PDA

View Full Version : Keeping a game alive

Burn
03-20-2012, 04:39 PM
What is the magic ingredient that stops a game from becoming tiresome, repetitious, and ultimately dull to the point of deletion or desertion?

In general terms, my span of attention is short, the only games that have managed to retain my interest long-term are Football Manager (real football, not Hug Egg), and Gran Turismo.

Football Manager is repetitive, but retains interest with a fresh influx of new players, real players, every season - a big part of he game is in finding whch of those players is the next superstar.

(The scouting system in Football Manager is so accurate that Everton actually paid SI to get early access to their scouting data - http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/2008/11/14/everton-sign-deal-to-scout-for-world-s-best-players-in-football-manager-video-game-86908-20893667/ ).

Gran Turismo, well that's easier, I'm a petrolhead, and the GT series rocks.

What is the secret ingredient that keeps you captivated to a game?
How long have you played Crime City?
Are you tiring of it yet?
How can the game be kept fresh?

My take on it, an influx of new weapons and loot from time to time, not necessarily any stronger than the weapons they replace, but just different, found in new locations, or with stats spread a little differently.

To me that would be the equivalent of the new players in Football Manager - new goodies to be found.

Anyone else care to share their thoughts?

OG Kush
03-20-2012, 04:48 PM
I have spent a lot of my time on this game so it's kinda hard to let go. But I am getting tired of loot items being nerfed. 2 months ago it was great getting loot and respect. But now without good items I can't level up cause I don't want to get dominated by stronger people. To keep this game fun I would bring it back to the way it was.

Steve0
03-20-2012, 04:52 PM
+1 to OG I am thinking of selling all buildings except 24 and 48 hour buildings and check in once aday, but that will get old and i will delete app and move on to somthing differant.

jobadass
03-20-2012, 05:01 PM
I have spent a lot of my time on this game so it's kinda hard to let go. But I am getting tired of loot items being nerfed. 2 months ago it was great getting loot and respect. But now without good items I can't level up cause I don't want to get dominated by stronger people. To keep this game fun I would bring it back to the way it was.
I agree 100% with this! Why change it? Funzio had how many people totally addicted to this game? and a lot playing well. I say, go back to 2/1/2012 and let it ride. There seems to be no point in trying to get a strategy anymore....they'll just change the rules. Modern War in my opinion, sucks. I only sownloaded that ap to get some sort of M4. They are making CC less interesting than MW.

jobadass
03-20-2012, 05:02 PM
yes, I said sownloaded and ap... ESL

mnju_03
03-20-2012, 05:09 PM
What is the magic ingredient that stops a game from becoming tiresome, repetitious, and ultimately dull to the point of deletion or desertion?

What is the secret ingredient that keeps you captivated to a game?
How long have you played Crime City?
Are you tiring of it yet?
How can the game be kept fresh?

I've been playing the game for around a year. I only downloaded it to get affiliate points in some other game I can't even remember. I slowly started putting a few minutes into the game a day, maybe. I slowly started to like it.
It's easy to become attracted to it on so many levels. For me at least.

I certainly am not tiring of it, I mean look at my post count. I've just started feeling comfortable in posting and becoming more interactive with the very people I've listened and learned from for this past year.
Beyond that I've started to view the game in different lights. For instance this M4A1 fiasco, It's dramatic to say the least. Drama is entertaining all on its own, IE talk shows, soap operas, reality tv, a person getting a speeding ticket on the side of the road while driving by. It's all entertaining in its own way! Yes it sucks but, its one minor aspect of the whole picture and damn, it throws a new ingredient into the mix!

I think that being said it's keeping things somewhat fresh all on its own. Especially with these new events, wither or not you like them. The forum too can constantly keep things fresh, if one has the maturity level required.
Obviously there can always be something better but, worse too.

