PDA

View Full Version : More Forum sections - off topic etc.... ?

xclusiv
04-12-2012, 08:26 PM
saw a thread over in mw talking about different section thought it was a good idea, to see some possible off topic section and whatever suggestions people may have

dudeman
04-12-2012, 09:16 PM
A sub forum dedicated to events would be cool. Each time there is an event there are a hundred new posts about it.

Gaming Will
04-12-2012, 09:33 PM
A sub forum dedicated to events would be cool. Each time there is an event there are a hundred new posts about it.

+1 here, how about a "current Crime City Event"

Nicholost
04-12-2012, 09:46 PM
I also like the "current CC event" sub-forum. Although, with little activity, and therefore infrequent visits, I fear that I would miss a lot of content in that sub-forum. http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h257/nicklepics/nothing%20of%20use/Emoticons/nonod.gif

As for the creation of an "off-topic" sub-forum, I am opposed, believe it or not. I believe the best remedy for off-topic conversation is self-policing, mainly by the thread originator, followed by more strict moderation. The second option is a distant second, IMO. I had a post about this awhile ago in this thread:
http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthread.php?23369-What-drives-you-Crazy-about-the-Forums&p=153497#post153497

Here's the body of that post:

...it's difficult not to participate in off-topic conversation. Think of how conversations evolve within a circle of friends. If the topic and dialog are lighthearted, rarely does it stay on topic. Same goes for forums once friendships are made.

I've been doing the forum thing since they first started showing up on the internetz, so for about 12 years. Collectively, I probably have over 100K posts (wow, that's sad). In that time, I have witnessed all kinds of evolution and trends. What's most interesting to me is that in general, a forum takes on a personality. Some are aggressive and arguing is prone and common, while others are really laid back and anything goes. This one is rare because not all topics have been discussed and there is a lot of new ideas and concepts [shared]. Likewise, since there's so much new content, people aren't just replying with "STF" (search the forum), which creates dialog. That dialog turns to conversation, which can easily turns off-topic.

My person preferred approach is to let the OP (original poster) manage his own thread. If the OP doesn't like where the conversation is going, it's up to him/her to say so and ask the participants to stay on topic. In most cases, people listen. It's quite effective.

(If you're going to read any part of this post, this is it.)

I've also seen forums adopt the "[off-topic]" section. [This] section never works. Yes, people post off-topic content there, so in that sense they are successful. However, what the section evolves to is a post-anything section and almost always turns political, sexual, or involves passionate opinions. After that, arguments ensue, people get banned, and those who don't, bring grudges and bad blood into the on-topic sections. It completely changes the personality of the forums for the negative. I've seen it many times before. I was a part of a forum for five years. In that time, I watched them create [an] Off-Topic section, it go from success to out of control, ban a bunch of people, remove the Off-Topic section, and a new site spring up that was created by everyone who got banned. The new site is a bloodbath. Seriously. I'm pretty sure the FBI monitors it. Anyway, while it's cool that the chat/off-topic sections get used, their creation has little to no effect on the off-topic chatter in on-topic threads without active and thorough forum moderation. People will always treat dialog among forum friends as they would with real friends (i.e. things evolve off-topic). The most successful forums have a full-time staff or volunteer group of mods to patrol the forum and smack-down off-topic posts. While that keeps threads on-topic, the mods typically get a little too ban-happy and the fallout is an anti-mod mentality. Again, the forum personality changes for the negative. This is why I say the most effective way [is] for the OP to police his/her own thread. People tend to have the most respect for the OP because he/she is a peer and they take his/her request seriously (most of the time) [because, in a sense, they own the thread]. It also doesn't typically change the forum personality for the negative.

Dreno33
04-12-2012, 11:29 PM
+1 Nicky. This is my first forum to ever be apart of and I love it. Many new friends and a great time posting and sharing! Its inevitable... plain and simple

Santa
04-13-2012, 03:54 AM
Good ideas...

