PDA

View Full Version : Selling Lower Level Buildings

white frog
03-17-2012, 08:32 AM
I've had a few requests for further information and discussion on this topic, so I've done a little more number crunching and will share the results.

When determining whether or not to replace lower level buildings vs. hood expansion, there are a few variables that one needs to consider, mainly play style and are you a short term, or long term goal player...

Here's a simple way formula that I would recommend to determine what would be the most efficient decision to make on this subject. Remember that all buildings one is considering selling have a potential earning that would be it's income at lvl. 10. This is the # that should be used when determining a buildings worth.

1. Determine how many squares of real estate your next expansion will give you
2. Figure out how much each square will cost, based on the total expansion cost / # of squares
3. From here, determine how much income you are getting from each square of the building in question
4. Now you can determine how long that building would need to pay for the upgrade.

Example:

Tattoo Parlor lvl. 10 = $18,750/day
@ 16 squares, this would be $1171.88 per square, per day
If my next expansion is $2.4 million, and provides 192 squares, then is costs $12,500/square.
At this rate, the Lvl. 10 Tattoo Parlor would take 10.67 days to pay for the space it's taking up.

As the cost of expansions get larger, buildings values will go down substantially. Here's a short list of some of the earlier buildings return values, based on the $2.4 million expansion @ 192 squares:

Tattoo Parlor = $1171 / day / square = 10.67 days
Pawn Shop = $609 / day / square = 20.52 days
Gun Shop = $703.13 / day / square = 17.78 days
Souvenir = $625 / day / square = 20 days
Deli = $562.50 / day / square = 22.22 days
Diner = $625 / day / square = 20 days

You can take the $ / day / square numbers and apply it to your own next expansion to figure out what the return is, but as you can see, at this expansion, all but the Pawn Shop have the potential to be more valuable than the expansion. I would weigh the # of days for each building vs the # of day it would take to save up for the expansion, and go from there.

At the earlier levels, I can't justify getting rid of most of these buildings unless I decide to never upgrade them to level 10. If you don't, you can adjust the $ / day / square with the appropriate #'s for the level you are at for each building, or the max level you plan on taking it to, and go from there.

Remember, don't ever get rid of a building until you have the cash, and are ready to replace it with something better!!!

CrimeCityJIM
03-17-2012, 08:34 AM
Thanks for the info

Santa
03-17-2012, 08:36 AM
I've had a few requests for further information and discussion on this topic, so I've done a little more number crunching and will share the results.

When determining whether or not to replace lower level buildings vs. hood expansion, there are a few variables that one needs to consider, mainly play style and are you a short term, or long term goal player...

Here's a simple way formula that I would recommend to determine what would be the most efficient decision to make on this subject. Remember that all buildings one is considering selling have a potential earning that would be it's income at lvl. 10. This is the # that should be used when determining a buildings worth.

1. Determine how many squares of real estate your next expansion will give you
2. Figure out how much each square will cost, based on the total expansion cost / # of squares
3. From here, determine how much income you are getting from each square of the building in question
4. Now you can determine how long that building would need to pay for the upgrade.

Example:

Tattoo Parlor lvl. 10 = $18,750/day
@ 16 squares, this would be $1171.88 per square, per day
If my next expansion is $2.4 million, and provides 192 squares, then is costs $12,500/square.
At this rate, the Lvl. 10 Tattoo Parlor would take 10.67 days to pay for the space it's taking up.

As the cost of expansions get larger, buildings values will go down substantially. Here's a short list of some of the earlier buildings return values, based on the $2.4 million expansion @ 192 squares:

Tattoo Parlor = $1171 / day / square = 10.67 days
Pawn Shop = $609 / day / square = 20.52 days
Gun Shop = $8448 / day / square = 1.48 days
Souvenir = $5215 / day / square = 2.39 days
Deli = $4302 / day / square = 2.9 days

You can take the $ / day / square numbers and apply it to your own next expansion to figure out what the return is, but as you can see, at this expansion, all but the Pawn Shop have the potential to be more valuable than the expansion. I would weigh the # of days for each building vs the # of day it would take to save up for the expansion, and go from there.

