PDA

View Full Version : Do you think there is a correlation?

Sasha54
04-17-2012, 07:07 AM
between how many ATM's that you have on hand and how many you can open successfully?

I think someone posted after the last event that it was better to keep your number on hand fairly low.
I thought I might try that to see...

any thoughts?

slackerboy
04-17-2012, 07:09 AM
So far for me, only had 2 or 3 on hand. And in 5 attempts 4 opens for a CC

CounterSniper
04-17-2012, 07:10 AM
between how many ATM's that you have on hand and how many you can open successfully?

I think someone posted after the last event that it was better to keep your number on hand fairly low.

any thoughts?

No, Ive gotten the 10th piece on 3 of 4 events and had between 30-186 boxes left over.

murf
04-17-2012, 07:15 AM

any thoughts?

No, but just like everything else that has randomness built into it in this game, some people will think they see patterns...

Daniel2115
04-17-2012, 07:19 AM
I think it deff helps to have a lower number on hand. I used to fail opening so many times when I'd go and get as many as I could but ever since I started keeping only 5 or less on hand Iv been getting many more successful openings. I think once u try and open one and fail, don't go and find a new ATM because I think it resets ur opening attempts for the new ATM. If that makes sense to u lol

Daniel2115
04-17-2012, 07:22 AM
when u try to open one and fail just keep working on that one ATM until u open it. I think that every time u grab a new ATM it resets the amount of times uv tried to open the previous one since it's a new ATM

Maniaxe
04-17-2012, 07:23 AM
I agree that the lower number of ATM's results in more open, to an extent. We don't know if when we try to open weather we are attempting the same one after a failed open or if the box chosen is random. Personally I have tried with lots of boxes (I ended at 70 on last event) and less than five. The method I am employing on this event is keeping my box's to 3-5 at a time. If I only keep one at time I run the risk of not being able to pick one up quickly after a opened box. Keeping 3-5 should be enough that on the occasion I do get attacked and loose I still have a little bit of a buffer, and hopefully will not loose them all. In reality it probably does not make a difference in the number of boxes you keep on hand, but I like to think I have developed a successful strategy.

Sasha54
04-17-2012, 07:24 AM
when u try to open one and fail just keep working on that one ATM until u open it. I think that every time u grab a new ATM it resets the amount of times uv tried to open the previous one since it's a new ATM

Well I think that might be the theory that someone posted about - so I am just doing that. Will open the next one - then just go and find them as I need one - gives me an hour to get one.........lol

slackerboy
04-17-2012, 07:26 AM
The only downside to this, is you need to stop PVP and farming. Basically the game comes to a halt so you do not acquire to many ATMs

murf
04-17-2012, 07:33 AM

Why would this matter? If it's 50% a coin flip ends in heads and you use a coin that's come up tails 10 times in a row, or a new coin, it's still 50% chance it's heads on the next flip. Stop trying to see patterns where there aren't any....Please don't play roulette?!?!?!?!

Nicholost
04-17-2012, 07:41 AM
Sasha, I don't think there's any trick, loophole, or correlation between the number you have on-hand and the opening success. You code, right? Think about it from that perspective. Would you take the extra time to write in conditions and complex logic on top of your RNG just to provide a connection between opening chances and number of boxes on-hand? I strongly doubt any dev would without strict requirements to do so, especially if you have a full plate, which it seems those boys do. And if a business analyst did ask for such a "feature," I would bet there would be a strong push back from the devs since the level of effort is substantial, not to mention the additional testing and documentation.

Stitch
04-17-2012, 07:48 AM
Hell, today my business analyst is asking for an extra column in a display grid, and I'm thinking of pushing back!

Burn
04-17-2012, 07:52 AM
I'd assume there is a simple hard-coded drop rate that scales along with the number of Credit Cards you already have.

Anything else is just nonsensical speculation based on the assumption that Funzio have the time and inclination to code ever more elaborate algorithms. They haven't. They don't.

You have your drop rate. Your have your luck. No more. No less.

Be lucky :D

Jill
04-17-2012, 07:54 AM

any thoughts?

Ghost came up with this suggestion and even went further that where you got it could be important, meaning a higher energy or higher lvl of opponent may have an influence ..... But it was a thought no actual facts behind it.
But I'm trying it also not above 4 atm's and all from red casade

Rhino72
04-17-2012, 07:55 AM
Well I think that might be the theory that someone posted about - so I am just doing that. Will open the next one - then just go and find them as I need one - gives me an hour to get one.........lol

Pretty sure Fig Oni did a detailed thread about this and he was trying it. This all being said, I got my 10th last even when I had 280 boxes on hand so I think it is all random.

