PDA

View Full Version : In Game Chat: Your Thoughts

L Fizzle
04-06-2012, 02:37 PM
Hey Modern War Soldiers!

If there were to be an in game chat.... What would you like it to have feature wise? Tell me your thoughts. Share!

Happy Friday!

L Fizzle

bigflan
04-06-2012, 02:42 PM
Hey Modern War Soldiers!

If there were to be an in game chat.... What would you like it to have feature wise? Tell me your thoughts. Share!

Happy Friday!

L Fizzle Thanks fizzle I want a chat with allies and people and rivals and a notification for any allies on the game on the present moment and be able to send mail to people in game

LightingBlitz
04-06-2012, 02:58 PM
I don't know about that..Leaving comments is just fine with me.

Mcdoc
04-06-2012, 03:22 PM
When I want to chat with players - I come here. Not real sure that The "in-game chat" would add anything to the gaming experience except more heckling and hate posts amongst players. However, I would suggest that maybe the next time you have a "Name this Limited Edition Item" contest that you guys add an opening splash screen with the details and a link to this forum. I bet 75% of the gamers don't even know about the forum and are missing out on a whole perspective of the game experience by not exchanging ideas with other players. I refer people on my wall here all the time and they come back and thank me for helping them finally see how the game is supposed to be played.

bigflan
04-06-2012, 03:27 PM
When I want to chat with players - I come here. Not real sure that The "in-game chat" would add anything to the gaming experience except more heckling and hate posts amongst players. However, I would suggest that maybe the next time you have a "Name this Limited Edition Item" contest that you guys add an opening splash screen with the details and a link to this forum. I bet 75% of the gamers don't even know about the forum and are missing out on a whole perspective of the game experience by not exchanging ideas with other players. I refer people on my wall here all the time and they come back and thank me for helping them finally see how the game is supposed to be played.Please don't I have an advantage but If they use this then I lose it and under funzio I'd it says there is a forum so there is really nothing here and less competition sorry if I sound like a jerk but it's a competition game

Thunder Child
04-06-2012, 03:32 PM
When I want to chat with players - I come here. Not real sure that The "in-game chat" would add anything to the gaming experience except more heckling and hate posts amongst players. However, I would suggest that maybe the next time you have a "Name this Limited Edition Item" contest that you guys add an opening splash screen with the details and a link to this forum. I bet 75% of the gamers don't even know about the forum and are missing out on a whole perspective of the game experience by not exchanging ideas with other players. I refer people on my wall here all the time and they come back and thank me for helping them finally see how the game is supposed to be played.
Going to be boring today and simply say, what he said!

Mcdoc
04-06-2012, 03:39 PM
Please don't I have an advantage but If they use this then I lose it and under funzio I'd it says there is a forum so there is really nothing hereWow - spoken like someone with selfless interest :)

bigflan
04-06-2012, 03:41 PM
Wow - spoken like someone with selfless interest :)Its asking the question why help your enemy and also I found out about the forum on the Funzio ID screen so if they don't see it it's there loss

War Priest
04-06-2012, 03:47 PM
I am not really into the chat feature. I don't know how it would even work. Most of the players probably wouldn't even be on when we wanted to chat. The comments page and forums are fine with me. Chatting is just another reason for a lag and gaming problems. I don't even see what there is to talk about in a chat...

bigflan
04-06-2012, 03:50 PM
I am not really into the chat feature. I don't know how it would even work. Most of the players probably wouldn't even be on when we wanted to chat. The comments page and forums are fine with me. Chatting is just another reason for a lag and gaming problems. I don't even see what there is to talk about in a chat...Yah I don't want a in game chat feature not much to talk about and not many people to chat with

Fedup
04-06-2012, 03:56 PM
I know am just new here and everything, but am not liking the in game chat feature idea.

I think if you go and fight someone and beat them down to a pulp or raid lol, they might just hit up their much stronger mates to come and pummel you. I already think that there is a lot of that in the game already but it will become much more vindictive with real time chat. I for one dont want nasty messages sent to me all the time, as its just a game and i do like the anonyminity of it as it is.