At the earlier levels, I can't justify getting rid of most of these buildings unless I decide to never upgrade them to level 10. If you don't, you can adjust the $ / day / square with the appropriate #'s for the level you are at for each building, or the max level you plan on taking it to, and go from there.

Remember, don't ever get rid of a building until you have the cash, and are ready to replace it with something better!!!

Absolutely amazing. You could be the new Tramp Stamp!

yshen
03-17-2012, 09:18 AM
I have 174 buildings, and still a lot of space remains.

Sasha54
03-17-2012, 09:54 AM
Great information - I've been asking on this topic because I have several buildings that I am thinking of selling

So basically you are saying if you have no intention of leveling up a building then get rid of it...

ShawnBB
03-17-2012, 11:38 AM
Stats clearly need adjustment when I first glanced at the gun shop section, so are the others.

Daily income per square should be around 773 as for the gun shop,
lol can't be thousands cash that much due to gun shop is as famous as pawn shop are the bottom worth buildings.

DenZ1
03-17-2012, 11:56 AM
You just waste too much time on this. Expand the hood to 5M (exclusive) expansion when you can after that you can start selling them out. Simple. Don't over complicate it man. You can always use space for deffense later in the game.

white frog
03-17-2012, 12:25 PM
Stats clearly need adjustment when I first glanced at the gun shop section, so are the others.

Daily income per square should be around 773 as for the gun shop,
lol can't be thousands cash that much due to gun shop is as famous as pawn shop are the bottom worth buildings.

You are absolutely right Shawn... I made a mistake in looking at the wrong number in my spreadsheet when working this out. I have adjusted the above post with the correct information.

white frog
03-17-2012, 12:28 PM
You just waste too much time on this. Expand the hood to 5M (exclusive) expansion when you can after that you can start selling them out. Simple. Don't over complicate it man. You can always use space for deffense later in the game.

I created this post for those players who have been asking for this information. I worked this out because of popular demand, so if you don't have something constructive to add, then please don't litter the post. Clearly by your last sentence you don't know the first thing of hood efficiency, so come back when you learn!

Dreno33
03-17-2012, 02:21 PM
I created this post for those players who have been asking for this information. I worked this out because of popular demand, so if you don't have something constructive to add, then please don't litter the post. Clearly by your last sentence you don't know the first thing of hood efficiency, so come back when you learn!

Couldn't have said better myself, friend.(:

i need muney
03-17-2012, 02:29 PM
I'm completely positive that you can fit your hood in up to 1mil expansion and not suffer in any way. Maybe 750k even.
I see dozens and dozens of hoods that are far greater then mine and income is a lot lower.

Nicholost
03-17-2012, 04:32 PM
I refuse to take advice from someone who spells defense with two Fs.

Excellent post as usual, White Frog. I like reading your stuff because I actually learn somefing.

mnju_03
03-17-2012, 05:06 PM

Excellent post as usual, White Frog. I like reading your stuff because I actually learn somefing.

I completely agree with what Nicholost said here too. However I think somefing is wrong with the spellinf..

Santa
03-17-2012, 06:46 PM
We must all be on iOS devices. I log my iPoo touch. Stupid autocorrect.

Sasha54
03-17-2012, 07:00 PM

Lots of us are interested in this info - if you aren't then - DFB (don't Effin bother)

mnju_03
03-17-2012, 07:49 PM
We must all be on iOS devices. I log my iPoo touch. Stupid autocorrect.

hahahahahaha lol

Dreno33
03-17-2012, 10:12 PM

don't you mean "someffing'?

Dreno33
03-17-2012, 10:15 PM
Best way to go about this topic i feel is through Diminishing Returns.

