PDA

View Full Version : General is well....too general

What?
04-12-2012, 01:08 AM
We need to have sub categories like off topic, contests, and announcements. There is an announcements, but behold it is empty. As it is good threads are getting buried in the clutter. I'm sure others can think of some good categories as well and should throw some suggestions out there.

Chiefer
04-12-2012, 01:09 AM
They just announced new forums.

War Priest
04-12-2012, 12:09 PM
We need to have sub categories like off topic, contests, and announcements. There is an announcements, but behold it is empty. As it is good threads are getting buried in the clutter. I'm sure others can think of some good categories as well and should throw some suggestions out there.

We might of got a sub forum just for off topic chat, but there are to many dummies out there that post stupid threads so the devs said no.

L Fizzle
04-12-2012, 01:18 PM
We might of got a sub forum just for off topic chat, but there are to many dummies out there that post stupid threads so the devs said no.

Yup.

Also....I have announcements coming for next week and the week after. You guys want to do another naming LE items poll?

War Priest
04-12-2012, 01:21 PM
Yep, of course. =)

Maybe with a listing limit though perhaps.

Luke7676
04-12-2012, 01:22 PM
Yup.

Also....I have announcements coming for next week and the week after. You guys want to do another naming LE items poll?

Deffinetly :)

Agent Orange
04-12-2012, 01:39 PM

Would be a good idea, probably help out the judges as well....

Mcdoc
04-12-2012, 03:13 PM
You guys want to do another naming LE items poll?

Lauren - that would be Awesome! There were some great suggestions after the last contest - not sure if you saw them all, but I really think we could get a boost on Forum members if you arranged to have a splash screen in the game announcing the LE naming contest and directing people to the forum.

Also, would love to see you limit the entries to 3 per person, then in a very large poll, list like the top 50 - then let people vote down to the top 10 for the "Semi-Finals" and lastly the Top 3 names for the Final Poll (3 days each poll). It will drag it out a little bit longer, but there is a real sense of community here on the forums and it would give some great ownership to the naming contest.

And of course, it would be awesome if "in addition to" the winner getting the honor of having the unit carry the name, all top 3 get the unit for free as a big thanks for being part of this amazing forum :)

Thanks for listening :)

Dreno33
04-12-2012, 03:19 PM
McDoc ~ what do you mean "gets the honor of having the unit carry the name"? isn't the poll supposed to name the item? not have the item named after them?

Luke7676
04-12-2012, 03:22 PM
Could you imagine how flooded the forum would be if they announced that in game lol. I'm neutral on that idea but it's always nice to see new members but I'm not sure about all at once idk.
But I like the idea of 3 names max and your bracket idea mcdoc

Mcdoc
04-12-2012, 03:23 PM

General too General . . .

Well honestly, I spend 99% of my time here in the General . . . and the posts that are "clutter" seem to fall of pretty quick already. Even when I had "Suggestions" (a former sub thread) - I would post them here in the General because I felt this is the place that most people came to anyway.

As far as Off Topic - it's just all part of life - people talk. The best way to keep your thread On Topic is to post info to get it back on Topic. I skim over many posts that are silly and don't respond to them. The worst thing you can do to an "OT Gremlin" (new term) is to feed him Flan after midnight :)

Responses to OT posts only lead to more OT posts - even when you are telling the OT Gremlin that he is childish and immature - because an OT Gremlin is just seeking attention - even negative attention - which is more than they are getting in RL so they come here to feel "loved" :)

Personally, I like less sub-categories because I won't be checking them out if I can get my fill at the "General" all you can read buffet. There is a reason the "Announcements" thread has always had a low post count - if you want to Announce something, you go to where the most people are and make a loud announcement, you don't go down the hall to an empty closet and expect to be heard :)

My humble Opinion :)

War Priest
04-12-2012, 03:23 PM
I really think we could get a boost on Forum members if you arranged to have a splash screen in the game announcing the LE naming contest and directing people to the forum.

That is more competition! No No No! =)

There are too many crazy people as it is!

