PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade or build?

jaywalker
03-24-2012, 04:29 AM
I'm now in a posision where I have to decide between upgrading or building new building. My mind tells me to upgrade, but other peoples' hood tells me to build. I'm upgrading Ice Cream Shop and Italian Restaurants while waiting for the cash to come in.

Level 92
$/H: $53,179
My top money makers:
2 x Loft Level 3
2 x Movie Theater Level 5

My gold plans:
2 x Rock Cafe
2 x Pirate Tavern
2 x Gentleman's Club

2 x MT $3 978,34 $3 636 974 52,00H
1 x Loft $4 033,33 $3 539 671 75,04H
If I do 2 MTs or 1 Loft, doesn't really matter, except for the time it takes.

I can save up 1.2-1.8M a day (including robberies and missed collections).
Wou YOU upgrade Loft, 2xMT or build Upscale Clubs or <insert name here).

Rhino72
03-24-2012, 05:50 AM
I like to use the building spreadsheet and see where I get the best gain per hour for cost of building or upgrading. I would keep upgrading your loft and mts and while they are upgrading keep saving cash to build an upscale club. With the money you are making a day it shouldn't be hard to keep upgrading those 2 while saving during the upgrade times. Once you get the gold buildings they really are great...

Santa
03-24-2012, 05:53 AM
I like to use the building spreadsheet and see where I get the best gain per hour for cost of building or upgrading. I would keep upgrading your loft and mts and while they are upgrading keep saving cash to build an upscale club. With the money you are making a day it shouldn't be hard to keep upgrading those 2 while saving during the upgrade times. Once you get the gold buildings they really are great...

+1

I would also recommend doing some long upgrades, such as a level 10 ice cream shop or a level 10 Italian restaurant, so that your economy is still growing while you save up for a big ticket upgrade. IMHO Loft upgrades are of better value, but either one will increase your economy significantly. Also, like Rhino said, that spreadsheet is gold.

Cheers!

jaywalker
03-24-2012, 08:31 AM
I use the spreadsheet...
The problem is that it is hard to build a 4M building and save up for another 4M building + the loft/mt upgrade, because the build/upgrade times are too short :/

Rhino72
03-24-2012, 08:37 AM
Then I would say just keep upgrading the lofts + mts and mix in some Gatling builds just to keep throwing some def in your hood. I am in the middle of a condo build (96 hours) and I keep upgrading my mts (level 6). While both of them are being worked on I am saving the 3.8mil to upgrade my next loft. When that happens I will be saving to build my next condo. I think most 12 hour buildings give the best value long term as well as being able to set collecting schedules.

mnju_03
03-24-2012, 08:37 AM
Not knowing too much about your hood and income, bank and what not. I'd try to get those Lofts and MT's up another level at least.

Holicaholic
03-24-2012, 09:00 AM
Upgrade the italians, those things are money and pay for themselves VERY quickly. In the meantime you can save for higer buildings. That's what I've done/am doing and I haven't had an affordability problem yet. Also, build some Crematoriums, those take forever to build (5 days or so) and in that meantime you can save money for either the next one or the next upgrade.

jaywalker
03-24-2012, 09:22 AM
Art House Cinema 1
Art House Cinema 1
Bagel Shop 2
Bagel Shop 2
Barber Shop 3
Barber Shop 3
Basketball Court 6
Beach Nightclub 1
Beach Nightclub 1
Beachside Inn 1
Beachside Inn 1
Brownstone 1
Brownstone 1
Collection Agency 1
Collection Agency 1
Comedy Club 1
Comedy Club 1
Crematorium 1
Crematorium 1
Deli 5
Deli 4
Diner 4
Diner 4
Dominican Restaurant 2
Dominican Restaurant 2
Fancy Restaurant 1
Fish Store 1
Fish Store 1
Flower Shop 1
Gas Station 4
Gas Station 3
Gun shop 4
Gun shop 4
History Museum 3
House 6
House 6
Ice Cream Shop 10
Ice Cream Shop 8
Internet Company 1
Internet Company 1
Italian Restaurant 8
Italian Restaurant 7
Laundromat 8
Laundromat 5
Loft 3
Loft 3
Movie Theater 5
Movie Theater 5
Pawn shop 5
Pawn shop 4
Pizza Parlor 6
Pizza Parlor 5
Seafood Restaurant 1
Seafood Restaurant 1
Smoke shop 1
Souvenir Store 4
Souvenir Store 3
Tattoo Parlor 4
Tattoo Parlor 2
T-shirt Stand 4
T-shirt Stand 4
Warehouse 5
Wholesale Warehouse 1
Wholesale Warehouse 1

one crappy defence building

224 mafia
9860/10497

The ROI is way lower on the ICS...
But yeah, guess I'll keep upgrading MT and Lofts untill I can build some gold buildings :)

i need muney
03-24-2012, 09:41 AM
Go by ROI. If you dont want to overcomplicate stuff it is a decent strategy

mnju_03
03-24-2012, 09:42 AM
I'm upgrading my smoke shops due to it being the only thing less than 10 hours to upgrade! lol
It keeps me busy and tied up so I have to save for the next big thing.

