PDA

View Full Version : New to Game, How high should I build defense??

moneybags
04-16-2012, 12:20 PM
How high should I build defense before upgrading my cash buildings?? Im at lvl 19 with 700 defense and only 4 members. I wish there was a way to remove the members I have but I looted them and now I cant!! So how high do you think I should go before progressing with my economy?

sexkitteh
04-16-2012, 12:21 PM
Well I think getting more members is good o_0

and according to everyone - you want to put about 50 in defense and the rest into stamina...

Swifty
04-16-2012, 12:23 PM
My advice is skip defense.

Go stamina with the idea that you will steal more from others than they steal from you.

It works for me.

mnju_03
04-16-2012, 12:24 PM
Defense buildings isn't the most important way of defending your player... IMHO
I like them but I prioritize inventory X mafia... Soooo if I have a few mafia I try to get enough good weapons
So I can max out 1 item X category = 5 items per mafia into a fight. That plus buildings that are upgraded a few times... Is what I do.

I'm retarded I forgot you could be referring to skill points and forgot about
Them all together! Those aren't very important later on... Anymore than 50 isn't worth it... Again IMHO
Then stamina! ;)

moneybags
04-16-2012, 12:36 PM
Every Time I level up I put 2 points to stamina and one point towards attack. None to defense or energy. I have four member of my mob and I have the highest items off each equipment that I can get. I just have been building my defense to make sure that my buildings wont be robbed once I start upgrading them.

Paulio
04-16-2012, 12:46 PM
Every Time I level up I put 2 points to stamina and one point towards attack. None to defense or energy. I have four member of my mob and I have the highest items off each equipment that I can get. I just have been building my defense to make sure that my buildings wont be robbed once I start upgrading them.

IMO, I think you're doing it backwards. Upgrade your money buildings first, then protect them with def builings. I image the opportunity cost of postponing your money bldg upgrades far outweighs the risk of them being robbed. Make sense? Also, since you seem to like def blgs, the more $$ you earn, the more $$ you can invest in gattling turrets later on.

Swifty
04-16-2012, 12:56 PM
The best defense against your buildings getting robbed is to collect on time.

No amount of defense buildings is going to protect you from people with serious gold/crate gear.

frenda
04-16-2012, 12:58 PM
That's what's cool about the game, there are so many different ways you can play it. I am totally different from moneybags. But it's working for me.

moneybags
04-16-2012, 12:59 PM
Why is it backward to build up a strong defense? It seems like everyone else is building money buildings and I am taking all their money. I make about 3k per hour but steal way more.

frenda
04-16-2012, 01:08 PM
Defense buildings won't stop robberies. Only collecting on time does, like we've all said. When you're robbed, you're only using 50% of your defense numbers.

sez
04-16-2012, 01:08 PM
Why is it backward to build up a strong defense? It seems like everyone else is building money buildings and I am taking all their money. I make about 3k per hour but steal way more.

The point is this, when you get higher in level people who have 20,000 attack less then your defense CAN STILL rob you. Each rob attempt will not be succesfull but if they have 10 stamina they can hit a few of your buildings.

murf
04-16-2012, 01:09 PM

Search for threads about defense buildings, a lot has been written. Two reasons summing up why not to focus primarily on defense.

1) Actual defense vs robberies is halved. I think this has been found mostly from anecdotal evidence, but we have all been successful robbed by players with attack of 50-60% of our defense. Or someone found in the underlying code, but either way, I've found it to be pretty accurate.

2) Profile defense does not equal actual defense in fight/rob screen if you have upgraded defense buildings. Read the link in the best of the best guide on defense buildings, but the more you upgrade your buildings the more the defense # shown in your profile is inflated vs what is actually used in fight/rob defense. Again, we have all come across those hoods with 25 L10 bodyguard agencies and a profile defense of 30k and an actual defense in the fight/rob screen of something like 22k.

