PDA

View Full Version : Thousands of Mafia?!?

frenda
04-16-2012, 08:50 AM
I'm seeing this trend more and more, or maybe just finally noticing it, but people with hundred or thousands of mafia members. You do realize you can only "use" 5 mafia per level, right? And unless you have guns, melee, armor, and vehicles for each of them, they're mostly useless. And yes, explosives are expensive and get used up, so you don't need them for all, but they help some. And lastly, having a lot of mafia makes you show up in people's rival list with lots more atk and def than you have. Sorry, rant over.

Swifty
04-16-2012, 09:26 AM
For some people, the number of mafia is like a whole separate mini-game within the game.

As in "Oh yeah? Well your economy might be better but I got more mafia!"

frenda
04-16-2012, 09:27 AM
Yeah, like it's a popularity contest. I wonder if they realize that by doing so they're exposing themselves to bigger fish who will just whoop up on them? I guess not. More easy pickings for us, Swifty. :)

CounterSniper
04-16-2012, 09:27 AM
For some people, the number of mafia is like a whole separate mini-game within the game.

As in "Oh yeah? Well your economy might be better but I got more mafia!"

Yup, it's the Face Book Strategy. lol

frenda
04-16-2012, 09:31 AM
Yup, it's the Face Book Strategy. lol

Saw some guy brab in a comment on some hottie's wall that he had 7330 mafia members. I couldn't stop laughing. I bet she's impressed by that until she sees his won/loss stats. LOL.

CounterSniper
04-16-2012, 09:33 AM
Saw some guy brab in a comment on some hottie's wall that he had 7330 mafia members. I couldn't stop laughing. I bet she's impressed by that until she sees his won/loss stats. LOL.

Yeah, seen the same type of thing, it is hilarious and kinda sad all at once.

Burn
04-16-2012, 09:34 AM
This is an area that I have been musing about.... At some point in time I think Funzio may increase the numbers that's you can take into battle.

Even for high levels this means previously redundant weapons will come back into play.

Yay for Steyr AUGs, Nail Bats and Wrestler Masks ;)

So I've been thinking of growing my mob size and holding it about the 990 mark, just in case this change comes along.

Anyone else got any thoughts on the possibility of a 'useable mob size' increase?

Ram
04-16-2012, 09:34 AM
I have almost 7k mafia members! Since i have 500 members i never added anynody ;)

frenda
04-16-2012, 09:37 AM
Burn, I figure if they change it, then I'll add more. They're useless unless you can actually use them in your stats. I figure I can socialize here on the Forum, but keep my Mafia list to something meaningful.

CounterSniper
04-16-2012, 09:37 AM
This is an area that I have been musing about.... At some point in time I think Funzio may increase the numbers that's you can take into battle.

Even for high levels this means previously redundant weapons will come back into play.

Yay for Steyr AUGs, Nail Bats and Wrestler Masks ;)

So I've been thinking of growing my mob size and holding it about the 990 mark, just in case this change comes along.

Anyone else got any thoughts on the possibility of a 'useable mob size' increase?

I used to keep my mob right at 500 but have been hoping for the same thing and I have been selectively adding just in case. I probably wont go over 750 though. Just a random goal.

rareay84
04-16-2012, 09:38 AM
Heh. For other players, hey, the more mafia for them the merrier. I add mafia one at a time, after I can afford to outfit them with a million bucks of stuff representing the best att/def money can buy for guns, melee, armor, and cars.

frenda
04-16-2012, 10:07 AM
I used to keep my mob right at 500 but have been hoping for the same thing and I have been selectively adding just in case. I probably wont go over 750 though. Just a random goal.

Once you're in the big shark-tank, I don't think it matters anymore. I was talking only about the lower level players.

frenda
04-16-2012, 10:08 AM
Heh. For other players, hey, the more mafia for them the merrier. I add mafia one at a time, after I can afford to outfit them with a million bucks of stuff representing the best att/def money can buy for guns, melee, armor, and cars.

I think that's a wise strategy. I've been using the spreadsheet to show me where I'm weakest, that has helped tremendously.