War Priest
04-06-2012, 04:00 PM
Out of all the things listed in yesterday's sticky thread, this is my least liked. -1 for chat feature.

bigflan
04-06-2012, 04:01 PM
Out of all the things listed in yesterday's sticky thread, this is my least liked. -1 for chat feature.So even my turret operater is a better idea

Ramshutu
04-06-2012, 04:23 PM
I actually thin it's a good idea, it would make the game more social, but would depend on how it's implemented.

Sugarymama
04-06-2012, 04:41 PM
I'm not too keen on the idea. Doesn't the comments section allow for some chatting? (albeit limited?) I really can't see myself talking much while I'm playing...

War Priest
04-06-2012, 04:45 PM
I actually thin it's a good idea, it would make the game more social, but would depend on how it's implemented.

Yeah, and talk about what? Tell your allies your going to the mall tomorrow and the movies later tonight? There is no reason to talk. And when you do that's what the comments are for. I just don't get what there is to talk about honestly. Obviously people are going to chat it up about none game realated topics so I say no. That is what MSN and Yahoo chat messengers are for.

War Priest
04-06-2012, 04:46 PM
I'm not too keen on the idea. Doesn't the comments section allow for some chatting? (albeit limited?) I really can't see myself talking much while I'm playing...

Exactly. People log on, do a few missions and attacks, then close out and get on later. It isn't a program for talking about what you had for lunch.

bigflan
04-06-2012, 04:47 PM
Yes yes yes I opened a crate like every one told me too and got a tomcat super happy might not be much but it made my day

Sugarymama
04-06-2012, 04:49 PM
Exactly. People log on, do a few missions and attacks, then close out and get on later. It isn't a program for talking about what you had for lunch.

Lol...exactly.

Hello Kitty
04-06-2012, 05:40 PM
I like the chat idea to supplement another form of communication versus jumping on and off the forum and dealing with the time lag from PMs and news feeds. I wouldn't mind an in-forum chat for that reason as well.

I keep my iPad open during the day and sweep my fast producing money buildings and it's almost always open during an event. I wouldn't mind having a list of my approved allies/friends and seeing that they are online and in-game.

Don't necessarily care to chat with rivals, news feed is OK for that; however, my experience in other games that offer a chat feature, tension was diffused rather than inflamed because of the instant ability to retort. I'm sure Funzio would still endorse/enforce etiquette and revoke rights for offenders. So if it extended to rivals, I'm OK with that too.

Chiefer
04-06-2012, 06:09 PM
Yes, Make a place for senior members. So we can find each other and possible attack each other. Crime City too right?

Colonelbob
04-06-2012, 06:25 PM
Dont really need in-game chat, but if you are planning on implementing it, would be nice to have sections:

World Chat - everyone
Alliance Chat - only allies
Private Chat Room - select allies / players only
Private Messages - with mailbox

Warfiend
04-06-2012, 06:54 PM
As long as it's implemented in such a way that it's easy to turn off and ignore, I wouldn't mind.

If it was implemented, especially a global chat, I can see the following problems it could easily lead to based on my experience in other games with such features:

1) Ganging up on people would become easier and more convenient and would happen more often, probably to far greater degrees of viciousness. Someone just attacked you back after you raided them? Go on global chat and tell a sob story leaving out the fact you attacked them first, and watch the white knights line up and do something about it.

2) Without sufficient precautions, it is guaranteed to be used as a platform for all kinds of hateful speech and threats. Internet tough guys seem to love global chats in games.

3) It will bring religion and politics into the game. People will chat at first about the game, run out of things to say, and then comes the religious and political BS. Then the interpersonal grudges really begin to grow and people start getting attacked for their religious and political viewpoints(or having views that are offensive to people's religious and political views). If it's implemented in a big election year like this one, it will be over the top bad, bringing huge levels of suckage to the global chat.

