PDA

View Full Version : Does farming really have to be proclaimed dead?

Caleb
03-28-2012, 04:00 PM
Yes, I started another thread on farming, but I want this to be a conversation about the strategy of farming rather than a "What should I farm now?" thread.

It seems like many of the posts these days discourage even considering farming. Granted there isn't much late-game equipment out there, but I think farming can still be in the mix for many players. There are items available that would still boost my stats and certainly those of players at lower levels.

Taking the Rusty M4 A1 as an example, the few that I picked up get used by my mob every time they go to a fight. Hopefully they will be replaced sooner than later, but for now they are a benefit. Rusty matches the PvP Steyr AUG for attack and is equal or better for defense than all the PvP guns other than the M72 Rocket Launcher.

It could be argued that farming an item that will eventually be replaced by something more powerful is a waste of time and Experience, but I think it can be a reasonable strategy to improve stats earlier in the game.

Hank
03-28-2012, 05:42 PM
all questions are answered in the loot spreadsheet

Spoon86
03-28-2012, 05:58 PM
You would climb levels to fast farming rusty M4A1's and will put you at a serious disadvantage later on when your to weak for your level.

M4A1's were the balance between gold and non gold users and now without them late game you going to get rolled on by gold users and people who already obtained 500 of them.

jobadass
03-28-2012, 06:08 PM
Farming isn't dead if we can find something worthwhile. The only worthwhile crops I have known about are gone

Thinks
03-28-2012, 06:11 PM
M4A1's were the balance between gold and non gold users and now without them late game you going to get rolled on by gold users and people who already obtained 500 of them.

I have (294) M4A1's. I notice a very large difference between myself and players with 400+. I read the boards for weeks, unhappy that they took them out, but somewhat happy that I got to keep mine. Now, after seeing the difference they make, I feel really really really bad for any new players coming in.

At this point in time, I see no "equalizer" for anyone who is not willing to buy/use Gold. I greatly underestimated the power of this weapon and the difference/impact it had on the game.

Tieing into the original point, farming is not dead. There are pleanty of things to farm, it all depends on what your weakest catagory is. Before, it was a no brainer. No matter what you were weak in, M4's were what you farmed because the stat increase was major.

I see how you could think that strategy would be envolved now based on my last comment. The reality is, there is nothing worth farming that would level the playing field or have such a large impact on your stats as the M4A1 did.

When I was farming them, my weakest gun was at 4/3. That means everytime I got one, for quite awhile, I was getting an increase of +14/+19. Find me a weapon that has those stat bonuses which doesnt require 1,200+ energy for a 10% chance drop rate.

Farming isn't dead, I'm farming two different items atm.... but it certainly isn't as game changing or imperitive as it used to be.

(PS: Have I mentioned in this thread that I'm a senior member now? YAY ME!)

Santa
03-28-2012, 06:11 PM
Getting rolled by gold players --> Buying gold to compete --> become a gold player --> give Funzio more money --> the point of the game.

Farming is not dead, it's dormant.

Feel free to quote me on that.

Thinks
03-28-2012, 06:19 PM
Farming is not dead, it's dormant.

Feel free to quote me on that.

Maybe as an early Christmas present your jolly ol' ass can give farming a swift kick in the ass and wake that b#$ch up?! I need meh stats increased.

Also, I've reinforced the stiching on my stocking this year, so no need to hold back when stuffing it full of Gold Bars.

;)

Swearengen
03-28-2012, 06:27 PM
Just pray Funzio brings an M4A1-like item back to life!

Caleb
03-28-2012, 06:29 PM
My point is there are worthwhile items to farm for many players.

The M4 A1 is the only item I've spent much time on, and I turned up my nose at the Rusty like many others did. But really, it is basically as good as the PvP guns. And there are other items out there with modest stats, but which will similarly help lower level players.

Now does this make sense for end-game strategy or for HL players? Of course not. But for someone just unlocking the Junkyard, there's nothing wrong with farming some Rusties.

I think newer members to the forum could be left with the impression that the farming strategy died with the M4s, but in limited amounts, farming is still a good strategy for many in the early game.

Thinks
03-28-2012, 06:43 PM
My point is there are worthwhile items to farm for many players.