Hope this helps

moneybags
04-16-2012, 01:11 PM
So is there any way to make it so my buildings are difficult to rob? I notice that I can not rob higher upgraded buildings that some people have but I can rob their lower upgraded buildings.

frenda
04-16-2012, 01:19 PM
Yes, collect on time. How many different ways can we say it? Otherwise, NO. You leave money, someone will come by and rob you eventually.

sez
04-16-2012, 01:20 PM
So is there any way to make it so my buildings are difficult to rob? I notice that I can not rob higher upgraded buildings that some people have but I can rob their lower upgraded buildings.

Do you just try 1 time and if it fails move on? Next time this happens try a few times, you might be surprised.

moneybags
04-16-2012, 01:24 PM
ok well here's an easy question. What's the best way to spend 140k at level 19

frenda
04-16-2012, 01:25 PM
+1... don't give up, especially if it's a juicy target. I've attacked players with Def scores 50% higher than my attack score and I still go positive numbers on robberies, or at least break even. but only after i've taken his 2 lofts for everything i can get. ;)

murf

There is a theory that money buildings have inherent defense points added behind the scenes. A little has been written up about this too, but it is thought that the number is relatively small, so while it might make a difference in the early stages, by the time your attack/defense get above 2.5k it becomes an insignificant add-on. Because of that and the difficulty in testing this, it has been only discussed theoretically and not much work has been done on it.

But to answer your question: is there any way to make it difficult to rob? The answer is really no unless 1) you spend $1000s on gold or 2) you focus almost solely on building/upgrading defense to where your economy will suffer greatly.

The best answer I think is to focus on economy, sync your buildings the best you can and collect timely, and when you are saving to build/upgrade your economy you can add a defense building/upgrade here and there. But honestly I would wait until you unlock gatling turrets because of their 2x2 size they are a great defense building to fit in those odd spots you couldn't use.

frenda

I'm assuming you mean $ and not RP.

moneybags
04-16-2012, 01:27 PM
yup, $140k I was saving for a movie theater but I don't see the point in buying one of those yet

murf
04-16-2012, 01:28 PM

Upgrade your Italian restaurants and ice creams shops, that have great upgrade schedules....buy new buildings that fit a schedule that you collect from....read the best of the best, there is endless information on this site. Read and then ask specific questions about things you aren't sure of.

frenda
04-16-2012, 01:29 PM
yup, $140k I was saving for a movie theater but I don't see the point in buying one of those yet

Depends on your inventory. Check out the spreadsheet that's posted that allows you to compute your strengths and weaknesses. You type in your equipment and level and mafia numbers, and it tells you which is your weakest weapon you bring to the fight, whether attacking or defending. It will show you where you're lacking and can buy accordingly.

murf
04-16-2012, 01:32 PM

Why not? The best buildings are buildings that follow a $1, $3, $6, etc upgrade schedule (Type A building). Those are Nightclubs, Lofts, Movie Theaters, Italian Restaurants, Ice Cream Shops, etc). Focus on buying and upgrading those, and then upgrade other buildings based on ROI mainly at the early levels. It gets more complicated when you move up, but the early stages it's very simple what to decide to build/upgrade.

Don't buy weapons with $$$, in-game cash weapons are almost all useless, if you can win fights focus on end-game RP weapons, if need to get stronger now, buy a very few combat boots, then Night Vision Binoculars, and then save RP until you unlock Chain Whips.

frenda
04-16-2012, 01:35 PM
In-game cash weapons fill the void when RP weapons aren't enough, especially early on. Later on, I totally agree with your choices.

moneybags
04-16-2012, 01:42 PM
ok guys its crossfit time so ill hit up the post afterwards

murf
04-16-2012, 01:44 PM
In-game cash weapons fill the void when RP weapons aren't enough, especially early on. Later on, I totally agree with your choices.