Now If a time comes that I have a large portion of the missions completed and can easily stay on top of any new ones that could/would be added AND I have a large income, stats, inventory... Level 10 buildings... So on and so on
maybe that would arouse a burning out feeling...Wouldn't it be my responsibility to adapt and lean towards the forums and possibly learn new things about the game or even help teach people things I've already learned. Thus the purpose of a forum. Sigh..oh well

Nothing lasts for ever, right?

jobadass
03-20-2012, 05:17 PM
I've been playing the game for around a year. I only downloaded it to get affiliate points in some other game I can't even remember. I slowly started putting a few minutes into the game a day, maybe. I slowly started to like it.
It's easy to become attracted to it on so many levels. For me at least.

I certainly am not tiring of it, I mean look at my post count. I've just started feeling comfortable in posting and becoming more interactive with the very people I've listened and learned from for this past year.
Beyond that I've started to view the game in different lights. For instance this M4A1 fiasco, It's dramatic to say the least. Drama is entertaining all on its own, IE talk shows, soap operas, reality tv, a person getting a speeding ticket on the side of the road while driving by. It's all entertaining in its own way! Yes it sucks but, its one minor aspect of the whole picture and damn, it throws a new ingredient into the mix!

I think that being said it's keeping things somewhat fresh all on its own. Especially with these new events, wither or not you like them. The forum too can constantly keep things fresh, if one has the maturity level required.
Obviously there can always be something better but, worse too.

Now If a time comes that I have a large portion of the missions completed and can easily stay on top of any new ones that could/would be added AND I have a large income, stats, inventory... Level 10 buildings... So on and so on
maybe that would arouse a burning out feeling...Wouldn't it be my responsibility to adapt and lean towards the forums and possibly learn new things about the game or even help teach people things I've already learned. Thus the purpose of a forum. Sigh..oh well

Nothing lasts for ever, right?
well put. Always why I wondered why a few people spent so much money on this, or any game. It ends, or you move on.

mnju_03
03-20-2012, 05:39 PM
Thank you, and yes I agree... But lets get serious. If it's something that makes you happy even if for a short time, just do it! Like the shoe says. lol

Life is short, make it count.

scottmac112
03-20-2012, 08:52 PM
I would say one of mine would be that I have not spend one red cent of my money on this game. I have everything that I have as a result of waiting. The waiting gives way to anticipation, which keeps me playing. In addition, there's a kind of sense of pride that I want to stick it to those that have handed over copious (IMHO) amounts of money to play this game. JMO

Jill
03-21-2012, 03:01 AM
@Burn
Good thread and I think your take on keeping the game interesting are spot on.

PS what is the football managers game, my dad would love it....

oh shouldnt have asked that ..... sorrie

i need muney
03-21-2012, 03:09 AM
What this game needs is ranking system. Preferably one where you can have a chance to compete without being mister big spender, thank you very much.

Burn
03-21-2012, 04:55 AM
Point of the thread is simple, Funzio operate a different strategy to the traditional games market.

Traditional Game: Upfront one-off payment. Successful releases will be followed up by further 'versions' to cash in on the franchise. These new versions will generally retain the look and feel of the original, but with many new features to justify the new cost.

Funzio model: Free to play, all purchases in game. With this model, the upgrades have to be done on the fly. It's difficult because it isn't being designed from the ground up as a 'new' release, rather development is fluid and ongoing. It is imperative that you retain involvement and interest - your customer is for 'life' (theoretically, not actually). This means new features have to be rolled out constantly, and the games dynamics have to evolve in order to keep customer retention levels high.

That is why i like the idea of completely new weapons, at new locations. Basically, for those who enjoy farming and finding, this reinvigorates the game.

I liked the 'loot location' info provided by allhaildiscordia, but in reality it took away a lot of the 'oooh look what i found' element of the game. In summary, it took away the fun, and turned farming into a rather dull process. A big big part of the vibe here on the forums was getting kudos for finding, and sharing. Allhails info wiped that out immediately.

Maybe time to wipe that slate clean and start over with all new loot and locations? And store the data server side so it can't be busted open in the future.

Some people will hate that, but if you think about it, it does make sense.

Jill, I'll send you a PM.