PDA

View Full Version : Defense vs Attack Units - Explained

Duke.0
03-14-2012, 01:53 PM
Let me start off by saying i have a lot of experience with Crime City, and i have been camping a little bit in Modern War so far.

I'm level 21 with ~$240,000/ hour
1777 attack
4690 defense
No gold spent on the game (other then the initial 10 which i used on a Pink Tree ...lol)

--------------------------------------------

I keep reading various posts saying how horrible some of the units are. But in reality, they are all good and have a purpose. Some units have more of a purpose than others.

Things like the Medic, Global Hawk Drone and Sea Scout seem like garbage since their attack is so low. However, i think the error of people's thinking lies in a misunderstanding of game mechanics.

1. When you attack a rival, your BEST attack units are used. This means that a Medic is probably not used in attack at all since it has a attack of 0.

2. When you defend a rival, your BEST defense units are used. This means that a Medic is probably used when defending, unless you have 500 GIGN or 500 Rocket Soldiers.

3. So...you can purchase different units for different things. Some units that have low attack / high defense are used only for defense.

4. On the flip side, units that have high attack and low defense, are most likely not used when defending.

5. If you add a unit that has 21 defense, it will most likely not add a full 21 defense to your overall defense score. Reason being it is replacing another unit already. If your lowest defense unit being used is 6 (for example), the 21 defense unit will only add +15 defense. The same concept goes for attack units.

6. The quantity of units changes with your level.
Your level * 5 = Max number of allies used in a fight
Your # of Allies * 4 = Max number of Units used in a fight.

Example: i'm level 21 with 141 allies, however not all 141 are used since there is a cap of your level * 5.

21 * 5 = 105 allies used.

Since there is 4 categories of Units. That means i can use 105 of each type of unit (Sea, Ground, Infantry, Air). For a total of 105 * 4 = 420 Units.

**EDIT**
It might be possible that you can bring just one type of unit to battle and not need any other types. Such as only having Sea Units. The game currently says "Each ally brings 4 units to battle" but it doesn't say what units are brought. I don't know this to be true, but i'm still going to assume that its one from each unit type being sent to battle.

It makes your army more well rounded too since it says some units are better vs other types of units.

Hope this helps the forum community understand how stuff works :)

-Duke

digitalwalker
03-14-2012, 02:25 PM
Thx for ur post.

and ur last part, the units brought to battle do not have to be from 4 categories each, one surely can have 420 pure air army brought to battle.

Duke.0
03-14-2012, 02:47 PM
Thx for ur post.

and ur last part, the units brought to battle do not have to be from 4 categories each, one surely can have 420 pure air army brought to battle.

oh ok :) i didn't realize this ....cool info!

digitalwalker
03-14-2012, 03:21 PM
I m sure this post will help a lot members here, particularly for those new players. Well done.

Dillinja
03-14-2012, 04:04 PM
Thx for ur post.

Yes, but then you would be not maximising the benefit of having one of each category. I'm sure MW works the same way as CC

digitalwalker
03-14-2012, 04:17 PM
Yes, but then you would be not maximising the benefit of having one of each category. I'm sure MW works the same way as CC

It's different here as there r country bounds, pure single country army would benefit more from the country bounds. So one should always buy units from theirs own country prior to other countries.

Colonelbob
03-14-2012, 04:56 PM
Great info. Thanks a bunch for explaining it for us new players. There's a lot to figure out when you start up. Cheers!

Mcdoc
03-14-2012, 06:36 PM
I know that CC specifically says that you bring units for EACH category per Allie (which is why I pretty much only spend gold to buy indestructible explosives), but I played MW before I ever started CC and I don't recall anywhere in MW that says anything other than bringing a total number of units per Allie and not specifically a certain division of what category of Unit is used like in CC.

If I am wrong here - someone please step in with a proven answer as I will seriously need to adjust my strategy.

If this was an error on your part - you might consider editing the original post in case Noobies (FNG's - LoL) don't read down this far in the thread.

Duke.0
03-14-2012, 11:20 PM
I know that CC specifically says that you bring units for EACH category per Allie (which is why I pretty much only spend gold to buy indestructible explosives), but I played MW before I ever started CC and I don't recall anywhere in MW that says anything other than bringing a total number of units per Allie and not specifically a certain division of what category of Unit is used like in CC.