For those unfamiliar of this jargon. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diminishing_returns

ShawnBB
03-17-2012, 10:51 PM
You are absolutely right Shawn... I made a mistake in looking at the wrong number in my spreadsheet when working this out. I have adjusted the above post with the correct information.

Great post anyway,white frog! When I saw the data, I instantly found those little flaw.(knew it's mistype or something)
Haha, because I did a similar sheet that determines the building quality.

But the difference of mine is I sorted all the level 10 buildings according to,
---The income/hour divided by the total chain upgrade hours.

Why this matters more than the cost & I/H relation?
Because through Trampstamp's two classic threads, after the early game period, strictly follow the ROI is not the best strategy due to the pile up money didn't fully devoted into investment would lead to an unhealthy growth.

But we still need to upgrade something cheap( i would say less than 3 times of your I/H,what do you think?) to pile up some money for big ass buildings or major upgrade (like loft from lvl 1 to 2)So here comes the importance of my sorting.
While piling up money, you still need to seek for the fastest I/H every upgrade hour growth among the cheap ones. Push the best cheap one all the way to lvl 10 (the Icecream shop) then push the second best building until its cost is over 3X of your I/H,switch to the third best one.(if you dont switch, it may drag down your piling speed)
while you need space, sell from the worst one(electronic store, lol as we all expected)

The reason I didn't put square into account is that we still will expand, but expand in a healthy way,and space will play a less and less important role as expansion going on.
I would rather sell a lot of low upgrade worth buildings, but keep the basketball court.
(we know that warehouse and BC are two lowest I/H per square building, but the major difference between them is the upgrade worth)
What I mean here is that expand when you have a strong enough income/h (by replacing electronic store and so on at your limited place) so that expansion wont become your "burden" that you need to save hard for it.
Basically, I set it like this,

expand when your income/H X 25 = expansion cost. (one day prefect collect to earn it back)

This one is Just my general feeling thou...:(
Ex. Expand the 750000 side at 30K I/H , 1M at 40K I/H

I guess this tactic could fit perfectly to any player and give them a numerical idea of when to expand, no need to make tough decisions between keep or sell.

Hope this helps.

white frog
03-18-2012, 07:53 AM
Great thoughts, ShawnBB.. and great strategy too. As far as the x25 multiplier for expansion, that actually fits what my goal is for my next expansion (I didn't plan it like that, but hey.. it works). The one little issue that I personally see with that is that an expansion will not always allow for that kind of income increase, with expanding out only four squares in one direction. My next expansion is very closely followed by another expansion.

When it comes to determining which building to upgrade, I do the following:

1. Make 2 lists labeled Goal list A (higher income, ie MT's, Lofts, etc), and Goal list B (lower income, ie History, Fish, Laundromats, etc.)
2. Sort both columns by Hourly Upgrade/Upgrade Time
3. Focusing on column A mainly, start with the biggest # (upgrade vs. time) and work your way down
4. Utilize Goal list B items when you would normally sit still waiting for your cash to pile up for your next "A" list item

I personally haven't sold any of my buildings! There are many types of play styles in this game, and advice is generally geared toward one or two styles. Mine is that of a very patient camper, so I've got all the time in the world to save up for upgrades, expansions, etc.
Others chose to level up a lot faster, making real estate more valuable.

mac daddy
04-06-2012, 09:05 AM

Spot on... how about posts throughout the forum that refer to DEFENCE??

Plux
04-07-2012, 02:48 PM
Remember, Extra income is far better then no extra income. Building that $ per hour figure is key to opening the game. I used my MUI (Marginal Utility of Income) model to decide on Upgrading and Builds. Upgrading is all that's left as I've built everything I need to build. Cost is irrelevant to future retained income potential so ROI discards choices where MUI embraces choices. You always have the option to sell buildings later so recovery of 50% expenditure on builds and upgrades is always an option later in the game. Expansion vs Selling Buildings for those precious extra spaces in your hood. Expansion therefore becomes an option of last resort.