CounterSniper
04-16-2012, 10:14 AM
Once you're in the big shark-tank, I don't think it matters anymore. I was talking only about the lower level players.

I know, Burn and I were talkin about being prepared just in case they raise the usable mob.
Dont wanna get caught flatfooted.

I will stay far away from 1000 though, I dont want the 1000 mob glitch.

Swifty can tell you about that if you dont know.

frenda
04-16-2012, 10:18 AM
Yeah, don't know anything about the 1000 mob glitch. I'm trying to grow steadily so I don't become sharkfood as soon as I hit 90.

nopenopenope
04-16-2012, 11:10 AM
Highest I've seen was 24-28k mafia members on a VIP add. I have 700+ members, too lazy to check who it was.

buddylee
04-16-2012, 11:42 AM
Does anyone know how the mafia members are placed once you do add them? It seems random. Some of the ones I've added don't even show up either, so I wonder if there is a certain number that you hit and it doesn't show them. I have about 1100 members.

Swifty
04-16-2012, 11:49 AM
@buddylee

If they have not fixed the "ghost mafia" bug then maybe it is worse than I thought.

My understanding (always a possibility that it is flawed) was that the "ghost mafia" bug could only bite if you were above 1000 mafia and then deleted to below 1000 mafia (which is what happened to me). If the bug appeared, then you could not see a great many members of your mafia.

frenda
04-16-2012, 11:49 AM
The more recent ones usually show up in my top 50, but not always.

buddylee
04-16-2012, 12:20 PM
@buddylee

If they have not fixed the "ghost mafia" bug then maybe it is worse than I thought.

My understanding (always a possibility that it is flawed) was that the "ghost mafia" bug could only bite if you were above 1000 mafia and then deleted to below 1000 mafia (which is what happened to me). If the bug appeared, then you could not see a great many members of your mafia.

Well, that sucks. Thanks for the update though. I kept adding members because it seemed very similar to Mafia Wars and in that game I always thought you used the best of what you had. If I ran across someone that had really high stats, I would request them. Maybe I'll start dumping some of the lower level ones that aren't doing much in terms of stat increase.

buddylee
04-16-2012, 12:28 PM
So can higher level baddies see me because of the number of mafia members I have or can they see me dependent on the atk & def levels I have because of my mafia members? I haven't experienced too much pwnage, just a few random individuals who like to flex their gold spending muscles. Other than that, it's pretty quiet. Maybe It will be worse at the higher levels.

frenda
04-16-2012, 12:32 PM
There's much debate about that and Funzio is always tweaking it, but you should only show up on your rival's list for those who are within a certain band of numbers of members. Someone else explained it much better in another thread. Unless you're getting pummeled every night, you should be good for your level. All bets are off starting at level 90, from what I've read.

deuces
04-16-2012, 02:08 PM
There's much debate about that and Funzio is always tweaking it, but you should only show up on your rival's list for those who are within a certain band of numbers of members. Someone else explained it much better in another thread. Unless you're getting pummeled every night, you should be good for your level. All bets are off starting at level 90, from what I've read.

That level 90 has become level 142 in the last 4-6 months. Slowly progressing higher as there are more and more higher level players. In the mid 130s i can see up to 3 below me and 2 above me, with the most common rivals being 1-2 below.

frenda
04-16-2012, 02:10 PM
That level 90 has become level 142 in the last 4-6 months. Slowly progressing higher as there are more and more higher level players. In the mid 130s i can see up to 3 below me and 2 above me, with the most common rivals being 1-2 below.

Great, that's good to know, thanks. I still want to work on my economy some more. It's nice watching all that money roll in, especially once they're synched. I figure increase my hourly and then I can start attacking and robbing again. :)

Nicholost
04-16-2012, 02:18 PM
buddylee, there's a thread discussing mafia size and bracketing. Mafia Size and The Bracketing Hypothesis (http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthread.php?22306-Mafia-Size-and-the-Bracketing-Hypothesis). Ignore the math, but pay attention to the concept behind how brackets are established. There's a strong indication that the primary, if not the only, criteria for a bracketing is mafia size.