Sasha54
04-13-2012, 08:55 AM
I agree with Nicholost - especially the piece he posted in the other section.
I have been on several different types of forums - varied topics - and they all had an OT section - you know - here's the section where you can post about anything not related to the forum.

well first off - you are on the forum to talk about the main topic - right?

if some conversations go a bit OT then that is to be expected but as Nicholost points out - discussions in a section specifically noted as OT will always go political/sexual/religous............and for anyone who hasn't been on a forum it is amazing to see just how off the wall people can go when they are hiding behind the screen of anonymity - the rants can be crazy

so obviously people will be banned and what's the point. And sometimes it just causes stress and ill will - so who needs that.

anyway just my opinion.........

Dorian Gray
04-13-2012, 09:37 AM
Off topic sections are a great place to get to know the people on the forum better and understand their perspective. If you don't like the off topic section then don't go there to read or to post.

I'm not a big believer in not doing things because a few bad apples might spoil it for the rest. People have been out of line in every section of the forum and been banned. I don't see Funzio shutting down the forums because of it. :rolleyes: Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Dillinja
04-13-2012, 10:08 AM
Off topic sections are a great place to get to know the people on the forum better and understand their perspective. If you don't like the off topic section then don't go there to read or to post.

I'm not a big believer in not doing things because a few bad apples might spoil it for the rest. People have been out of line in every section of the forum and been banned. I don't see Funzio shutting down the forums because of it. :rolleyes: Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.
Bang on fella.

If these forums were moderated on a daily basis, having an OT section would not be hard to sort.If Funzio staff dont have the time to mod OT, then choose someone who they feel is responsible enough.

I'd volunteer but I think I'd ban myself first for obvious reasons.

mnju_03
04-13-2012, 10:21 AM
Bang on fella.

If these forums were moderated on a daily basis, having an OT section would not be hard to sort.If Funzio staff dont have the time to mod OT, then choose someone who they feel is responsible enough.

I'd volunteer but I think I'd ban myself first for obvious reasons.

Clearly......

Dillinja
04-13-2012, 10:22 AM
Clearly......
I'd never ban you though....for obvious reasons

NotsoFunzio
04-13-2012, 10:26 AM
I'd never ban you though....for obvious reasons

I'll me MOD............................................... ..................... and the forum will get intresting again :p

Dillinja
04-13-2012, 10:29 AM
I'll me MOD............................................... ..................... and the forum will get intresting again :p
I'd pay to see you MOD, my sheep twoccing friend

L Fizzle
04-13-2012, 10:38 AM
I've said it before. We can't do an OT forum because of all things that you guys think is okay to talk about...that just aren't.

I'll use the "Would you..." thread as an example. That's pretty up front about your intentions and it was about me. I'm here to help you...why would you disrespect the person that's advocating for you so blatantly and in my face?

That is the reason we can't have an OT forum....because I can't see everything all the time (neither can CC Mark) and you guys...as a group...can't be trusted to even respect the person that's here to help you.

That's my two cents.

Fizz

sez
04-13-2012, 10:43 AM
I've said it before. We can't do an OT forum because of all things that you guys think is okay to talk about...that just aren't.

I'll use the "Would you..." thread as an example. That's pretty up front about your intentions and it was about me. I'm here to help you...why would you disrespect the person that's advocating for you so blatantly and in my face?

That is the reason we can't have an OT forum....because I can't see everything all the time (neither can CC Mark) and you guys...as a group...can't be trusted to even respect the person that's here to help you.

That's my two cents.

Fizz

I never saw that thread, but all who did and commented....

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b321/adamsez24/men-s-you-just-got-served-t-shirt-palmercash-2.jpg

Dillinja
04-13-2012, 10:43 AM
Although your point is valid Fizz, the whole reason for having a mod is precisely for that.
Yes, we can and do get out of hand, but it's all done jokingly. Why not appoint a forum member who funzio trusts to be a mod and see how it goes.

A lot of us do like to communicate with other board members and not talk about CC all the time. It can be done but obviously the last word would be from you guys.

Dillinja
04-13-2012, 10:44 AM
I never saw that thread, but all who did and commented....

