PDA

View Full Version : My suggestion for a decent event

Crazyscorp
03-20-2012, 07:38 PM
Think it is pretty clear from all here the last event was a pretty big failure and mostly only annoyed players especially those who invested large amounts of gold and have nothing to show for it. From Funzio’s point of view they may view it as a success since I’m sure there was a spike in gold sales, however it did cause ill will that will hit future gold sales, only time and Funzio can say if the overall net effect of this event will be positive or negative as far as profit goes.

Game developers keep adding events based on RNG since it is a way to limit rewards without too much effort, however gamers mostly hate RNG since most want to see themselves progressing towards their goal and there is nothing more frustrating than doing everything possible and missing out while someone else who puts in no effort gets the reward you so badly wanted.

In this event I was one of the incredible rare people who spent no gold and only opened maybe 5-6 chests per day and ended up with the burner. So this post doesn’t come from frustration but potential more the cause of some of the frustration since it is hard to see for those who may have spent $00’s and missed out how I can get it for free with no effort and they didn’t.

Past experience has shown Funzio isn’t going to do anything just to keep customers happy and every single decision they make is based purely on maximising profit, so there is no point in trying to change that since it’s not going to change we need to accept it or move on which as a customer is the only real choice or influence you have.

Based on the above point we can assume any event Funzio adds is for the sole purpose of increasing gold sales and isn’t going to be a free event just for fun, so with this in mind there are ways to increase gold sales without your customers feeling like they are being scammed and still have a fun event for customers.

My suggestion for an event. Crocks and thieves event:
Runs for 1 week and every time you rob another players building you get one point and at certain point values you get certain rewards.
500 points blacked van 25a 20d
1500 points thieves mask 30a 40d
2500 points lock pick 68a 75d
3500 points thieves gloves 280a 195d has an added bonus of 20% extra money on successful robberies ( ie the robber gets the 20% that is normally lost)

Advantages of this type of event
- Easy to programme since all that is being added is a counter and 4 new items
- People can theoretically achieve the rewards without gold if every single rob is successful, they use every single point of stam that is filled for a week and level a few times during to get extra refills.
- The above however is very unlikely so 99.99% of players will need to spend gold on stam re fills to achieve the final goal, this is a better use of gold and players will feel a lot happier with it rather than spending gold on a dice roll
- Since players can see their progress they can work towards their goal and are unlikely to have many issues spending gold to ensure they get there since they know they will get there and not spend a lot of gold to end with nothing.

Can also be modified for a fights or mission type event to.

Anyway Funzio you may use this idea go ahead and implement it and see your gold sales rocket while customer approval also raises, rather than the current type of event that just frustrates your customers for a small spike in sales.

mnju_03
03-20-2012, 07:46 PM
Not a bad idea. You've put a lot of thought into that, I like it. Wonder if it'll be considered in the next big thing.

thedogfather
03-20-2012, 07:55 PM
Definitely onto something here.

Rewarding people for the time and effort they put into the game as opposed to luck. By making the high value rewards painstakingly long to acheive, one would be tempted to spend on gold to regenerate stamina.

Only problem is that given the determination of high level players, most high level players and gold spenders would end up acquiring the high value reward, diminishing it's value. Regardless, I'd be stoked if something like this was an actual event..

Whoopdido1980
03-20-2012, 08:26 PM
I like this idea. It would be impossible for me to get 3500 robberies in 7 days. I only have 8 stamina. I log in numerous times throughout the day so I don't feel like I'm wasting much. Anyway, I get 1 point every 3 minutes so I can do 8 robberies every 24 minutes. There are 1440 minutes in a day, so IN THEORY, I could do 480 robberies a day, or 3360 in a week, which would still be short. That's obviously impossible so I would definitely have to buy gold and I'd have to buy a lot. Those with a lot of stamina would also have to buy gold but not as much. In any event, everybody could get the super weapon if they were willing to do what was necessary. And most should probably be able to get the first two weapons without too much trouble and without spending gold.

Good idea. I like it.

Crazyscorp
03-21-2012, 01:43 PM
Only problem is that given the determination of high level players, most high level players and gold spenders would end up acquiring the high value reward, diminishing it's value. Regardless, I'd be stoked if something like this was an actual event..

