher level players still are using some inexpensive units, lowering their density, but when you count the losses could make a great deal of sense as the cost of replacement is simply too high. Currently am attacked 3-10 times a day and so can imagine at those higher levels, those losses can pile up.

In my case lost too many ballistic subs to purchase them again, but have not lost an aircraft carrier. Have you lost any of them? I was thinking of buying more but would hate to be losing them as their replacement cost is high. The loss ratio shows them to be quite low, but also have lost destroyers and a royal ship who are also quite low.

Aidan
04-18-2012, 08:14 AM
Yeah, the downside of having a high density army is tht it's upkeep is too expensive. The high casualties is not helping either. IMO, meat shields is pretty much important to balance out the army.

cheiz
04-18-2012, 08:19 AM
I hope it's a good strategy azy. It's what I do (or at least plan to). Just finished upgrading Advance Airbase to lvl 8. Hope my economy will be high enough soon to start buying SB's while having enough cash availale to continuously keep upgrading Money Buildings.

cheiz
04-18-2012, 08:20 AM
Yeah, the downside of having a high density army is tht it's upkeep is too expensive. The high casualties is not helping either. IMO, meat shields is pretty much important to balance out the army.

Also true, but in case you're off balance, meat shields are easily and quickly bought, aren't they

Freekizh
04-18-2012, 08:24 AM
Ok lets be more objective - most of posts seem to indicate that you need around 30K+ at max allies at higher levels (both attack and defense?), which averages around 15 unit density. For defense this is relatively easy but for attack much more difficult.

At these levels, I cannot see how increasing density for attack is in anyway economical from a PvP perspective due to unit losses unless you are using gold units, or have a "secret sauce" raiding/attacking strategy with very low casualties.

RedLabit
04-18-2012, 08:45 AM
How many battles have you done with the 20 AC? Or are you a turtle farmer?

azy
04-18-2012, 10:37 AM
@Freekizh -No, I'm not camping. I tried to do it but it got so boring that I considered deleting the game. I'm just plodding along the missions and supplementing my income with attack and raiding (5000 fights won, 2000 raids). I try minimize my losses by picking my targets carefully, so far so good. My stats are decent (L101, 25K/25K) and I try not to keep too much cash, so as to discourage attacks.

@vball, @RedLabit - I've done perhaps 100 attacks and another 100 raids since acquiring my first carrier. Haven't lost one yet, but I think I've just jinxed myself...

Chimera
04-18-2012, 03:33 PM
Is anyone else on a strategy to increase long-term army density even at the cost of sacrificing some short-term strength?

I just bought my 20th Aircraft Carrier even though that same $100M would have bought many more Stealth Boat or Ballistic Sub because I'm hoping that someday lower stat units won't add to my overall A/D stats.

Am I banking too much on the 2,000 unit limit being permanent? Were there any similar CC limits that were eventually lifted?

I'm trying the same approach. Granted I'm only at level 7 with 3 allies and not attacking. However, since arming with 12 ACs I have not lost an attack or an AC. Down here at level 7 no one has ACs let alone 12 so it is not really a true test but I will continue arming my allies with ACs and Stealth Bombers and see how far I can go. Each ally I add will cost $36 million.

EnjoyLife
04-18-2012, 04:38 PM
I currently have 15 AC. I have lost some in battles, but it sure helps when defending. I currently have 25.6 million and no one has taken any from me while I'm saving up for my next Oil Rig upgrade.

Warfiend
04-18-2012, 04:39 PM
I've built up my density through a layered approach. Defense as an example: first I built up enough transports to cover all my unit slots, then I built up a combo of sea scouts and military ambulances, now I'm building up mine launchers and possibly stealth drones(still deciding). Not sure what will come next. Doing similar thing with offense.

This takes some degree of camping to do, but these types of games are long term things to me, so I don't need to level 20 levels a week to be happy with the game. And when I do come out to fight, There are very few choice targets I have to skip because they're too strong. I "eat" better in pvp than most on my level, because I don't have to settle for the sloppy seconds of the fast leveling masses using this strategy. I can get at the choice game my weaker but faster leveling rivals can't touch.

JohnnyR
04-18-2012, 06:36 PM
I've built up my density through a layered approach. Defense as an example: first I built up enough transports to cover all my unit slots, then I built up a combo of sea scouts and military ambulances, now I'm building up mine launchers and possibly stealth drones(still deciding). Not sure what will come next. Doing similar thing with offense.

This takes some degree of camping to do, but these types of games are long term things to me, so I don't need to level 20 levels a week to be happy with the game. And when I do come out to fight, There are very few choice targets I have to skip because they're too strong. I "eat" better in pvp than most on my level, because I don't have to settle for the sloppy seconds of the fast leveling masses using this strategy. I can get at the choice game my weaker but faster leveling rivals can't touch.

I'm also currently trying to build up my defensive force with GH drones, Ambulances, and Sea Scouts as well, but using medics as my "filler." once I get these guys (second tier defense) up to 1000 unit spots (half of the defense slots), I'll be pushing the medics out with Stealth Drones, I'll be able to afford them by that time. The reason I'd go with SDs is they'll be easier and cheaper to keep out of the attack group than the MLs.

Warfiend
04-18-2012, 07:49 PM
The reason I'd go with SDs is they'll be easier and cheaper to keep out of the attack group than the MLs.

That's a good point. I considered it when I was first plotting this out in my head and originally, I wanted to have a mixed force of MLs and SDs to have different strong against units. I'm still debating whether to do this. But I went forward with my plan of a mixed force, and went with the MLs first as they were the shorter upgrade path.

However since then, I've changed my country to UK(making the effective defense difference between the two a lot smaller) and I've acquired something like 7 new buildings that need to be upgraded. To get to the SD at this point, would require at least a week of extra camp time waiting for the airfiled to upgrade, in addition to the time the new buildings need. Also, I'm at a point where all my new offensive units that I would buy, will keep the MLs out of battle no problem.

So what I'm torn on is, is it better for me to spend a week pursuing unlocking the SD to have a mixed force, leaving my economic expansion stagnate the whole time, or am I better off just going with the MLs only, and spend that same week upgrading money buildings and acquiring the attack units required to keep the ML out of battle. I'm not sure at this point.

JMC
04-18-2012, 08:36 PM
I've been losing bio warfare troops like crazy. 100 a day when i feel like replenishing them. Stopped doing that and instead just let them die off, while i stock up on stealth frigates. In the end, bio warfare troops will be replaced by valor units and eventually the very expensive cash units, so i really don't need to keep them. I would get m270s to increase my defence unit density, but they just die so much. I've lost over 60 in a few days. Just going to build my defensive stats off stealth surveillance drones and the 26 from super hornets.