I'm sure it was in the MW forum

L Fizzle
04-13-2012, 10:52 AM
Let's see how you guys do with this...and I'll potentially consider in the future.

Gotta earn some trust.

sez
04-13-2012, 10:55 AM
Let's see how you guys do with this...and I'll potentially consider in the future.

Gotta earn some trust.

lol on an Internet Gaming forum? and you said you play CC? Read my wall if you're ever bored. I'll start leaving the really good comments up if you are going to :-)

L Fizzle
04-13-2012, 01:17 PM
lol on an Internet Gaming forum? and you said you play CC? Read my wall if you're ever bored. I'll start leaving the really good comments up if you are going to :-)

I don't think its too much to ask to act like adults I know you all are.

Santa
04-13-2012, 01:19 PM
I don't think its too much to ask to act like adults I know you all are.

Ahem. ........

Dorian Gray
04-13-2012, 02:08 PM
Ahem. ........

She knows you already act like an adult, so she wasn't aiming that at you. :)

Swifty
04-13-2012, 02:11 PM
It is more than a little ironic that a forum participant who claims to be one of the youngest acts more mature than many who are probably much older than the former claims to be.

Dorian Gray
04-13-2012, 02:14 PM
It is more than a little ironic that a forum participant who claims to be one of the youngest acts more mature than many who are probably much older than the former claims to be.

Such is life. That's why I feel bad for younger people on xbox live. The people who start talking trash to people just because they are young are the real losers.

jobadass
04-13-2012, 02:31 PM
+1 Swifty. Santa is a good kid.

I think it's OK to sometimes to go OT (obviously, I do it all of the time) I have had some good conversations with people on here that went OT. A seperate thread would be a good idea, many people on here probably feel they have made some sort of connection with others and may want to just shoot the poop.
LFizz: I never saw that thread (of course I'm gonna look for it), but I don't think anyone should be bullied and I'm sorry for you if you were. You seem like a very nice person, and that isn't cool.

L Fizzle
04-13-2012, 03:05 PM
+1 Swifty. Santa is a good kid.

I think it's OK to sometimes to go OT (obviously, I do it all of the time) I have had some good conversations with people on here that went OT. A seperate thread would be a good idea, many people on here probably feel they have made some sort of connection with others and may want to just shoot the poop.
LFizz: I never saw that thread (of course I'm gonna look for it), but I don't think anyone should be bullied and I'm sorry for you if you were. You seem like a very nice person, and that isn't cool.

I'm fine with you guys going OT here in general if you police yourselves..What you do now is fine! I worry when I'm not reloading the forum while I'm at my desk though. If I go to a meeting or maybe later in the evening try to make dinner or hang with my friends!

The thread was deleted by me, but I wasn't bullied. It was just rude and inappropriate and not suitable for a public forum. I am blown away that you guys would want to piss me off when I'm your best connection to get what you want in the games you love so much. :P

jobadass
04-13-2012, 03:09 PM
Certainly not trying to piss you off. I've been through a divorce and know that getting a woman angry, get's me nowhere;) Thanks Lauren.

mnju_03
04-13-2012, 03:16 PM
I'm not sure if you're mad at me but...What if flowers got delivered to your office/desk??? I hear Ram has some spare cash.

:-)

Gaming Will
04-13-2012, 03:21 PM
Wow guys? A guy goes to a meeting and misses out.

L Fizzle
04-13-2012, 03:25 PM
I'm not sure if you're mad at me but...What if flowers got delivered to your office/desk??? I hear Ram has some spare cash.

hahahahaha!

mnju_03
04-13-2012, 03:26 PM
hahahahaha!

I love an authoritative female figure! Being pretty just puts a cherry on top! :P

jobadass
04-13-2012, 03:28 PM

Classic Francis!
Am I to guess that Ram started said deleted thread? Why would that not surprise me? Although he is sometimes somewhat humurous, he's nearly always offensive (to someone).

Dillinja
04-13-2012, 05:18 PM
It was a thread in the MW forum. Unfortunately it wasnt Ram