Aid
04-16-2012, 02:58 PM
So, this may have already been asked - if so I apologize. I think having a large mafia may make the pool that attack you smaller. Take Ram for instance, his mafia is huge which means he can see his mafia on his rival list. Most players though keep their mafia list tight (close to 500), so would that mean that while Ram could see you on his rival list, I may not be able to because my mafia is not over 1000?

Nicholost
04-16-2012, 03:08 PM
So, this may have already been asked - if so I apologize. I think having a large mafia may make the pool that attack you smaller. Take Ram for instance, his mafia is huge which means he can see his mafia on his rival list. Most players though keep their mafia list tight (close to 500), so would that mean that while Ram could see you on his rival list, I may not be able to because my mafia is not over 1000?
No, because there is a limit to the number of mafia that can be used based on level. If you have over the maximum number of mafia (i.e. > 5 x level or > 500), the game will treat you as if you have the maximum and bracket you accordingly. So if you and Ram are both level 100 or higher, you will bracketed as if you have 500 mafia, regardless of whether you have 500 and he has 5,000. At least, I think so anyway. Without seeing the code, I'm speculating, but it should be correct.

The game allows your own mafia members to appear in your rivals list if you have over 1000 mafia. This is probably a feature to avoid the unlikely, but possible case where a member teams up with every opponent in their bracket and therefore has no rivals.

rareay84
04-16-2012, 03:10 PM
Maybe I'll start dumping some of the lower level ones that aren't doing much in terms of stat increase.Wait - last I heard, the level of a mafia person doesn't mean squat. Level 1 or level 200, the only thing that happens when you add them, is you can bring another car, gun, melee, and armor into the fight (assuming your level can support another mafia).

Right?

Nicholost
04-16-2012, 03:12 PM
Wait - last I heard, the level of a mafia person doesn't mean squat. Level 1 or level 200, the only thing that happens when you add them, is you can bring another car, gun, melee, and armor into the fight (assuming your level can support another mafia).

Right?
Correct. The strength, level, or stats of your mafia members factors into your stats in no way. Blind, rich, or poor, they are just one more body to carry equipment.

EDIT: There is something to be said about only dropping weak players at, or around, your level from your mafia when you need to downsize. Remember, dropping a mafia member returns them to the pool. If you drop all the strong players, you essentially release them back into the pool as potential opponents. http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h257/nicklepics/nothing%20of%20use/Emoticons/1498.gif

Caleb
04-16-2012, 03:59 PM
There is something to be said about only dropping weak players at, or around, your level from your mafia when you need to downsize. Remember, dropping a mafia member returns them to the pool. If you drop all the strong players, you essentially release them back into the pool as potential opponents.

You might also want to drop the players with 1000 and over mafia if they are around your level because as pointed out you can appear on their rivals list even though they will not show on yours, assuming you have < 1000. Even if they are a strong player, you are not protected by being in their mob. And unless they have a really good memory or you are best buds, they probably have no clue that you are one of the 1000 players in their mob if you pop up on their rivals list.

pmartin
09-05-2012, 09:43 PM
For those interested in the latest info from gree regarding the 1000 mafia glitch.

I didn't know of the 1000 mafia glitch but noticed new members where not showing up in my list after reaching 1000 members and I could still see them in my rivals list after mobing up (or so I thought) I contacted gree support and this what I was told.

"Here's what is happening with your mafia list: when you originally went above 1000 mafia, it triggered a bug which we are currently working to fix. Instead of adding real people, it was adding npc mafia members (the same as you can win from missions/events, or buy in the store).

The problem is, all you can remove are people you can see (real people). Right now, you have 1000 real people in your mafia. The rest are npc mafia members."

I also asked if once the bug was fixed would a batch process be written and executed to sync up peoples mobs as well as a few other questions like is there a published list of known bugs and here are the answers:

"If you accept an invite, you will get an Npc and they will get you added, unless they have triggered the bug already. At this time there is not a cplan for a batch process to sync up mobs if the issue should be fixed. I do not yet have a known date of resolution for the issue. You will not have any more actual players added to your mafia over 1000 members. No there is no list of known issues currently available. You may wish to confer with other players on our forum pages. I apologize for any inconvenience."