If I am wrong here - someone please step in with a proven answer as I will seriously need to adjust my strategy.

If this was an error on your part - you might consider editing the original post in case Noobies (FNG's - LoL) don't read down this far in the thread.

I have never really thought about this before.
I assumed it was like CC that you bring 1 of each category (sea, air, ground, infantry) to battle per ally.

You guys might be right, it doesn't matter what type of units you bring to battle perhaps?

I just attacked a person and hit the ? after the battle it says

"Each ally brings 4 units into battle" but it doesn't say it has to be one of each type of unit.

Anybody have just one type of unit only? I have never considered this type of strategy before. Would be interesting to see if this is true.

Desas
03-15-2012, 04:08 AM
I am sure that in the current battles you bring your strongest att/def units. Me having a lot of sea units never seen them not being brought to battle because of the "per type limitation"

If to continue the att vs def thread questions, I am not sure what mechanisms are used when one has for example a unit with 10att/20def and a unit with 10att/5deff, which one will be included in attacking force? I would like that my weak def unit goes to die and not the others, but I had experience of both cases and still trying to clarify myself on this, but maybe someone already has the explanation???

BTW, it would be interesting to have some bonus of having all 4 (inf, grn, air, sea) in both attacking and defending sets. I mean the army of only air units should be vulnerable in reality, same applies to any other type. That way the balance of the game would be more interesting, with and you would need to develop all types of units...

Would like to add this as a improvement suggestion to the game - just don't have the idea on how to manage this bonus??? Like +10% power for balanced army or more causalities for unbalanced one...

digitalwalker
03-15-2012, 05:31 AM
I am sure that in the current battles you bring your strongest att/def units. Me having a lot of sea units never seen them not being brought to battle because of the "per type limitation"

If to continue the att vs def thread questions, I am not sure what mechanisms are used when one has for example a unit with 10att/20def and a unit with 10att/5deff, which one will be included in attacking force? I would like that my weak def unit goes to die and not the others, but I had experience of both cases and still trying to clarify myself on this, but maybe someone already has the explanation???

BTW, it would be interesting to have some bonus of having all 4 (inf, grn, air, sea) in both attacking and defending sets. I mean the army of only air units should be vulnerable in reality, same applies to any other type. That way the balance of the game would be more interesting, with and you would need to develop all types of units...

Would like to add this as a improvement suggestion to the game - just don't have the idea on how to manage this bonus??? Like +10% power for balanced army or more causalities for unbalanced one...

For two units with the same attack stats, if they both r not from ur own country, i.e., no country bounds added. Then the one with lower stat in defence with be brought to battle pirio to the other.so in ur example.

10att/20def and a unit with 10att/5deff. If u attack, 10A/5D one is the first unit than the other.

Mudphud
03-15-2012, 06:06 AM
For two units with the same attack stats, if they both r not from ur own country, i.e., no country bounds added. Then the one with lower stat in defence with be brought to battle pirio to the other.so in ur example.

10att/20def and a unit with 10att/5deff. If u attack, 10A/5D one is the first unit than the other.

I agree with half this statement. If you have a unit that has your country bonus, it will always be brought into battle first. ie) if you are England, a Sea Scout will go into battle over a fighter jet, tree sniper, tank etc... However, the game seems to pick the next units that they bring into battle at random. For one battle, it will bring all your Tree snpiers and for the next battle it will choose all the fighter jets. I haven't found a pattern to be exploited. In addition, the bonuses from boost buildings do not help the computer choose which units to bring into battle. ie) my genetics lab is at the highest level of all my boost buildings, but it doesn't cause my tree snipers to be brought into battle first. The only boost that seems to matter for unit selection is the country bonus.

And to answer the other question, you bring your 4 best units per ally based only on attack score. You do not need 1 of each type.

digitalwalker
03-15-2012, 06:29 AM
Yes, u r right, didn't varify it very carefully, Ty.

Mcdoc
03-15-2012, 10:07 AM

Oh no - we've been begging forever to get the casualty rate lowered . . . Don't give them any reason or excuse to raise it it higher :?

Desas
03-16-2012, 01:46 AM

What I have seen, with no clear pattern when & why, that my snipers (5a/3d) vs APC (5a/14d) although the snipers were above APC in the attack list, but there were only for example only 80 of them brought to battle, although I had 100 snipers. And then the 20 APCs were brought to attack, when they should be exchanged by my snipers...

