PDA

View Full Version : Is it better to...

Santa
04-10-2012, 05:20 PM
...do multiple, shorter, cheaper upgrades or do one big long expensive upgrade?

I'm at the point where my Loft and MT upgrades cost $1M+. I have some nice Type B buildings that also need to be upgraded. The Type B upgrades all cost around $300-500k and are much shorter compared to MT and Loft upgrades.

The only "cheap" upgrades I have are some level 3 t-shirt stands. I could get those to level 5-7, depending on the cost, while saving up for a Loft/MT upgrade. Or I could continue doing the Type B upgrades.

What do you guys suggest?

enahs1
04-10-2012, 05:24 PM
Big long expensive upgrades and get your laundromats to level 10 (if you don't have them already there)

mnju_03
04-10-2012, 05:26 PM
Big long expensive upgrades and get your laundromats to level 10 (if you don't have them already there)

Second that.

Santa
04-10-2012, 05:30 PM
Laundromats already at 10. Ice Cream Shoppes at 10. Italians at 7. Dominicans at 4. Movie Theaters at 4. Lofts at 1 and 2. Brownstones, Wholesale Warehouses, Beachside Inns, Smoke Shops, and Iternet Companies at 2. Houses at 6. Pizza Parlors at 5. Pawn Shops at 6. Tattoo Parlors at 6. T-Shirt stands at 3. Comedy Clubs, Shoe Stores, and Beach Nightclubs at 1. Barbershops at 2 and 3.

Please advise. :)

Babytway
04-10-2012, 05:30 PM
i just upgrade whatever i feel like at the time, right nowi think im upgrading a pizza parlor because i wanted too lol.

mnju_03
04-10-2012, 05:31 PM
i just upgrade whatever i feel like at the time, right nowi think im upgrading a pizza parlor because i wanted too lol.

Can I get a slice? :P

enahs1
04-10-2012, 05:32 PM
Laundromats already at 10. Ice Cream Shoppes at 10. Italians at 7. Dominicans at 4. Movie Theaters at 4. Lofts at 1 and 2. Brownstones, Wholesale Warehouses, Beachside Inns, Smoke Shops, and Iternet Companies at 2. Houses at 6. Pizza Parlors at 5. Pawn Shops at 6. Tattoo Parlors at 6. T-Shirt stands at 3. Comedy Clubs, Shoe Stores, and Beach Nightclubs at 1. Barbershops at 2 and 3.

Dang... Upgrade your lofts :)

reidos
04-10-2012, 05:33 PM
do a cheap/long upgrade while saving for an expensive one.

Giedrius
04-10-2012, 05:34 PM
Think long term - big upgrades. Eventualy you will have to get rid of all early buildings or spend loads on extentions. On ly early buildings i have is lofts and Movie Theaters.

nvbealone
04-10-2012, 05:48 PM
Think long term - big upgrades. Eventualy you will have to get rid of all early buildings or spend loads on extentions. On ly early buildings i have is lofts and Movie Theaters.

depends on individual i guess? my goal is to have 2 of each building. so far im coping it well and have never sold a single building. the last i counted, i was left with 12 types of buidlings if my memory doesnt fail me.

Walter
04-10-2012, 06:13 PM
Those Italian restaurants will come in BIG while saving to upgrade those lofts.

murf
04-10-2012, 07:54 PM

I have both my Italians at level 10 now, by upgrading them whenever I needed to save money for large upgrades or high end new buildings. They are still a good investment all the way to L10 in my opinion. Just not a priority, so I did it when I needed to save.

white frog
04-10-2012, 08:04 PM
Try the goal calculator and see what it tells you!

emcee
04-10-2012, 08:04 PM
You should aim for minimum level 6 movie theaters and level 4 lofts. Get that 2nd loft to level 2 asap. When saving up for these larger upgrades level up Italian restaurants.

Ram
04-10-2012, 08:55 PM
Delete the game and go do your homework!

reidos
04-10-2012, 09:04 PM
Delete the game and go do your homework!

haha best advice on this thread!