The M4 A1 is the only item I've spent much time on, and I turned up my nose at the Rusty like many others did. But really, it is basically as good as the PvP guns. And there are other items out there with modest stats, but which will similarly help lower level players.

Now does this make sense for end-game strategy or for HL players? Of course not. But for someone just unlocking the Junkyard, there's nothing wrong with farming some Rusties.

I think newer members to the forum could be left with the impression that the farming strategy died with the M4s, but in limited amounts, farming is still a good strategy for many in the early game.

I somewhat agree....

But... There are several different types of players in CC. They can first be divided by, "The Casual Player" and then "The Passionate (hardcore) Player".

The Hardcore Player doesn't give a crap about getting by. They spend every point of stamina and energy preparing themselves for "end game" battles. You have a long term plan in place which best prepares you to play with "the big boys/girls". These weapons you're refering to will put you at a SEVERE disadvantage for two reasons:

1. Because the stats are to weak

2. Beacuse you wasted all that energy on something that doesn't provide you any benifit for the end of the game, and when you're spending that energy you are gaining large amounts of XP.

So basically, you're losing time until you get to the "Big Show" while gaining nothing userful for the "Big Show".

Now, for the casual player, these guns will be more than sufficient. But you have to remember, we're on the CC forums. 99% of the casual players log in once or twice a day, collect their money, do some things, then log out. They don't visit the forums or plan out their long term goals within CC months ahead of time.

The forums are mostly populated with CC nuts. Therefore, we cater to CC nuts.

procsyzarc
03-28-2012, 06:46 PM
You would climb levels to fast farming rusty M4A1's and will put you at a serious disadvantage later on when your to weak for your level.

Not sure what level you people are but end game no item M4A1 included is going to come close to closing the gap with gold players. It is unreal just how many people out there have spent many 000's on gold and the only way to get close to balance in to buy gold yourself nothing else will close the gap.

Myself I have 37.5k attack which is probably in the top 1% of non gold users (admitily about 1k of that comes from crates that i brought when I didn't know about events coming and had no use for the gold) but overall including gold users I am probably around the 40% mark with at least 20% of players having over 50k and about 1-2% having over 100k.

Thinks
03-28-2012, 06:58 PM
Okay, so then if that's the case, farming was dead even when the M4A1 was still around. :p

To answer your question, I'm level 122.

Spoon86
03-28-2012, 07:04 PM
Not sure what level you people are but end game no item M4A1 included is going to come close to closing the gap with gold players. It is unreal just how many people out there have spent many 000's on gold and the only way to get close to balance in to buy gold yourself nothing else will close the gap.

Myself I have 37.5k attack which is probably in the top 1% of non gold users (admitily about 1k of that comes from crates that i brought when I didn't know about events coming and had no use for the gold) but overall including gold users I am probably around the 40% mark with at least 20% of players having over 50k and about 1-2% having over 100k.

M4A1 and DD's were basically the only farmable items that could stand a chance late game for non gold players and they got nerfed.
So what is going to happen when I reach HL armed with pimp lowriders and rusted M4A1's?
To me farmings dead I'll just camp and turn CC into my Sims game.

DougVan
03-28-2012, 07:22 PM

So you have spent gold on crates? I'm a non gold HL player as well (141) and completely agree with you!! Although I still have about 460 M4's in use, with each event and the new thug weaponry that number will drop, as well the RPG will become the best RP item for my attack in about 15 levels or so. I don't think the M4 is as necessary as thought, and once you're this high up, being a non gold player puts you in a category of about 5 percent of players... Focus on PvP instead of farming and the RP to XP should allow for sawed offs in place of M4s

enahs1
03-28-2012, 07:34 PM
I'm on level 46 and I still farm. Since I'm a low level, a lot of farmable weapons help my stats. Currently I am farming swat pistols 4/8 at the junkyard (gray scrap box) for 60 energy and a .16 drop rate. I just got done farming pilot helmets 1/6 for 60 energy (south end project) white truck with a drop rate of .24. I got about 10 of them and my defense stat went up about 50. If there is any other good farming items with an attack or defense over 7, then let me know.

Caleb
03-28-2012, 09:05 PM
Admittedly, a big additional benefit of PvP is Respect, and I think Respect weapons have gained in importance. I recommend pursuing PvP. I'm not advocating that somebody farm as an exclusive action, but I also don't think it should be dismissed entirely as an earlier-game strategy.