That is part of the point the final reward should be obtainable if you are prepared to put in the effot, not just a case of if you got lucky or not. As for diminishing it's value....that's not neccasarly a bad thing (especially from funzio's point of veiw keeping gold buyers happy) as it doesn't cause more balance issues based purely on luck if 90% of players have it the stats balnace out but more players will leave happy with the event rather than feeling like they got screwed.

kimberleyj
03-22-2012, 04:25 AM
I like this idea , I can't see it happening though. I tried to open 18/19 a day with the last event and I still had to use over 1000k worth of gold . the first event I had to use at least 500 gold. It be nice to have an Event where you don't need to spend loads of gold to get the final item.

doomnosee
03-22-2012, 04:59 AM
Really nice idea! The only amendment that would need to be made is that target totals should be scaled by level, otherwise it would be too easy for high level players with lots of stamina and too difficult for low level players. Also, it would need two events in relatively quick succession so that those who have invested more in stamina or more in energy are not disadvantaged.

Rhino72
03-22-2012, 09:18 AM
Love the idea of spending gold stam refills to get the final item. Telling us the goal to get the final prize would definitely take away some of the frustration. + 1 Crazyscorp, nice well thought out idea.

Nicholost
03-22-2012, 09:46 AM
This is an excellent idea. It encourages leveling, PvP, and game activity to a much larger degree than lockboxes/wall safes. Also, it pretty much guarantees that players will upgrade to Goodfella at a minimum. That's 150g spent right there. Since there's no way to purchase just 150g, people will purchase their personal "minimum" to get Goodfella status, then spend their remaining gold refilling stamina because they are "in the moment." Gold is addictive once you start using it, so what's another $5 gold purchase after you already bought some, then a $10 purchase and "yes, I got the 3rd item," then a $20 purchase because you're kinda close to the 4th item. Once you have the 4th item, you're closer to the finish than the start, so might as well make another purchase and go all the way. Why? Because you know you can get that 5th item if you work for it and there is no gamble or unknown odds. I didn't buy or use any gold during the last two events because I didn't know the odds.

And, to quote one of the greatest scholars of all time, you're "bi-winning" while collecting points; gaining the normal RP, loot, money AND event points.

http://obamiconme.pastemagazine.com/entries/images/61/37/1973520/original_image.png?1299047996

i need muney
03-22-2012, 09:53 AM
I find this a post of rare reasonability. This type of event would surely pass my QA

Swearengen
03-22-2012, 10:34 AM
Sounds great although doubt i would play it as it would for sure make you level fast...

BrodawgCanada
03-22-2012, 11:12 AM
This is an awsome idea!!!! I know alot of people weren't too happy about the results of both crime city and modern war...... I for sure am NOT buying gold after those last events!!! With an idea like that I probably would concider it!!

L Fizzle
03-22-2012, 12:12 PM
What specifically was frustrating about the last event?

Fig Oni
03-22-2012, 12:16 PM

Bit obvious the chance of getting the 9th & 10th even with above average gold consumption in obtaining them.
But in truth the event had 3 way to open but as you know most crime city players have little to no patients so buying excess gold was there best option.

Burn
03-22-2012, 12:19 PM
Only just seen this, thx Nicholost for flagging it up.

What an excellent and well thought out idea from the OP. Kudos.

Fig Oni
03-22-2012, 12:26 PM
Can I be the dog that ran away with the bone, I honestly don't like the op idea as the original idea was fine.
If you did receive the burner within the allotted time frame then why would you want to change it.
I am thinking maybe you are not letting on the truth by stating you only open average 6 boxes per day and still obtained the burner without using gold.

I am one of the few people who don't like people making false post just for lulz.
If I had obtained a burner without gold why make a suggestion that guarantees you need to buy gold to get the last item.

Vile Lynn
03-22-2012, 12:30 PM
Knowing that I wouldn't get all 10 unless I used A LOT of gold... The pressure to buy was frustrating, felt left out, but it's ok :)
Then changing the reset or gold open from the 1st event of 10 to 15 made me feel that Funzio was just being greedy & it made me not want to use gold, that was frustrating. Raising it to 15 also made me think the odds to get the grand prize would be worse.
But, I had fun anyways :D

Dorian Gray
03-22-2012, 12:37 PM

This is just a guess as I spent no gold in the last event and was happy with my 7 emeralds.

People spent a lot of gold and didn't end up with the item yet at the same time some people who didn't spend any real money did end up with it. Knowing that spending real money wouldn't guarantee getting the item doesn't make it any less frustrating.

Also, no offense, the main reason for these recent 'box' events seems to be more about $$ than anything else. Why else give a gold option at all and why raise the price for resets from 10 to 15. Oh, and because of a loophole exploited by Funzio it isn't considered gambling, but as far as I'm concerned a rose by any other name...

i need muney
03-22-2012, 12:42 PM
That it was a bold gold pump, with unknown chances of getting the prize?