Chiefer
04-10-2012, 09:36 PM
You should aim for minimum level 6 movie theaters and level 4 lofts. Get that 2nd loft to level 2 asap. When saving up for these larger upgrades level up Italian restaurants.

This is sure money.

Brosiss
04-10-2012, 09:57 PM
My approach is to upgrade buildings that takes the least amt of time at cost effectiveness.
This way, my returns is faster but gradual.

BDouble
04-11-2012, 03:48 AM
I'm in a similar situation. i just upgraded my second loft to level 2 and now i am wondering whether i should continue to save and upgrade the lofts or make a start on upgrading the movie theatre (lvl 4), dom restaurant (lvl 4) or internet company (lvl 2) all of which cost around one million each.

i need muney
04-11-2012, 09:49 AM
If you dont want to mess with the numbers - just stick to ROI. Unless you get robbed alot, it'll keep you going :)

frenda
04-11-2012, 10:18 AM

+1 I'm like that too. I think following a spreadsheet strictly takes the fun out of the game and makes it too formulaic. (it's a word, look it up) :D

erik
04-11-2012, 10:43 AM
If you dont want to mess with the numbers - just stick to ROI. Unless you get robbed alot, it'll keep you going :)

+1. Using the sheets can be your best guide Santa. Takes a lot of the guessing out, especially early on.

The most important thing is to ALWAYS have you upgrades running. If you next best choice on the ROI means waiting for more cash for 8 hrs... dont. Pick another one that is similar in ROI, but cheap, and keeps you going while you earn more.

If you dont have the sheet handy, MTs and Lofts are always safe. After I had done the early strategy w/ ice cream, LM, italian, etc... to build a cash flow, I focused on these 2. Loft when I could afford, MT when I needed a longer build to earn money for lofts and new buildings.

Doms up to 4 are a nice quick boost, but are short turnarounds and eat your cash, so plan well.

Also , if you need to have a low cost upgrade while your cash builds, you may want to keep the collection time in mind once you start approaching mid levels. I no longer upgrade 1hrs or 3hrs, and will eventually delete/leave looted to maintain sanity and explosives.

Pizza Parlour Babytway? lol, you are like that Honey Badger.

Ramshutu
04-11-2012, 10:44 AM

Am I the only one who thinks that laundromats are not worth the time and effort it takes to upgrade them? They give you a massive "$\hr" increase, but realistically only add a microscopic fraction of that "$\hr" in the real world. While looking at my hood, my "$\hr" sucks, but I can collect about 95% of my theoretical. It would go up to 99.9 if I sold my level 5 lm, and stayed up till 1am two nights a week.

erik
04-11-2012, 10:50 AM
Ramshutu,

It depends, but in most cases, yes.

It is an early game item that allows a boost that no other building offers for newbs. If they play fairly often (as most reading this do) it will be reasonably utilized.

It is also a cheap upgrade, and allows for cash building.

It is also good for upgrading over family weekends, events and other things that takes one away :)

PS I played EQ from Beta! When did you give up the crack?

Ramshutu
04-11-2012, 11:23 AM
Ramshutu,

It depends, but in most cases, yes.

It is an early game item that allows a boost that no other building offers for newbs. If they play fairly often (as most reading this do) it will be reasonably utilized.

It is also a cheap upgrade, and allows for cash building.

It is also good for upgrading over family weekends, events and other things that takes one away :)

PS I played EQ from Beta! When did you give up the crack?

Bah, I upgraded to level 5 on the lm, and always found something better to upgrade in its place. At low levels, it does help, but when I'm collecting 1.5 million in pretty much one go every day, collecting the pittance that the laundromat doesn't really make a dent, even if I collected a hundred times in an evening.

PS gave up in 2004? Ish?, cant remember exactly. I know it was just after FoH completed Planes of Power and a few months after one guild I can't remember killed the Sleeper.

richard118
04-12-2012, 04:12 AM
i always upgrade my lofts and mt and other 12/24 hour buildings before all else. even if it takes a gazillion hours, it's nice to see a big boost in income when it's done.