PDA

View Full Version : Opinion needed: Buy gold for dice?

Kavai
04-09-2012, 10:00 PM
Alright....

I am at 9 pendants and I have 2 more opens left.

I am an economy builder so this is a massive bonus for me to really get my income churning.

My stats:
Level 86
268 Mafia Members
IPH: $97,484
7711 Attack
9760 Defense

I already spent 120 gold I saved up from the free gold bonus (initially planned for my wedding chapels) on getting the dice. No dice so far.

I just feel if I give up this 25% bonus others are going to catch up and catch up very quickly leveling their hoods. And if that happens my ambitions to really deck out my att/def is probably shot.

What would you guys do? Should I buy 1500 gold and open the 102 boxes I have left to get it?

Or should I just do my best to just improve my hood even tho over time I am on my way to mediocrity?

reidos
04-09-2012, 10:07 PM
Your choice. If you do decide to spend Gold, set a limit of how much you'll spend and don't exceed it. Although chances are you'll get it without spending much gold as many other have. Good luck :)

Ram
04-09-2012, 10:07 PM
don't worry you will get it before the ending!

Kavai
04-09-2012, 10:11 PM
1 more open left. Failed the last one. I am holding you responsible Ram!

I did rob 21454 / 666 times. If I dont get it I will find you and pillage your laundromats! :D

Nicholost
04-09-2012, 10:16 PM
negative, buddy. Buy 1500g worth of crates and gold buildings. Guaranteed outcome. If you do decide to use more gold on this event, do so with the understanding that you could use all 1500g and still not have anything to show for it.

erik
04-09-2012, 10:17 PM
I spent 615 from 9 to 10, and I suppose it could have been a lot worse. (11 were no rush)

Anecdotal response has been that this event may have been easier... but I sure havent seen many of these out there yet.

GL in whatever you choose to do.

Xira
04-09-2012, 10:22 PM
It took me over 800 I believe now when I look back to rush 9-10 with a few hours left. I would say there is a chance you don't get it with 1500, but from all the odds I have seen it would be a low chance of failure....

If you plan on still playing this game 6 months from now, it's absolutely worth it if you can afford it. We're talking about months of saved upgrade time. Ignore Nicholost, he's to busy picking his nose to run the long term numbers... Hehe

Nicholost
04-09-2012, 10:30 PM
If you plan on still playing this game 6 months from now, it's absolutely worth it if you can afford it. We're talking about months of saved upgrade time. Ignore Nicholost, he's to busy picking his nose to run the long term numbers... Hehe

That's true. You are welcome to ignore me, the wise ones do, but do consider my last point about understanding that you could never get it even with 1500g. Xira is probably right, that likely wont happen, but it is still a very real possibility.

Kavai
04-09-2012, 10:34 PM
Xira's point is what I am concerned about. I already "retired" from the game once only to come back a few weeks later out of boredom and my stats went up 8 fold on income and attack within 2 months of resuming. I dunno if I will burn out again soon (more so if I see people zooming past me in stats with the dice).

It just feels like some folks will have a huge advantage on my strategy with the dice.

But: I'm probably going with Nicholost. If I don't get it I am not gonna spend gold. I am probably going to save all the gold I get to buy gold buildings or items instead, even tho at a snails pace.

Now this would be a very interesting opportunity to see if I can keep up with the big dogs with no event items as a challenge....

Nicholost
04-09-2012, 10:55 PM
Hm just got it. Used 210 gold altogether. I think u should be fine.

Dang it JennyJJ, I'm fighting a similar battle as the OP and you aren't helping. :p. If I knew I could get #10 for 210g, I'd be buying right now. I just don't like gambling on unknown odds.

Giedrius
04-09-2012, 11:00 PM
It took me 360 gold from 9-10. 12 resets/opens. Go for it.

deuces
04-09-2012, 11:05 PM
cost me 270 from 8-10 last night. gl OP and Nicholost.

Kavai
04-09-2012, 11:11 PM
and......

failed.

No dice. No bonus. This economy building strategy is going to have to be adjusted.

I am interested in seeing if in 6 months my stats will hold up tho. If I can figure out a way an upgrade strategy to stay at the top 10% of players on my level I'd be very happy. Thoughts on whether that's doable? Or would law of accelerating returns kick my ass?

Nicholost
04-09-2012, 11:13 PM
Well, you guys and your peer pressure paid off. Natas/Whip88 was emailing me as well nudging me to spend gold. I dropped 105g (6 resets & 1 open) and got it. Freaking rad. Now do I drop the remaining gold purchase on crates or hold out for some of the more lucrative gold buildings that open up after level 102 (lvl 93 currently).
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h257/nicklepics/nothing%20of%20use/CrimeCity/346d5f94.jpg

Kavai, best of luck to you, bud. http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h257/nicklepics/nothing%20of%20use/Emoticons/thumbsup.gif

Kavai
04-09-2012, 11:16 PM
Arg more peer pressure. MUST RESIST :P

Nicholost
04-09-2012, 11:20 PM
Arg more peer pressure. MUST RESIST :P

Sorry, buddy. Kinda caught up in the moment right now and not making sound judgement calls. Plus, I'm kinda doing this http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h257/nicklepics/nothing%20of%20use/Emoticons/banana.gif ATM.

deuces
04-09-2012, 11:28 PM
woooot nice job Nicholas!

Kavai
04-09-2012, 11:33 PM
I am gonna stay disciplined. I always was proud of my stats and that I never spent a dime of RM in-game. In my brackets typically only 1 in 20 or so players have better stats.

I am going to try to see if I can develop a strategy for the stubborn/broke players who doesn't have any bonus items. I'm level 86 right now dominating my competition with just an aggressive robbery-for-respect tactic.

If in 6 months I slip beyond the top 10% mark for my bracket/level, then it just proves most of us might need to find new hobbies before we erode into the pits with our stats competitively.

Fredo
04-09-2012, 11:37 PM
Based on what most people were saying, I decided to spend some gold too to get the last one for the dice. I didn't have as much luck as most of you, but it dropped on the 17th open - so 510 gold spent in total, which I don't think is too bad all things considered and because I am a heavily economy focused player. I still have the gold to get the high income buildings when I level up. Incidentally, I'm the same level as Nicholost (93)...

ccjammie
04-09-2012, 11:38 PM
Well I guess for everyone that says how easy it is... There is some sucker like me who just blew $100 between 9-10 and got no dice to show for it. I could cry!

What kills me is I never use gold before the events. I didn't use gold for the first event and then everyone on these forums says they spent like $20 to get the Sig. So next event I finally bought for the first time and I actually got the burner! And then it's been downhill since then.

I think once gold is bought, it's hard to stop. I feel like a jerk now to the point I might just quit.

Fredo
04-09-2012, 11:44 PM
Ugh - I'm really sorry to hear that.

Kavai
04-09-2012, 11:52 PM
I think the idea so many people has it is the part where it really burns.

I've collected 18-19 times each day on every event and no item every time, so if the game is giving me that kinda odds and luck, I guess I am just gonna have to find a strategy to outsmart these stacked odds.