You could probably try to moderate for these things but depending on how many people are playing this game that could be a monumental undertaking.

War Priest
04-06-2012, 07:01 PM
I agree man. I see more problems than fun with the chat feature. There is already a problem with lag and memory that they disabled seeing decor on other's bases, let alone adding a chat feature.

If this is implemented, there better be a better blocking system than the one they have on comments now.

Mcdoc
04-06-2012, 07:17 PM
I have yet to read a convincing argument FOR an in-game chat that can't already be accomplished here in the Forums.

The Forum already brings a new level of Social interaction to the game. It's a place to exchange ideas, strategies, new suggestions, complaints - etc. Plus, with the forum, it becomes a valuable resource as it can be searched. A Real time chat falls away too quickly and does not have the long term advantages of a forum. Plus, if you're not online for the chat, you've missed the whole dialogue.

I strongly feel that the in-game chat will just become a platform for verbal abuse and also to gang up on other players, which in the long run will just ruin the in-game experience.

Just saying :)

marebear
04-06-2012, 08:42 PM
No thanks. I do think you should be able to delete comments after 1 being left instead of waiting for a second. I think cc already has that feature?

Shoes
04-07-2012, 12:34 AM
Cannot see any benefit in this chat facility instead please spend the programmers time fixing the instability when in pvp and the casualty rates

Sugarymama
04-07-2012, 06:27 AM
Cannot see any benefit in this chat facility instead please spend the programmers time fixing the instability when in pvp and the casualty rates

My thoughts exactly. Who cares about so much damn talking when we have a game to play??? I'm tired of losing an unreasonable number/level of units when i attack a scrub who has half the A/D as i do. (and I love to talk so that's saying something...)

Dreno33
04-07-2012, 07:36 AM
Dont really need in-game chat, but if you are planning on implementing it, would be nice to have sections:

World Chat - everyone
Alliance Chat - only allies
Private Chat Room - select allies / players only
Private Messages - with mailbox

+1

oh and don't forget rankings section on the in game chat for all to see!
some categories for in game chat:

By stats
By assets
By fights w/l ratio (not total)
By raids w/l ratio (not total)

All with the option/filter of ascending/descending order, by country, and by level.

Hello Kitty
04-07-2012, 09:59 AM
Re-post of a comment from another thread that supports the chat:

I want to put this constructive criticism out to you Dreno33 and other's who post like this. Not that many people talk on the forums. Most don't log on and chat, most just look for information. So when you and other's who constantly off topic gossip are seen posting in threads by the majority of people. They assume you know what your talking about. It's getting over bearing at this point what you guys are doing to the forum(s).... It's General Modern War. General Crime City. Not Off Topic or, general your daily life. Please use the forum correctly guys.

Stop ticking the post counter's you all got up. Stop competing at everyone else's expense. Your making knowledge hard to get causing a chain reaction that people keep asking the same question's in new threads and the like. Making it worse. Your causing congestion and Funzio has enough to deal with the spammer's as is obviously. Chill out with the posting because the in-game chat feature will give you your fix. If you want to post. Post in the thread regarding the in game chat feature. And, stop misusing the forum. It is not a popularity contest please spare us.

And, remember these forums are for information regarding game created by Funzio. They need to be for the service of anyone who plays the games to easily get information. Your making it hard on Funzio and the players.

I am an offender of the chatter and off-topic conversation, which is why I support an in-game/in-forum chat feature.

After reading the forum for over a month, I finally signed up for two reasons: 1) to join in the banter, because it's very enjoyable, and improves my overall Funzio game experience to share battle stories both in-game and out and 2) to feel more comfortable asking a game related question because it is difficult at times to search through the threads and find an answer because of the additional conversation (again, which I thoroughly enjoy).

An in-forum chat feature would be an nicer and quicker way to ask/comment OT. I try to use PM when going off topic (OT), but it is clunky and slow, so instead it’s more convenient to just respond in-thread.

