PDA

View Full Version : In Game Chat- Your Thoughts?

L Fizzle
04-10-2012, 03:17 PM
If there were to be an in game chat.... What would you like it to have feature wise? Tell me your thoughts. Share!

L Fizzle

Santa
04-10-2012, 03:31 PM
Yes please! A friends list for chats only would be nice. Real time chat?

Ghost818
04-10-2012, 03:32 PM
If its a work in progress, why not. I'm assuming it would be with people in your mafia, so enhancing a sorting/search method for people in your mafia would be nice. Perhaps by level? This was kind of unexpected, never thought we would need one. Needs to sink in before I can think of any features. However for the rivals list it would be nice to be able to sort them? a filter perhaps? (I'm pushing it aren't I)

Dipstik
04-10-2012, 03:34 PM
An ignore feature for sure.

Burn
04-10-2012, 03:50 PM
I don't know why people are working on these superfluos things when all we really want are fully functional X-ray specs.

Or the real answer...

Excellent tool for exchanging 'live' information....

"I am currently attacking a player called XXXXX at level XXX, I am out of stamina and he still has Dominicans up for grabs, come join the feeding frenzy"

Also be cool if you can add other players to a 'Gang' and that gang can then all be messaged as a group, or involved in the same 'live' discussion. Adds a whole new potential for orchestrated team play.

Rat Catching will be much much more fun ;)

Ghost818
04-10-2012, 03:52 PM
Oh Oh dont forget to read the thread in my signature!!!

Ram
04-10-2012, 03:55 PM
Search mode so I can find my friends in-game!

duelblade
04-10-2012, 04:50 PM
I vote yes

iteachem
04-10-2012, 05:05 PM
Anything that could allow tactics to develop would be a welcome addition

reidos
04-10-2012, 05:09 PM
Before you introduce these new features could you please fix simple things like crashing, PLEASE?

Babytway
04-10-2012, 05:48 PM
in game chat would be awesome im all for it. I would really like to be able to sell of weapons/vehicles that im not using for cash

xclusiv
04-10-2012, 06:08 PM
realtime chat, ability to visit there profile from chat, ability to chat anonymously, ignore feature,
can go into private chat with other player, spam prevention

ccjammie
04-10-2012, 07:01 PM
I would never use this, so something that would make me invisible. Don't see the point when there are so many better things you could be working on.

Nicholost
04-10-2012, 07:02 PM
I also like the chat concept. This new feature would need to have the following features to be useful:

Real-time screen updating. When a message is sent, the recipient's screen should update as the message is received. There should be no need to close a window, hit refresh, or perform any other voodoo to make the screen display the new message.
Recent conversations are saved to be viewed again until a certain limit is reached; maximum number of saved conversations or maximum time saved (e.g. 7 days). Many times it is necessary to review past conversations.
The entire conversation must be visible. What makes the current in-game messaging feature challenging to use (and quite crappy) is that you cannot see your response on your own wall. You have to jump back and forth between your wall and the person you are messaging to see the entire conversation. For the new feature to be useful, all incoming and outgoing messages must be visible. The text messaging feature on the iPhone with the offset dialog boxes makes it especially easy to follow conversations. Just say'n...
The ability to leave the conversation to participate in game activities and then return to the conversation. Likewise, the user should be able to leave the app, return, and pick up the conversation at a later time. (This is necessary because sometimes the app leaves for you. http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h257/nicklepics/nothing%20of%20use/Emoticons/rolleyes.gif)
An additional option should be provided that allows a user to independently mute/un-mute game sounds and game music. Personally, I would play with the game music turned off, but the new-message sounds (assuming there will be sounds) turned on.
The ability to participate in multiple conversations. This may be a tricky one to code, but there will be a use case where a user is participating in a conversation and receives a new messaging request. The user will need the ability to easily switch between messaging sessions without dropping an existing session.

Folks are welcome to add to this list. I recommend adding justification to any proposed features. Devs hate coding just to code. If they can't come up with the use case, they simply will not write-in that feature. Trust me.

Search mode so I can find my friends in-game!
Additionally, this needs to be addressed as well. At a minimum, the mafia list should be sorted (alphabetically makes the most sense). If a search feature is too difficult to implement, at least provide a "starred" feature where starred mafia show up at the top of the list. This would allow players to easily find mafia members whom they converse with frequently.

I would really like to be able to sell of weapons/vehicles that im not using for cash
Another very good suggestion that should be implemented in a later release.

Aid
04-10-2012, 07:27 PM
Additionally, this needs to be addressed as well. At a minimum, the mafia list should be sorted (alphabetically makes the most sense). If a search feature is too difficult to implement, at least provide a "starred" feature where starred mafia show up at the top of the list. This would allow players to easily find mafia members whom they converse with frequently.

This assumes that the bulk of messages will be from fellow mafia members. It would almost seem easier to keep mafia and chat buddies separate.

Chiefer
04-10-2012, 07:28 PM
Being able to control your friend's list, and toggle the view options. So you can effectively manage your mafia. And, the people in it. So I can find people in the my list for the chat.

Nicholost
04-10-2012, 07:30 PM
This assumes that the bulk of messages will be from fellow mafia members. It would almost seem easier to keep mafia and chat buddies separate.
I agree. I only want to "chat" with my own mafia. What I am, and I think Ram is, referring to is the ability to find your own mafia. Right now, it's a disorganized mess. There's no logical sorting and the paging is slow and tedious. I just want to be able to easily find my favorite mafia members so I can ever strike up a conversation.

EDIT: Yeah, what Chiefer said. He's clearly a faster typist than I am.

