PDA

View Full Version : Psychology of Ranks in IDs...

YLL
04-04-2012, 01:34 PM
I was just wondering about the psychology behind the ranks that some people choose for their IDs, like Sargeant this, Captain that... If someone goes for a rank less that General or Field Marshall, does that mean they lack self-esteem and/or ambition? Conversely, are Generals and Field Marshalls just egomaniacs? :confused:;)

War Priest
04-04-2012, 01:37 PM
Some of it is probably relating to real life. They might have been a Major, Captain, or Sergeant or something in the military or as a cop.

And I am pretty sure nobody is lacking self esteem on a video game.

Mcdoc
04-04-2012, 01:47 PM
I have seen the ID God - so maybe that one is compensating for something - then there is Satan.

That's the whole thing about being anonymous on the internet, you can be whoever you want to be . . . funny thing is . . . a lot of people haven't figured out that life is that way too . . . you can be whoever you want to be :)

Some movie quote paraphrased: "Hey, don't mess with my fantasy, my real life is already f'd up"

Everson25
04-04-2012, 02:22 PM
I agree with WP. I use just my real name, but before i thought using 'Sgt' in front of my name as my father was always a good example of a good officer. As we are talking about rankings, does anybody know why we don't have a ranking system in the MW? Is it that difficult to implement one in the game? Other war game have it. It would be fun to know how the game sees us or how our progress is going, or even compare to other players. What do you think guys?

War Priest
04-04-2012, 02:49 PM
I agree with WP. I use just my real name, but before i thought using 'Sgt' in front of my name as my father was always a good example of a good officer. As we are talking about rankings, does anybody know why we don't have a ranking system in the MW? Is it that difficult to implement one in the game? Other war game have it. It would be fun to know how the game sees us or how our progress is going, or even compare to other players. What do you think guys?

Basically that is what level is for. There are way to many levels to replace with a rank, so it is probably just easier to stick with a number.

Agent Orange
04-04-2012, 02:51 PM
I was just wondering about the psychology behind the ranks that some people choose for their IDs, like Sargeant this, Captain that... If someone goes for a rank less that General or Field Marshall, does that mean they lack self-esteem and/or ambition? Conversely, are Generals and Field Marshalls just egomaniacs? :confused:;)

You mean like Col Saunders? Yum!

Everson25
04-04-2012, 02:58 PM
Basically that is what level is for. There are way to many levels to replace with a rank, so it is probably just easier to stick with a number.

I know that we have levels and it's easier but levels nowadays don't show how strong some players are. Let me use you as an example. You are in level lower than me, however you are much stronger than me.

War Priest
04-04-2012, 03:01 PM
I know that we have levels and it's easier but levels nowadays don't show how strong some players are. Let me use you as an example. You are in level lower than me, however you are much stronger than me.

I get what your saying. I think Funzio wanted to keep the level thing the same though because it is also by level in Crime City and Kingdom Age. Also, it would probably be to complicated because dropping allies give you a smaller a/d score which in return would drop their rank. As of now, you still remain the same level, just with a weaker a/d score.

Bronco928
04-04-2012, 04:20 PM

My choice had to do with the flow, or the way it sounded. General, or Colonel didn't fit as well as Sargeant. Nothing more, nothing less.

bigflan
04-04-2012, 04:26 PM
I have no idea what your talking about but field Marshall is the highest rank in Germany one field Marshall only got taken prisoner

War Priest
04-04-2012, 04:41 PM
I have no idea what your talking about but field Marshall is the highest rank in Germany one field Marshall only got taken prisoner

Come again?

bigflan
04-04-2012, 04:45 PM
Come again?Wah Wah Wah someone call the Wahmbulance

Luke7676
04-04-2012, 04:45 PM
Come again?

Lmfao!! Big flan you funny sob you haha cant help but to laugh sometimes. No offense to you man just gotta let it out

hound
04-04-2012, 04:47 PM
I'm more drawn to attack people with "Unique" names... I have been messing with "Satan" for the past week. I'm especially drawn to people flying the Iranian flag and having a name like "Al-Qaeda" or "Osama Bin Ladin"- which i haven't seen is a long time.... I like leaving funny messages, like "Derka Derka Mohammed jihad"- usually, get a LOL reply back.

overkill 280
04-04-2012, 04:53 PM
Ha yeah, I'll usually attack or raid a guy with a name I don't care for as well :rolleyes:

YLL
04-04-2012, 09:55 PM
Thanks for the views, guys, interesting reading. I particularly liked Mcdoc's observations (re God combined with thinking outside the box) - it just occurred to me that next time I create an ID, it should be 'God of Gods'... Hmm.... Or maybe 'God of God of Gods..." Errr... Or should that be 'God of God of God of Gods"...

YLL
04-04-2012, 10:07 PM
I'm more drawn to attack people with "Unique" names... I have been messing with "Satan" for the past week. I'm especially drawn to people flying the Iranian flag and having a name like "Al-Qaeda" or "Osama Bin Ladin"- which i haven't seen is a long time.... I like leaving funny messages, like "Derka Derka Mohammed jihad"- usually, get a LOL reply back.