An in-game chat feature would a good way to communicate directly with my friends and allies that can stay online perpetually versus the drive-by player that sweeps for money, clicks to upgrade/build and exits. I’ve used the news feed to communicate, but that too is clunky so I've jumped to the forum or used my cell phone to text instead. Having it in one application would be great.

Make it a toggle on/off option to satisfy both types of players. Offer an ignore certain players if they start to trash talk. It takes 2 to have an argument.

I don't know if there is a trade-off in development resources for requesting a feature (chat) versus a fixing a defect (performance improvements and A/D imbalance). If it’s the same resource pool, of course I would support sustaining engineering over new features.

overkill 280
04-07-2012, 10:07 AM
I agree with you Kitty, I like being able to talk to allies as well ;) And it just doesn't work very good the way it is now.

Acheron
04-07-2012, 06:19 PM
I've seen chat on similar games to this, you mostly get newbies asking dumb questions and people begging for gold.

Poopenshire
04-07-2012, 06:33 PM
I think from a criticality stand point this should be the last thing being worked on by developers until the loss rates are fixed or elucidated.

Ducati
04-07-2012, 08:53 PM
In one of the other games I play (global war) is in-game chat. Never read it because it is most of the time very childisch. Never saw it as a nice extra, just annoying.

JohnnyR
04-08-2012, 02:16 AM
Nay on chat.

I'd rather have a simple way to view and check out my real friend bases and post on their walls.

Just fixing the ally list so we can do this will accomplish a LOT.

Procyon
04-08-2012, 05:42 AM
No thanks to the chat. I really can't see using it. Like many have said, i think it would mostly lead to nasty messages and other debauchery. I can also see chat overload during an event; where are you finding the boxes? How are you opening them? Admittedly, those are things I and others have asked in this forum but it's limited and answers are there for everyone to see as opposed to possibly getting bombarded with the same query.

Maybe I'm just getting old and anti-social. Now get off my lawn! : )

overkill 280
04-08-2012, 07:26 AM
I think from a criticality stand point this should be the last thing being worked on by developers until the loss rates are fixed or elucidated. I agree with that statement, Umm...What do I call you? poop or shire? jk

Speed ump
04-08-2012, 08:48 AM
Most here don't seem to like the idea. Thats strange, but I think it's because most posters are not in the upper levels yet.
Up there, ther are alliances. It would be very nice to have chat, and can pick who to answer and ignore the rest. That would keep my board much longer for a direct line to those who attack. And easier access to my allies than having to go through the ally list and find them. Most I talk with there would love to have this feature. So when you say you don't want, keep in mind you may change your tune once you get there. I would love to have this feature, even if it costs a bit of gold to activate it. Then the ones who want it help pay for the development. Those who don't, don't.

rareay84
04-08-2012, 11:58 AM
Live chat rocks for games with full-size keyboards. If you do something for the dinky little iGizmos, maybe you could make some macros or shortcuts or something? Press 1 for "499 forever!", press 2 for "Who designed your hood? Yo Mamma?" etc.

Warfiend
04-08-2012, 12:51 PM
press 2 for "Who designed your hood? Yo Mamma?" etc.

If they do it that way, they really need that particular macro.

Speed ump
04-08-2012, 06:34 PM
Most I play with use the iPad which has a pretty good size keyboard.

BrodawgCanada
04-08-2012, 07:24 PM
I say no in game chat as well, players may want to piss other players off and MSG non stop or be vulgar....... Ect, messages are just fine!!

elbenzorockz
04-09-2012, 01:42 AM
I don't think it is needed if I want to talk to someone about the game I use this forum otherwise I would never use it, not sure about other people, but I guess depending how it was made it COULD be some use (for ganging up on people) I would prefer a way to find players using there name instead of there ID which most of the time I cant remember....