Nicholost
04-17-2012, 07:58 AM
Hell, today my business analyst is asking for an extra column in a display grid, and I'm thinking of pushing back!

Push back, dude. Don't the they BAs bully you around. Before you know it, they'll be asking for bold font and solid borders. Uncool.

Sasha54
04-17-2012, 07:58 AM
Sasha, I don't think there's any trick, loophole, or correlation between the number you have on-hand and the opening success. You code, right? Think about it from that perspective. Would you take the extra time to write in conditions and complex logic on top of your RNG just to provide a connection between opening chances and number of boxes on-hand? I strongly doubt any dev would without strict requirements to do so, especially if you have a full plate, which it seems those boys do. And if a business analyst did ask for such a "feature," I would bet there would be a strong push back from the devs since the level of effort is substantial, not to mention the additional testing and documentation.

Too funny and true! Actually I haven't thought about the actual coding for this since my background is mainframe banking software ( I apologize to any of you youngsters that don't know what mainframe is...lol ) I'm not even coding thse days........wish I was!

I just remembered seeing the post and thought that by the end of the last event I had so many lockboxes on hand with barely any time left - so from that perspective I think there was a programming aspect - boxes were flying out at a highly increased rate - don't you think?

murf
04-17-2012, 08:09 AM
Too funny and true! Actually I haven't thought about the actual coding for this since my background is mainframe banking software ( I apologize to any of you youngsters that don't know what mainframe is...lol ) I'm not even coding thse days........wish I was!

I just remembered seeing the post and thought that by the end of the last event I had so many lockboxes on hand with barely any time left - so from that perspective I think there was a programming aspect - boxes were flying out at a highly increased rate - don't you think?

I think the reason you accumulate a lot of boxes towards the end, is everyone has been doing PVE for 4-5 days which creates new lock boxes and as you accumulate more diamonds, credit cards, etc... the chance of opening the next box is diminished, which means new boxes are getting created at a far greater rate then being opened, so more and more lockboxes are in circulation.

Nicholost
04-17-2012, 08:10 AM

Like the drop rate increased toward the end of the event or the opening rate increased? I could totally see them tweaking opening rates on the server-side as the event moved along, but I strongly doubt the game has been coded to change opening rates as a function of boxes on-hand.

The only use-case I can up with that would indicate a correlation has been coded, is to enhance the success for those who have lightly been playing or showed up to the party late. Those people who have fewer boxes, which would be an indication of mild game commitment. However, if the commitment is low, I would argue that the chances of getting gold of them is equally low, so it's a wash.

I think the reason you accumulate a lot of boxes towards the end, is everyone has been doing PVE for 4-5 days which creates new lock boxes and as you accumulate more diamonds, credit cards, etc... the chance of opening the next box is diminished, which means new boxes are getting created at a far greater rate then being opened, so more and more lockboxes are in circulation.
Exactly. http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h257/nicklepics/nothing%20of%20use/Emoticons/yesnod.gif

Caleb
04-17-2012, 08:52 AM
My first open attempt with a single ATM on hand failed. The next three opens with only 2 ATMs on hand also failed. Something similar to this happened to me with the last event.

So with my "evidence", I could start a thread saying that a low number of items on hand will give you worse results.

However, I don't believe the number matters - it is simply random.

CounterSniper
04-17-2012, 08:54 AM
My first open attempt with a single ATM on hand failed. The next three opens with only 2 ATMs on hand also failed. Something similar to this happened to me with the last event.

So with my "evidence", I could start a thread saying that a low number of items on hand will give you worse results.

However, I don't believe the number matters - it is simply random.

Bingo!.....

i need muney
04-17-2012, 09:01 AM
Chicken blood helps.

gomlah
04-17-2012, 09:41 AM
let the genius here break it down for you ;)

high number of credit cards on hand = low chance of getting credit card
(Explains that ***** of a 10th card)

first few days of event = few numbers of lockboxes
(Generally fewer PvE attempted, PvP pays out nothing since nobody has boxes)

With that logic, the first few days of the event are where chances of opening a credit card are high and number of lockboxes are low.

Similarly, the last day of event sees low chances of receiving a credit card and number of lockboxes are high.

They simply HAPPEN AT THE SAME TIME, not because they are correlated.