Yep, the forums are for the more fanatical players, but it's not lke all forum visitors are already HL players. To get to the end game, you first have to play the whole start game. The farming possibilities we are left with can still provide a boost for many players along the way.

What is there to say about gold players? If you want to beat the gold player who is spending a lot of money, you'll either have to spend a lot too or just stop playing. They are supporting the game and get to dominate the top-tier for their patronage.

As far as leveling fast goes, farming will do that, but PvP certainly does as well.

mnju_03
03-28-2012, 09:10 PM
To be honest I've been using PvP for my farming, I'm stocking up on RPG and Exeleros.
Now I know not everyone is at the level yet to do the same but, as Caleb said above,

"you first have to play the whole start game. The farming possibilities we are left with can still provide a boost for many players along the way.".

So, not dead in my book.

emcee
03-28-2012, 11:25 PM
For hardcore players farming is dead. Granted you can earn respect and get RPGs at level 100 but I doubt anyone will even have a full set of chain whips by that level. Tramp at level 80 only has 72. When I hit level 55 I can only purchase 30 odd CW. Even though the RPG is 1.8x more powerful than an M4 (36 attack vs 20) the amount of experience you would need to burn through to get one now is still more than the non rusty days. A typical RPG would require approximately 500 experience increase. When I was farming M4s at the junkyard I was averaging a drop within ten clicks and most likely less. This means for an equivalent attack stat increase I would at most add 234 experience based on the old system (13 experience per click x 10 = 130 x 1.8).
Any player now without a full set of M4s should slow leveling to a snail pace as they will eventually only contend with heavy to light gold users and also non gold users with full M4s and most likely a higher relative percentage of end game respect items.

The only worthwhile time (imo) to change gameplay strategy is during these limited time events in which some energy needs to be used to get initial boss bags. Once a few are in play concentrate on robbing laundromats/collection agencies etc. to beef up boss bag numbers. Concentrating strictly on robberies during this event should not net many bags as rivals would not have them in their inventory in the beginning. Fortunately I have burned through probably less than 700 energy to get the initial bags and optimize hourly openings.

Soopajake
03-29-2012, 11:09 AM
For hardcore players farming is dead. Granted you can earn respect and get RPGs at level 100 but I doubt anyone will even have a full set of chain whips by that level. Tramp at level 80 only has 72. When I hit level 55 I can only purchase 30 odd CW. Even though the RPG is 1.8x more powerful than an M4 (36 attack vs 20) the amount of experience you would need to burn through to get one now is still more than the non rusty days. A typical RPG would require approximately 500 experience increase. When I was farming M4s at the junkyard I was averaging a drop within ten clicks and most likely less. This means for an equivalent attack stat increase I would at most add 234 experience based on the old system (13 experience per click x 10 = 130 x 1.8).
Any player now without a full set of M4s should slow leveling to a snail pace as they will eventually only contend with heavy to light gold users and also non gold users with full M4s and most likely a higher relative percentage of end game respect items.

The only worthwhile time (imo) to change gameplay strategy is during these limited time events in which some energy needs to be used to get initial boss bags. Once a few are in play concentrate on robbing laundromats/collection agencies etc. to beef up boss bag numbers. Concentrating strictly on robberies during this event should not net many bags as rivals would not have them in their inventory in the beginning. Fortunately I have burned through probably less than 700 energy to get the initial bags and optimize hourly openings.

oh dang. well said. props. will keep in mind for next event. I've noticed after the initial rush of "OMG gotta get boss bags/wall safes" I accumulate tons of bags, with same level of luck opening bags.

jaywalker
03-29-2012, 12:03 PM
Please, proclaim it dead. It will so much easier when I become a HL player in the future :)
I'm farming now and I will not stop. I'll rather have 50 DDs than none... And there are quite a few ok guns, armors and cars out there to farm. Even one decent melee weapon.

Babytway
03-29-2012, 03:20 PM
there is nothing for me to farm if i could re-allocate my skill points from energy i would

Thinks
03-29-2012, 03:28 PM
That's because you're OP and cause the game imbalace. NERF TWAY!!!