PDA

View Full Version : What drives you Crazy about the Forums?

Rhino72
04-03-2012, 08:10 AM
I enjoy coming here during some downtime at work or at home after I have completed my in game "stuff". I enjoy reading most threads because they offer insight into the game. What drives me crazy is when it seems like the majority of threads now are getting dominated by one line responses, who has to get the last word etc... Is this driving anybody else nuts or is it just me? Does anybody else have forum complaints that they want to share? (You don't have to post the drug ads or the random gimp with the red rubber ball in mouth sex ads...)

mnju_03
04-03-2012, 08:11 AM
Agreed....

mnju_03
04-03-2012, 08:12 AM
Also... I find this very... Interesting...

CounterSniper
04-03-2012, 08:12 AM
I enjoy coming here during some downtime at work or at home after I have completed my in game "stuff". I enjoy reading most threads because they offer insight into the game. What drives me crazy is when it seems like the majority of threads now are getting dominated by one line responses, who has to get the last word etc... Is this driving anybody else nuts or is it just me? Does anybody else have forum complaints that they want to share? (You don't have to post the drug ads or the random gimp with the red rubber ball in mouth sex ads...)

This is why i recommended to LFizzle that they create a CHAT Section and a Complaint Section and either rename the GENERAL Section or also create a Q&A or ADVICE Section.

mnju_03
04-03-2012, 08:14 AM
This is why i recommended to LFizzle that they create a CHAT Section and a Complaint Section and either rename the GENERAL Section or also create a Q&A or ADVICE Section.

That's such a good idea though! Otherwise you get the whiners and mnju's posting a bunch of fiddle faddle.

Pekersss
04-03-2012, 08:14 AM
What bugs me is when there is 372027364 different threads all about the SAME TOPIC. Especially when you're trying to find information you need. Which is why a "general chat" subforum would be nice.

Pekersss
04-03-2012, 08:18 AM
Damn, beat to the post. But I think it's a big peeve for a lot of people.

Max Power
04-03-2012, 08:29 AM

Agreed....

Also... I find this very... Interesting...

And here is a number one culprit. He is like a puppy, he even responds to spam.

CounterSniper
04-03-2012, 08:31 AM
And here is a number one culprit. He is like a puppy, he even responds to spam.

Pumpin up his forum posting stats

mnju_03
04-03-2012, 08:32 AM
Everyone loves a puppy. You be nice!

Rhino72
04-03-2012, 08:37 AM
Thanks Max you did a very good read of dissecting and reading between the lines. Honestly, I think this is driving away a number of forum vets who used to come on here and actually join in hearty game theory discussions.

Gaming Will
04-03-2012, 08:37 AM
The one liners give me a laugh in between all the hate of going back and forth. The data is WAY over my head, well maybe not just too lazy to go that in depth (after all it is a game). But I do totally appreciate their hardwork on the data!

I agree about the multiple threads on the same topic. It would be nice if Funzio could group threads together by a keyword or something. Not sure at all if that is possible.

Max Power
04-03-2012, 08:43 AM
Thanks Max you did a very good read of dissecting and reading between the lines. Honestly, I think this is driving away a number of forum vets who used to come on here and actually join in hearty game theory discussions.

You addressed it like a butterfly knife, I went the route of a stone hammer.....LOL.

Kind of my MO, even in real life. It hasn't served me well.

mnju_03
04-03-2012, 08:44 AM
The one liners give me a laugh in between all the hate of going back and forth. The data is WAY over my head, well maybe not just too lazy to go that in depth (after all it is a game). But I do totally appreciate their hardwork on the data!

I agree about the multiple threads on the same topic. It would be nice if Funzio could group threads together by a keyword or something. Not sure at all if that is possible.

You addressed it like a butterfly knife, I went the route of a stone hammer.....LOL.

You guys can't argue the fact that there is so much BS so much Stupid crap and negativity and moral and and nad nad nadnsadnadnadna JUST CALM DOWN AND TAKE A BREATH, IT'S A GAME! lol

I will always chime in to change a tone or add my own scent to things... lol :P

Ghost818
04-03-2012, 08:48 AM
Don't yell mnju.

mnju_03
04-03-2012, 08:49 AM
Don't yell mnju.