I have a penchant for Generals, names all in upper caps and mis-spelled names myself, haha.

marebear
04-04-2012, 10:20 PM
I know that we have levels and it's easier but levels nowadays don't show how strong some players are. Let me use you as an example. You are in level lower than me, however you are much stronger than me.But if they showed that wouldn't you just know to only attack people lower than you? That wouldnt be much of a challenge unless I'm misunderstand what you mean.

JohnnyR
04-05-2012, 10:28 PM

I think this rank thing would be a brilliant idea, a way to actually guage how good a player is. Level number and ally number, really don't show the full picture. Perhaps a set of ratios based on win/loss record, actual income (combined building income [actual collected, removing from consideration the uncollected supply depot money] AND raid/attack income) can determine a rank.

aelicep
04-05-2012, 10:31 PM
Directed by: Jon Hurwitz and Hayden Schlossberg
Starring: Jason Biggs, Alyson Hanningan, Sean William Scott, Chris Klein, Thomas Ian Nicholas, Eddie Kaye Thomas, Mena Suvari, Tara Reid, Jennifer Coolidge and Eugene Levy

Quick Summary:

The fourth installment on the American Pie series contain the initial gang Jim, Oz, Kevin, Finch and Stifler together for his or her high school reunion. The guys are all matured -- with careers and starting their loved ones -- they realize all the fun things they did in senior high school suddenly seem to be much different from whatever they remember.

Watch American Reunion Free (http://watchamericanreuniononline.typepad.com/)

Review:

A film based upon five adolescent sex-driven males since it's original plot has now generated the fourth installment in regards to what occurs when five horny teenagers develop. That's what are the results to everyone who matures, life. The first scene uncovers which has a bed rocking and squeaking, thus the audience will automatically assume something sexual is taking place, then your full screen shows Jim (Biggs) reading on the bed and Michelle (Alyson Hannigan) attempting to calm the newborn. This creates a surprise surprise plus the audience responds to laughter. The scene continues with Biggs attempting to masturbate while Michelle is to take a bath, he's interrupted by his two-year-old son and accidentally slams the notebook screen on his penis, creating chaos. The film begins with Jim’s classical masturbation mishaps and carries on show humorous notations (which) show up from time to time in the film which is the only kind of consistency the film holds. The writers appear to have struggled to take care of the total amount of original storyline and inventive new material. The chemistry between past lovers Oz and Heather (Choir girl) has crumbled because the first film, their rekindled relationship looks like it's forced by both actors. Jim and Michelle aren't Romeo/Juliet nevertheless they ensure it is believable. Finch develops a refreshing new romance having an old friend from high school graduation who has been an ugly duckling band nerd now became an attractive swan. As for Vicky and Kevin both the should probably not have held it's place in the film considering that the writers hardly gave them some other emotion other than being awkward. Stifler ended up just as expected (along with the most of the male leading characters) and i also don't even think the crowd might say every other way since they enjoyed the "Stifmeister" making an ass of himself.

For that American Pie generation, this film will likely be fun mainly because it brings back memories from the youth. Perhaps the forty somethings and beyond generation can can see this film together with the performance of Eugene Levy and Jennifer Coolidge as a parent of grown up children acting like they did once they were teenagers.

Luke7676
04-05-2012, 10:42 PM
I think this rank thing would be a brilliant idea, a way to actually guage how good a player is. Level number and ally number, really don't show the full picture. Perhaps a set of ratios based on win/loss record, actual income (combined building income [actual collected, removing from consideration the uncollected supply depot money] AND raid/attack income) can determine a rank.

I agree that would be perfect. I love the ranking systems on a lot of other games. And really like what y'all said. lvl And ally number is really nothing. I like the idea of combining stats and income as a factor of rank. Also how long you have been playing as well.. Would rather have named ranking and maybe with a emblem rather then a numbered rank. This would make the game play way more interesting and fun.

Thunder Child
04-05-2012, 10:46 PM

I used to have a preference for attacking names that were not capitalized. For example, I was more likely to attack "aidan" than "Aidan" because I surmised that aidan was a kiddie who didn't take time with his English, but Aidan was an adult player who did! That's right, I was a kiddie basher! Pathetic and a little scary looking back now...

frenda
04-06-2012, 08:32 AM
I've got a permanent rank due to retiring from the military, but didn't see the point of using it in my name. I'm sure there are lots of explanations why some use it. I like the ones that sound cool, like SGT Rock or CPT America, etc. I also like the idea of earning rank based on progress through the game. Sort of like the system that Halo uses. It could be tied to number of attacks, wins, time in game, etc. I also think it would be cool to collect "medals" for certain achievements in the game instead of just valor points. Maybe get an air medal for reaching a certain number of air units...

Luke7676
04-06-2012, 11:22 AM
I've got a permanent rank due to retiring from the military, but didn't see the point of using it in my name. I'm sure there are lots of explanations why some use it. I like the ones that sound cool, like SGT Rock or CPT America, etc. I also like the idea of earning rank based on progress through the game. Sort of like the system that Halo uses. It could be tied to number of attacks, wins, time in game, etc. I also think it would be cool to collect "medals" for certain achievements in the game instead of just valor points. Maybe get an air medal for reaching a certain number of air units...

Yeah. I like halo's ranking system but the only problem with it now is its all about time instead of how good you really are. If funzio ever for this they should base it off not only time spent but equally how good you are as in stats.