PDA

View Full Version : Any advantage to strange land expansions?

el_gringo
04-14-2012, 03:34 PM
I've seen a couple of rivals/allies bases which have been expanded strangely.

ie. one guys looked like (_ being expanded and x being unexpanded)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxx____xxxxxx
xxx_xx_xxxxxx
xxx_xx_xxxxxx
xxx____xxxxxx
xxx____xxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

as well as other people going off on crazy paths and things.

Is there any point to this? Just sseems to me it makes defensive structures less effective.

Tate
04-14-2012, 03:39 PM
I agree with you, in theory. Your defensive units should be placed to cover your money buildings, I would think, but who knows what he's planning? There may be some method to his madness....

JohnnyR
04-14-2012, 03:43 PM
The long meandering and random pathway bases always catch my eye. I find it kind of fun tracking down money buildings on these crazy bases. I suspect the intent is to annoy however, or maybe the player just wants a unique base.

Aidan
04-14-2012, 03:54 PM
Sometimes it works tho especially fr plyr like me who uses iphone. I came across one player once who did his sea expansion ventured deep into the water from top of his base which i completely missed on my first visit. He has another sea expansion on the bottom tht hv all the normal buildings ie docks,adv docks,boosts but no oil rigs. 2nd time i visited him, i spotted his secret tunnel n there end of it - 2 oil rigs level 4. am not rlly sure whether all the expsnsion cost is rlly worth it fr him.

marebear
04-14-2012, 04:02 PM
I think it is a waste of money. I rearrange my base all the time to get maximum value, but to each his own.

Aidan
04-14-2012, 04:08 PM
@marebear i dont think so either but it took me second visit to spot it. Fr myself, i'm like u. Evrythng squeezed tight together. Looks like sardines in a can.

el_gringo
04-14-2012, 06:03 PM
Yeah, a couple of the times with the long meandering paths I have thought 'you don't fool me that easy', but I wonder how many alladdins caves I have missed due to my tiny screen!

As you say though Aiden, some of them must cost a fair bit to create and can't be worth the cash. Also it seems to me that when you look for the avtar to attack a player, it usually is in the most 'vacant' part of the base. Surely this means any player looking to attack will see the path to the gold?

Warfiend
04-14-2012, 07:01 PM
I did a shape because I wanted my base to look different. It's the one base I see the most and most bases I come across are just big swaths of land with everything shoved in seemingly without rhyme or reason.

But I took defense into account and built the shape of my base out of sections of 2x2 developed squares to allow for defense buildings in the center with buildings surrounding it and it also allows over lap of defense building coverage. Now that I have turrets, I'm looking to modify things so that the sections are 3x3, which given the shape I was forming and how far I've gotten, I can still do. It's just going to take me a lot longer to complete.

I figure why not? I think base building is one of the least exploited parts of the game as far as Funzio goes. They have decorations other people can't see and I think that has played a part in all the "headache" bases(bases so cluttered and noisy, it gives me a headache looking at them and makes me want to attack them even more for giving me a headache). :D

LeBarticus
04-14-2012, 07:07 PM
Mine will look like a dumbbell with one side bigger when I'm finished with it - just cause its gonna look cool

Dreno33
04-14-2012, 08:27 PM
What i hav noticed is that mosy expand and increase vault 24/7. You can somewhat guess the vault size looking at the base size compared to yours and your vault. Not with a crazy shaped vault. Much harder. Just my technique/reasoning

Gixxxah_Ridah
04-14-2012, 08:57 PM
complete waste of money, people think that this will annoy people and make them not want to look around and find their high level cash buildings. But we'll find them anyway, its a dead give away. Just like if you hide the "level" number with another building, im raiding it knowing you don't want me to.

The best trick is to align the buildings in such a way that you can hide defense buildings like SAM's in a place that make them very hard to see. Then someone charges in excited about raiding your munitions stash, and they completely miss the SAM hiding next to it. Then they leave you a nice donation for the lesson.

JMC
04-14-2012, 09:16 PM
Some people just want to make a weird base, i doubt they expand with some sort of strategy in mind. Expanding in a rectangular or square shape is the best way to go because it lets you utilize every piece of land in every expansion square.

These people are just wasting money and have tons of empty territory that can't be filled.

el_gringo
04-15-2012, 09:17 AM
Just like if you hide the "level" number with another building, im raiding it knowing you don't want me to.

The best trick is to align the buildings in such a way that you can hide defense buildings like SAM's in a place that make them very hard to see. Then someone charges in excited about raiding your munitions stash, and they completely miss the SAM hiding next to it. Then they leave you a nice donation for the lesson.

Yep, I have a couple of defenses with the level obscured by buildings mind, a kind of combination of these two strategies. Some of theem I've upgraded a few times, some left at 1.

btw - what level is your LLP (Iran Sheik)? I've had a player attack me of that name (left me 17k iirc). Have seen them on my rivals list recently and wouldn't mind allying up as we seem to be of similar strength.

Euchred
04-15-2012, 09:39 AM
My base goes out along the right hand side the straight up on the border and then comes back across the top. Not sure why I did it I've never taken this game seriously but here I sit making 211k an hour.

Dreno33
04-15-2012, 09:40 AM
My base goes out along the right hand side the straight up on the border and then comes back across the top. Not sure why I did it I've never taken this game seriously but here I sit making 211k an hour.

hey was sup Euchred, never knew you played MW. invite me (bottom # in sig)

Euchred
04-15-2012, 09:43 AM
hey was sup Euchred, never knew you played MW. invite me (bottom # in sig)

Added you check out my base it's pretty random

Dreno33
04-15-2012, 10:09 AM
Added you check out my base it's pretty random

i promise i will when i start accepting. i was getting attacked too much and leveled too quickly. so ever since i deleted ALL allies it dropped dramatically. have only been attacked twice since(: