PDA

View Full Version : How To Quickly Increase Your Income Per Hour

kinghansen
04-11-2012, 11:10 AM
I don’t know if this has been done or discussed before, but I have done some calculation to figure out which buildings are worth upgrading and how to maximize your income per hour increases. Here’s what to do:

Take the dollar per hour increase of an upgrade on a building and divide by the amount of time the upgrade takes. This gives a value which is hourly income increase per hour of upgrade time. Basically, the higher this number, the faster the upgrade will increase your income per hour.

If you can find buildings that have a value of over 50, I would say they are certainly worth your time upgrading. Most buildings are below 50 or become below 50 very quickly after being upgraded a few times.

Of course, there are those few awesome buildings that have values well into the 100s but they are the structures that are extremely expensive. (Upscale Club, Nightclub & Some Gold Buildings) The Nightclub’s values are in fact into the 1000s. It is obviously the best building in the game, nothing else comes close to those figures.

But if you’re like me and can’t afford a Nightclub, I have some viable alternatives for you. Upgrade your Movie Theaters to level 6. They stay well into the 60 – 100 range the entire time and are quite affordable. Levels 7 to 10 really aren’t worth it because the values dwindle down to the 20s and 30s. (I made the mistake of upgrading mine to 9) Lofts are great all the way to level 10, they stay in the 60 – 70 range, but do get expensive. I could go on and on about all the building that are worth upgrading.

On the other hand, there are buildings that are not worth your time. Take the Crematorium for example. At a first glance it looks great with a base income of $30,000 an day, but it is not as good as it seems. After performing my calculations on this structure I found that it has some of the lowest values in the game. It stays in the 20 – 30 range the entire first 9 levels, and the 10th level isnt much better. There are other buildings that are deceptive so be careful when choosing what to upgrade.

I wish I could post my spreadsheet for you guys but I’m too dumb to figure out how. If someone has some advice to help me figure it out, let me know. I think maybe I can't because it’s Excel Workbook (.xlsx) but I’m not sure.

Anyways let me know what you guys think of this strategy or if you have any questions.

Nicholost
04-11-2012, 11:14 AM
This came up in TS' Hood Planning and Discussion thread. Check it out:

http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthread.php?15477-Economy-planning-amp-discussion&p=121801&viewfull=1#post121801

kinghansen
04-11-2012, 11:19 AM
Aw darn! I was hoping I'd be the first person to think of this!

Nicholost
04-11-2012, 11:25 AM
Aw darn! I was hoping I'd be the first person to think of this!

Haha! No worries. It is a clever metric, so you deserve credit for that. We're reaching a point in this game where it's going to be hard to break ground and come up with anything truly original. There's still room for it, but much of the low hanging fruit has been picked.

kinghansen
04-11-2012, 11:39 AM
I like your take on acceleration. I suppose if you look at the units it really is the same thing, m/s/s compared to $/h/h.

i need muney
04-11-2012, 11:52 AM
You cant use this metric by itself. It's tricky.

kinghansen
04-11-2012, 12:06 PM

Why's that?

Nicholost
04-11-2012, 12:10 PM
Why's that?
Because it doesn't factor in ROI. If you follow just $/hr/hr, you will be lead down the road of upgrades that produce a lot, but cost even more, and therefore take a long time to pay off.

kinghansen
04-11-2012, 12:13 PM
Because it doesn't factor in ROI. Is you follow just $/hr/hr, you will be lead down the road of upgrades that produce a lot, but cost even more, and therefore take a long time to pay off.

Interesting, I kinda figured this would be the answer. I understand the benefits of ROI but havent payed much attention to it myself.

Something to consider though, if you could find upgrades with a high $/h/h value and a high ROI it would be the ultimate economic plan.

Gabbahh
04-11-2012, 12:17 PM
I agree.
I use it in combination with ROI.

You can only spend your money once.

Edit: im really really really slow

kinghansen
04-11-2012, 12:39 PM
I agree.
I use it in combination with ROI.

You can only spend your money once.

Edit: im really really really slow

After hearing your guys' input Im making a spreadsheet right now that takes both into consideration. Not exactly sure how Im going to calculate it but Ill figure something out.

kinghansen
04-11-2012, 01:41 PM
I was thinking that a way to come up with this value could be as folllows:

(($/h/h)/(ROI)) x 1000

I punched it into my spreadsheet and came up with some interesteding results. I multiplied it by 1000 for readability as the numbers were mostly decimals. Basically the higher this value the better the upgrade. Becuase you want a high $/h/h and a low ROI.

doomnosee
04-11-2012, 02:03 PM
I try to increase my $/hour metric as much as possible, so mainly use this not ROI, but I take the $/hr/upgrade hr and multiply by estimated collection rate, e.g. 12/24/48 - 0.9; 8hr - 0.7, 3hr, 6hr -0.6, 1hr - 0.44 (using three figures - missed collection - 0, robbed collection -0.4, collection - 1.0)

Shoutzaonmyboiz
04-11-2012, 02:03 PM
This sounds great, cant wait to get a look at it.
Note: I think we have an up and comin TS on our hands here.

Santa
04-11-2012, 02:05 PM
Amazing work! If possible, could you make this public?

FYI I don't have Microsoft Office...so OpenOffice compatible would be nice! :)

Plux
04-11-2012, 02:38 PM
Again Marginal Utility of Income MUI vs ROI. You really need to identify the long term, patience actually gives you the biggest leaps. Patience however is a rare thing amongst most players here but it's how you enjoy playing the game which defines how you invest your hard earned hood cash. Nicholost is entirely correct in pointing out the upgrade build times which can be the difference between upgrading vs a new build.

kinghansen
04-11-2012, 04:36 PM
Again Marginal Utility of Income MUI vs ROI. You really need to identify the long term, patience actually gives you the biggest leaps. Patience however is a rare thing amongst most players here but it's how you enjoy playing the game which defines how you invest your hard earned hood cash. Nicholost is entirely correct in pointing out the upgrade build times which can be the difference between upgrading vs a new build.

Okay here's my problem with ROI and following a ROI strategy, all of the buildings that have a good ROI have a minimal hourly output. For example, some of the bets buildings, as far as ROI, are things like: gas stations, barbershops, gun shop, collection agencies, tattoo parlors, etc. These all have crap for hourly outputs, even at level 10. Not to mention they all have a horrible Marginal Utility of Income, $/h/h, as you call it. Therefore, you are spending a whole lot of time upgrading buildings that don’t really increase your hourly income by much. Sure you’ll get your money back quickly, but what’s that really do for you when it’s a minimal amount of cash.

schnuffler
04-11-2012, 05:04 PM
The metric I use at the moment is:

real $ per hour gain / ((upgrade or build cost / Current Hourly Income) + build or upgrade time)

What this does for me is factor in how long it takes to SAVE for the upgrade or build as well as how long it takes to build. I aim to always have something upgrading, and typically upgrade the building with the best return under this metric that I can afford at that point in time.

Note: for my current hourly income I use my "real" income as opposed to what the game states my hourly income is. Fortunately for me, due to almost exclusively having 12 / 24 / 48 hour buildings, my real income is only $10000 hr less than my ticket income.
I also use a factored income per hour figure, that tells me how much real income I am likely to expect from a build or upgrade. Eg, while the ticket income on a nightclub is $32083 per hour (tycoon), my expected income for a nightclub is $20052 because I miss a collection while I'm asleep, and expect it to be robbed.

As far as my next upgrades go, a lvl 3 rock cafe has a metric of 112.1, building a new nightclub is 101.6 and lvl 2 gentlemans club is 98.5. On the other end of the scale a lvl 2 crematorium is 20.8, lvll 4 brownstone is 22.7 and a lvl 8 movie theatre is 26.0

kinghansen
04-11-2012, 05:09 PM
^ I like this metric.

I do something similar to make sure that I will be able to afford certain upgrades as well and always have something upgrading.