Oi vey, calm down, just calm down!

CounterSniper
04-03-2012, 08:54 AM

We have more in common than you'd probably care to admit. Other than two specific isolated disagreements we are on the same page most of the time.

Nicholost
04-03-2012, 09:02 AM

CounterSniper, not to be a ****/know-it-all, dude, but you are just as guilty as the next guy when it comes to off-topic, one-line conversation. Here's an example from this morning.

http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthread.php?23354-New-Buildings-Crates-Discussion&p=153307&viewfull=1#post153307

To be clear, I'm not opposed to this type of conversation nor do I dislike you, but I'm not a big fan of hypocrisy; regardless of the source.

With that said, it's difficult not to participate in off-topic conversation. Think of how conversations evolve within a circle of friends. If the topic and dialog are lighthearted, rarely does it stay on topic. Same goes for forums once friendships are made.

I've been doing the forum thing since they first started showing up on the internetz, so for about 12 years. Collectively, I probably have over 100K posts (wow, that's sad). In that time, I have witnessed all kinds of evolution and trends. What's most interesting to me is that in general, a forum takes on a personality. Some are aggressive and arguing is prone and common, while others are really laid back and anything goes. This one is rare because not all topics have been discussed and there is a lot of new ideas and concepts. Likewise, since there's so much new content, people aren't just replying with "STF" (search the forum), which creates dialog. That dialog turns to conversation, which can easily turns off-topic.

My person preferred approach is to let the OP (original poster) manage his own thread. If the OP doesn't like where the conversation is going, it's up to him/her to say so and ask the participants to stay on topic. In most cases, people listen. It's quite effective.

(If you're going to read any part of this post, this is it.)

I've also seen forums adopt the "Chat" section. The Chat section never works. Yes, people post off-topic content there, so in that sense they are successful. However, what the section evolves to is a post-anything section and almost always turns political, sexual, or involves passionate opinions. After that, arguments ensue, people get banned, and those who don't, bring grudges and bad blood into the on-topic sections. It completely changes the personality of the forums for the negative. I've seen it many times before. I was a part of a forum for five years. In that time, I watched them create a Off-Topic section, it go from success to out of control, ban a bunch of people, remove the Off-Topic section, and a new site spring up that was created by everyone who got banned. The new site is a bloodbath. Seriously. I'm pretty sure the FBI monitors it. Anyway, while it's cool that the chat/off-topic sections get used, their creation has little to no effect on the off-topic chatter in on-topic threads without active and thorough forum moderation. People will always treat dialog among forum friends as they would with real friends (i.e. things evolve off-topic). The most successful forums have a full-time staff or volunteer group of mods to patrol the forum and smack-down off-topic posts. While that keeps threads on-topic, the mods typically get a little too ban-happy and the fallout is an anti-mod mentality. Again, the forum personality changes for the negative. This is why I say the most effective way it for the OP to police his/her own thread. People tend to have the most respect for the OP because he/she is a peer and they take his/her request seriously (most of the time). It also doesn't typically change the forum personality for the negative.

Nickle/Nickel/Nicholist/Nicholast/Nicholost out.

G Wiz
04-03-2012, 09:03 AM
I mean granted the "true seniors" here have basically experienced it all. We were there trying to find out where the m4a1 was, we cracked game mechanics, got payout algorithims, offered advice multiple times so basically what else is there to do besides clowning around most of the time?

mnju_03
04-03-2012, 09:07 AM
I mean granted the "true seniors" here have basically experienced it all. We were there trying to find out where the m4a1 was, we cracked game mechanics, got payout algorithims, offered advice multiple times so basically what else is there to do besides clowning around most of the time?

Boom... You had me at clowning around, 1000.

Max Power
04-03-2012, 09:09 AM
I don't mind off topic stuff, I enjot it actually, it lets you get to know the invisible person on the other keyboard a little. Scope creep is inevitible.

What I don't like is people who comment on everything, even if they have nothing to say. When you see the list of all the threads in the General section, and the last respondent in every single thread is the same person, it's an issue.

CounterSniper
04-03-2012, 09:10 AM
CounterSniper, not to be a ****/know-it-all, dude, but you are just as guilty as the next guy when it comes to off-topic, one-line conversation. Here's an example from this morning.