Agent Orange
04-09-2012, 06:46 PM
I might use it but my main concern would be that the app crashes even more than it does now.....

stricker
04-09-2012, 09:25 PM
in-game chat is a must have!

stricker
04-09-2012, 09:26 PM
Most I play with use the iPad which has a pretty good size keyboard....or Siri can type it for you on the iphone 4s!

Hello Kitty
04-09-2012, 09:33 PM
in-game chat is a must have!Stricker, I really did miss you! See post #30 on this thread. By no means should we divert resources from fixing performance issues, but it's my experience that it's highly probable a separate engineering team.

Almost all of us have social comments as well as good advice and I really think chat would help curb the social 1x1's and enhance the threads to contain help content. For the threat and fight issue, I recommend we have an "ignore" option.

L Fizzle, I know I'm not supposed to name other vendors, so I'll just mention that on-line poker where it can get really personal, we can just click an "ignore" button and every comment from that player comes up with asterisks or x's. I repeat that it takes 2 to tango...

Chiefer
04-09-2012, 10:16 PM
All I know is these people OT absurdly to much. They are ruining the forums cause it's chit chat between them not game information.

StuN
04-09-2012, 11:22 PM
My original reaction was no but I've since changed my mind. If it was multi user chat, it may help to stop thread hijacking on the forum.

el_gringo
04-10-2012, 09:35 AM
I'm another a bit meh about the idea. Possibly having a way send a private message to one or all of your allies would be good, but other than that, whats the point?

Speed ump
04-10-2012, 11:37 AM
El, that is the point. It gets really important at the higher levels, which realistically is where You will spend most of your time once you get there. I had heard thre could be a problem because of trying to run it on the I phone. Then make an hd version the works only with the iPad for the added features. Also support the graphics for the ipad3. You will most likely have allies, or join a group which you will want to communicate to coordinate attacks or defenses.

Chiefer
04-10-2012, 11:50 AM
Re-post of a comment from another thread that supports the chat:

I am an offender of the chatter and off-topic conversation, which is why I support an in-game/in-forum chat feature.

After reading the forum for over a month, I finally signed up for two reasons: 1) to join in the banter, because it's very enjoyable, and improves my overall Funzio game experience to share battle stories both in-game and out and 2) to feel more comfortable asking a game related question because it is difficult at times to search through the threads and find an answer because of the additional conversation (again, which I thoroughly enjoy).

An in-forum chat feature would be an nicer and quicker way to ask/comment OT. I try to use PM when going off topic (OT), but it is clunky and slow, so instead it’s more convenient to just respond in-thread.

An in-game chat feature would a good way to communicate directly with my friends and allies that can stay online perpetually versus the drive-by player that sweeps for money, clicks to upgrade/build and exits. I’ve used the news feed to communicate, but that too is clunky so I've jumped to the forum or used my cell phone to text instead. Having it in one application would be great.

Make it a toggle on/off option to satisfy both types of players. Offer an ignore certain players if they start to trash talk. It takes 2 to have an argument.

I don't know if there is a trade-off in development resources for requesting a feature (chat) versus a fixing a defect (performance improvements and A/D imbalance). If it’s the same resource pool, of course I would support sustaining engineering over new features.

You don't have to moderate everything though. I'm sure there is a reason to the forum posting guidelines.

Major Silverback
04-11-2012, 11:55 AM
I vote for an in-game chat. Obviously, someone would have to monitor the chat for inappropriate comments, or abusive language.

Marc
04-11-2012, 10:15 PM
I support this. I feel this game doesn't feel alive without global chat. As long there's auto censoring and occasional moderation then the 'social gaming' can grow

War Priest
04-11-2012, 10:23 PM
You know, I was just thinking there might be problems with the languages. I sometimes get comments in another language, so I am sure that might pose some sort of problem.

Aidan
04-12-2012, 02:34 AM
I say No to ingame chat. An alternative to in game chat:

1) REVAMP THE ALLIES LIST; ability to put certain allies into grouping of close friends, acquaintance, general etc

2) SHORTEN N SMOOTHEN THE MESSAGE FLOW; when a player post on ur comment section n u click reply, make it appear on both section; u n him/her. This will make it easier to keep track on conversation. Plus, whenever u want to reply, u dont hv to actually go into ur ally list n search for the person. Currently the process flow is too long.