Fair enough, but low level cash items have lootable equivalents with insanely high drop rates:

Uzi (4A, 5D, $6,700) vs Mac-10 (4A, 4D, 3.41/1000 energy drop rate)
Nightstick (4A, 5D, $6,000) vs Shiv (4A, 4D, 5.21/1000 energy drop rate)

Not much to spend your energy on, so might as well farm these type items early on.

frenda
04-16-2012, 01:58 PM
I don't disagree, but farming causes you to level up so quickly. I found that the loot items weren't keeping pace with my levels. And at first I was trying to stay maxed out on mafia, so I had to buy weapons to outfit them all. Now that I've backed off that, it's much more manageable and I'd agree with you more. I was doing all the maps in order, which in retrospect is somewhat pointless. Maybe that's a strategy that's built in, causing you to level faster, so you have to spend gold to stay competitive with rivals?

murf
04-16-2012, 02:23 PM
I don't disagree, but farming causes you to level up so quickly. I found that the loot items weren't keeping pace with my levels. And at first I was trying to stay maxed out on mafia, so I had to buy weapons to outfit them all. Now that I've backed off that, it's much more manageable and I'd agree with you more. I was doing all the maps in order, which in retrospect is somewhat pointless. Maybe that's a strategy that's built in, causing you to level faster, so you have to spend gold to stay competitive with rivals?

hey, I didn't follow my own hindsight strategy either, I mastered a lot of the maps early on, before I came across the forums and started to think differently. I've never worried too much about leveling up too fast even after finding the forums. I think if you farm wisely and mix in PvP with robbing high RP/XP buildings, I think you will always be the top 10% at your level, which is really where you need to be. It's easy to find targets to rob/attack and you keep the the bottom 20-30% away from you too. Which to me is all you can really hope for.

You will never be able to defend against everyone, so as long as I can easily find people to beat, I'm ok with leveling up.

frenda
04-16-2012, 02:33 PM
No, it all worked out for me too, but I can imagine my economy even healthier if I had take more time to work my way up. I think I'm top 10% for sure, especially for not having spent any gold, except for Tapjoy gold. And yes, it's very easy to find targets to attack and rob, at any level.

murf
04-16-2012, 02:44 PM
No, it all worked out for me too, but I can imagine my economy even healthier if I had take more time to work my way up. I think I'm top 10% for sure, especially for not having spent any gold, except for Tapjoy gold. And yes, it's very easy to find targets to attack and rob, at any level.

Yes, I also think the same thing...but I also have no patience for camping, I've tried a few times and it's lasted less then a day. Unless you count the time when I was out of the country for a week and didn't log into my account

Dreno33
04-16-2012, 05:08 PM

movie theatre!

I'm lvl 8 with two lvl 3 MT's and they each payou 20.48k every 12 hours. that's serious bank for my level. My income per hour is nearly 17k. MT's are a HUGE investment. Definitely wise

fuzzy
04-16-2012, 05:53 PM
movie theatre!

I'm lvl 8 with two lvl 3 MT's and they each payou 20.48k every 12 hours. that's serious bank for my level. My income per hour is nearly 17k. MT's are a HUGE investment. Definitely wise

I shall catch you Dreno33. Im at Level 9 with my sleeper account. 1 MT at 3 and just waiting on some money before taking the 2nd one to level 3.

Santa
04-16-2012, 05:55 PM
Sleeper = Camper right?

Dreno33
04-16-2012, 05:57 PM
Yes, Santa. Just like when people say turtling (or as Nicholost likes to say, "TOILETING") lmao

Santa
04-16-2012, 05:59 PM
I think I'm crawling. Crawling = Levelling slowly = RP farming = Better stats in the big picture = more happiness for me! :D

Dreno33
04-16-2012, 06:01 PM
I think I'm crawling. Crawling = Levelling slowly = RP farming = Better stats in the big picture = more happiness for me! :D

Correct! you are crawling(: baby steps first. Better to master crawling then stand instead of trying to run and face planting it like the non-forum members lmao

Santa
04-16-2012, 06:03 PM
Great analogy... Hahahaha.

fuzzy
04-16-2012, 06:09 PM
Dreno33 clean out your inbox. Sent pm to you.