PDA

View Full Version : is this event illegal and considered gambling?

xclusiv
03-20-2012, 03:28 AM
in certain places it is illegal to gamble under the age of 21, would this event be considered illegal and gambling if you are from certain place and under the age of 21?

doinkent
03-20-2012, 03:33 AM
i hope you are not serious

xclusiv
03-20-2012, 03:37 AM
unauthorized gambling because they charge a consideration for the chance to win prizes?????

Some common definitions of gambling include:

To bet on an uncertain outcome, as of a contest.
To play a game of chance for stakes.
To take a risk in the hope of gaining an advantage or a benefit.

doinkent
03-20-2012, 03:39 AM
i see where youre coming from but no, this is not gambling

Dravak
03-20-2012, 03:50 AM
No you are looking it from a wrong angle , the event is not illegal , especially for the rest of the world aside from US.
US have different laws , you can ask your credit card company to return the payment based on this event .
They will be more then glad to explain the rules of not using CC on a online gambling or game of chance .
If you use iTunes card you are out of luck , cause again different ruling .
Especially in the US where they protect the sheep masses and false advertising etc , since gambling is. Accepted as a big addiction , especially if government don't get part of the cake or profit ;)

For the rest you cannot consider it illegal , cause there was a option of not using gold, for the rest of the world .
We have different rules , the more common sense it is your own responsibility for your own actions .
But stated in more fancy way .
Sorry what they did was not illegal not morally correct , especially involving minors .
But they can always revert to IP laws if push comes to shove .
Sadly in the US itself they cannot since. Microsoft will not uphold the EULA in this case versus government gambling online laws ( that are not there to protect the people , but to get more profit or taxes ) .

So only in the US can you do something about it , and they will probaly refund you the money for this event.
And remove your account , so people own choice .

Whip88
03-20-2012, 04:39 AM
In aus it is considered gambling.

Joe Brown1
03-20-2012, 08:05 AM
Marky Mark (oops CC Mark) already discussed this on the last event. The gold you are spending is only to get a box to open - that is guaranteed. You already have the box - you spend money to open it. That is not gambling it is spending money on a guaranteed outcome. You are also guaranteed a prize - you just don't know what it will be. So the answer is no. When you spend money on this event you are buying an unknown prize from a lockbox/safe etc - legally not gambling in most areas.

Not trying to defend them - just they clearly thought about how to get around the laws.

Ohaithere
03-20-2012, 08:11 AM
I think Mark described it as you spend rm on gold, using god to open a box may well be a gamble but you are betting gold not real money. I think he said it is legal in the same way that you win tickets in arcades which are then exchanged for prizes but you don't win the prize themselves? Or something along those lines, sorry if I am muddled

<3 Hz
03-20-2012, 08:27 AM
It's like online gambling, similar and also legal. Online gambling sites let you use a CC to buy credits or chips, but don't let you directly use cash or a cc on the site. That's the stipulation that makes it legal at least in the US. This works the same way, you buy gold with your CC and spend it in the game.

BeniBugatti
03-20-2012, 08:36 AM
I do think aspects of this event are illegal in many U.S. States. There are many laws governing how "free" raffles and prize bearing events such as "Publishers Clearing House" must be documented. Every event of that type I have ever seen carefully presents the odds of winning each and every prize in small print. They do not place the small print there to benefit the consumers they most likely have it there for legal reasons.

I suspect a class-action lawsuit over the lack of accurate legally required documentation might actually succeed here.

dudeman
03-20-2012, 10:33 AM
Your real money was spent on gold, which you received. You got what your money paid for. The fact that your gold didn't get you the end item sucks, and you're allowed to be upset, but I don't believe it's true gambling.

FUnzio just thought up a clever way to separate players from their gold without giving them a good return, which means they will either just buy more, or feel ripped off and never buy any again.

fatacad
03-20-2012, 10:41 AM
FUnzio just thought up a clever way to separate players from their gold without giving them a good return, which means they will either just buy more, or feel ripped off and never buy any again.

Exactly. Definitely not gambling, just a clever marketing tactic thought up by a for-profit company. Welcome to capitalism!

Ramshutu
03-20-2012, 11:02 AM
While you are spending real money, this is not really gambling, because you are not winning any tangible, or real thing.

Thinking of an Analogy, this is MORE like buying trading cards like Pokemon, or sticker albums. You have a low chance of getting the 'good cards', and have to pay money for a chance to acquire the good cards, but you don't consider it gambling,

Chiefer
03-20-2012, 11:15 AM
Same answer as with the diamond event.

No

Crime City Mark
03-20-2012, 11:23 AM
There are multiple degrees of separation here between the event and gambling or raffles.