3) TOGGLE BUTTON: ability to block certain plyr. Ability to turn on or off offensive words; some ppl dont rlly mind words like fecking, shiit etc when chatting with close friends. Lots of MW player r grown ups anyway n shud be able to differentiate between jokes/banter n being offensive. Dont like it? Turn it off; simple

Having said all this, the most important thing is tht whatever u guys decide, plz plz plz make sure tht it wont affect the game performance. I'm on 4s n still i get the app crash. N this ingame chat thing shud be ur second priority below the CASUALTY RATE coz it's killing the free n light/medium gold spender slowly but effectively. The only unaffected group is the pure 2000 unit gold army.

Dreno33
04-12-2012, 02:45 AM
I say No to ingame chat. An alternative to in game chat:

1) REVAMP THE ALLIES LIST; ability to put certain allies into grouping of close friends, acquaintance, general etc

what about a game chat with allies?

Aidan
04-12-2012, 06:16 AM
If they only do chat for allies then it's okay i guess. Still they need to revamp the allies list. Like put search button or make us hv the ability to grouped it accordingly. With current set up, searching 500 allies to chat is a pain in the s

cheiz
04-13-2012, 07:05 AM
Totally agree with your suggestions Aidan.

I would also suggest:

1. In the rival list: ability see if you've visited a rival before (There are too many "sir"s playing MW)
2. Active army list: which units will be brought to battle and how many are defending? so not only the top 45 AFTER attacking

cheiz
04-13-2012, 07:09 AM
Oh yeah, one more:

Have grunt allies show up in the Ally Request list so players can decide for themselves if they are wanted or not

Aidan
04-13-2012, 07:13 AM
I actually just found out frm stricker tht if u click reply, it will appear on both sides. Silly me, how the hell did i not know tht. Did they changed it? Or has it been like tht since launched?

War Priest
04-13-2012, 07:20 AM
I actually just found out frm stricker tht if u click reply, it will appear on both sides. Silly me, how the hell did i not know tht. Did they changed it? Or has it been like tht since launched?

Sometimes it fails. There have been many occasions where a friend has replied to me from their comment wall and instead of going to my wall, it just stayed on their's.

What happens is it will show up on both walls, but as soon as you close out of the app, and log back in, it will be gone off your wall. If it is still there, it didn't post on their wall.

Aidan
04-13-2012, 07:34 AM
Ahhh. Tht explains. I did checked once long time ago whether my reply was posted or not on the other side. N it didnt. So i assumed tht it doesnt work tht way. I had to go bck to tht person's profile n post the reply. Thnx fr clearing tht up WP n to u stricker

Dreno33
04-13-2012, 07:37 AM
Ahhh. Tht explains. I did checked once long time ago whether my reply was posted or not on the other side. N it didnt. So i assumed tht it doesnt work tht way. I had to go bck to tht person's profile n post the reply. Thnx fr clearing tht up WP n to u stricker

If you "reply" it will appear on both. BUT, after a short while, it will be deleted from your wall and just remain on theirs

War Priest
04-13-2012, 07:47 AM
If you "reply" it will appear on both. BUT, after a short while, it will be deleted from your wall and just remain on theirs

I was telling him that, but sometimes it fails and stays posted on your wall instead of their's like it is suppose too.

Dreno33
04-13-2012, 07:58 AM
lmao, didnt even notice yours WP, mah bad

Bronson
04-14-2012, 09:12 AM
cherry on top

Mohammed
04-15-2012, 04:31 AM
From the whole suggestions we provided you choose to do a chat for the game? Come on for god sake

When we will have the ability ti sell out units?

L Fizzle
04-16-2012, 10:20 AM
Thanks for all the feedback!