Crazyscorp
03-24-2012, 11:32 AM
Always upgrade, there are points latter where you won't have anything to build but never found a time when you aren't upgrading. If you are short on cash do a cheap one, in my case I did a L6 loft upgrade which meant Icould save the money for a L2 palm's hotel upgrade. If you re really short ice cream shops are great to upgrade

DCjG
03-24-2012, 11:38 AM
Always upgrade, there are points latter where you won't have anything to build but never found a time when you aren't upgrading. If you are short on cash do a cheap one, in my case I did a L6 loft upgrade which meant Icould save the money for a L2 palm's hotel upgrade. If you re really short ice cream shops are great to upgrade

This. The upgrade timer is the most precious resource in the game. You'll be cranking on this long after you've built everything.

Fricco
03-24-2012, 11:39 AM
Work on those Dominican Restaurants

Plux
03-24-2012, 11:39 AM
I'm preparing to use Option 3, Upgrade and Build at the same time. Why decide...do both!

Nightclub Upgrade and Construction of my second Hotel and I might do an expansion at the same time, but that's Option 4 ;-)

deuces
03-24-2012, 02:51 PM
what level are you plux?

fancic
03-24-2012, 03:05 PM
Guys, if you are looking for one great Louis Vuitton handbag, you may well pay attention to our website! We believe you would harvet a big surprise!
cheap gucci (http://www.louisvuittons.co.uk)
Louis Vuitton Purse and handbag (http://www.louisvuittons.co.uk)
Discount Louis Vuitton Outlets (http://www.louisvuittons.co.uk)

Thinks
03-24-2012, 03:23 PM
because the build/upgrade times are too short :/

Jezuz Jaywalker, I want some of whatever it is that you're smokin... it's gotta be some crazy Norwegian $#@% or something. Upgrading my Loft's from level 3 to 4 took me 57 hours. I'm not even half way through the upgade path... so level 9 to 10 must take hella long.

I just got done staring at an empty slab, today, that I had been starring at for 6 days waiting for my newest building to complete.

I say NERF BUILD/UPGRADE TIMES!!!! NERF NERF NERF NERF!!!!

You should have plenty of time to farm that money up... if you're coming up short on cash, well then do what I do, borrow everyone else's. :D

mnju_03
03-24-2012, 03:42 PM
Jezuz Jaywalker, I want some of whatever it is that you're smokin... it's gotta be some crazy Norwegian $#@% or something. Upgrading my Loft's from level 3 to 4 took me 57 hours. I'm not even half way through the upgade path... so level 9 to 10 must take hella long.

I just got done staring at an empty slab, today, that I had been starring at for 6 days waiting for my newest building to complete.

You should have plenty of time to farm that money up... if you're coming up short on cash, well then do what I do, borrow everyone else's. :D

Lol I also wish the times were a bit shorter, but at least 20%. Oh well...

Crazyscorp
03-24-2012, 05:34 PM
Lol I also wish the times were a bit shorter, but at least 20%. Oh well...

At a guess I would say it's coming since it is the current reward for the modern war event. If it comes to crime city would hate to imagine the success chance and can see a lot of gold being blown..... Guess they will save that one for when it is 20 gold

mnju_03
03-24-2012, 05:39 PM
At a guess I would say it's coming since it is the current reward for the modern war event. If it comes to crime city would hate to imagine the success chance and can see a lot of gold being blown..... Guess they will save that one for when it is 20 gold

This is exciting to me, I'd probably end up spending a lot more money impulsively. :P
I think it's funny how you're given a deal and it makes you feel so good that you become distracted in original
thoughts or priorities and now it becomes a good idea to spend money, or more money.

Marketing rocks! lol

Santa
03-24-2012, 06:22 PM
My parents strongly disagree with the idea of purchasing virtual currency with real life money. Sometimes I wish I could get a couple $100 iTunes gift cards to blow on gold.

mnju_03
03-24-2012, 06:25 PM
My parents strongly disagree with the idea of purchasing virtual currency with real life money. Sometimes I wish I could get a couple $100 iTunes gift cards to blow on gold.

In the long run it's a better investment to listen/respect your parents wishes. Trust me. lol

Thinks
03-24-2012, 06:27 PM

Get a paper route man... I had one one I was your age.... That was 14 years ago (Ugh late twenties!) and even then I made $250-$300 a week.

If you factor in inflation and the fact that gas was $1.15-$1.25 a gallon, it was a decent chunk of change.

mnju_03
03-24-2012, 06:29 PM
I made my first buck at age 6. Still, listen to the folks. lol

jaywalker
03-25-2012, 02:33 PM

What I was trying to say is that the upgrade time on Loft/MT is not long enough for me to upgrade AND build. Not too eager on spending a few mill on expanding my hood and build a bunch of crappy buildings. I'll rather stick to the better and more expensieve ones.

