PDA

View Full Version : Forum posting suggestion: Don't be THAT Guy

Mcdoc
04-06-2012, 06:59 PM
Hey guys . . . to cut down on the length of posts, when you reply to a really really really long quote, you don't need to "reply with quote" and clutter up the thread. Since there is no NEW information in a very very very long post - no one is actually going to re-read that post inside YOUR reply (especially if it is right above it or on the same page).

Same goes with posts that have pictures in them . . . no need to reply with quote, we already saw the picture in the original post.

The real purpose of the "reply with quote" should be to pull a segment of the quote that you are specifically addressing . . . unless it is already a simple one or two sentence post to begin with.

Example: @Bigflan . . .please go back and edit your 1st reply to my thread on Next Event suggestions and delete all the quoted text - it just looks cluttered AND you post is immediately below the original. Not to pick on you - but as soon as I saw that you were the 1st person to reply to my thread, I just expected that you were going to be THAT Guy :)

Just a simple request to keep the forums a little easier to navigate.

Feel free to use this thread to post your forum posting annoyances as well (except for you bigflan - LoL)

Warfiend
04-06-2012, 07:02 PM
Hey guys . . . to cut down on the length of posts, when you reply to a really really really long quote, you don't need to "reply with quote" and clutter up the thread. Since there is no NEW information in a very very very long post - no one is actually going to re-read that post inside YOUR reply (especially if it is right above it or on the same page).

Same goes with posts that have pictures in them . . . no need to reply with quote, we already saw the picture in the original post.

The real purpose of the "reply with quote" should be to pull a segment of the quote that you are specifically addressing . . . unless it is already a simple one or two sentence post to begin with.

Example: @Bigflan . . .please go back and edit your 1st reply to my thread on Next Event suggestions and delete all the quoted text - it just looks cluttered AND you post is immediately below the original. Not to pick on you - but as soon as I saw that you were the 1st person to reply to my thread, I just expected that you were going to be THAT Guy :)

Just a simple request to keep the forums a little easier to navigate.

Feel free to use this thread to post your forum posting annoyances as well (except for you bigflan - LoL)

Will keep that in mind.

overkill 280
04-06-2012, 07:02 PM
Well said Mcdoc :)

War Priest
04-06-2012, 07:03 PM
Haha man I was trying to hint that to Flan in your other thread. Especially when your the first person to reply, they KNOW your talking to them, you don't need to quote!

bigflan
04-06-2012, 07:03 PM
There I fixed my posts

Thunder Child
04-06-2012, 07:05 PM
Will keep that in mind.
You just did it! Oops, so did I...

Mcdoc
04-06-2012, 07:05 PM
Ha HA - I saw that you did it to my Uber Unit post too - LoL

Thanks for fixing them. I was just using you as an immediate example, but trust me - SO man others have done it before :)

Got nothin but love for ya Bigflan :)

LOL @ Warfiend - a.k.a - THAT Guy in this thread :O

War Priest
04-06-2012, 07:07 PM
Example: @Bigflan

Flan, when your talking to somebody specific with a long post, you can say "@War Priest" for example. That points to the person your replying to so you don't have to quote. This is a small reply so there is no problem quoting something like this. I noticed you quoted a guy in another sub forum that had like 1000 images posted and you quoted him. I spent like 40 seconds scrolling past those two threads. It's just a big time waster.

bigflan
04-06-2012, 07:10 PM
Hey have you guys ever looked at the posting guidelines

War Priest
04-06-2012, 07:43 PM
Hey have you guys ever looked at the posting guidelines

Yes, why? Hope your not mad man, we are just trying to make it easier for you and everybody else. No harm meant.

bigflan
04-06-2012, 07:45 PM
No I m sayin I've never looked at it and only 1000 of all forum user actually looked at it

Thunder Child
04-06-2012, 07:47 PM
Rearrange these words: thin air a number pull out of...

bigflan
04-06-2012, 07:48 PM
Rearrange these words: thin air a number pull out of...Pull a number out of thin air

Thunder Child
04-06-2012, 07:49 PM
You're good!

bigflan
04-06-2012, 07:51 PM
You're good!Um it was pretty easy

Thunder Child
04-06-2012, 07:53 PM
Don't even know you, Flan, but I love you!

Chiefer
04-06-2012, 08:02 PM
I don't think this would matter 2 days from now. How is every body doing?

overkill 280
04-06-2012, 08:03 PM
K...Where's my tub of popcorn! ;)

Chiefer
04-06-2012, 08:05 PM
K...Where's my tub of popcorn! ;)

They still got it 2 days ago "fresh" at the local movie theater.

Dreno33
04-06-2012, 10:26 PM
Will keep that in mind.

hahahahahahahaahahahahah. funny shhit(:

ya bigflan tends to do that. even if he's the first to comment on a thread. lol

StuN
04-07-2012, 12:01 AM
Oops, sorry I just did that on another thread

Mcdoc
04-07-2012, 12:58 AM
Oops, sorry I just did that on another threadIt's an easy fix - go back and edit the comment and just delete the part between (QUOTE) :)

StuN
04-07-2012, 01:36 AM
Edited & sorted 😉