Can you imagine 15 bigflan's?

Mcdoc
04-12-2012, 03:25 PM
McDoc ~ what do you mean "gets the honor of having the unit carry the name"? isn't the poll supposed to name the item? not have the item named after them?

I edited my post to better communicate my thought - I meant "in addition to" - as in also awarding the free LE to 2 other people :)

War Priest
04-12-2012, 03:29 PM
Personally, I like less sub-categories because I won't be checking them out if I can get my fill at the "General" all you can read buffet. There is a reason the "Announcements" thread has always had a low post count - if you want to Announce something, you go to where the most people are and make a loud announcement, you don't go down the hall to an empty closet and expect to be heard :)

Great point Mcdoc. I mean we already have our own OT threads, and we can just create more. No reason to have a whole sub forum for that. Also it is an easy transition from an OT thread to a game thread the way it is now. With more people being in general, it is much easier to keep spam and ignorance out with more people to report.

War Priest
04-12-2012, 03:31 PM
I edited my post to better communicate my thought - I meant "in addition to" - as in also awarding the free LE to 2 other people :)

I don't know how well that would work since she posted the contest a few days before they were released. Either they post it in advance or they name listing and poll time will be extrememly short.

Also, only 10 items are allowed in a poll. I don't know if that would be different for a dev or not.

Ghost818
04-12-2012, 03:34 PM
That is more competition! No No No! =)

There are too many crazy people as it is!

Can you imagine 15 bigflan's?
Lmao, War Priest is actually right, however the forum could benefit from a few more people with opinions that can actually back them up, I am from the Crime City side of the forum, but couldn't resist from posting here that was pretty funny

stricker
04-12-2012, 03:54 PM
...My humble Opinion :)
HAHAHA... now that there is funny!!! McDoc, what exactly is your definition of the word "humble?" ...because i don't think it is in the dictionary that i use!!! LOL

stricker
04-12-2012, 03:56 PM
Thanks, McDoc!
...glad i'm not on the list!

Mcdoc
04-12-2012, 05:14 PM
Thanks, McDoc! ...glad i'm not on the list!What list?

stricker
04-12-2012, 05:20 PM
...i may have been scanning your too fast. the reference was to an unspoken OT'ers list in my mind.

marebear
04-12-2012, 05:37 PM
Dear war priest these are my sins...Off topic-ing.. GuiltyNot knowing enough to contribute.. GuiltyI need some absolution... Also, I need an exorcism for grunts disease.

stricker
04-12-2012, 05:40 PM
BAH HA HA!!! ROTFLMAO...
marebear... this is not the confessional thread... you have to click the little "wp" icon at the bottom of the page!

marebear
04-12-2012, 05:43 PM
:) I need a cure!!! I'm infected! 8/10 with 5 allies so far. I need a war priest.. Or maybe I should go see McDoc!!

War Priest
04-12-2012, 05:46 PM
Dear war priest these are my sins...Off topic-ing.. GuiltyNot knowing enough to contribute.. GuiltyI need some absolution... Also, I need an exorcism for grunts disease.

:) I need a cure!!! I'm infected! 8/10 with 5 allies so far. I need a war priest.. Or maybe I should go see McDoc!!

I give PM blessings. =)

stricker
04-12-2012, 05:48 PM
I give PM blessings. =)
...you mean you only give them from 12pm to 11:59pm???
what time zone... funzio time zone?

Mcdoc
04-12-2012, 06:09 PM
MC-Doc - M is for Morphine - C is for Codiene That's the only 2 drugs I can offer for any cures :)Damn it - now I'm infected with the OT disease:(

stricker
04-12-2012, 06:13 PM
MC-Doc - M is for Morphine - C is for Codiene That's the only 2 drugs I can offer for any cures :)Damn it - now I'm infected with the OT disease:(

no man... you need a paradigm shift... it is like the 70's for the forum boards... peace Out Time!

Gixxxah_Ridah
04-12-2012, 06:25 PM
Flantastic!! McDoc you had some great ideas.