I dont disagree with you at all.

I was just telling Ghost how dirty i feel for engaging in that back and forth and if you check my comment history you'll see this morning was the exception and not the rule with me.

You must certainly be aware that I contribute much more than i distract.

That said I mostly blame all you johnny come lately's. jk

See what happens when you leave me alone in here.

Max Power
04-03-2012, 09:16 AM

I was just telling Ghost how dirty i feel for engaging in that back and forth and if you check my comment history you'll see this morning was the exception and not the rule with me.

Well, in the true spirit of this thread, I would have to say, I do agree with you on Pastrami.

mnju_03
04-03-2012, 09:17 AM
Well, in the true spirit of this thread, I would have to say, I do agree with you on Pastrami.

Max, you'd love a Rachel too. I'll make you one also...

Nicholost
04-03-2012, 09:18 AM

Haha. No worries, dude. Actually, I am aware that you contribute more than you distract. I was just calling out your brief stint down hypocrisy road. It's not a common trend for you.

And to be clear CS, I have no beef with you and nothing to say negatively about you. Heck, if Ghost or JoeyCool, two of my favorite forum peeps, had done the same, I would have called them out as well.

Ghost818
04-03-2012, 09:18 AM
Boom... You had me at clowning around, 1000.
Jeez mnju... Nicholost just gave us a speech cause CS and I were clowning around a bit with you getting off topic, and here you are boom 1000... I mean, sometimes its fine, but literally every thread every post? common.

Ghost818
04-03-2012, 09:19 AM
Haha. No worries, dude. Actually, I am aware that you contribute more than you distract. I was just calling out your brief stint down hypocrisy road. It's not a common trend for you.

And to be clear CS, I have no beef with you and nothing to say negatively about you. Heck, if Ghost or JoeyCool, two of my favorite forum peeps, had done the same, I would have called them out as well.
CS and I were clowning around with the mnju guy. Thats how CS got involved. We all know CS as the serious guy I just brought out the other side. I do take the blame.

mnju_03
04-03-2012, 09:20 AM
Jeez mnju... Nicholost just gave us a speech cause CS and I were clowning around a bit with you getting off topic, and here you are boom 1000... I mean, sometimes its fine, but literally every thread every post? common. Oh chill..

CounterSniper
04-03-2012, 09:25 AM

Its all good Nicholost, I like the cut of your jib and can take criticism when its founded.

Heck I even stuck up for you earlier w/ dreno33. I wouldnt have bothered if you werent worthy.

By the way nose picking is a filthy habit. Unless you're alone of course.

Rhino72
04-03-2012, 09:26 AM
I think Nicholost hit the nail on head and we need to have a better level of forum moderation. Hopefully, Funzio will read through this thread and come up with a way to do this more effectively.

Ghost818
04-03-2012, 09:27 AM
Nicholost as always :D

CounterSniper
04-03-2012, 09:29 AM
CS and I were clowning around with the mnju guy. Thats how CS got involved. We all know CS as the serious guy I just brought out the other side. I do take the blame.

See, Ghost is waiting for his drubbing also.

Thanks Ghost, but we were both guilty.

Appreciate the support.

I'm not sure if that finger is loaded or not,though.

Ghost818
04-03-2012, 09:31 AM
Technically it is my fault, I started messing around with mnju, of course playfully, and you took part in my mischievous ways for a millisecond

CounterSniper
04-03-2012, 09:39 AM
Technically it is my fault, I started messing around with mnju, of course playfully, and you took part in my mischievous ways for a millisecond

I was bouncing off the walls this morning, Feeling a little manic. Probably be ok when i get up in 7 hours from now.

Later guys.

Nicholost
04-03-2012, 09:39 AM
Heck I even stuck up for you earlier w/ dreno33. I wouldnt have bothered if you werent worthy.
What?! Now dreno33's talking smack?! Why that little... :p

Actually, I have no idea what you're talking about. Linky, please?

By the way nose picking is a filthy habit. Unless you're alone of course.

I also smell my own farts. It's glorious.