Aid
04-10-2012, 07:34 PM
Totally agree the mafia list is a complete mess, but it really is separate from in game chat. Many others want ability to chat with people in game and not necessarily in their mafia, and tying the function to the mafia list will result in less than desired chat function.

Chiefer
04-10-2012, 07:39 PM
I agree. I only want to "chat" with my own mafia. What I am, and I think Ram is, referring to is the ability to find your own mafia. Right now, it's a disorganized mess. There's no logical sorting and the paging is slow and tedious. I just want to be able to easily find my favorite mafia members so I can ever strike up a conversation.

EDIT: Yeah, what Chiefer said. He's clearly a faster typist than I am.

No.... I deleted my post I had on the thread earlier because you intentionally over talked me. So I posted it again.

Nicholost
04-10-2012, 07:46 PM
Totally agree the mafia list is a complete mess, but it really is separate from in game chat. Many others want ability to chat with people in game and not necessarily in their mafia, and tying the function to the mafia list will result in less than desired chat function.
I could see the use-case for that. I agree, chat should be a feature available with any member.

No.... I deleted my post I had on the thread earlier because you intentionally over talked me. So I posted it again.
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h257/nicklepics/nothing%20of%20use/Emoticons/skep.gif

G Wiz
04-10-2012, 08:17 PM
I need chat this to make my mini wars with people that more entertaining.

What are the current specs of this chat featurethat you guys were thinking Fiz?

Will it be a CC wide thing? Maybe a level oriented chat, or, like others have said, a mob chat? Either way, it needs to be real time and it will need mod functions to mute and block offenders.

cookies
04-11-2012, 04:45 AM
A sortable, manageable mob/friendlist. Ideally it would be sortable by name, level and mafia size at the very least. It could also be sortable by various other stats like attack/defense or fight statistics.

Since everyone pretty much has a different group of people in their mob than the next person, it could be practical to have a friendlist on top of the mafia list in an extra layer to chat with, and/or allow the creation of custom channels that can be passworded.

i need muney
04-11-2012, 05:25 AM
There are far more important things that require effort, me thinks.
If this game had basic tools for managing contacts and an inbox that would pretty much do it for now.
I strongly feel that with no mechanics for COOP there not much use for group chats other than flood, flame and spam.

Brosiss
04-11-2012, 06:26 AM
This is really bold move Fizzle. 1st of its kind with in-game chat, at least for me. It's going to be a great deal and a breakthrough if it works. Lots of mechanics and design to consider. Good to keep it as simple as possible.

1. Message flooding/ spam must be considered
2. Ability to mute players and filter their messages out.
3. Option to choose global / friends chat.

+10 for your idea!

doinkent
04-11-2012, 06:32 AM
dont mean to be negative but i think its pointless..
also will probably slow the game down

enahs1
04-11-2012, 08:15 AM
I like this idea +1

frenda
04-11-2012, 10:06 AM
You are all missing the best feature of chat!!! The ability to select "loot M4A1" with every message sent toggle. ;)

erik
04-11-2012, 10:31 AM
I would love to have a friends list that exists outside of your mafia. To be honest, the mafia list is very cumbersome to navigate and I no longer add friends to my mafia, as it is easier to visit them as I randomly see them. (Excludes old friends and friends under 142!) Fix mafia list? :)

Allow for mass friend list messages (not mafia wide spammage msg)

Have a unique alert for msgs.

Have each of Rams messages pre-screened for offensive content when communicating with individuals with female avatars :)

PS. Great work w/ the forum Lfizzle.

ISA DOG
04-11-2012, 11:48 AM
Not a bad idea but it will notably slow the game. Without a private chat function that ll be trash.
Everything other was said before, probably my post isnt fresh too...

deuces
04-11-2012, 11:50 AM
If its a general chat, please assign chat moderators. Otherwise there will be people constantly spamming mafia codes and other random nonsense.

Amber_
04-11-2012, 02:10 PM
Yeah why not? :)

ronm99
04-11-2012, 06:06 PM
Before you introduce these new features could you please fix simple things like crashing, PLEASE?

This gets my vote also. Crashes and invisible buildings top my list.

i need muney
04-11-2012, 06:43 PM
This gets my vote also. Crashes and invisible buildings top my list.
And invisible people at Octagon after cache purges.

richard118
04-11-2012, 06:49 PM
Not sure if in game chat is all that important. I mean, most people login to cc, do their thang, and leave. They dont hang around to chit chat. I do appreciate funzio's efforts to try and keep its players 'in the game' longer though.

Sasha54
04-12-2012, 12:26 PM
Not that important to me - although having a better way to navigate the friends list would be a benefit.

Things I would prefer before this are:

ability to upgrade or build more than 1 building at a time
faster build times - are these times really necessary?? - I doubt it

more selection of avatars and ability to customize for FREE - why do we need to pay for a hairstyle - and I'm tired of looking at the same avatars time after time

just a few things that I deem would make the game better as opposed to a chat function

Sasha54
04-12-2012, 12:29 PM
another thing

when I visit my mob's hood - would like to be able to click on their buildings to see what they are.

Lola Gets
04-12-2012, 03:52 PM
If you add in game chat please include an option through which users can disable it.

xclusiv
04-12-2012, 05:49 PM
how bout a forum shout box

Jill
04-13-2012, 02:48 AM
Dont see the point here. If I wanted a chat site I would join one....

+1 deuces - agree totally

frenda
04-16-2012, 12:35 PM
Yeah why not? :)

Kewl, I wanna chat with Amber... just kidding... LOL.

L Fizzle
04-16-2012, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the feedback on this!