And that's not happening every time...

I am UK, and I have only 1st level boost buildings for inf+ground. So no explanation here.

Desas
03-16-2012, 01:51 AM
Oh no - we've been begging forever to get the casualty rate lowered . . . Don't give them any reason or excuse to raise it it higher :?

No offence Mcdoc, but for me an army of 2000 railguns or 2000 stealth bombers is a joke in the military oriented game. There should be some "real war" factor involved, and not just pure points calculation like in some child card game my nephews are collecting...

I am not saying increase the causality is the solution, but some bonus or malus should be applied to those who use all type of units versus only 1 type units. And that's is my idea of improvement :)

Mcdoc
03-16-2012, 02:34 AM
No offence Mcdoc, but for me an army of 2000 railguns or 2000 stealth bombers is a joke in the military oriented game. There should be some "real war" factor involved, and not just pure points calculation like in some child card game my nephews are collecting...

I am not saying increase the causality is the solution, but some bonus or malus should be applied to those who use all type of units versus only 1 type units. And that's is my idea of improvement :)

I actually agree with you - encourage people to be more diverse. I think someone calculated the cost it would take to actually buy 2000 rail guns or 2000 Bombers and it was like over 100 million - in other words almost impossible for a normal player - and even a gold player would have to spend a fortune.

I had suggested in another post for a Wish List of Über units for each category (not gold units) that had like 35 at / 30 def with very low casualty rate and one each that was Strong Against (SA) each other category.

For example:
Ground units - über stats - 1 SA Air / 1 SA Sea / 1 SA Infantry 1 SA Ground
Air Units - über stats - same as above
Sea Units - über stats - same as above
Infantry Units - über stats - same as above.

Such units available at level 50 would encourage people to level up to get these units, spread out the desire to choose different countries, and create more diversity out there in the rivals list. I think this would help achieve a similar outcome of not having pretty much everyone in the game be either UK or Russia with the current country bonuses and units available.

Funzio - if you're reading this - this idea could really be a game changer and add some serious revitalized interest in the game as well as some well needed diversity.

Just my 32 cents worth.

Desas
03-16-2012, 03:26 AM
I actually agree with you - encourage people to be more diverse. I think someone calculated the cost it would take to actually buy 2000 rail guns or 2000 Bombers and it was like over 100 million - in other words almost impossible for a normal player - and even a gold player would have to spend a fortune.

I had suggested in another post for a Wish List of Über units for each category (not gold units) that had like 35 at / 30 def with very low casualty rate and one each that was Strong Against (SA) each other category.

For example:
Ground units - über stats - 1 SA Air / 1 SA Sea / 1 SA Infantry 1 SA Ground
Air Units - über stats - same as above
Sea Units - über stats - same as above
Infantry Units - über stats - same as above.

Such units available at level 50 would encourage people to level up to get these units, spread out the desire to choose different countries, and create more diversity out there in the rivals list. I think this would help achieve a similar outcome of not having pretty much everyone in the game be either UK or Russia with the current country bonuses and units available.

Funzio - if you're reading this - this idea could really be a game changer and add some serious revitalized interest in the game as well as some well needed diversity.

Just my 32 cents worth.

I would agree with your idea with one remark - If I am UK I would still buy only Sea units of "über stats" to get my 10% boost. So still the need to have all four types would not be covered.

And to be honest I don't know what methodology could be applied to include this "all four types" approach in the game. Like for example "all types should be represented by at least 10% in your army set - you get +50xYourlevel attack", but then you will need excel to manage your army and that's annoying unless they include some "percentage view".

Mcdoc
03-16-2012, 04:19 AM
Well - they did kinda give a reward for a diverse force with the Boost Buildings so you can add more for each unit type.

I guess there is no real incentive to "balance" your forces or a logical way to encourage it unless they added a special bonus that if you collected all 4 über units for a particular unit type, there was an extra bonus on top - and another special bonus if you collected ALL 16 über units so people would want to collect them all :)

Desas
03-16-2012, 04:25 AM
Well - they did kinda give a reward for a diverse force with the Boost Buildings so you can add more for each unit type

Nop - if boost building are for all types (and that's the case) then I still go for my country units because of additional 10% boots. So no diversification with boost buildings...

Well... I guess I will have to go for 2000 railguns...(and throw away all valor units...) and wait a decade until I can afford that :)