Santa
03-25-2012, 02:59 PM
I'm a junior referee. I ref 2nd grade soccer games for 8-9 dollars a game. 3 games each weekend. Made ~$125 last year, but my parents wouldn't let me buy any iTunes cards. :(

i need muney
03-25-2012, 03:02 PM
I'm a junior referee. I ref 2nd grade soccer games for 8-9 dollars a game. 3 games each weekend. Made ~$125 last year, but my parents wouldn't let me buy any iTunes cards. :(
You'll get to understand how great of a decision they've made :)

Inzaghi
03-25-2012, 08:23 PM
What I was trying to say is that the upgrade time on Loft/MT is not long enough for me to upgrade AND build. Not too eager on spending a few mill on expanding my hood and build a bunch of crappy buildings. I'll rather stick to the better and more expensieve ones.
Just my two cents.
Stick to the one with lowest ROI because that pays back faster. If building and upgrading have similar ROIs, upgrade first because you'll not have many things to build later. In your case, upgrading high-level Italian Restaurants and Icecream Shops is a great idea because it's not costly but rather time-consuming, so that you can build upscale clubs at the same time. When the upgrading is done, you have enough money to upgrade Lofts or MTs.

Crazyscorp
03-25-2012, 08:31 PM
Just my two cents.
Stick to the one with lowest ROI because that pays back faster. If building and upgrading have similar ROIs, upgrade first because you'll not have many things to build later. In your case, upgrading high-level Italian Restaurants and Icecream Shops is a great idea because it's not costly but rather time-consuming, so that you can build upscale clubs at the same time. When the upgrading is done, you have enough money to upgrade Lofts or MTs.

I disagree with the ROI method and beleive you should do the biggest upgrade you can afford,

ie not exact numbers but an example spend 50M upgrading a gents club to L3 gives 600k per day or spend 50k upgrading a icecream shop to L10 for 24k per day. The ice cream shop is a far better ROI but the gents club is a lot more useful long term. Also as you aproach end game the upgrade timmer is far more valuable than the money it self.

Inzaghi
03-26-2012, 02:25 PM
I disagree with the ROI method and beleive you should do the biggest upgrade you can afford,

ie not exact numbers but an example spend 50M upgrading a gents club to L3 gives 600k per day or spend 50k upgrading a icecream shop to L10 for 24k per day. The ice cream shop is a far better ROI but the gents club is a lot more useful long term. Also as you aproach end game the upgrade timmer is far more valuable than the money it self.
Seems that my words are confusing, so I need to make myself clear :)
Case 1: If upgrading MT and building Upscale club are quite close in cost, look at ROIs and choose the lower one.
Case 2: If upgrading MT and building Upscale club are close in cost, and the respective ROIs are also close, and I can only afford one, choose upgrading MT because there'll be more upgrading than building later so it's better to keep upgrading running.
Case 3: If upgrading MT and building Upscale club are close in cost, and the respective ROIs are also close, but I have slightly more money in hand which can also pay for the upgrading of Icecream shop, go to building Upscale club and upgrading Icecream shop at the same time because Icecream shop pays back very fast. If you go to upgrading MT, the extra money for upgrading Icecream shop idles.

BDouble
03-27-2012, 09:24 AM
Would you people say its better to spend up to 600k on each upgrade for movie theatre, dominican and beach house before purchasing my first loft?

or should i aim to purchase the loft before upgrading the other buildings?

i usually make around 500k a day. i wish i had enough to do both!

mnju_03
03-27-2012, 09:26 AM
Would you people say its better to spend up to 600k on each upgrade for movie theatre, dominican and beach house before purchasing my first loft?

I think at this stage I would go for the fastest buck. Meaning I would put the upgrade time vs the build time
and make a judgement call. Make sense?

Fricco
03-27-2012, 09:34 AM

purchase the loft, while that builds you can do your upgrades.

I personally would go lvl 1 loft to lvl 3 if your economy allows.

BDouble
03-27-2012, 11:19 AM
I think at this stage I would go for the fastest buck. Meaning I would put the upgrade time vs the build time
and make a judgement call. Make sense?

you make a good point.

purchase the loft, while that builds you can do your upgrades.

I personally would go lvl 1 loft to lvl 3 if your economy allows.

i think i will purchase the loft first and upgrade the other buildings in that time. by the time the upgrades are complete i should be saving a lot more money which will allow me to upgrade the loft. if the loft costs 700k+ i can imagine the upgrade cost being very expensive and i wouldnt be able to afford that just yet.

thanks guys.

Fricco
03-27-2012, 11:32 AM
@BDouble,

There is a money building spread sheet that has everything you would need to know about build/upgrade times /cost and returns. sorry i cant pull my copy due to my work computer blocking it.

or you can just look below.

deuces
03-27-2012, 11:33 AM
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgEHrvnoijXudHFVU2RxYUQzYXYtOURRd0d3M1hVR 2c#gid=0

white frog
03-27-2012, 12:14 PM
Where you're at right now, taking the Lofts up a few levels is the best choice (as far as the income gain/hours of upgrading). I love the Italians too!

Plux
03-27-2012, 01:05 PM
I am staying very well put at 140 and holding while my hood economy builds supernatural bank reserves for NC level 5 upgrade :-)

pluxfan2
03-27-2012, 02:28 PM
100% agree Plux. Afterall I am your fan. Perhaps you should camp till you get your nightclubs to lv 10.