Max Power
03-22-2012, 12:46 PM
What Vile and Dorian said.

It became painfully obvious to those that even played the first event that the open rates past level 7 were much much harder, and with only a rare exception, most had to spend hundreds of dollars worth of gold to get the burner.

The expense, the changes in odds, etc all had a lot of people feeling a little sour about it.

I understand the risk, I understand the nature of it, nobody forced me to spend on gold to try. But you have to consider, knowing that I spent $200 real dollars to get from 7 emeralds to 8 emeralds pretty much guarantees that I will never spend a nickel on one of these events again. The odds vs the expense just aren't worth it.

I think this event may have been great short term gain, but may have cost a lot of long term gold sales Fizzle. That's just an unemotional analysis of it. Entirely your call, just be aware that people see what is happening and come to their own conclusions.

deuces
03-22-2012, 12:48 PM

I'm sure a lot of people will go into a lot more detail, but the frustrating part to me was that the precedent the first event set was not continued in the second event. The first event was quite a lot easier to complete than this most recent one, in almost every way. (as erik detailed in his event summary thread.) The number of people who got 10 emeralds this time vs the number of people who got 10 diamonds in the lockbox event was probably around 75% less.

Of those 75%, at least from the feedback we've seen on the forum, about 80% spent heavily to get the 10th emerald, maybe 15% spent a little, and the other 5% (2 people reported a free 10th emerald i believe) got it for free.

The whole "event" thing quickly went from something where everyone had a good shot at completing the final goal (assuming they put in the time playing the game a ton) to a super powered item for sale. Maybe it wasnt quite as extreme as that, but i think thats how its being perceived at least by most forum members.

Obviously each event needs to be tweaked, and maybe the first one was much too easy compared to what you guys wanted, but IMO this past event was tweaked much too hard in a negative way for players.

Thanks for working with us and listening to our wants/needs!

edit: fyi, this post is coming from someone who didnt spend gold on either event, but has spent a decent amount of money in game. I got 10 diamonds the first event and 7 emeralds the second, with approximately the same effort. Just saying this so you know there may be some bias in my words.

Swearengen
03-22-2012, 01:12 PM
Just echoing what they last few posts said, the first event was pretty good, us non-gold spenders had a chance assuming you put the effort into it. I got all the diamonds with no gold. In the the last event it was painfully obvious you had no chance (ok 1 guy did it) getting the prize if you did not spend a TON of GOLD. I only spend a little here and there but most of the folks I know who spent lots of gold said it was not worth it after all and that they would not likely do it again.

It's ok, but this last event seemed to leave a bad taste with most people...

L Fizzle
03-22-2012, 02:01 PM
Amazing, guys. Great constructive feedback... with no negativity. :) I love it.

Taking all of this to the team. Have no fear!

Fizz

duelblade
03-22-2012, 02:14 PM
amazing idea but I think it should also be fights since the higher you get in the game the more people set timers to collect from their buildings from being robbed and it would not only become frustrating to find any buildings to rob but it would also make it so people who play off their home wifi or don't play on their phones with paid internet can get to there buildings on time making it frustrating for everyone all around.

just my two cents other then that I love the idea.

Crazyscorp
03-22-2012, 02:17 PM
I am thinking maybe you are not letting on the truth by stating you only open average 6 boxes per day and still obtained the burner without using gold.

It is up to you if you choose to believe me or not it doesn't really change the suggestion.

There is no way for me to prove I didn't use gold (I guess you could check my inventory and see how few of the random items I ended up with, which will give you a rough idea of how few chests I opened but doesn’t prove it). Funzio are the only ones who could tell you (other than me who you chose not to believe) but whether they can or not is another matter, if they can I give them full permission to disclose my full gold use since the event started though 447 432 242 and post it here. L Fizzle can you do this?

At the end of the day why would it matter anyway? Seems more like you spent gold and missed out and refuse to believe the event was broken and someone can put in no effort and get the prize. On the flip side I cared more about the modern war event and opened a lot more boxes (no gold though) and only ended with 5 bars, so RNG is RNG which generally equals frustration from players.

Vile Lynn
03-22-2012, 09:08 PM
Amazing, guys. Great constructive feedback... with no negativity. :) I love it.

Taking all of this to the team. Have no fear!

Fizz

You ROCK, Fizz! Thanks :D