So at this point, the OP is at a crossroads. My side tangent with CS, while innocent, is deviating from the topic and could dilute the thread. He has three choices: allow it to continue, PM a Mod and ask for them to regain control, or personally request for us to stay on topic and take our conversation to PM or a new thread. So Rhino72, what would you like to do?

Swifty
04-03-2012, 09:41 AM
My major complaint is the unwillingness of Funzio to enforce their own rules.

Why not just skip the rules if you are not serious about it?

I guess they want to have the rules in place so they can use it as an excuse to ban someone they do not like, while ignoring the several other people who did the exact same thing and did not get banned.

Ghost818
04-03-2012, 09:52 AM
What?! Now dreno33's talking smack?! Why that little... :p

Actually, I have no idea what you're talking about. Linky, please?

Clicky!
http://www.funzio.com/forum/showthread.php?23328-AMA...-For-everyone!(

If you consider him misspelling your name then yeah boiii.

frenda
04-03-2012, 10:28 AM
<<<puts on his kevlar longjohns and jumps into the deep end.

Gotta disagree with some of the comments. Chat does work in most forums. It's a great place for the ADD and ADHD guys to get things off their chest without having to resort to filling up threads, especially those guys who have to comment on everything (like me). :)

Off-topic sections can work, as long as they're moderated. We all know the rules. If you keep making sexual comments and they keep getting deleted in a timely manner, sooner or later you tire of that and stop, or get banned. Either way, there's a mechanism there to deal with it.

And yes, having skimmed over the 1 gajillionth thread about 499'ers I feel'ya on that. How hard is it to combine threads or shut them down when they get out of hand? I've seen it done on other forums. And like my good buddy Nick (sorry, couldn't resist), I've been doing the forum thing for about 12 years or more, so there's more than one solution to most problems.

But what pisses me off the most is the spam? Come on, give one OCD guy like me access to the friggin delete button and we'll solve this in no time.

mnju_03
04-03-2012, 10:34 AM
<<<puts on his kevlar longjohns and jumps into the deep end.

Gotta disagree with some of the comments. Chat does work in most forums. It's a great place for the ADD and ADHD guys to get things off their chest without having to resort to filling up threads, especially those guys who have to comment on everything (like me). :)

Off-topic sections can work, as long as they're moderated. We all know the rules. If you keep making sexual comments and they keep getting deleted in a timely manner, sooner or later you tire of that and stop, or get banned. Either way, there's a mechanism there to deal with it.

And yes, having skimmed over the 1 gajillionth thread about 499'ers I feel'ya on that. How hard is it to combine threads or shut them down when they get out of hand? I've seen it done on other forums. And like my good buddy Nick (sorry, couldn't resist), I've been doing the forum thing for about 12 years or more, so there's more than one solution to most problems.

But what pisses me off the most is the spam? Come on, give one OCD guy like me access to the friggin delete button and we'll solve this in no time.

As far as the Fake ad's?? That would be SO AWESOME to just clean that up for me too!!!!!!

Santa
04-03-2012, 10:36 AM
I think mnju will go crazy if:

A) He can't buy a vault of gold every 3 hours...
B) He can't reply to every single post...

i need muney
04-03-2012, 10:40 AM
I dare mnju to not reply to this post!

Rhino72
04-03-2012, 10:58 AM
I choose bust out the Ban Hammer!!!

frenda
04-03-2012, 11:00 AM

Ooooh!!! I want one. Is that bought with RP or Gold? ;)

Nicholost
04-03-2012, 11:03 AM

Haha! On which one of us?

mnju_03
04-03-2012, 11:03 AM
Sad... lol

I'd buy that though, if it was an item...

Rhino72
04-03-2012, 11:12 AM
All of you and then that would leave only myself to post and read my posts. If I was mnju this might work extremely well because no thread would ever die and 10,000 posts would be right around the corner. Speaking of Ban Hammer, I would take one of those limited edition melee weapons.

mnju_03
04-03-2012, 11:25 AM
All of you and then that would leave only myself to post and read my posts. If I was mnju this might work extremely well because no thread would ever die and 10,000 posts would be right around the corner. Speaking of Ban Hammer, I would take one of those limited edition melee weapons.

I like the way you think... Rhino72, you're alright... :)