It's like saying you're getting robbed on CC, and you're taking a dump while you read the robbery news. Therefore whenever you take a dump, you get robbed.

Nicholost
04-17-2012, 09:45 AM
It's like saying you're getting robbed on CC, and you're taking a dump while you read the robbery news. Therefore whenever you take a dump, you get robbed.

I'm glad to hear that happens to someone else as well. I haven't pooped in days for fear of a robbery. http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h257/nicklepics/nothing%20of%20use/Emoticons/shifty.gif

Caleb
04-17-2012, 10:55 AM
I have more "evidence" for the counter-theory that odds are worse the fewer ATMs you have.

After failing the first attempt with 1 ATM on hand, I had 5 failures with 2 ATMs collected. Then I got a third ATM, and what do you know, my next attempt was successful and I got a CC! Yay!

So obviously you should aim to have at least 3 ATMs - the more the better, I say...

I am joking. I really believe it is just random, and you have to be careful making theories from limited observations.

mnju_03
04-17-2012, 10:57 AM
I know a great shrink if any of you need some extra help? :P

Burn
04-17-2012, 11:03 AM
Whenever I take a dump I get robbed.

i need muney
04-17-2012, 11:05 AM
I'm glad to hear that happens to someone else as well. I haven't pooped in days for fear of a robbery. http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h257/nicklepics/nothing%20of%20use/Emoticons/shifty.gif
X)))))))))))))))

frenda
04-17-2012, 11:47 AM
No, but just like everything else that has randomness built into it in this game, some people will think they see patterns...

I see patterns in everything, then again, I work in a fabric store. :D JK.

Burn
04-17-2012, 11:47 AM
mnju, i don't like ur sig, this is no laughing matter, there is someone running around the streets of Crime City with about 34lb of my faecal matter. I have not heard a splash in weeks. Strain, relief, silence, gone. I want my stuff back.

mnju_03
04-17-2012, 11:50 AM
mnju, i don't like ur sig, this is no laughing matter, there is someone running around the streets of Crime City with about 34lb of my faecal matter. I have not heard a splash in weeks. Strain, relief, silence, gone. I want my stuff back.

Just do what I do, take the phone with you to the crapper....

frenda
04-17-2012, 12:02 PM
Just do what I do, take the phone with you to the crapper....

That's a requirement for me to go there... ;)

mnju_03
04-17-2012, 12:07 PM
I have at least 1 iPhone glued to me at all times....

Sasha54
04-17-2012, 12:11 PM
I have more "evidence" for the counter-theory that odds are worse the fewer ATMs you have.

After failing the first attempt with 1 ATM on hand, I had 5 failures with 2 ATMs collected. Then I got a third ATM, and what do you know, my next attempt was successful and I got a CC! Yay!

So obviously you should aim to have at least 3 ATMs - the more the better, I say...

I am joking. I really believe it is just random, and you have to be careful making theories from limited observations.

WELL - the joke is on me it would seem......

I kept it low - nobody stole any from me and I go 4 CC's out of 6 attempts - that's great.

But now I have no frickin ATM's and my last 2 farming attempts got nothing...........lol
I do find the early drop rates are lower this time around........

Ram
04-17-2012, 12:15 PM
I always keep them low cuz the 100k attack players always attack me!

Daniel2115
04-17-2012, 02:34 PM
Why would this matter? If it's 50% a coin flip ends in heads and you use a coin that's come up tails 10 times in a row, or a new coin, it's still 50% chance it's heads on the next flip. Stop trying to see patterns where there aren't any....Please don't play roulette?!?!?!?!

I think it matters cause if uv failed on the same ATM once there's gotta be a better chance at getting it the second time. Instead of failing then getting another and failing on that one and so on so forth....

Santa
04-17-2012, 02:36 PM
0 on hand. This is annoying. Can't get an ATM from PvE or PvP...

Daniel2115
04-17-2012, 06:09 PM
@Santa

Maybe if u weren't doing the money glitch and u wouldn't have such bad luck :D

Santa
04-17-2012, 06:11 PM
@Santa

Maybe if u weren't doing the money glitch and u wouldn't have such bad luck :D

Facepalm. I thought we went over this...

Non OT part of post: 2 Cards. :)

Aid
04-17-2012, 06:23 PM
I used up my last ATM and just got 5th one. I am having trouble finding ATMs...

Are you farming at all? Ma sang (or a name similar) in the black market drops regular, 576 energy but regular